gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gtxforza

Hello

My favorite games released back in 2001 (They're about to turn 20 years old by this year) following are (In alphabetical order):

• F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
  • Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Project Gotham Racing
  • SpyHunter (2001 game)
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I never really played a lot of 2001 games (2002's another story), but mine's MGS2 by a LONG shot. Definitely gotta put Jak and Daxter up there too. I played a little Halo and Luigi's Mansion but honestly I never got enough time with either of them.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

Getting the tank in GTA 3 and firing the turret backwards to surpass the speed of sound is a top 10 gaming moment of 2001. That and the “A dud!” line from Metal Gear Solid 2.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gtxforza

@nateandrews said:

Getting the tank in GTA 3 and firing the turret backwards to surpass the speed of sound is a top 10 gaming moment of 2001. That and the “A dud!” line from Metal Gear Solid 2.

I remembered the Rhino (The tank from GTA series).

On 6-stars wanted level, Rhinos will appear.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

GTA3

Gran Turismo 3

Final Fantasy X

Metal Gear Solid 2

NBA Street

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2001 was the GameCube launch year IIRC. So for me, it's obviously: Rogue Leader, Pikmin, Melee, and Wave Race: Blue Storm. I never played the og Luigi's Mansion but that had its fans as well. GC had a pretty great and under-appreciated launch lineup. 'Course, I didn't get one until the next year.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollywoo said:

2001 was the GameCube launch year IIRC. So for me, it's obviously: Rogue Leader, Pikmin, Melee, and Wave Race: Blue Storm. I never played the og Luigi's Mansion but that had its fans as well. GC had a pretty great and under-appreciated launch lineup. 'Course, I didn't get one until the next year.

GameCube is such an underrated console.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA3

Gran Turismo 3

Final Fantasy X

Metal Gear Solid 2

NBA Street

Good choices.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silent Hill 2

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2001 was definitely not a top year of game releases for me. Looking over the releases for that year, not a ton of games I'm super passionate about. Halo is good, but CE is not my favorite (or even second or third favorite) game in the series. Super Smash Melee got a lot of playtime among my brothers and I, but Smash has always just been a casual interest for me. Tony Hawk 3 is good, but it doesn't have the nostalgia the first game in the series has for me. I've never been a huge fan of the sixth gen GTA games, so GTA 3 doesn't really do a whole for me.

In 2001 I was mostly playing games released in previous years for Dreamcast and N64. I got a Gamecube at launch, but didn't have a ton of games at first.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

First year out of uni, had a job, had a commute, so GBA games probably got more time than some of the bigger console releases.

• Mario Kart: Super Circuit
  • Advance Wars
  • Ico
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
  • Burnout
  • Halo
  • Super Monkey Ball
  • Gitaroo Man
  • Wave Race Blue Storm
gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2001 was definitely not a top year of game releases for me. Looking over the releases for that year, not a ton of games I'm super passionate about. Halo is good, but CE is not my favorite (or even second or third favorite) game in the series. Super Smash Melee got a lot of playtime among my brothers and I, but Smash has always just been a casual interest for me. Tony Hawk 3 is good, but it doesn't have the nostalgia the first game in the series has for me. I've never been a huge fan of the sixth gen GTA games, so GTA 3 doesn't really do a whole for me.

In 2001 I was mostly playing games released in previous years for Dreamcast and N64. I got a Gamecube at launch, but didn't have a ton of games at first.

Halo Combat Evolved is still fun but the third game would be my favorite in the original trilogy.

Super Smash Bros Melee is such a good fighting game when it came out.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

GTA 3

Final Fantasy X

Max Payne

also, that was the year Counter Strike took over my life

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gtxforza

@nickm said:

GTA 3

Final Fantasy X

Max Payne

also, that was the year Counter Strike took over my life

Counter-Strike is a good game from 2000!

GTA 3 was good.

Lionsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lionsy

I would like to suggest that there is only one true answer for this question and that is, Team Fortress Classic. 2001 was probably it's biggest year! It had just received a graphical overhaul (Moved to the Opposing force GoldSource engine revision, I think?) and for the first time the netcode was spot on. Conc jumping no longer looked like you had entered light speed.

hughj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hughj

@lionsy: I think it was 2000 that most of those big changes came into TFC. If I remember correctly, the 1.1.0.0 "TF1.5" patch was the UI, netcode, and conc jump change, which was in June 2000. The big changes in 2001 were the 1.1.0.7 and 1.1.0.8 patches which added the bunnyhopping cap and HLTV's release. I was always kinda bummed that the fastest era of TFC was never able to have HLTV demos recorded.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's quite a loaded question, i can currently think of 16 games from that year that are incredible so i'll pick 3.
Max Payne
MGS2
Operation Flashpoint
... Devil May Cry... GTA3... Onimusha...

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino: Good list of your personal favorite games from 2001.

Judoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, my mind was just blown with how many games that fall on my tentative "all time favorite" games list that were released in 2001.

• Halo: CE - This is a top 5, maybe top 3, all time game for me
  • Tony Hawk 3 - I can never decide if I like this or THPS2 better, though THPS3 is objectively the better game
  • SSX Tricky - Still waiting for a reboot of SSX where they get back to being over the top goofy, the last remake was a bummer
  • Max Payne - I played this game a year ago again and it still holds up. Love this game so much.

A game that probably doesn't make my top 10 but likely a top 20 contender:

• Super Smash Bros: Melee - I had fun with this game when I got a gamecube in 2002 but it was many years later in college having tournaments in my dorm that this game became one of my favorites

Those 5 games probably make 2001 the best year of games for me personally. Thinking back - 2001 was a year I was in middle-school, I got an Xbox at launch, had my own gaming PC in my room from hand-me-down parts from my dad, and was still playing Dreamcast games before its demise. Dam, that was a good year all around.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#21  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Lots of classic titles from 2001 to pick from, I'd lean towards:

1. I-War 2: Edge of Chaos
  2. Emperor: Battle for Dune
  3. Tribes 2
  4. Fallout Tactics
  5. Stronghold
  6. Serious Sam
  7. Severance: Blade of Darkness
  8. Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge
  9. Arcanum
  10. Civilization III

Runners up: Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Commandos 2, Operation Flashpoint, Ghost Recon, Max Payne and GTA 3

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stantongrouse: Completely forgot about Monkey Ball. And Advance Wars! AW was probably my favorite out of all those. I'll never forgive that jackass who stole it along with my GBA in middle school.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@fisk0: Red Alert 2 came out in 2000. (I just double checked this and I would definitely be including it on my list for 2001 if it was from that year).

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fisk0  Moderator

@fisk0: Red Alert 2 came out in 2000. (I just double checked this and I would definitely be including it on my list for 2001 if it was from that year).

oh right, it was Yuri's Revenge that was 2001, I just glanced at a 2001 releases list too.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@wollywoo: Yeah, I lost so much time to Advance Wars - I seem to recall sitting with it under my desk on my lap after my bus ride to work just sneaking one last mission before getting on with anything.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@gtxforza: yeah, that last bit about CS was just a side note. I remember going with some pals to an Internet cafe and playing CS for the first time, they were already obsessed with it. It was love at first sight for me. Rushed back home straight after to download it. It had to wait, however. Some serious shit on the news. It was September 11th.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: I never played the expansion. But RA2 was my go-to game for the next few years.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fisk0  Moderator

@fisk0: I never played the expansion. But RA2 was my go-to game for the next few years.

I never liked the Red Alert series as much as the mainline C&C series, but it was a good expansion for Red Alert 2.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Looking back now, 2001 might have been the most influential year of video games for me. Certainly the top 5 of this list I quickly though of contains quite a few of my favorite games of all time.

1. Halo: Combat Evolved
  2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  3. Max Payne
  4. Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis
  5. Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
  6. SSX Tricky
  7. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
  8. Aliens versus Predator 2
  9. Grand Theft Auto III
  10. Final Fantasy X
gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

Looking back now, 2001 might have been the most influential year of video games for me. Certainly the top 5 of this list I quickly though of contains quite a few of my favorite games of all time.

1. Halo: Combat Evolved
  2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  3. Max Payne
  4. Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis
  5. Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
  6. SSX Tricky
  7. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
  8. Aliens versus Predator 2
  9. Grand Theft Auto III
  10. Final Fantasy X

I wished if I get to play Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies.

Craig2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy X, Max Payne, Fallout Tactics

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Super Smash Bros. Melee. That was a great game. MGS2 is the best Metal Gear game though...

CoreyU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Metal Gear Solid 2

2. Final Fantasy X

3. Grand Theft Auto 3

Wow., quite the amazing year for games. That was around the time I started really getting into games on my own. I played all three of those games multiple times through. However MGS2 takes the cake for me because when it finished I was truly dismayed. I wanted to go rescue Olga's daughter! Also, I remember I finished that game right before dinner because I remember my mom calling me. I was like 13 btw.

Thegoldfether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mgs 2.

Gta 3

Jak and Daxter

Max payne

Halo CE

Devil may cry

No particular order.

The only ones I played back when these where relitvley new were gta, Jak, and mgs 2.

I was only 6 years old at the time lol

cubidog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo and Melee are the easy picks for me! So many hours were spent playing those games both alone and with friends. But I will say neither is my favorite of their respective series. Halo 3 and Smash Ultimate are just better to me.