Posted by liquiddragon (3378 posts) 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Your Favorite System That Didn't Set the World on Fire? (234 votes)

Dreamcast 17%
Gamecube 21%
Master System 2%
N64 10%
Saturn 2%
Vita 20%
Wii U 10%
Xbox 14%
My Favorite's Something Else 4%

Hey, what's your favorite gaming console that didn't quite reach its potential, was a disappointment in some ways, or maybe even considered a failure?

Now, I know some of the choices might be controversy, I like many of the systems and some of them might've set your personal world on fire (I didn't want to put N64 up there, forgive me ppl of that era.) However, putting our own biases aside and looking at it more objectively, globally, these platforms just weren't in the positions they wanted to be in the marketplace.

Nevertheless, they all have good qualities that make them easy to champion today.

Personally, my favorite would have to be the Gamecube. First of all, the console itself is just a neat little box and we should emphasize all three of the words that's underlined. It's neat because it's has a f-ing handle and often comes in badass purple. It's little because well, it is little, especially compare to the OG Xbox (and this was a selling point.) Lastly, the thing is actually box shaped. It's an awesome cute design and regardless of whatever's under the hood, it seemed to run everything mighty nicely.

Speaking of things running on it, the library is nothing to mess with. You know the stuff on it and you also know about the adorable discs that those great games come on. Just to refresh your memory though, remember that Resident Evil 4 first came to the GCN. Remember that Metroid Prime is one of greatest games of all time. You should only play Killer7 on GC. Wind Waker, Melee, Thousand Year Door, Eternal Darkness, REmake, Viewtiful Joe, Pikmin, Tales of Symphonia, Animal Crossing and 3rd party support wasn't bad either. Unfortunately, it does have couple duds like Mario Sunshine and MGS Twin Snakes, 2 garbage tier games.

Anyway, what's your favorite "runner-up" console and what makes you like it so much?

#1 Edited by OurSin_360 (6177 posts) -

Dreamcast, i was legit bummed when they discontinued it.

#2 Edited by Justin258 (15650 posts) -

The Wii U deserved way, way better than it got. And the Vita, too, the Vita is so comfortable to hold.

#3 Posted by BoOzak (2586 posts) -

Dreamcast, I feel like it had a very weird selection of games (Chu Chu Rocket, Space Channel 5 and Seaman! To name a few) it also helped that it was the first 128 bit console I played and I didnt own a PC at the time so I was actually very impressed by the graphics. The console also had next to no piracy protection, which for a broke kid was quite the selling point.

#4 Posted by BrunoTheThird (833 posts) -

OG Xbox. Otogi, Buffy, JSRF, Halo, Crimson Skies, DoA3. I had so many great memories with these gems, short-lived as the console was. It really was a repeat of the Dreamcast in many ways.

It was no PS2, obviously, but niche titles can be so exciting when they're as good as those. Like your own secret clubhouse: giggly and secretive, but depressing in hindsight.

#5 Posted by Savage (782 posts) -

All of these failed systems have their great games, some more than others, but I have to go with the Wii U as the best of this bunch. For a failed system with a curtailed lifespan, it still piled up an impressive list of very high quality exclusives.

I particularly loved Tokyo Mirage Sessions and DKC Tropical Freeze.

Other exclusives I really enjoyed: Super Mario 3D World, Splatoon, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, New Super Luigi U, The Wonderful 101, and Yoshi's Woolly World.

A couple exclusives that I enjoyed moderately: New Super Mario Bros U and Paper Mario: Color Splash.

Some exclusives that aren't for me, but others seemed to really enjoy: Pikmin 3, Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros Wii U, and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

And finally, some great non-exclusives: Super Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta, Zombi U, Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, and Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

And that's all without even counting any download-only titles.

So I think the Wii U's hefty library of remarkably high-quality games secures its place as the winner among the losers.

#6 Posted by Efesell (4504 posts) -

The Vita is a wonderful device that deserved better.

#7 Posted by ShaggE (9269 posts) -

I was torn between Dreamcast and Saturn, but Dreamcast wins out. Just such a cool, before-its-time console.

Hottest of takes: I also kind of didn't hate the Virtual Boy. In fact, I thought it was pretty fun.

#8 Posted by DorkyMohr (263 posts) -

N64 is probably my favorite system that I also recognize as one of the worst systems out there. My nostalgia completely colors my perception of it.

#9 Posted by shiro2809 (270 posts) -

Definitely the Vita, easily the best handheld (not counting the Switch, maybe). Even now, the games it does have are great and worth the system.. WiiU is second, definitely needed more support, the gamepad could've been used in really cool ways.

#10 Posted by Efesell (4504 posts) -

I would have also considered Wii U but recently I picked it back up after playing a bunch of Switch games and the build quality of that gamepad hit me anew like a punch in the nose.

#11 Posted by Ezekiel (2257 posts) -

Uh... none? I don't like the idea of consoles. They're obsolete.

#12 Posted by Marino (7537 posts) -
Loading Video...

Staff
#13 Posted by redwing42 (525 posts) -

Looks like I might be holding down the only Saturn vote. It was a tough choice between Dreamcast and Saturn (and Sega CD wasn't an option), but I honestly gave the Saturn the benefit because I thought it would get very few votes. All three Panzer Dragoon games, Dragon Force, Fighters Megamix, Daytona, Virtua Cop 1 and 2, Shining Force 3 (part 1)... It had a truncated catalog, but it hit on a high percentage of those games.

#14 Posted by fisk0 (6889 posts) -

Yeah, Wii U and Vita probably have the top two slots. I think the N64 got the attention it deserved in its time. It seemed to be successful enough for the kinds of things that were made for it, and didn't feel like it got killed prematurely.

As we're talking consoles, I guess I'd say the Amiga CD32 on the number three slot. I have a bit of a soft spot for that machine, even though it had major flaws and didn't do anything better than a proper Amiga machine, and it wasn't so much killed too soon specifically, as the entire Commodore company went under killing the entire Amiga line of computers.

#16 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (3016 posts) -

N64 and Xbox were too big to be on that list. Maybe it depends on your age but N64 was “everywhere” for 7-13 year olds back then, cause it didn’t require a multi tap adapter and was cheaper. And Xbox sold pretty well for the first console from a new third place competitor. Point is they both met expectations where as even though GameCube sold not too much less than 64 and had more great games and graphics closer to the rivals it was still like a step back for them.

Anyways, GCN had too wonky of a controller and Resident Evil has been ported so much and the fact that Cube didnt really do online or hard drives or play DVDs made it feel so dated . Mario Sunshine stunnnnnk.

Dreamcast is my choice.

The N64 sold 32 million compared to the PS1's 100+ million. The Xbox sold 24 million compared to the PS2's 150+ million. They both were far outsold by their competition, and thus were seen as major commercial disappointments, if not outright failures. They belong in the poll.

#17 Posted by Captain_Insano (3512 posts) -

My friends and I all had N64s. I eventually got a PS1 as well but the N64 continued to be my favourite console (at that time). As far as we knew it was fantastic. A lot of great Nintendo first party games and some truly fantastic multiplayer experiences. 4 controller ports was a winner.

#18 Edited by FrodoBaggins (2060 posts) -

I came into this thread fully expecting to answer Dreamcast....... But hot damn if my answer isn't Xbox. That thing had some great games, one of my favorote of all time (Halo CE) and so many multiplayer online memories. Shout out to Dreamcast, Gamecube and WiiU though.

#19 Edited by cloudymusic (2128 posts) -

The Atari Lynx. It was super impressive hardware (a pretty powerful full-color handheld in 1989!) and had so much potential, it just didn't have the games or the price point to compete with the Game Boy. It did have a handful of cool games, but not enough.

Out of this list, though, I'd say the Saturn. It has so many cool games and a lot of truly excellent arcade ports, but most of its success was Japan-only (it was Sega's best-selling console in Japan, even). If you're into import games, it's definitely worth checking out the Saturn's library, but it certainly would have been a bit disappointing to be a Saturn owner in America at the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
#20 Edited by deactivated-5b85a38d6c493 (1990 posts) -

I really liked my Gamecube. I didn't have many games for it but it was a neat system. Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Tales of Symphonia, Twilight Princess. The controller felt nice, I liked the look of the console itself. I kind of regret selling it after some years because I wanted to buy some bullshit instead.

#21 Posted by chebbles (122 posts) -

Gamecube for me.

It was the first console me and my brother bought with money we had saved, and we would buy most if the Nintendo developed games. Also, my school friends also all had Gamecubes so it was important in not just gaming but also my closest friendships to this day. A lot of Wario Ware, 4 Swords, Double Dash.

It also had Tales of Symphonia, Metroid Prime, Paper Mario 2, Wind Waker, hell of a system. I think it is overall my favourite system, because of how personally impactful is was.

#22 Edited by hans_maulwurf (641 posts) -

For what it's worth, I've got some fond memories of the ngage. It's my second favorite Tony Hawks experience, and I'm still looking for a Turn-Based tactical game that's as good as pathway to glory. I also had some fun playing mp ngage games with the one other kid in school who had an ngage.

#23 Posted by mems1224 (2505 posts) -

OG Xbox. Incredibly underrated lineup and pretty much shaped my modern gaming tastes. It's the system that got me into RPGs and online multiplayer games.

#24 Edited by GordonDaniels (68 posts) -

To this day I am bummed about the early death of the Dreamcast. Some of my favorite gaming memories.

#25 Posted by nicksmi56 (840 posts) -

Definitely Gamecube for me. My childhood was filled with happy multiplayer days of Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Kart Double Dash, and Naruto: Clash of Ninja 2, to say nothing of the system being the one to introduce me to my insatiable love of platformers. And with games like Wind Waker and Jedi Outcast coming out of the woodwork, turns out it has a longer shelf life than I could've imagined.

Also the Gamecube controller is still my favorite controller of all time. So comfortable, and I can do things with that controller I could never ever replicate on another system.

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#26 Edited by SloppyDetective (1604 posts) -

OG Xbox. We got it when I was about 11; older brother got Halo and it was the most exciting thing I had ever played up to then.

#27 Posted by Quantris (1303 posts) -

I picked Wii U, not because it is necessarily the best one listed, but I think the one with the biggest gulf between the quality of games on it vs. how many people actually played them.

Probably a fairly personal take though, based on where & when I grew up; in my circles I'd say Gamecube and N64 were far from underappreciated. Same for Xbox.

I think Vita could give Wii U a run for its money in this regard, but I'm not a fan of much that is available on Vita so...

#28 Posted by TheWildCard (694 posts) -

Easily the Vita, which is in my top 3 favorite systems no joke. First gen OLED screens looked AMAZING and it's about the perfect in terms of size and screen real estate. Also that d-pad = GOAT. And say what you will about it's library, I've had more memorable experiences with the system than most that I've owned.

Logically the Dreamcast is probably 2nd, although I've always had a soft spot for the Saturn. It's not hard to understand why the Playstation blew it out of the water, but it's a shame it was handled so poorly, there was a lot of cool stuff on that system.

#29 Posted by billmcneal (1251 posts) -

I said Sega Saturn because it is the first console I bought with my own money.

#30 Posted by BabyChooChoo (7092 posts) -

I love a bunch of those systems for different reasons, but I ultimately went with Wii U. The concept of the system is still solid in my opinion, but not that many games really did much with it. Most games just used the gamepad to mirror what was happening on the TV, if they used it at all. There was a frighteningly large amount of games that just displayed the logo of what you were playing.

On the flipside though, you had games cramming in functionality for no good goddamn reason like Paper Mario Color Splash.

Wind Waker, Fatal Frame, Xenoblade, Deus Ex, ZombiiU, and a few other games made good use of it, but it never really got to shine imo. Much like the 3D in the 3DS, once it was clear Nintendo didn't know what to do with it and they started abandoning the concept, damn near every other developer followed suit.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
#31 Posted by killroycantkill (1602 posts) -

I got into it after the fact but the TurboGrafx-16 has a lot of amazing games on it. One controller port is kind of a bummer though since there are some fun multiplayer games. Parasol Stars, Bonk's Adventure and a handful of others are really great. It's just a shame that system is so expensive to buy for now.

#32 Posted by inevpatoria (7439 posts) -

I'm an original Xbox guy.

#33 Posted by Nodima (2613 posts) -

N64 I suppose. I loved my Gamecube at first but came to loathe its controller for any multi-platform games (I specifically remember thinking SSX Tricky was the best game of its year on PS2 and nearly unplayable on Gamecube) and that love for its exclusive library didn't last long; I remember thinking Super Mario Sunshine was beautiful at the time and I really enjoyed Eternal Darkness and loved Wind Waker, but after that my time with the Gamecube was essentially a long wait for Resident Evil 4 that became a sold console once the game was announced for PS2. Still haven't owned a Nintendo console since, though I'm compelled towards a Switch.

I have a lot of nostalgia for a lot of really bad games on the N64, but I'm also (like a lot of people in my generation) someone who had no idea the N64 was a flop in the wider context of gaming culture. Goldeneye and Mario Tennis were mandatory at every birthday party, and even among people I knew who stopped playing video games much in high school and college they would be sure to have an N64 around for Smash Brothers and Goldeneye, or at least an emulator installed on their laptop to run Super Mario 64. Ocarina of Time is also the first time in my life I was truly amazed by a game; during the SNES era I found the improvements to games over time generally acceptable and reasonable, but I had a pretty bad experience with Link to the Past as a kid and never had that love for Zelda that most people have so I was not looking forward to Ocarina of Time at all. Nintendo Power did their thing, however, and just a few months out from release convinced me the hype was worth it so I pre-ordered it, and from the gold cartridge to the content within I was absolutely entranced. I used to read its strategy guide (which was written in a weird, novella sort of style) to myself before bed like it was a damn book.

Never owned a Sega, Atari or Microsoft console.

#34 Posted by TheWildCard (694 posts) -

@nodima: N64 wasn't really a flop, but the PS1 was more popular by a good margin. Nostalgia around the N64 seems stronger for some reason nowadays for some reason. Maybe it's an age thing, even though I was in later grade school at the time and remember way more classmates had Playstations.

#35 Posted by liquiddragon (3378 posts) -

Surprised Vita is leading the poll, I thought Dreamcast would blow everything out of the water. I need me one of those, just couldn't justify getting one based on how little I used the PSP over the years. Wish I didn't sell my Xbox and JSRF and Otogi...one of the worst gaming decision of my life, never sold anything after that.

#36 Posted by stryker1121 (2171 posts) -

Gamecube seemed like a blip in the overall Nintendo console cycle, but think of the games on there: Resi4, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Pikmin 1 &2, Eternal Darkness, all top titles (even if I'm not huge WW fan, but still).

#37 Posted by Teddie (2145 posts) -

I love everything about the Vita except the fact I only enjoy about a handful of games for it, with my ultimate favourite being a remaster of a PS2 game. If that system took off, who knows what the library would look like today.