You know what the Carry reminds me of?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for eternalnothingness
EternalNothingness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Usually, in almost any other group-based adventure, the hero's friends would protect the hero himself with their own respective skill-sets, whether it's strength, intelligence, or heart. But by the climax of those adventures, it's up to the hero and the hero alone to finish the fight and protect his friends back.

For example, the S4 story-arc of My Little Pony? I know that there are plenty of you people who have never watched the show, so everything I say is going to be a spoiler. Technically, in that arc, Twilight Sparkle's friends fought against their own Elements of Harmony, taught somepony else about their Elements, and received keys from them as a result. These keys were needed to open a blue box containing Rainbow Power, but once the Mane Five did their jobs, it was up to Twilight to finish the fight by overcoming her own Element of Magic, teaching a reformed former villain about her Element, and receive her final key from him as a result.

Another example of this was the finale to Sailor Moon Classic. Technically, all four of the title protagonist's teammates all died defeating enemies guarding the villain's lair, just to carve a path for her to reach the final battle.

And that's what definitely describes MOBA's like League of Legends and DotA 2. That is, four players protecting a fifth until he maxes out on levels and gear, at which point it's up to him to finish the fight. The Carry is usually the main-protagonist, and the four other characters are his supporting cast. The supporting cast protect the Carry/protagonist and help him increase his levels and equipment. But by the end game, the Carry/protagonist is on his own, as if he outgrew his friends to become his own individual person.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

This... I don't have any... What?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No Caption Provided

I love it when I get to use this gif

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's always 4:20 somewhere duuuude! Now pass that shit here man.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@xanadu: I don't see how it is that accurate here? TC didn't really say anything wrong, it's just as random as you can possibly get that makes it kinda weird.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@zevvion: I didn't know you could only use that gif when someone says something "wrong".

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Budwyzer

@zevvion said:

@xanadu: I don't see how it is that accurate here? TC didn't really say anything wrong, it's just as random as you can possibly get that makes it kinda weird.

I feel that it's perfectly applicable. I came into the thread, curious what it was really about. Then at the mention of season 4 of My Little Pony I did a 180 and walked right the hell back out. Or I would have, if I wasn't so damn curious to see the replies. Wasn't disappointed either, perfect Gif placement.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@xanadu said:

@zevvion: I didn't know you could only use that gif when someone says something "wrong".

I get when it's used in those threads where someone goes on a politically incorrect rant. But this just seems like a thread meant for a subboard that got placed in General again.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something something darkside?

goreyfantod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By goreyfantod

You're not wrong, but I feel obliged to let you know that the pattern you're describing is as old as story-telling & narrative itself. Video games and children's cartoons are simply the most recent narrative genres to use this arc. Indeed, it's harder to find narratives that don't use this convention inherited from mythology than to find ones that do.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:
No Caption Provided

I love it when I get to use this gif

nailed it

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've done my research and came to the conclusion that bronies share a lot in common with fans of MOBAs. The Sailor Moon fanbase has yet to make an impression on me.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@456nto said:

I've done my research and came to the conclusion that bronies share a lot in common with fans of MOBAs. The Sailor Moon fanbase has yet to make an impression on me.

Ergo Bradley Shoemaker is a pony.