gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gtxforza

Dear gamers in the Giant Bomb forums

Nearly a year ago, I've made a thread of favorite 2001 games, now this time, I'm here to make another 20th-anniversary game list thread as I would like to see you guys share your favorite games from the year 2002.

Here are my personal favorites:

• WRC II Extreme
  • RalliSport Challenge
  • Colin McRae Rally 3
  • Toca Race Driver

Sidenote: After Evolution Studios (The studio behind the WRC series from 2001-2005) was closed down by Sony Interactive Entertainment back in 2016, they got merged with Codemasters, while in 2020, they obtained the WRC licensing so I hope they will do well in terms of development.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By liquiddragon
  • Metroid Prime
  • Vice City
  • Hitman 2 - Silent Assassin
  • Mafia
  • Wind Waker
  • Eternal Darkness
  • The Getaway
  • REmake
  • Medal of Honor - Frontline
cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm just going by the first list that shows up on Google at the moment

Vice City
Hitman 2
Allied Assault
Mafia
Dead to Rights

Might update later.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My top 5, going off the Wikipedia article for “2002 in Video Games”:

1. Ikaruga

2. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

3. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos

4. Timesplitters 2

5. Neverwinter Nights

Honorable Mentions to: Age of Mythology, Burnout 2: Point of Impact, and Madden NFL 2003

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gordonzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, definitely. Bit sad that I can't get it running on a modern system.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I mean Metroid Prime came out that year and nothing else even remotely stands close as far as my nostalgia glasses are concerned.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By AV_Gamer

Kingdom Hearts: Before the sequels completely jacked up the story.

Splinter Cell: I played the PS2 version at the time, which was different than the Xbox and PC versions, but I loved it and had beaten it multiple times.

Dead To Rights: Because I really wanted to play the PC version of Max Payne since the PS2 version published by Rock Star was stripped of a lot its best content. But I didn't have a powerful enough PC at the time, and this game was a decent clone.

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2: Turned out to be the last racing game that I spent hours upon hours playing. Though that might change once I start Forza 5... and Dirt 5. Keep hearing good things about that one as well. Time will tell.

Resident Evil: This game blew my mind when I played it on the PS1. And I'm glad it eventually spawned a quality series of sequels, animated movies, and heck even Japanese stage plays. We don't talk about the live action movies.

Grand Theft Auto Vice City: Was my first modern GTA game and I'm glad. I got a chance to finally play GTA III and boy that game didn't age well at all. The improvements from Vice City onward were much needed.

Virtua Fighter 4: A great game all around. I especially liked the Kumite mode where you fought AI profiles based on real VF pros worldwide and rise through the ranks. If Tekken was starting to become to hectic, and it was, VF4 was a great alternative.

2002 was a great year for games. If only 2022 could be the same, but I doubt it.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By Nodima

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is obviously top of the pops. Dominated middle school hallway conversations, was an amazing easter egg mine on the IGN GTA forums and that soundtrack opened up a whole new world just as I was beginning to become The Music Guy at my school anyway.

SOCOM: US Navy Seals: Dude. Voice chat. While the second iteration would become one of the most important games of my life and an all-consuming activity (I was in a clan, for Pete's sake!) I was an early evangelist for the series. If I hadn't loved this game as much as I did I might have never convinced everyone to buy SOCOM II the following year and completely destroy our freshman year report cards.

The Getaway: For some reason this didn't appear in two separate listings of 2002 games for PS2 I scrolled through in writing this, but the placement of this game after this edit is important. I loved The Getaway and thought having to lean against a wall to recover health was cool, it made the gunplay feel dangerous because if it went south I'd be wasting time. But was so thankful that at least I wasn't dead. Valuable life lesson. Also: Charlie fuckin' Jolson.

Madden NFL 2003 / NCAA Football 2003: And as part of becoming The Music Guy it meant spending a ton of time playing Madden and listening to music pirated from Kazaa. Also a somewhat awful soundtrack that I nonetheless can still hear every song from in my head with a certain fondness. This also began a peak era for Madden as the NFL 2K series began seriously nipping at its heels after Sega dissolved the Dreamcast and brought it to other platforms. Likewise, NCAA Football was starting to focus on the little things, bringing in school mascots, getting the rights to authentic recordings of nearly every important fight song in football history and seriously expanding on the depth of Dynasty Mode. Online competitive play and importing roster files from NCAA to Madden was just around the corner but 2002 was the year that laid the foundations for one of sports video games' peak eras. 2002 through 2007 was a truly good time to be a football gamer.

Resident Evil: All that ever needs to be said about Nodima in 2002 is that when he wasn't slacking off at school and obsessing over the girl from the Kingdom Hearts anecdote further down this page, he was writing extended rally-style fan fiction about Resident Evil 2 on the IGN Resident Evil forums. This girl was a figure skater and young Nodima hated goths. Yet there he was, being that kind of nerd behind closed doors.

Resident Evil 0: And so...y'know.

Metroid Prime: Whenever I run down my history with the Gamecube, I always forget that I did play this game, I think because I never beat it. But it was very, very cool and scratched a Perfect Dark-esque itch for future sci-fi FPS action.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: I've never really been a PC gamer, but there was a brief period in the early 2000s when I convinced my parents to switch over from an Apple house to a PC house...unfortunately, we chose Gateway as the product and Windows XP as the platform, got introduced to the wonderful world of viruses and hardware errors and were back to Apple by the time the flatscreen iMacs dropped. But for a brief time I did have access to the PC, and while Blade Runner will always be the definitive Game I Otherwise Might Not Have Played, I have to admit that there was something immediately special about Stephen Spielberg's Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. This was Peak Band of Brothers (yeah I read Stephen Ambrose's original novel as well!) and this game just had everything going for it...even if I was the anarchist child who'd played Medal of Honor: Underground on Playstation and wished I could just use a Dual Shock instead of a mouse and keyboard.

TimeSplitters 2: This game animated beautifully, had multiple nods to Goldeneye, some really fun guns and a pretty unique atmosphere thanks to all the different time periods. I used to love just about any game that lifted Rare's "mission difficulty isn't so much about how strong your enemies are as it is the difficulty of the tasks we've assigned you" and TimeSplitters 2 is a shining example of the form. What more could you want in 2002?

Medal of Honor: Frontline: Obviously far less memorable than Allied Assault - though there was something about a tank and a bridge, right? - but for its time it still looked incredible, especially running on a PS2. It wasn't constantly crashing and making my console sweat bullets the way Allied Assault was that accursed PC, either, plus I could play it on a controller, so I liked it a lot.

Aggressive Inline: Tony Hawk's 4 didn't hold me long, or at least I don't remember it doing so - I probably played it for hundreds of hours - because the open world was actually kind of a pain to get around. Aggressive Inline came through at just the right time as nostalgia for Disney's Brink was just starting to settle in to a comfortable nook of my brain and all the Tony Hawk you loved without any of the stuff you didn't was right there - plus some cool riffs like tying skater skill to just performing the moves rather than plugging skill points into an attribute meter.

Eternal Darkness: Truly fucked up and novel game that I'm sure, were it to release today, I'd actually find a little pesky and annoying. But I was an eighth grader who watched The Real World, listened to Chevelle and Hoobastank earnestly (remember - I was only becoming The Music Guy) and couldn't form many complete sentences that weren't references to Chappelle's Show or South Park. This game fit right in.

Ratchet & Clank: Pretty, pretty good.

Kingdom Hearts: I can't lie and say I was ever able to ignore how annoying a lot of this game was even as a youth in 2002, but I was a Disney kid and knew all these movies pretty well so it was pretty much a given that I'd fall for this world anyway. Besides, I was also a Final Fantasy VIII kid and previews made it seem like Squall was going to be very important and very cool! First let down: a lame excuse for the developers being ashamed of naming this character Squall a few years back and changing his name to Leon. Second let down: gummi ship, of course. Most important fact: the first girl from my neighborhood that I made out with every day after school while watching Usher videos on MTV was a huge fan of this game, so I was a huge fan of this game.

Onimusha 2: I'll bet this game really sucks now, but in 2002 there was nothing I loved more than forced perspective games from Capcom featuring horror elements and this was damn sure one of those. I'll always stand behind Onimusha 3, though.

WWE Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth: Had a really cool branching path story mode, brought all the WCW heavies into the fold under the still-novel Yukes gameplay system and, well, this was maybe the last year I was a true fan of wrestling? Needless to say, I sunk a lot of time into this.

Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 2: Hey, it was 2002, the X Games were the most important thing in the world, and I couldn't ride a skateboard worth shit but I sure did ride a BMX bike everywhere I went. What more needs to be said?

Stuntman: Sometimes, you just needed a game to rent when you rolled up to the Hollywood Video on your BMX after Blockbuster was out of stock of every game you actually wanted to play and more often than not, when Hollywood Video inevitably was out of stock too, I'd pull Stuntman off the shelf. Don't question it!

Street Hoops: I might be lying about this one but some synapse in my brain fired off when scrolling past this on Metacritic. It's also an excuse to acknowledge all the games I should've loved but just never rented or did love but have nothing to say about, really, most of which are undoubtedly better than Street Hoops whose most important distinction was likely that it had the actual dudes from the And-1 tapes and NBA Street Vol. 2 hadn't yet released and made all other street basketball representations irrelevant: Gungrave, BMX XXX (remember, 8th grader - strings were pulled!), Suikoden III, Sly Cooper, Burnout 2, Hot Shots Golf 3, Red Faction II, ATV Offroad Fury 2, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Tekken 4, Knockout Kings 2002, Super Mario Sunshine

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

While it was good years for games, the ones I loved were:

• SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs
  • Medal of Honor: Frontline
  • ICO
  • Gran Turismo 3: A-SPEC
  • Dead or Alive 3
DoA 3 knows what it is...still a good game.
DoA 3 knows what it is...still a good game.

I played so much SOCOM in 2002, and it was my GOTY. I played the single player of US Navy SEALs a few times, and was on the multiplayer was much as I could in my shiity apartment that was always COLD!!! I really enjoyed MoH: Frontline, I consider it the last good Medal of Honor game, because Rising Sun was a dud. I guess ICO is an aquired taste, but I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the story; if i think about really emotionally moving games ICO is near the top. Again, with my rants, but I think GT 3 was the last one I really liked; yeah, sorry, I think every single GT games since A-Spec is just not as good. Lastly, if there is a fighting game that does not get enough respect it is DoA. Yes, it IS creeper-bait, and it is admittedly all their own fault for making it that way. But with that said, Dead or Alive, has a POV that is unique.

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

Games I actually played and Loved in 2002:

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - As soon as I heard I was getting an Xbox for my birthday, I ran out and grabbed this. Do want to go back to it one day and try to finish it.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - Just absorbed this game from start to finish.

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance - This was one of those games where the memories are primarily associated with playing with others. I always hear shit directed at the 3D MKs and I'm never there for it because of how much I played this.

Games I played in other years:

Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil 0 - The remake is probably my second favourite Resident Evil game after VII and I also enjoyed Zero despite its flaws.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

@nodima said:

The Getaway: For some reason this didn't appear in two separate listings of 2002 games for PS2 I scrolled through in writing this, but the placement of this game after this edit is important. I loved The Getaway and thought having to lean against a wall to recover health was cool, it made the gunplay feel dangerous because if it went south I'd be wasting time. But was so thankful that at least I wasn't dead. Valuable life lesson. Also: Charlie fuckin' Jolson.

I have The Getaway. I wanted to love that game, because of the very well done presentation. It captures the gritty British crime drama almost perfectly, from the authentic backstreet slang, to the savage, ruthless nature of the characters. But the bad camera angles and the poor shooting and driving mechanics kept it off my list. And the final mission was just torture.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@av_gamer: No doubt, The Getaway is hell to play. But it was 2002, I was 14, and quoting from Lock, Stock and Barrel and Snatch couldn't possibly get driven into the ground at that time at that age. I could overlook a lot in order to play a British crime drama.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking at the wikipedia article on games released in 2002 and I'm shocked. Besides Warcraft III and Kingdom Hearts I haven't played any games from that year. I guess I was just playing a bunch of JRPG's from PS1 era at the time or something.

For context I did not own a Gamecube, Xbox or GBA. Primarily played on PC, N64 and PS2.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino: That's a really awesome list of games!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Onemanarmyy
  • Warcraft III
  • Vice City
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Age of Mythology
  • Virtua Fighter 4
  • Timesplitters 2
  • No One Lives Forever 2
  • Drakan: The Ancient Gates
  • Freedom Force
gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After I heard users listed GTA Vice City as part of their list of personal favorite games of 2002.

This inspired me to listen to this!

Loading Video...
cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gordonzilla: Your message scared me so i had to check, Allied Assault does work, at least for me, i'm using the War Chest verison on GOG, only requires a config edit to run in modern resolutions.

Here's the guide for doing it, and a couple screenshots i just took to celebrate.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

The Resident Evil remake is still one of my favorite games of all time, so I'd probably say that. I also loved

TimeSplitters 2

Red Faction 2

Medal of Honor: Frontline

Mafia

Ratchet and Clank

Die Hard Vendetta

I suspect not many of those hold up all that well, but at the time I loved them. TimeSplitters is probably the only one I can still go back to and have honest fun. I still load of RF2 on the PS4 from time to time for nostalgia's sake, but it plays pretty rough. The original Ratchet and Clank was quickly made obsolete a year later, but at release it was a novel and fun game.

Mafia was likely the first game thought I thought had a legitimately good story. I'd be interested in playing the remake. I don't think any MoH game plays even remotely well by today's standards. And while I haven't played it since I was probably like 6 or so, I will recognize that Die Hard Vendetta is probably a wretched pile of shit, but MAN did I play that thing a lot.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By styx971

i didn't have a ton of new games at that age ( would have been 12 and didn't really have an allowance because single mother n all) and while now n then i do i don't usually go back to old games to find things i like i might have missed bargain bin deals aside back then. so skimming wikipedia and seeing releases from that year ( NA releases only , WW isn't gonna win on a technicality!) i guess my games of note would be..

1. Shenmue 2 -xbox( i beat it 3 times back to back i loved it so much )
  2. Morrowind -xbox ( my 1st game of this ilk and i fell in love with how open it was. still my favorite elder scrolls)
  3. Age of Mythology ( not gonna lie i still love that game as of its extended edition a few good years back)
  4. Super Mario Sunshine ( i never beat it but damn if i didn't like jumping around trees n stuff in that hub area)
  5. Buffy the Vampire Slayer -xbox ( it wasn't an amazing game but young me really liked it)
Gordonzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame: That is awesome, and thank you for sharing. :)

Spliffmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Metroid Prime

2. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

3. Timesplitters 2

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Super Mario Sunshine

Metroid Prime

Dark Cloud 2

Kingdom Hearts

Legend of Zelda: the Windwaker

Didn't realize 2002 had a lot of great games.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Kingdom Hearts

2. ICO

3. Tony Hawk 4

4. Vice City

5. Stuntman (never could beat that last stage, though)

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Morrowind, Wind Waker, Neverwinter Nights, Age of Mythology

theglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2002 was a weaker year for my personal tastes (I only really stand by the top 3 as games I truly love) but here's a top ten anyway:

1. Warcraft III

2. Ratchet and Clank

3. Hitman 2: Silent Assassin *

4. Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus

5. GTA: Vice City *

6. Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast *

7. Age of Mythology

8. Heroes of Might and Magic IV

9. Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter

10. Star Wars: Bounty Hunter

*Games I didn't play until later in life