Yakuza Kiwami 2 leak, lists new Majima playable story

Francium34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

Edited By Francium34

The Chinese description says "based on the highest acclaimed Yakuza 2, newly added playable Majima story". Although various sources (neogaf, Twitter, gaming sites) have passed the leak on, no one seems to realize (or react) to the new Majima bits???? (Wario64 ran the text through Google translate, which promptly converted Majima's name to "island") So consider this a scoop I guess?

Personally I am very glad more Majima is added. 0 was my first game (watched beast in the east, and now playing the Chinese version myself). Majima was so good in it that frankly I don't have much interest in Kiwami, and even 6, knowing he is not heavily featured.

Descriptions also mention using Yakuza 6's dragon engine, which has people excited as well. (Everything else in the text was fluff, new cast face scan, voice, etc)

Yakuza Studios is hold a live stream 8/26/17 at 6EST (here). Apparently there will be other surprises. (Localization? HD collection? PC version? new game?)

Edit: Updated trailer here. Makoto is in it!!

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

Had a feeling it was coming (leaving 2 as the Japan-only HD release or only on PS2 felt off), but glad to see it (somewhat) officially confirmed.

Wonder when it'll come West... announcement at PSX for Summer 2018?

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

At least there's a pretty good chance of this getting localized within the decade. Pretty good time to be a Yakuza fan these days.

And... Beast in the East is saved from the PS2-era gameplay?

madman356647

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, Y2 ps2 gameplay wasn't too bad really. But, this isn't too big a surprise. 0 did really well.

That said, it'll be really interesting to see how Kiwami does since it's less zany than the others.

Also, Majima was always a rival in the other Yakuza games (aside from dead souls). 0 is really the first time they brought him into the spotlight.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Puchiko

I hope this means they would reconsider remaking 3, 4 & 5. PS3 versions still hold up but they would look awesome in the Yakuza 6 engine. Also they could fix the stuff they cut from 3.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza 2 is my favorite so far, i am on 4 now cause getting 3 was a pain and my copy didnt work. 4 is easily my least favorite so far, but i haven't gotten past the first new character yet. Yakuza 2 remake should be great, the combat in that game is actually good already and the story is the best imo.

Francium34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: @stordoff: Apparently there is a yakuza studio live stream scheduled for August 26 at 19:00 JST. Maybe they'll announce a date then.

I was just staring at (my version of Jeff holding things, lol) Yakuza Ishin a couple days ago on play-asia. That didn't even get a Chinese localization. I wonder how well the series needs to sell to get that one translated.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really hope they bring this to the west. While I actually own a copy of Yakuza 2 I was never able to play because my PS2 had decided it no longer wanted to play dual layered discs at that point, so Yakuza 2 is actually the only localized Yakuza I haven`t played. I was kinda just holding out for a PSN release of 2, but this is so much better!

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's great. I really wish they would at least just release a remastered version of the PS3 games so everything is on one system, Kingdom Hearts-style.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@puchiko: Don't remember when it was but Sega have already said they're interested in remaking the PS3 games too. Not sure if that means full-on remakes or just porting them up like Yakuza 0. Didn't sound like anything concrete, but hey, that was before this leaked so who knows what else they've got planned.

Francium34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madman356647: Will be interesting to see if/how they build on the narratives/character developments of 0 for Majima (pleasing both old and new fans might be a tough balancing act)

girtherobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes! 0 was my first game (loved it) and I was gonna play 2 after Kiwami but now I'll just wait. Sweet!

Still might play 4 after Kiwami, though, if I'm still craving Yakuza.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Yakuza 3 was my least favorite. I wasn't a big fan of the orphanage story arc. Yakuza 4 was the first multi-character story where it all comes together in the end and I thought it was very well done. It's got Shun Akiyama too so that's a big bonus for me.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Lets punch some tigers and watch castles split apart only to see a golden castle rise from the ground to replace it. Yakuza 2 is a weird game people. It's great!

Francium34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

updated kiwami 2 video (here) Makoto is in it!!

Avatar image for shoguns_decapitator
Shoguns_Decapitator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@francium34 said:

Boooooo this man, her story wrapped up perfectly in Zero, should've left her there, they also announced a Fist of the North Star game, which I imagine won't see the light of day in the West, probably, maybe, possibly?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Efesell  Online

Yakuza 2 is still my favorite even with the release of 0 so this is very exciting.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By odinsmana

KHH subs made a subtitled version of the trailer:

Loading Video...

It looks pretty fucking cool! I really hope they end up bringing it over!

They also announced a new spin off game with a new protagonist:

Loading Video...

Francium34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Francium34

@shoguns_decapitator: Yeah, the Makoto story line ended very well in 0. As much as I want to see the character and Majima interact again, the whole thing could venture into bad sequel/fanfic territory very easily. Or they kill the character for cheap tears...

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm more excited for this than Yakuza 6. Hopefully they've smoothed out some of the rough edges of the Dragon engine since.

As for Makoto, it might have been better to leave her story alone (we'll see), but I am very happening that they're bringing in more elements of Yakuza 0's story to hopefully smooth out Majima's character arc.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By TheHT

This is all great! More Majima is a pretty surefire way to keep me in on these games.

But... uhhh, about this other Yakuza thing:

Loading Video...

Fucking what. Please let these all come to the west.

someoneproud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice one, really hope it comes out in english. Wasn't so long ago I was badgering SEGA in the vain hope that they would localise Yakuza 5, seems since they bought Atlus they've come around on their localisations: Yakuza 5, 0, Kiwami & 6 out/confirmed already. It seems likely they'll localise this too but if not I'll still play it in Japanese, though all that text will make for slow reading with my aptitude (though it makes for really good practice).

@puchiko said:

I hope this means they would reconsider remaking 3, 4 & 5. PS3 versions still hold up but they would look awesome in the Yakuza 6 engine. Also they could fix the stuff they cut from 3.

I can't remember the source but I've definitely read something about the developers wanting to remake 3-5. A new 3 could be great if they added the cut content and tightened the pacing on those early chapters.

One of my favourite game series and it's nice to see them sending more our way at last, would like to get kenzan/ishin someday too but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played it on the PS2. Have no desire to go back just to beat that stupid boss at the end with the Uzis. Give me 6.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cerberus3dog: i am struggling to get through the first guys story as i am not invested in these characters at all. I saw some of 3 and the orphanage stuff looked good to me but only because i am invested in the characters from 1 and 2. 4 just seems like its own thing but starts off like i am supposed to care about this character they barely introduce.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Just finished 0 yesterday (Oh god the feels) and I'll be picking up Kiwami as soon as I'm done with Nier so pretty excited to hear this. Wish they'd do 3-4-5 while they're at it.

I guess I understand the skepticism when it comes to Makoto's inclusion but the story in 0 was SO GOOD that I'm willing to give them a chance.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cerberus3dog

@oursin_360: In addition to Akiyama, there are two more new character additions to Yakuza 4 (they are shown on the box art). I'll say it upfront, if you aren't feeling invested in Akiyama's story so far, more new characters are coming. IMO, of the new characters, I enjoy Akiyama the most. Even knowing that, I'd still urge you to continue with it because I think it pays off in the end; I was invested. If you plan on playing Yakuza 5, characters from 4 (not all) reappear heavily in Yakuza 5. Kiryu's main role takes a slight step back and acts as more of the common thread unifying the other characters throughout 4 & 5. Majima becomes a larger central figure and his backstory is fleshed out more in 4 & 5. Daigo and the Tojo Clan are prominent throughout 4 & 5. When I played it, I felt the story pay-off was well worth it. Each character's personal narrative intertwines towards the end into one big showdown (in the same manner Yakuza 0's story does if you're familiar) that was thoroughly enjoyable. Hopefully this gave you an incentive to see what's ahead or at least a warning of what's to come.

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

0 seemed like it was really well received so I would expect them to keep bringing the old ones up to date.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zeik

@oursin_360 said:

@cerberus3dog: i am struggling to get through the first guys story as i am not invested in these characters at all. I saw some of 3 and the orphanage stuff looked good to me but only because i am invested in the characters from 1 and 2. 4 just seems like its own thing but starts off like i am supposed to care about this character they barely introduce.

4 was my favorite Yakuza game for a long time, with only 0 maybe beating it now. It takes awhile to get rolling, unlike 0 (but 0 is actually kind of an exception in that regard), but it pays off in the end. Akiyama actually turned into my favorite character in all of Yakuza by the end of that game. I want a spin-off starring him so bad.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Efesell  Online

Kiryu was the weakest part of Yakuza 4 and that seemed crazy. Akiyama is incredible right out the door.

Francium34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cerberus3dog: Does every game serve well as stand-alones? What about game length? (1 seems shorter than the others, from what I've read?) As much as I'm coming off the 0 high, and looking forward to Kiwami and Kiwami 2, I am worried I (and Beast in the East if they even continue) will hit fatigue with so many long games in a short period. Kiwami 2 at least has a new engine, and new Majima bits to look forward to, but I'm not sure I can marathon all the way through 6 (not to mention the new one in development).

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zeik

@francium34: Not really. 1-3 are pretty dependant on Kiryu's story progression. 4 was kind of a soft reboot for the franchise, so you could feasibly start there without prior experience, but 5 is once again very dependant on 4's story, and 6 seems to basically open with the ending 5. (And also conclude Kiryu's story, so you'll probably want/need to experience the full series.) 0 is an outlier and can kinda be played whenever. (Before 1 or after 5 would be the most logical though.)

1 is relatively short, but the rest are pretty damn long. Roughly in the ballpark of 0. If Beast in the East does continue though I fully expect them to wait for Kiwami 2, so that'll be a pretty lengthy wait between 1 and 2. It's gonna be a loooong time until they get to 6 though. Also the transition from Kiwami 2 to 3 is going to be rough, considering Kiwami 2 will be the most modern game in the series and 3 is the least, lol. (That they would play.)

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@francium34: I agree with @Zeik. Though, I don't have much hope for Beast in the East continuing. The brawler aspect of those games doesn't go away and the combat is more clunky in earlier entries. There isn't as much voice over either, so expect more interactions that are just text conversations (I don't know how Kiwami handles this). In the end, there is more reading and just as much fighting. That's why I don't think Dan or Vinny will have fun watching/playing their way through it. And this is how I would expect people to hit fatigue if they played the Yakuza games in quick succession. I think they are all worth playing but people should give themselves a break in between Yakuza games. Kiwami comes out in a couple of days and that is more than enough time since 0 came out to go into it. For added encouragement, if you liked Nishikiyama in 0, Yakuza 1 is all about the relationship between Nishikiyama and Kiryu.

Francium34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht: @shoguns_decapitator: Sega had a localization survey about Kiwami 2 and the fist of North Star game. http://yakuza.sega.com/RGGStudioAnnouncementSurvey/

MudKatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MudKatt

Nice, 2 is the only one I haven't actually played so this works out for me. I'd probably buy them all if they remade them at some point. The cool thing about what they have going is the new systems. It doesn't seem to just be nicer graphics. I'm looking forward to playing Kiwami in a couple days!

As far as Beast in the East, I love that series but I'd be surprised to see it go the distance. The crew seemed pretty weary of Y0 by the end, so I have to imagine it'll be quite some time before we see it again.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: @cerberus3dog: its not that i dont like the character its just hes not introduced very well in this first part. I am probably a few moments from when his story gets good but i stopped playing for awhile and it often takes me awhile to get back.

Probably doesn't help that ths dvd i bought of 3 killed my ps3 drive, then after replacing the lazer the game still didn't want to work right. So after an entire week of fixing a ps3 then shipping that game back, and the lomg download of 4 i couldn't help but be a bit underwhelmed. Also not a huge fan of his move sets so far. But i am going to dive back in soon