• 98 results
JDoobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JDoobs

Is a Gamestop employee, it's been extremely frustrating for me to read all this hate directed towards me and my co-workers, even if most of it is indirect. Well apparently a Gamestop manager felt the same way, and made an effort to assuage some of the concerns, to bury some of the hate. So please, give this article a read, and maybe at lease you'll feel some empathy towards those who really are trying to give you the best customer service experience they can. 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I don't get angry at the people who work there, it's the general image of idea of GameStop. Things like how they'll take games out of the box and keep them separately. Sure, they don't always do that, but they're the only place I've been to that does, and I never know if they will or won't, so I don't go there. Also the fact that they pay you next to nothing and then sell it for almost full price is off-putting. 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

He told me to vote with my patronage, therefore, I will not shop there at all.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Azteck

... Troll? I can't tell. What kind of person gets angry at people who dislike the store he works at?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan

their service sucks.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By McGhee
@JDoobs:  
I use to work at Gamestop, and it was the worst job I ever had. Get paid minimum wage, but also push games without any commission. Being searched every day after work to make sure I wasn't stealing anything was fun too.

The Gamestop nearest where I live is run by douche-bags that look at you like you're an idiot not worth their time if you don't want to trade or pre-order games.  

Fuck Gamestop.
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Marcsman
@JDoobs:
Then stop selling used games as new. It's not that hard. 
Opening games for quality assurance. 
Yeah sure you are.
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blueduck

My friends brother has his own gamestop store I.e. he is the manager and he basically says the management and higher ups have burned gamestop's reputation to the ground. The reason I wont shop at gamestop anymore is because when I go to buy a game the checkout goes into slowmo while some guy behind the counter tries his hardest to get me to put money down on stuff I didn't ask for. It isn't that I blame this guy its just that I don't want to shop at a store where when I go hand my money in some desperate guy with a Please don't let me lose my job look in his eyes tries to get me to reserve everything in the store.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#10  Edited By tearhead

" All in all, if don't enjoy being harassed for reservations or sold opened, "gutted" games, you should probably just shop somewhere else. If not, read on: " This is what makes shopping at GameStop such a bummer for me, as I just want to get in and get out as soon as possible in any shopping situation. This is why I love Best Buy. Hell, if I could get release day shipping all the time, I would buy all of my games from Amazon exclusively.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EvilTwin

Article is overlong and uninteresting.  

Anyways, if you're self-conscious enough to be bothered by it and posting on Giantbomb, you're probably not part of the problem.  Doing your best to rise above the Gamestop employee stereotype is the best way to combat it.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Undeadpool

Most people don't hate the employees, they hate the corporate level decisions. Or maybe that's just me cause I've worked enough retail to be able to separate the two.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EvilTwin
@Marcsman said:
" @JDoobs: Then stop selling used games as new. It's not that hard. Opening games for quality assurance. Yeah sure you are. "
Who told you they open them for quality assurance?  This article clearly states that they open them for display purposes.  I dislike the practice as well, but an employee of Gamestop has no more control over the policy than you or I.
hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hexx462
@Undeadpool said:
" Most people don't hate the employees, they hate the corporate level decisions. Or maybe that's just me cause I've worked enough retail to be able to separate the two. "
This.  The hate spewed at Gamestop isn't meant to make the average employee feel bad. It's the shitty experience we all get when we walk into any of their stores.
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Marcsman

The douchebag who sold me Demon"s Soul. Last copy was the only reason I got it. Last purchase there for life.
Fuck em they lost a good customer for life. 
Face facts the assholes at the store took it home and played it then sold it to me as brand new. 
Last laugh is on them I only prepurchased it for $30. The thieving d-bag said the balance was clear. I hightailed it out of the store pronto. Which is not me at all. But if you are gonna rip me off. I will gladly return the favor.
27thRed_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 27thRed_Martyr
I buy and pre order from Best Buy because of free shipping and gift cards. I only got to gamestop to buy used games which is now happens seldomly.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By ProfessorEss

I don't typically shop there I've always received fine service from Gamestop (EBGames). 
Just another store as far as I'm concerned.

@Marcsman

said:

...Fuck em they lost a good customer for life.
...The thieving d-bag said the balance was clear. I hightailed it out of the store pronto.

Sounds like they lost a role model of a customer there.
TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By TheKing

"All in all, if don't enjoy being harassed for reservations or sold opened, "gutted" games, you should probably just shop somewhere else."  

Will do. 
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By crusader8463

I hate EB Games because their Canadian site sucks donkey balls because:

1. They never have anything but the newest stuff in stock. Anything more then a few months old is hit or miss.
  2. Their selection of PC games specifically is atrocious.
  3. They have horrible deals while the yankee one gets awesome stuff all the time.
  4. The site is always showing broken or wrong content

As for the stores themselves, well the one I used to go to was fine. Other then a few   unnecessarily  long lines and them always stealing my pre-order codes/gifts I have never had a problem. Not counting how they overcharge on pre owned stuff.
Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By ShadowKnight508

The Gamestop that I use in town does not have many of the issues that have been stated in earlier posts. The only thing that irritates me about Gamestop is how the person at the checkout starts pressuring me into getting the special edition of the game that I am getting or putting money down on/pre-ordering upcoming games that I really could care less about. 

Other than that, they do give me decent amounts of cash back for trade-ins. They gave me over $120 back for the 7 games I traded in when GameCrazy would only offer me $37 back for the same 7 games, so that is why I use Gamestop.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By dragonzord
@Marcsman said:
" The douchebag who sold me Demon"s Soul. Last copy was the only reason I got it. Last purchase there for life.Fuck em they lost a good customer for life. Face facts the assholes at the store took it home and played it then sold it to me as brand new. Last laugh is on them I only prepurchased it for $30. The thieving d-bag said the balance was clear. I hightailed it out of the store pronto. Which is not me at all. But if you are gonna rip me off. I will gladly return the favor. "
There's also unsealed display copies of Hannah Montana. You think they played those too?
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By sixghost
@EvilTwin said:
" @Marcsman said:
" @JDoobs: Then stop selling used games as new. It's not that hard. Opening games for quality assurance. Yeah sure you are. "
Who told you they open them for quality assurance?  This article clearly states that they open them for display purposes.  I dislike the practice as well, but an employee of Gamestop has no more control over the policy than you or I. "
Exactly. Why do you take personal offense when people insult gamestop? Obviously you guys aren't the ones making up these shitty policies. That said, it is pretty sad how employees try to push warranties on people unfamiliar with video games, but  I guess stuff like that goes on at alot of places.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jimbo

Reading that article makes it sound like a terrible place to shop.  Taking games home to play them and then selling them as new just sounds like it should be illegal.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By animateria

Eh, I got no bones to pick. 

Having worked at retail all that membership card stuff  is standard as hell. 

It's just that you guys need to get pre-orders as well which makes you guys do too many sales pitches all at once.   

Not that the corporate offices really give a shit how you guys or even customers feel though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't get angry or hate you guys, I just don't trade any games there or buy anything new there. I prefer Target to Gamestop...NewEgg and Amazon FTW!

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Clonedzero

i don't go to my local gamestop because they always barrage me with "want to pre-order this game?" "oh you like fallout? well you should buy ______ too!" or trying to get me to sign up to other stuff. i can get in and out easier if i go to target to pick up a game than i can with best buy, so i do it that way.

plus, this having nothing to do with the employees or customer service overdoses. but i HATE the whole pre-order bonus crap. it' seriously needs to stop, but dumb people will continue to pre-order so they'll keep doing it. pre-ordering is super pointless unless you're having it delivered to you. you will NEVER see a store run out of copies of a big release game or any game for that matter the industry is large enough that they ship in way larger quantities now to stores so they wont run out of copies release week.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By TheHBK

I love how Gamestop advertises price drops in games as if they are offering some kinda of amazing deal when the price has already dropped everywhere else.  Also, you are a game store, how is it that you are worse at stocking video games than non specialty stores?  Why do you tell me Zelda is sold out when I can walk to Best Buy to get it?  I know the OP is not responsible for this but as a gamer, how can you be ok shopping there? maybe because you get a discount? 
As for the gutting part, it is dumb to even suggest that it would be just as good as getting an unopened one.  Namely, no place would take that game back as new, you won't get your money back.  Would you take an unopened copy?  No one would, gaming is a culture, something we take pride in, I don't want anyone else having touched the disc, even for a second if I am paying a full 60 bucks for it.  So figure out how to allow people to browse new games without gutting them.  Or sell it at a used price.  I am not gonna take any sort of hit for Gamestop. 

Also, I saw a gamestop store eating a dick once. 

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By melcene
@JDoobs:  Personally I don't really have any problems with Gamestop.  I haven't had most of the issues that other people have mentioned.  The only complaint I might have is as someone else mentioned, the PC game selection is pretty shabby, and always disorganized.  I've NEVER had a problem with a code, unless it was on a used game, and that's my own fault for being cheap and buying used.  I occasionally get games elsewhere, such as Best Buy or Walmart or something.  But Gamestop has treated me well so I am a returning customer.

I thought the section on Reserves was interesting.  I got to experience this firsthand.  When WoW first came out, my husband and I had reserved 2 Collector's Editions.  Apparently there ended up being a total of 5 or 7 CE reservations at our particular store.  The store only received 3.  We lucked out because we were there when the place opened.  Other people... not so much.
OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By OneManX

I'm shocked that people are shocked that retail stores do fucked up things. I've worked at Best Buy and at a Wal-Mart, they are no different from what gamestop tries to do. imagine the way GS tries to hustle you into reserving a bunch of games, imagine buying a TV and having to try to get someone to buy an insurance policy for the TV, HDMI cables that are horribly overpriced. it's all about incentive and quotas in retail.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kishan6
@JDoobs: at my local gamestop every person who has ever worked there since it was EB games has been quite possibly the best and nicest employees that i have experienced
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31  Edited By JJWeatherman

Very interesting article. It's too bad it's several years old and riddled with spelling and grammar errors. Still though, interesting.

NikFreaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NikFreaX

Haven't bought anything from GameStop in about a year. I don't find their service any good.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#33  Edited By citizenkane

I have never had a problem with the Gamestop store I have been going to for years.  The people that work there are cool, knowledgeable, and help me with anything.  They also don't try to push hard on promotions like the extra content stuff GS puts into games at their stores.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By cornbredx

My problem isn't the employees themselves, its the way Gamestop does business and how they treat their employees I don't like. Basically the company itself I do not like, and whoever it is that makes the policies that make it such, not necessarily the employees of it.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By amir90

Much be hate in America then, because I have only but good experience with Gamestop, the trade in games deal is great for me as a student, having the biggest used games library (they basically started the used game market in Norway, at least in my town).
They even broke their release date just for my friend (because we were dumb enough to meet in the morning ON THE WRONG DAY), the people who work their seems to be desent, though the girls who work there sucks :p

Basically,  based upon my experience, I don't see a reason to hate them, though I am not loyal to them, if the store next by sells X game cheaper, I buy it there :)

SamSharp505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SamSharp505

What is meant by gutting the game? :S 

tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#37  Edited By tobygw

I absolutely hate it when they give me a "gutted" or used game that comes with that white sealing sticker over the opening of the case. Half the time I can not fully remove it and it just makes the case look like shit.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mordukai

All the hates might do well to think that maybe it's their "charming personality" that get's them this fine service.../s 

I never once had problem with their service. If they have an employee that comes planet "trying too hard" then I just tend to ignore them. As someone who's been in retail for over 10 years and in multiple countries I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that you the customer are sometimes at fault. The person is doing their jobs. AT least when I need their help they are there and not like the "fine service" Wal-Mart or Target or another gaming retailer that already went under) gives you. If you can find them that is.  

If you don't like they way a certain store does their business then just report them to the BBB and don't shop and stop whining so god damn much. 

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PillClinton

Amazon, baby!

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By bcjohnnie

The only reason I ever get super angry at Gamestop is when me saying very clearly "No, I am not interested in any trade ins or reserves" does not stop the employee from asking the same questions about trade ins and reserves to me.  I get that it is drummed into their heads to ask everyone those questions, but once I have already told them to stop badgering me about it, it just makes them seem like mindless drones, and it just gets me riled up.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the company, I've just decided to stop going in there to avoid these situations.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By septim

Yo your company sucks and essentially exists on a business model that is fundamentally anti-consumer.

Luckily with Amazon and Wal-Mart offering way better incentives, better prices, and better service, there is absolutely no reason to venture into the shit-hole known as Gamestop.

Enjoy ripping off little kids and stupid people.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By C0V3RT

I don't hate Gamestop employees, I hate the experience. I get that staff are just doing what is required of them and make a living, but if I can avoid it I will. No, I don't want a guide. No, I don't want to pre-order anything. No, I don't want to trade in anything towards this purchase. I avoid Best Buy now for the same reason. No, I don't want a magazine subscription. No, I don't want to wait while an associate has to go fetch my purchase because you've opted to lock everything up. I just want to go in, swipe my credit card, and go home. 

Before I used Amazon for everything and actually used Gamestop, I did deal with a dumb employee (asking me what console I wanted to pre-order Fable 2 for, following that up by saying they're getting more PS3 pre-orders then 360) but don't hold that against the company. 

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By yakov456

After I read what they start their employees and ASM/SM's at, I feel bad for them. Seems the company is really cheap on everything, not just trade- ins.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hexx462
@C0V3RT said:
" . No, I don't want to pre-order anything. No, I don't want to trade in anything towards this purchase. I avoid Best Buy now for the same reason. No, I don't want a magazine subscription. No, I don't want to wait while an associate has to go fetch my purchase because you've opted to lock everything up. I just want to go in, swipe my credit card, and go home. "
Having useless garbage that is essentially a waste of my money pushed on me frustrates me to no end. I don't need their bullshit replacement plans, magazines, over priced cables etc. They know they can hold you hostage once your credit card is out, it's so off putting. 
laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By laserbolts

why would you give 2 craps about people bashing the place you work and you for workin there?...its a job who gives a shit its all modern slavery anyways.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Afroman269

There are still douchebags who work at Gamestop. I also just hate how Gamestop poses as the cool store where you'll save money, which is full of shit.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Claude

I like my Gamestop. I used to love it, but they fired all the employees and brought in a bunch of replacements.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NickL

Would you like to preorder (game)?
No.
Are you sure?
Yes.
Would you like one of these cards?
No.
Are you sure?
Yes.
You really don't want to preorder (game), eh?
No.
Ok, you know you will get savings with the card right?
I dont need it. 

^my average "customer service" experience at gamestop and why i try to never go into one

just sell me my game and ill tell you if i want to preorder or get your dumb members card

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By benjaebe

I've never had a problem with the GameStop near my college. The guys who work there have always been really cool and helpful. Yeah, they'll still push preorders and stuff on me but it's part of the business.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By iam3green

i laughed at number 26.

If we don't have an item you're looking for, we can pretty easily check in with nearby stores so long as they are within our district. Some Gamestops even have an "On-hand Lookup" function that will allow them to search a larger area of stores for hard-to-find items. Ask if your store has this and take advantage of ones that do when trying to find specific games. The Gamestop website's locater is also useful, but limited to items in the online catalog.

i laughed at it because my friends went to gamestop (i came for the ride) he didn't preorder red dead redemption. he went there asked the girl  if they had a copy of it. she said no, you should have preordered it. he asked if she could call the one across the city. she said no and went onto the next customer(it was a slow day there, not a lot of people).  so we left and called the one across town they did we went there bought it. he ended up playing it.  there are three gamestops in one town. two of them which are eb games and electronic ect. both are in a mall and one of them is just a regular place. also at the mall there is a best buy. 

i haven't had a problem with gamestop this couple of years but i do kind of hate them man. it's not the people that i hate it's the company with their stupid policy with things.  sometimes i pick up friend from gamestop and they have to check him. i laugh at him.