You all agree with Rush Limbaugh on this issue! Really, you do!

• 92 results
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dalai

Wait, what? Him? Really? Yes, you all agree with Rush Limbaugh on at least one issue! 

Yes, Rush Limbaugh is part dragon.
Seriously! 

Today, someone called his radio show and asked him about the California video game law that is being challenged in the Supreme Court. It's an issue that I can honestly say that everyone here is in agreement with. We are gamers and we don't like having the government butting in on our entertainment of choice, right? Well... Rush agrees with you! 

RUSH: Cory in Waterville, Ohio, welcome, Open Line Friday.  Great to have you here with us.

CALLER:  Hi.  Thanks for taking my call.  I just wanted to see if I could get your opinion. There's a Supreme Court case that's gonna be pulled up on Tuesday. It's called Schwarzenegger vs. The Entertainment Merchants Association, and essentially what it's saying is the government will now have the ability to regulate video games, and they are not protected under the First Amendment because they're deemed to have no artistic, literary, or any kind of value to any type of demographic so they don't apply under the First Amendment.  Do you think that this is even a relevant thing that the Supreme Court should ever be even considering?

RUSH:  Well, they are considering it.  You know what I would say to you?  I don't mean to be a smart aleck here. I really, really don't, but I want to tell you something. You're 21 years old it says here; is that right?

CALLER:  Yes.

RUSH:  All right.  Now, I'm 59.  As long as I've been an adult, since I was 21, I have been concerned about the infringements on free speech that come from Democrat regimes and courts because I'm in the free speech business. 

CALLER: Mmm-hmm.

RUSH: I've been concerned about the reimposition of the Fairness Doctrine.  I am glad this is happening.  If it takes an impingement on free speech in something you're interested in, video games, to alert you to what's happening throughout society then I'm glad it's happening, because I'm sure you oppose this.

RUSH:  Your video game is your video game and you don't think the government should have any role whatsoever in applying any artistic sanction to it or any stamp of approval -- you can say that but you can't say that -- because that's not permitted.  The market should determine this, correct?

RUSH:  If you want to buy something raunchy in a video game, you should be allowed to, and if it's too raunchy the market won't support it? Fine, it dies.  If the market likes it, then we got a cultural problem to deal with, but the government ought to have nothing to do with it.  Right?  You agree?

RUSH:  Okay, then.  Join me any time the government tries to impinge on anybody's speech. Join me when the government tries to tell you can't eat trans fat. Join me when the government gets involved in all these other behavioral and speech things that they try to tell you and control us we can't do: What kind of car we have to drive, whether or not we're responsible for global warming, the kind of lightbulb we have to have, where our thermostats are. Get on board, my buddy. If it's taken a video game to get you interested and have the light go off, to have you see what liberalism is all about, I'm glad to have you on our side, 'cause I agree with you.  Leave your game alone.  The people that put together these video games are artists in their own right.  If you're gonna start saying that video games are raunchy, then how the hell do you leave cable television alone?

CALLER: Ha! That's one of the things that the Entertainment Merchants Association and all sort like the RIAA and the MPAA say. They're all saying the exact same thing.

RUSH:  Exactly right.  How the hell do you leave...? If you're gonna tell people they can't watch a raunchy video game then how do you allow 90% of what's on HBO or Showtime in terms of their original programming?  So, welcome to conservatism.

CALLER:  Oh, I'm no... I've been a conservative, as far as I know, for my whole life.  I've been raised like that.

RUSH:  Well, awesome.  Then tell your friends that this is where the battle is -- and you're familiar with the Constitution, make sure they are.

CALLER:  Great.

RUSH:  Thanks for the call.

Now I know the majority of you either don't give a fuck about Rush or just simply hate him, but I think he has a point here. Let the market decide what is acceptable and what is not, not some government entity. And now I've brought politics to Giant Bomb. I'm sure that's never happened before. 

Also, topics that are too long... also never been done on Giant Bomb before.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Dalai

Wait, what? Him? Really? Yes, you all agree with Rush Limbaugh on at least one issue! 

Seriously! 

Today, someone called his radio show and asked him about the California video game law that is being challenged in the Supreme Court. It's an issue that I can honestly say that everyone here is in agreement with. We are gamers and we don't like having the government butting in on our entertainment of choice, right? Well... Rush agrees with you! 

RUSH: Cory in Waterville, Ohio, welcome, Open Line Friday.  Great to have you here with us.

CALLER:  Hi.  Thanks for taking my call.  I just wanted to see if I could get your opinion. There's a Supreme Court case that's gonna be pulled up on Tuesday. It's called Schwarzenegger vs. The Entertainment Merchants Association, and essentially what it's saying is the government will now have the ability to regulate video games, and they are not protected under the First Amendment because they're deemed to have no artistic, literary, or any kind of value to any type of demographic so they don't apply under the First Amendment.  Do you think that this is even a relevant thing that the Supreme Court should ever be even considering?

RUSH:  Well, they are considering it.  You know what I would say to you?  I don't mean to be a smart aleck here. I really, really don't, but I want to tell you something. You're 21 years old it says here; is that right?

RUSH:  All right.  Now, I'm 59.  As long as I've been an adult, since I was 21, I have been concerned about the infringements on free speech that come from Democrat regimes and courts because I'm in the free speech business. 

CALLER: Mmm-hmm.

RUSH: I've been concerned about the reimposition of the Fairness Doctrine.  I am glad this is happening.  If it takes an impingement on free speech in something you're interested in, video games, to alert you to what's happening throughout society then I'm glad it's happening, because I'm sure you oppose this.

RUSH:  Your video game is your video game and you don't think the government should have any role whatsoever in applying any artistic sanction to it or any stamp of approval -- you can say that but you can't say that -- because that's not permitted.  The market should determine this, correct?

RUSH:  If you want to buy something raunchy in a video game, you should be allowed to, and if it's too raunchy the market won't support it? Fine, it dies.  If the market likes it, then we got a cultural problem to deal with, but the government ought to have nothing to do with it.  Right?  You agree?

RUSH:  Okay, then.  Join me any time the government tries to impinge on anybody's speech. Join me when the government tries to tell you can't eat trans fat. Join me when the government gets involved in all these other behavioral and speech things that they try to tell you and control us we can't do: What kind of car we have to drive, whether or not we're responsible for global warming, the kind of lightbulb we have to have, where our thermostats are. Get on board, my buddy. If it's taken a video game to get you interested and have the light go off, to have you see what liberalism is all about, I'm glad to have you on our side, 'cause I agree with you.  Leave your game alone.  The people that put together these video games are artists in their own right.  If you're gonna start saying that video games are raunchy, then how the hell do you leave cable television alone?

CALLER: Ha! That's one of the things that the Entertainment Merchants Association and all sort like the RIAA and the MPAA say. They're all saying the exact same thing.

RUSH:  Exactly right.  How the hell do you leave...? If you're gonna tell people they can't watch a raunchy video game then how do you allow 90% of what's on HBO or Showtime in terms of their original programming?  So, welcome to conservatism.

CALLER:  Oh, I'm no... I've been a conservative, as far as I know, for my whole life.  I've been raised like that.

RUSH:  Well, awesome.  Then tell your friends that this is where the battle is -- and you're familiar with the Constitution, make sure they are.

CALLER:  Great.

RUSH:  Thanks for the call.

Now I know the majority of you either don't give a fuck about Rush or just simply hate him, but I think he has a point here. Let the market decide what is acceptable and what is not, not some government entity. And now I've brought politics to Giant Bomb. I'm sure that's never happened before. 

Also, topics that are too long... also never been done on Giant Bomb before.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

I don't feel like reading and will more than likely hear the bitches on MSNBC rant about this sooner or later tonight. 

Summarize it for me.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By WickedCestus

I don't know who Rush Limbaugh is, but he has a good point here. Good on him!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, first Yahtzee, and now Rush? The fuck? How is it that the one issue that my enemies agree on is also the one that unites me with my other enemies? CONFUSING!!!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

I really dont think a 60 year old should be using the word awesome.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dalai
@KaosAngel said:
" I don't feel like reading and will more than likely hear the bitches on MSNBC rant about this sooner or later tonight.  Summarize it for me. "
Basically he's against that California video game law we've been hearing about forever.
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Ragdrazi

Wow. I think I get it. Republicans already smell blood in the water with how the kids have turned their backs on Obama. On this issue (as on a lot of them) the Dems are just bat shit fucking crazy. They think they're regulating a business pumping out poison onto children. So that of course let's Repubs take the opposite stance. They get to say: Hey kids! Republicans aren't about the regulation of the video game industry (or any industry at all regardless of how god awful terrible they are, but never mind that). Vote Republican!

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By endless_void

Good for him, fuck  Schwarzenegger

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Bennyishere

My god. He even called videogame developers artists. This is great! This dude probably has a lot of aging listeners too, and now they have a reason to oppose the Terminator.

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Joker369

cool, thats one more on our side

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Pinworm45

Dunno who this Weiner is, but I completely agree with him.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CaptainCody
@Ragdrazi:
Do you even know what it means to be either a Democrat or Republican? I hate it when people associate stereotypes they've built through years of conformity.
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By jonnyboy

Rush holds the top spot on the Def Jam Rapstar leaderboards. Not a lot of people know that.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By IBurningStar

Rush Limbaugh, welcome to my cool book.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Undeadpool
@Dalai: I agree with his point, but he loses me the moment he blames the Democrats for wanting a bill that was put forth by a Republican governor about an issue that Republicans traditionally favor (censorship of art).
jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jim_dandy

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By melcene
@Dalai said:

Now I know the majority of you either don't give a fuck about Rush or just simply hate him, but I think he has a point here. Let the market decide what is acceptable and what is not, not some government entity. And now I've brought politics to Giant Bomb. I'm sure that's never happened before.  Also, topics that are too long... also never been done on Giant Bomb before. "
I agree with him on all this.  Unfortunately, as we've seen in some of the threads on this suit, there are gamers who don't even care about this issue, so unfortunately, we can't expect them to care about the other issues.  A quote I've always liked..  

Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

Anyway... getting back to this  This is a perfect good point, and one that, on other forums, when you generalize it more, you can get people on both sides of the fence to agree on.  Why should the government have any right to decide what they subjectively believe is good or harmful? Because when we begin to give them leeway, where does it end?  Also, why should the government have to intrude on something like this, the video game issue, where we already have parents and the ESA/ESRB regulating it?
Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mmmslash

Hate Rush, but he makes strong arguments, when he's not being ridiculous.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I agree... with Rush Limbaugh. Actually, that wasn't that hard to say. He's right in saying that the market should determine what the market can produce, and that the government shouldn't mess with it. However, when he starts getting partisan he loses me. It's everyone's fault.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Diamond

I also agree with Rush that the Rape Party's mandatory rape policy shouldn't be law.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dalai
@Diamond said:
" I also agree with Rush that the Rape Party's mandatory rape policy shouldn't be law. "
I'm actually looking forward to Rape Party on the Wii.
PirateNeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PirateNeal

I'm actually one of the few who likes Rush Limbaugh (on this website). He makes alot of sence but often says bold statements that can easily be taken out of context which is how the news media tears him apart

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By Siphillis

For once, we agreed.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ragdrazi
@gakon5 said:

" I haven't read up on the case so I'm not really clear on what the guy means by "regulate" video games.  Like regulate content itself?  So this would be different from the "let's make it a federal crime to sell M-rated games to minors" law?  That certainly sounds bad.  "

This explains it:

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By jorbear

I may agree with him, but he is still a dick.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By Seppli

Dude - look... a little regulation is no wrong. Some games are not for kids. Kids shouldn't get their hands on them. There has to be somebody to keep them kids out of MY videogames.

I'd love to call on kids playing MY videogames. You know. Them online shooters that are for mature audiences? I'd love some regulatory agency policing XBL and PSN and kick them kids from MY games!  They shouldn't be playing them in the first place.

Everybody should get a biometric chip implanted that, amongst other things, includes a unique to the user online ID. Much like a passport, just for all of the interwebs. You ain't the right age, you ain't playin'!

Yep - I'm a technofashist at heart. Can't wait to hand off the reigns to our machine overlords!

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really think Rush cares about video games, he's just glad that this law gives him a chance to fear monger and bully a whole new demographic into supporting policies that keep rich white men like himself fat and happy.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Well, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Limbaugh is still no less of a piece of shit.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Seppli said:
" Dude - look... a little regulation is no wrong. Some games are not for kids. Kids shouldn't get their hands on them. There has to be somebody to keep them kids out of MY videogames.  I'd love to call on kids playing MY videogames. You know. Them online shooters that are for mature audiences? I'd love some regulatory agency policing XBL and PSN and kick them kids from MY games!  They shouldn't be playing them in the first place.  Everybody should get a biometric chip implanted that, amongst other things, includes a unique to the user online ID. Much like a passport, just for all of the interwebs. You ain't the right age, you ain't playin'!  Yep - I'm a technofashist at heart. Can't wait to hand off the reigns to our machine overlords! "
=Beginning Argumentative Post Protocol=
*FAILURE FAILURE FAILURE: CODE-135 IRONY DETECTED*
--Post significantly awesome--
=Ending Argumentative Post Protocol=
Yelix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Yelix
@Undeadpool:  I'm not one for arguing with the Giant Bomb community, but I frequently encounter Fox News and the like due to the fact that certain people in my family watch it, and they're generally pretty anti-PC. They even sort of agreed that the Taliban should be explicitly named in Medal of Honor's multiplayer.
Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Feser
@President_Barackbar:
No, he doesn't care about videogames, but he does sincerely believe in what he argues. It's scary to think that most partisans actually think the way they are talking - the only partisan I can think of that is guilty of fear mongering for popularity is Michael Savage.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@President_Barackbar said:
" I don't really think Rush cares about video games, he's just glad that this law give him a chance to fear monger and bully a whole new demographic into supporting policies that keep rich white men like himself fat and happy. "
Essentially this.   The 'caller' is most obviously a plant.  I know how talk radio works, it's mostly theater often with actors and friends of the show who call in pretending to be real people with real queries.  Even when it isn't acted (which is exceedingly rare), there's a 10 second delay to air which means that the host (via the producer) can be made to sound like he's interacting with a caller whose call has already been dropped.  I know this stuff because I've worked in talk radio.   Rush doesn't give two shits about the actual law, he's just glad to flap his lips critically at the Dems yet again.
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#34  Edited By jeff

MEGA-DITTOS YALL

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Jeff:  Feminazi.
blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blair

I agree with Rush on a lot of topics.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@Seppli said:

" Dude - look... a little regulation is no wrong. Some games are not for kids. Kids shouldn't get their hands on them. There has to be somebody to keep them kids out of MY videogames.  I'd love to call on kids playing MY videogames. You know. Them online shooters that are for mature audiences? I'd love some regulatory agency policing XBL and PSN and kick them kids from MY games!  They shouldn't be playing them in the first place.  Everybody should get a biometric chip implanted that, amongst other things, includes a unique to the user online ID. Much like a passport, just for all of the interwebs. You ain't the right age, you ain't playin'!  Yep - I'm a technofashist at heart. Can't wait to hand off the reigns to our machine overlords! "

But...but....what about porn? 

Just imagine all the pissy 16 year old guys walking around because they can't get their rocks off in proper fashion.

And also shouldn't it be up to the parents to decide what their kids can and cannot play especially if they are minors? I mean if they are shooting dudes in the face and yelling fag all the time, then where the fuck are the parents to smack them across the head?
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Undeadpool
@Yelix: I dunno, Jack Thompson was a Repub and it kinda seems like they're only in favor of free-expression when it serves the conservative agenda. Like they were the ones calling Mass Effect "the sex box."
marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By marrec
@IBurningStar said:
" Rush Limbaugh, welcome to my cool book. "
Listen tomorrow, I'm sure he'll say something to take you out of his cool book again. 

But really, it's not THAT surprising that Rush Limbaugh occasionally says something salient, its just that most of the time he is a partisan blow-hard with nothing at all interesting or factual to say.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dalai
@Jeff said:
" MEGA-DITTOS YALL "
Shouldn't you be working?
popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By popmasterruler

I agree with Rush on this but I don't think it's necessarily Liberals or Democrats that's backing this law.It's congress in general.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dalai
@popmasterruler said:
" I agree with Rush on this but I don't think it's necessarily Liberals or Democrats that's backing this law.It's congress in general. "
You've got a point. California has a Democratic legislature and a Republican governor so both sides are really backing this thing. Blaming only conservatives or Republicans is wrong because it's an oversimplification.
popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By popmasterruler
@Dalai said:
" @popmasterruler said:
" I agree with Rush on this but I don't think it's necessarily Liberals or Democrats that's backing this law.It's congress in general. "
You've got a point. California has a Democratic legislature and a Republican governor so both sides are really backing this thing. Blaming only conservatives or Republicans is wrong because it's an oversimplification. "

I agree completely with you.Honestly though both Democrats and Republicans are assholes,that's why I'm an Independent.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RsistncE

Rush Limbaugh is a fucking tool and couldn't give less of a shit about you or your freedoms. He's only speaking out NOW because it's a democratic government in power. Where the fuck was this shit eating fuckhead when the Patriot Act was signed? Oh wait, that's right, it was a republican government under which that was signed, so no problem at all! 

Not only that but he actually compares things like trans fats (which harm people and burden healthcare in the long run) and Global Warming (because you know, we don't need a fucking planet to live on anyways, right?) to VIDEO GAMES. The guy is a fucking douche and doesn't care about anything except his own bullshit agenda, just like every other politician and "pundit" in the US. 

PS. His defence of trans fats could also be used to defend the legalization of drugs. Of course he's a republican so he would never do that, because you know, you can just arbitrarily draw the line anywhere; you're either a libertarian or you're not. What a fucking fraud.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BraveToaster

He's a racist bastard, but he has a point.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Feanor

he was funny on family guy.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ryanwho

I hate people until they say something in line with me politically.

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PulledaBrad
@RsistncE: Republican president; Democratic congress.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By damnboyadvance

Wow, most of the community is actually cool with Rush in this thread. Everybody else just thinks it is a political move, or PR, and still hates his guts just because his political views are different than theirs.

And somehow, we have people talking about racism here.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RsistncE
@PulledaBrad: Oh I know that, but at the end of the day the goal is the White House. Congress is nice and all but yeah...