Your favorite types of driving/racing games?

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hello

Back in the day when I made my debut on Giant Bomb forums, where I made my thread for you guys to share on your favorite driving game IPs/franchises.
What are your favorite racing games? - General Discussion - Giant Bomb

Now this time I want to see you guys share your favorite types/sub-genres of driving/racing games.

My favorite types are:

1. Sim Racing (Consists of Assetto Corsa, rFactor, iRacing, Project Cars, and many others)
  2. Rally Simulator (Consists of WRC, DiRT Rally, and many others)
  3. Simcade (Consists of Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, Enthusia Professional Racing, and many others)
  4. Truck Driving Simulator (Consists of Euro Truck Simulator, American Truck Simulator, etc.)
  5. Car Mechanic Simulator (Consisting of Red Dot Games' Car Mechanic Simulator series)
  6. Street Racing (Consists of Project Gotham Racing, Forza Horizon, Test Drive Unlimited, Need For Speed, Burnout, and many others)
  7. Traditional Arcade Racers (Consists of Racing Jam, Ridge Racer, Daytona USA, and many others)
  8. Off-Road Arcade Racers (Consists of Forza Horizon, MotorStorm, DiRT 5, Sega Rally, and many others)
  9. Futuristic Racers (Consists of Motorhead, Distance, San Francisco Rush 2049, F-Zero, and many others)
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#2  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Unless it's a sim-cade-ish thing with non-sports cars like 70s/80s station wagons (like the appearances of the Volvo 240 in Need For Speed 2015 or the older Test Drive games), I mostly prefer futuristic racers like Motorhead and Carmageddon, or the more abstract/creative madness of something like Trackmania, Stunts and Ridge Racer Unbounded.

Never really been into speedy sports car stuff, but I really enjoy the car deformation in Carmageddon, Destruction Derby and Wreckfest.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You forgot kart racers.

Anyway. The closer a racing game is to Need for Speed Underground 2, 2015 and Heat in terms of customization and career progression, the more likely that I'll put a lot of hours into it. I have over 80 hours logged with NFS 2015 and Heat, and Underground 2 looks fucking fantastic with just ReShade and in 21:9, so it's safe to say that those are my favorites these days.

My second pick are the futuristic/anti-gravity racing games, mainly the SNES and GameCube F-Zeros, WipEout 2048 (Vita version), Redout, and Pacer.

And my strong third are the kart racers. Diddy Kong Racing was the first N64 game that I ever played. Mario Kart 8 is one of the two games that I'm willing to play with people online. Crash Team Racing (both the original and remaster) is pretty dope. Jak X: Combat Racing. And building tracks in ModNation Racers is pretty fun, which reminds of the days where I'd binge playing Lego Stunt Rally for PC on my old XP era Sony Vaio desktop.

And I don't know where this fits but, Hot Wheels Velocity X.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This doesn’t really fit into any of the categories, but I like my driving games to be as simplistic and arcadey as they come and set in open worlds based on real places. Some of my favorites are Forza Horizon, The Crew, and American/Euro Truck Simulator. Basically, I like my driving games to be a means to an end to virtually sightsee. The exception, the one driving game I loved for its actual racing as opposed to its world, is Burnout Paradise, which has probably the best sense of speed I’ve ever experienced in a video game.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gtxforza
@facelessvixen said:

You forgot kart racers.

Anyway. The closer a racing game is to Need for Speed Underground 2, 2015 and Heat in terms of customization and career progression, the more likely that I'll put a lot of hours into it. I have over 80 hours logged with NFS 2015 and Heat, and Underground 2 looks fucking fantastic with just ReShade and in 21:9, so it's safe to say that those are my favorites these days.

My second pick are the futuristic/anti-gravity racing games, mainly the SNES and GameCube F-Zeros, WipEout 2048 (Vita version), Redout, and Pacer.

And my strong third are the kart racers. Diddy Kong Racing was the first N64 game that I ever played. Mario Kart 8 is one of the two games that I'm willing to play with people online. Crash Team Racing (both the original and remaster) is pretty dope. Jak X: Combat Racing. And building tracks in ModNation Racers is pretty fun, which reminds of the days where I'd binge playing Lego Stunt Rally for PC on my old XP era Sony Vaio desktop.

And I don't know where this fits but, Hot Wheels Velocity X.

Well, kart racers are not my cup of tea so I personally won't list it on my favorites, sorry about that.

I used to play Hot Wheels Velocity X a long time ago and I liked it, so I believe it would be part of the mission-based driving game category because I remembered the main story mode called "Adventure", where the protagonist is tasked to chase & hunt villains, retrieve & deliver items from places to places, and also race head to head against villains to claim their cars.

For Need For Speed 2022, I hope Criterion Games will do well and better not end up like Ghost Games' Need For Speed Payback.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Used to be all arcade all the time for me. Stuff like F-Zero, Wipeout, Uniracers. Need for Speed was about as "Sim" as I cared to go. I still like those kinds of games, but my preference has shifted in favor of sim-cade. This started with MotoGP 10/11, which I got cheap on a whim and really enjoyed. That lead me to stuff like Dirt, Grid, and Forza. After playing Forza Horizon 3 Hot Wheels, I realized that my ideal game is sim-cade handling with arcade track design. I do not care for real world race tracks.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Used to be all arcade all the time for me. Stuff like F-Zero, Wipeout, Uniracers. Need for Speed was about as "Sim" as I cared to go. I still like those kinds of games, but my preference has shifted in favor of sim-cade. This started with MotoGP 10/11, which I got cheap on a whim and really enjoyed. That lead me to stuff like Dirt, Grid, and Forza. After playing Forza Horizon 3 Hot Wheels, I realized that my ideal game is sim-cade handling with arcade track design. I do not care for real world race tracks.

Ok, I do understand that everyone has different tastes in general.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

Unless it's a sim-cade-ish thing with non-sports cars like 70s/80s station wagons (like the appearances of the Volvo 240 in Need For Speed 2015 or the older Test Drive games), I mostly prefer futuristic racers like Motorhead and Carmageddon, or the more abstract/creative madness of something like Trackmania, Stunts and Ridge Racer Unbounded.

Never really been into speedy sports car stuff, but I really enjoy the car deformation in Carmageddon, Destruction Derby and Wreckfest.

The reason why most modern demolition derby games always have the best visual damage detailing for cars? because the aim of the game is to combat (By ramming onto others), mean while proper sim racing and simcades always have inferior visual damage detailing because they're not vehicular combat games.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I like a well made racing game from any of the genres really, if it works well I'll likely get very engaged with it. If I had to pick a favourite it would be somewhere between Traditional Arcade Racers and Futuristic Racers, but everything else is very close behind. I just like to drive stuff - I played Grand Theft Auto 4 like it was a NY Taxi sim.

hugador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much road racing really. Motorcycle games over cars is what I prefer these days. I never cared for online racing to me it is all about getting to drive all these cool vehicles we grew up loving or know about. Push hard drive fast around famous real circuits around the world. I took a long break from car racing games but recently I played PC2 and GT Sport. From the two I really like the tire to pavement to steering wheel feedback you get from PC2 over the simcade physics and GTS with its fake vision cars on fake tracks turns me off a little.

I bought MudRunner a while ago but I don't have the patience for it. My heart beats like techno. I got to to move fast lol

Racing games are my secondary game I jump to when I get burnout from the primary game.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hugador said:

Pretty much road racing really. Motorcycle games over cars is what I prefer these days. I never cared for online racing to me it is all about getting to drive all these cool vehicles we grew up loving or know about. Push hard drive fast around famous real circuits around the world. I took a long break from car racing games but recently I played PC2 and GT Sport. From the two I really like the tire to pavement to steering wheel feedback you get from PC2 over the simcade physics and GTS with its fake vision cars on fake tracks turns me off a little.

I bought MudRunner a while ago but I don't have the patience for it. My heart beats like techno. I got to to move fast lol

Racing games are my secondary game I jump to when I get burnout from the primary game.

Well, simcade racers are designed for those who are new to the sim racing genre or those who wanted to take a break from playing higher-level sim racers including Assetto Corsa, so it makes it much more forgiving.

My guess why the Gran Turismo series wanted to have their original tracks and concept cars (Vision Gran Turismo) by commissioning real car manufactures to design for them because to make it unique.

Juliaalaxandar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forza Horizon Series: This game is known for its open-world racing gameplay, realistic graphics, and diverse car collection. The latest game in the series is Forza Horizon 5.

Need for Speed: This franchise has been around for over 20 years, and it remains one of the most popular racing games worldwide. The latest game in the series is Need for Speed Heat.

Gran Turismo: This series has been around since the 1990s and is known for its realistic car handling and physics. The latest game in the series is Gran Turismo 7.

Project Cars: This game is a popular choice among racing enthusiasts because of its realistic simulation of car physics, track conditions, and weather effects. The latest game in the series is Project Cars 3.

Dirt Series: This franchise is popular among rally racing fans, and it is known for its realistic portrayal of off-road racing. The latest game in the series is Dirt 5.

F1 Series: This game is based on the Formula One racing series and is known for its realistic simulation of F1 cars, tracks, and racing conditions. The latest game in the series is F1 2021.

These are just a few of the popular driving/racing games that gamers worldwide enjoy. There are many other great games out there, and each offers a unique gaming experience.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juliaalaxandar: That's really awesome and welcome to the Giant Bomb forums!

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blindgamerz: You may also like to play Cruis'n Blast for the arcades and Nintendo Switch because it shares a similar gameplay with Asphalt 9: Legends.