Your favorite self-imposed restriction in a game?

• 70 results
hencook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So a game is too easy, or something in the game is just plain broken, but you may love the game and want to feel challenged.

Example: Symphony of the Night's enemies did so little damage, it's probably a good idea to play the game ignoring armor on your first run.

For the most part, self imposed restrictions rarely turn out well for games. They're untested balance fixes created by the end-user in order to fix a fundamental flaw with the game. The SotN example is the only one I can think of that actually turned out positive for me. What about you?

Triced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Triced

SMB3 beat the game with only the original number of lives given collecting no 1ups and avoiding end of level card match-ups.

This one is actually kind of tough you have to actively avoid getting 100 coins, avoid getting matching cards, know what blocks not to hit that contain 1-ups, and even then after all that you still end up getting 1ups for every 3 regular stages beaten anyway. This game is practically begging you to help yourself to a huge serving of extra lives. But it is satisfying enough to run through it (no whistles? come on man!) with a buddy trying this.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whenever I play a game like Mass Effect where there are big choices, I only ever have one save. This made Mass Effect 2 and 3 really hard for me because I got a bunch of people killed who I really did not intend to get killed.

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the batman games on insane or whatever with no upgrades. All of them except origins. That made the game probably last twice as long.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Modern stealth games always give way too easy an out to succeed while still failing at the original purpose of the game. In games like Splinter Cell Conviction, Dishonoured, or even Deus Ex Human Revolution (to a lesser extent since stealth isn't necessarily the only path) I reset the checkpoint if I fail the stealth. I did that a lot when tackling enemy outposts in Far Cry 3 as well.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Test of Faith achievement (kill no enemies) in Mirror's Edge. I think avoiding the gunplay in that game made it a better experience. I hear people complain about the shooting in that game a lot and I just think, "wait, what shooting?" before remembering that's probably not how most people played. Here's to hoping the next game allows a similar option!

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No fast travel

Avatar image for storytimeshendo
StoryTimeShendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim: Frostfall and no magic other than shouts

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I played through Ocarina of Time without ever picking up a piece of heart or boss heart container (so 3 hearts for the whole game).

In all honesty, it didn't even make the game that much harder, between having bottles and fairies. The 2D Zeldas all have some real horse shit high damage values on certain enemies, but the 3D Zeldas have all been way more forgiving about damage.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@hatking: Not killing anyone was surprisingly more enjoyable than I thought it would be. More thematically consistent, as well. Final level probably wouldn't have made me want to throw my controller if I could've shot someone, but it just made the ending all the sweeter. Also, that ending theme... :D

No summoning in Souls or Souls-like games. Nothing against people who do, but I just can't get any sense of accomplishment if someone helps me. Pretty common one, I think.

This is much more general, but if a game has stealth, I can't help but want to play it ghost style: not spotted and no kills (if possible). Has probably led to me disliking a lot of games in the long run, but I think the average is in my favor. Becomes extra infuriating when games have bugged trophies relating to these mechanics (Dishonored's "Ghost" trophy, AAAAAARRGH!).

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

@hatking: I did the same thing. Faith felt like a character that wouldn't go around shooting people.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Helmet cam in racing games.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I usually play modern stealth games purely with melee takedowns. And I obsessively hunt down every guard in the area just for kicks. Alert= reload.

Stealth games are way too fucking easy nowadays. And then on top of that you get a shitton of tools to make it even easier. I really don't understand why there is almost no catering at all to challenging stealth anymore. :(

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Abetorias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No radar in MGS1. If you have headphones throw them on and track enemies in first person using the power of stereo. As a bonus, it makes you actually look at the game.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Never use items in JRPGs...though, if I'm being honest, that probably has more to do with just being lazy on my part.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I know at some point I played a pokemon game and could only use regular pokeballs, I eventually caught one of the legendary pokemon but only one and it took several hours.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS3 on Hard. Always equip the cigar. Can only use the AK-47. Always naked.

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not using any consumables ever.

WHY WON'T I LET MYSELF USE ANY CONSUMABLES?

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've done some interesting things with Skyrim. My favorite was being a magic/melee character who didn't have any weapons and I would pick up the weapon of the first guy I killed and drop that stuff when the battle was done. I would also mess with trying to take 'volume' into account in my inventory and not picking up lots of (or really any) armor and weapons as loot.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Spoonman671

Just going back to checkpoints if caught in a stealth game.

I did a Dark Souls playthrough in which I only used my uchigatana two-handed. I don't think that counts.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has to look cool. I never resort to glitching mobs in a corner or just spamming the same attack over and over again becouse i found an easy op combo. Use every ability, try different combinations and mix it up, always.

Games usually get much better like this than the standard "i just mash x and dont really care to block" approach.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The MGS games, especially from MGS2 onwards have always been extremely easy by default so the difficulty is really what you make of it. I avoid using certain items (e.g. thermal goggles) and set the difficulty to Extreme whenever I can. I also limit myself on certain bosses. E.g. making The End boss battle a true sniper duel. Just using a sniper rifle, binoculars and camouflage. Sometimes also limiting myself to 1 outfit/face paint combination as well and restarting every time I get hit.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@bisonhero: I did this with the first three 3D Zeldas. My other self imposed goal was to get 100% of everything BUT the heart pieces. This proved most difficult in Wind Waker when I would miss photo opportunities or find a heart piece when hoping for a chart. I restarted that play though a handful of times.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not playing it on the hardest difficulty the first time through so I get more replay value out of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brawlers like Double Dragon or Streets of Rage without continues or extra coins.

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I usually end up playing through The Elder Scrolls games using only fists and rags. It was pretty hard IIRC with Morrowind, since I first played it on the original Xbox - ergo, no mods. (I almost typed Xbox one there...)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@triced: You must be much better at SMB3 than I am, because I died all the time, especially in the last world.

As for the topic, I don't recall any imposing any particularly demanding restrictions on my gaming.I know that I tend to prefer to keep my RPG characters set in whatever their base class is, as opposed to making them all powerful.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Ghostiet

Ghosting in the original Thief series - leaving literally no trace in the place you robbed, including closing doors you've opened and keys you've stolen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always start a game out on the hardest difficulty available. If I feel that the difficulty curve is handled fairly and I'm having fun I keep it. But if the higher difficulty is "fake" I revert to the default.
Examples: absurd HP totals that just drag out boss fights, unfair penalties that make gameplay a chore, AI that literally cheats, such as an RTS AI knowing exactly where your units are at any given time.

The_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I wouldn't let myself continue in House of the Dead 1 or Time Crisis 2 more than once, and even then only if I passed a specific checkpoint.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing that actively makes a game harder per se, but occasionally, I'll set a no fast travel rule. If you want to go anywhere, you're hoofing it.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

None. It never feels the same from truly having that option build into the game. I try it sometimes. Most 'recently' in Fallout 3 where I tried to eat and drink to survive. At some point I felt too self conscious and thought 'what the hell am I even doing'. Then New Vegas had that option build in and it was so much more fun than self imposing.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would see how far I could get in GTA3 without saving.

I'm trying to think of something better that I did but nothing is coming to me.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not much of a challenge, but in games where armour changes the look of your character I dress for success. Would that new helmet up my defence by 5 points? It sure would, but it would also make me look like an idiot. I would rather die a million deaths while looking cool than beat this game.

Same mentality that kids who bike without a helmet use I suppose... not that I've ever done that...

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By audiosnow

I've done No Fast-Travel runs in Fallout 3. I've never gone through the whole game that way, but there's something about having to trek through the wastelands. Fast-travel can make games just a mill of quest, talk, kill, quest, talk, kill, while denying yourself any immersion in the space and world.

EDIT: @rejizzle: When I got the box cover armor in Dark Souls 2, I wore it despite it being quite a bit worse than what I already had. That fur collar...

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

This probably isn't much of a self-imposed restriction because it's built into the game, but I loved playing Far Cry 4 on Hard with the mini map turned off. Really throws you into the game world by forcing you to pay attention to your surroundings instead of following icons on a map in the corner.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back in my first playthrough of Oblivion I did a "no fast travel" game. So basically I had to walk freaking everywhere. It actually wasn't all that bad.... in fact the game is probably more fun that way. The last time I did anything "seriously" restrictive was I played Dragon Age Inquisition on Nightmare right out the gate on my first run. I also did a "no death" completionist run on Dragon Age Origins on Nightmare but that actually only took 2 tries funny enough.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through all of the first Bioshock with the melee weapon cause I thought the guns handled like shit. I also played through all Infinite with just the first pistol 'cause again the game played like shit and I wanted to make it more interesting.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: But the spanner is the strongest weapon in that game! You had it easy.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I was disappointed they didn't bring hardcore mode (I think that's what it was called in New Vegas) to Skyrim.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No fast-travel in Skyrim, no summoning help during first Dark Souls playthrough and no upgrading weapons until I'm far into the game.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By recroulette

In every Pokemon after Silver I have ditched the starter they gave you and caught a different Pokemon to use as my starter. Feels more natural.

Y was a ton of fun with my starting Pokemon Weedle. Only makes it harder near the beginning, but still

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Playing solo on Monster Hunter. I've tried playing online with MH4U (even joined the GB Hunting team), but it's so much satisfying to take down a monster all by yourself.

Plus, considering the mechanics of the weapon I use, there's a pretty big advantage to playing solo. Any MH fans here (MH fans on GB, lol) wanna guess which weapon that is?

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sravankb: I play offline for the same reason with the lance. I'm jumping on that monsters back and ain't nobody going to stop me.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

No Item/No Upgrade runs on Ninja Gaiden Black

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim: only using items ,weapons and armor I find. I can only equip Armor and weapon that I agreed to use at beginning of the game. ( Leather/med armor with a 2-handed sword) and Limited spell access such as only using fire spells.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By egg

In Mega Man X4 I came up with my own trophies (I actually posted a thread about that) and they pretty much involve self imposed restrictions such as:

• no subtanks
  • never revisiting stages
  • not collecting armor (or only collecting certain pieces of armor)
  • never using the x-buster (my greatest trophy idea)

I'm sure there are other games where I've had self imposed restrictions, but none come to mind at this very moment.

One thing I always do in games however, at least, is never to claw (i.e. never use face buttons while using righthand analog, or dpad while using lefthand analog) no matter how much the game suffers as a result. The games should have been designed not to require it. Nowadays I do similar self-imposed restrictions such as never using a guide under any circumstance, and always picking the default settings and difficulty first and not changing them until I see the need to.

One thing I did once when playing Mortal Kombat games, which really infuriated my nephew for some reason, is never to check the movelists. MK games require players take turns pausing the game to check movelists (unlike many Tekken games which allow players to check movelists at the same time) and I felt so indignified by the fact that I refused to check movelists at all, instead just letting my nephew check them and afterwards I'd simply spam the same move over and over. This invariably resulted in my repeated victories over my nephew.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Whenever I try to self impose rules I either find myself breaking them halfway through or quitting the game when I hit a point that is made unreasonably difficult by the restriction I've gone for.

I really enjoy 'hardcore' modes like in Fallout New Vegas because it means there is nothing you can do to break the restrictions. It also means some consideration has been put into the mode being there meaning you can be confident the game is balanced in a way that it is possible to beat it.

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#50  Edited By poisonjam7

Ah, I forgot about the no fast travel rule.

In some games it's a huge pain in the ass and really boring, but in most Elder Scrolls games (and Red Dead) some interesting stuff can happen as you make your way from point a to point b.