PC, for probably obvious reasons.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

In terms of a system during a time period I'll never forget (which is an angle I'm sure a lot of us will go on) would be the playstation 2. Up until I got a playstation 2 I had always had Nintendo consoles (nes, snes, n64, etc.) and my gaming boundaries never really went out beyond that. PS2 introduced me to jrpg's with Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts, action games like Devil May Cry, Ratchet and Clank, and some super weird (at least to me) stuff like Katamari Damacy. That system as a whole has so many games that will forever be ingrained my memories.

Bummlmitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

PC. Versatile, unmatched backwards compatibility and able to emulate almost any other system.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Gamecube. Easily.

- The console had a fantastic library that still hasn't gotten the credit it deserves.The risks Nintendo took with their brand recognition during the GCN era are countless. Such as: Launching with Luigi's Mansion AND ETERNAL DARKNESS: SANITY'S REQUIEM (both published by Nintendo), Cel-shading in Windwaker, Super Mario Sunshine's water pack mechanics, Mario Kart: Double Dash with 2 characters in each kart for extra strategy, Allowing Fox McCloud to star in 2 games where he walks on foot, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat - bongo-controlled 2-d platforming at its finest, Turning Metroid into a western-developed FPS, Handing F-Zero over to SEGA to develop, Publishing another FPS - Geist ,Trying to lock down very mature titles like RE4 or Killer7 as Gamecube exclusives, Actually locking down Resident Evil exclusives like the RE remake, and RE: Zero; etc.

It's a real shame that most of these decisions didn't seem to pan out well for them in the long run.

- The cube design was very stylish, especially in purple, and the thing was damn-near indestructible.
- Well-ventilated, big fan ports which run very quietly. It even has little notches on the side to prevent anything from getting too close; blocking circulation. Clever.
- 4 controller ports.
- My favorite controller comfort-wise.
- It has a handle!
- GB Player
- Component output
- I really appreciate the toy-like look (especially the Indigo model) which seems to bother some.
- DK Bongos.
- Pelican Retro-pad
- Love the tiny discs.
- Always have preferred the way the GCN handled most 6th gen multi-platform games compared to the PS2 or XBOX.
- Huge memory cards available cheap, especially now.

My only minor complaint is the controller cord length. But even that can be solved with either a Wavebird or extensions.

I'm also a huge proponent of the SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, PS2, PS3, Wii, GBA SP, 3DS XL, and PSP 3000 (with custom firmware, of course.)

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, either PS2 or SNES I guess. Honorable mention to DS/3DS.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

SNES. It was my first console ever so it holds a special place in my heart. PS2 comes really close though.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JasonR86

It would be a toss up between the Colecovision and Genesis/Sega-CD/32X because those are the consoles I have the fondest memories of.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By Daneian

Playstation 1. That was the system where I really started to branch out and discover gaming. When I was younger, i tended to stick with known quantities and mediocre licensed games. Mega Man Legends, Metal Gear Solid, Fear Effect, Crhono Cross, Final Fantasy 7-9, Persona 2: EP, Resident Evil, Parasite Eve and many more really solidified what a game could be for me.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

These days, PC because I get all the console games for cheaper and they run better than on the consoles they were made for.

A decade ago it was PS2 because it was awesome. Surprisingly, I played a shitload of Playstation One games on the PS2. The only games I really remember playing on the original Playstation was the Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk and Syphon Filter.

But the number one console was the SNES. Super Mario All-Stars. Radical Rex. Earthworm Jim, and the greatest of them all - Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By AlexW00d
Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also a huge proponent of the SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, PS2, PS3, Wii, GBA SP, 3DS XL, and PSP 3000 (with custom firmware, of course.)

Shhhhh. That was a great post and everything, but I wouldn't be so quick to make this known. I mean, people get all uppity about that sort of stuff and then it all falls apart. High-five, though!

I have a lot of love for my consoles, but nothing can compete with the experiences I had with my PS2. I received one on my 8th birthday and I've been rolling with it ever since. Granted, there was one time where I had to replace it because it was unable to read "blue disks," but once I got that figured out, it was all gravy. I remember having well over 100 PSX/PS2 games at one point, so that should say a lot about the quality of a console. The fact that it was really quiet and never got warm was a huge plus, too.

On a side note, fuck that Viewtiful Joe 2 demo that wiped the save data on my original ps2 memory card. That shit tore my heart out.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Sooty

PC, because it's for far more than just games, there's no worry about backwards compatibility and also Steam.

Console wise it would be the Dreamcast for Shenmue or the original Xbox for the superb multiplayer of Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six 3, before UbiSoft ruined both of those series. (also Microsoft need to release a new fucking Midtown Madness already)

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Ps2, it had so much variety of original games that I fell in love with....

Toadorolum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more I sit here thinking about this the more I am convinced that the PS3 is my favourite. Sure there are great games on the SNES and N64 (My normal answers to this question) but I have played a whole bunch of games on the PS3 that are absolutely outstanding.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PlayStation.

All my favorite game series to date originated there or had sequels started there. To name a few: Tekken, Metal Gear and Resident Evil. The controller was perfect, the system looked cool, it played music CD's and did away with passwords for games! MEMORY CARDS! I played it till the disk drive burned out and blew the spinner into little pieces of shrapnel!

And just a few months ago, I found a mint PS1 sitting on a shelf at a junk shop for $1. It now sits on a shelf in my game room, enshrined among my other video game memorabilia and collect able goodies.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Hard to choose between the PS1 and the SNES. Both had such a wide library of great games.

Otleaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Otleaz

When I was younger I had a PS1 with about 5 boxes(about 100 games each) of educational games because my mom was a teacher. I think I can thank the PS1 for me not growing up to be a blubbering moron. The American educational system certainly doesn't get any points.

Right now the PC is my favorite for obvious reasons, but the PS1 is a close second.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

PC

For consoles, PS1 > SNES > PS2 > PS3.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I've done most of my playing on the PC, and in the past there were a lot of systems I loved and used a ton like the NES, PlayStation and Xbox. But all that being said I do think that the Xbox 360 has probably been my favorite console to date.

The 360 was the first console to take a full stride into the realm of digital gaming. Titles like Bastion, Braid, Geometry Wars and Limbo could not have been released on systems like the PS2 and these games ended up being some of my favorite experiences of the past few years. In addition to groundbreaking downloadable titles we were introduced to a wealth of new and amazing franchises like Mass Effect, Bioshock and Gears of War as well as singular experiences like Red Dead Redemption and Alan Wake. All of these games on top of a great controller and the first fully fledged operating system on a console. I really do think that the Xbox 360 will be remembered as one of the great consoles of our time without taking anything away from the PS3 which on to itself has been a great system to own and use.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By TobbRobb

PC. Not even a contest.

For consoles it's definitely the Ps2, biggest library of exclusive that I like, large nostalgia factor, the best controller of all time and I've had a launch system since release that still works flawlessly. "Thanks a lot 360 >.<"

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Justin258

@flappy said:

@nintendork666 said:

Shhhhh. That was a great post and everything, but I wouldn't be so quick to make this known. I mean, people get all uppity about that sort of stuff and then it all falls apart. High-five, though!

I have a lot of love for my consoles, but nothing can compete with the experiences I had with my PS2. I received one on my 8th birthday and I've been rolling with it ever since. Granted, there was one time where I had to replace it because it was unable to read "blue disks," but once I got that figured out, it was all gravy. I remember having well over 100 PSX/PS2 games at one point, so that should say a lot about the quality of a console. The fact that it was really quiet and never got warm was a huge plus, too.

On a side note, fuck that Viewtiful Joe 2 demo that wiped the save data on my original ps2 memory card. That shit tore my heart out.

I've mentioned my PSP with custom firmware many times and no one has bugged me about it.

The PC is undoubtedly the best if you know how to maintain it, but the PS2 is pretty much the best console ever. There is not a person alive who enjoys video games who couldn't find anything to their tastes on that console, and it would take years and years for anyone to play every great game on the thing. I mean, there were some great games being released on it well into its successor's lifespan. Persona 4 came out in 2008 and it is perhaps one of the best games on the system.

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Iron_Tool

PC. Versatile, unmatched backwards compatibility and able to emulate almost any other system.

^this^

Whamola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sega Master System. It IS the master system after all. Plus the 3D glasses for it were pretty sick.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ravenlight
  • Sega Saturn because Policenauts and Symphony of the Night.
  • Neo Geo because Neo Turf Masters and Metal Slug.
  • PSP because WTF: Work Time Fun. The only game trollier is Takeshi no Chousenjou.
  • PS1 because all those Penultimate Fanta Sea games or whatever.
  • PS2 because MGS2 and goddammit, MGS2 is really weird.
  • PC because all of these crazy dating sims I keep finding myself playing. And I guess other games, too.
zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zenmastah

Im quite fond of my Personal Computer because it does everything better and faster than other systems.

Show me a console where i can downsample BioShock: Infinite at 4K and still play it 60FPS.

Options son, i like them.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

N64 because that is the system I have the most nostalgia for and loved the hell out of it. If I really compare my favorite consoles it is between 64, Xbox and PS3...might actually give it to the Xbox because of all the fond memories I have of it.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

I'm tempted to say SNES or Playstation, but I'm going to go against nostalgia and say Xbox 360. Simple fact of the matter is that because I was an adult with a job when this came out, I was able to play more games with this system than anyone before it. And while I may not hold up a lot of those games as all time greats, I was still able to get some amazing experiences with it (Batman: AA, CoD4, Bioshock). And hell, a lot of my fondness for SNES and PS were for JRPG's, and Lost Odyssey was one of the best I've played recently

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC. I like tinkering and messing with hardware. For reference, I have a processor running at 1GHz over its factory clock, not because I need the extra performance, but because I wanted to do it XD

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC, after that, Dreamcast cause I have almost every game for it and that library is crazyyyyyy

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's probably the 360, I've probably spent more time and had more fun on that system than on any system prior - it's mostly down to the fact that this is my favourite gen, and the 360 is my favourite system from this gen.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Saturn. It had the best versions of Capcom and Neo Geo games, the best controller for fighting games, excellent 2d graphics, and at times even some best of gen 3d. The amazing arcade ports and Japan exclusive releases had me hooked and I spent more time playing my Saturn then I did any other system including PC.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not gonna put rose tinted glass on for this one. The current generation of consoles are better than the last, and the last ones are better than the ones before. Gaming is always getting better; just because a console had a game you played when you were a kid (nostalgia) doesnt mean it was a better console.

So for me, it would be ps3. I've put many a hour into that console, and it brought me great joy.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im quite fond of my Personal Computer because it does everything better and faster than other systems.

Show me a console where i can downsample BioShock: Infinite at 4K and still play it 60FPS.

Options son, i like them.

Except it's almost impossible to run games at 4k

At least on high settings

Unless I'm missing something? Have you actually done it?

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By zenmastah

Yes, i downsampled from 4K to 1080 and played it at a steady 60 when i had a 1080 monitor awhile ago.

Looked fucking great, cant remember what settings i used in game but the image was so clear its hard to play a game at 1080/1200 anymore.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC, but I won't tell you why, it hurts my brain just attempting to list and explain the near perfection of this platform.

I need some aspirin.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Belegorm

PC; I started gaming on the PC, dabbled in consoles (I always did love the ps2), but definitely the PC. Pretty much you could think of the PC as all consoles wrapped up in one: you get nearly all new games these days on PC, and there's emulation for the classics.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

PC because PC

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

The GameCube was pretty spectacular. PS1 & SNES too.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Nekroskop

So many people like a broken as fuck console. For shame, guys.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PlayStation 2. It's the console I have the most games for and most memories of. Helped that I played the PS2 all my early to mid teens, back when I had unlimited time to do fuck all...

Miyuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 14

PS2... I'm still playing awesome games for the first time on my PS2, while I have to search for titles I'm interested in on my other consoles. I also did a lot of PC gaming in the 90s, but the PS2 was the first console I bought for myself.

Subbeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC, despite having no unified voice at E3 and the industry in general and constantly being overlooked by so many publishers we just fucking endure.

schreiberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of sheer nostalgia and almost nothing else, N64

In terms or my own weird shameful fanboyism, 360

In terms of logic and reason PC

But i feel like PC is kind of a cop out, i mean if you took a pc from the n64 days it would be shit. And if you upgraded it, it probably wouldnt have much, if anything, the same as that n64 era pc. I feel like pc answers should be like "pc from 2001-2004" or something like that

sku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if a PC counts, but if it does then that's my favorite, despite my rig being pretty substandard. I also liked the PS2 since it had MGS3, Katamari Damacy, and... uh, the Mega Man collection? I didn't have a hell of a lot for that one.

I own next to no Sega consoles but I love the hell out of them regardless. I just bought a model 1 Genesis, so hopefully this is the beginning of a horrible downward spiral of classic console collection, since what I REALLY need is financial ruin.