• 135 results
Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Deathshroud

Now I am feeling a sense of regret lol. I Wish I never sold my copy of Suikoden 2 .. i made a lot of money though lol

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By Bleshoo

I want to say either Dragon Warrior or Phantasy Star 4.

joseffthered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103  Edited By joseffthered

@Deathshroud: I tell you what's worse than selling it. I found my copy one day looking through some boxes. I was so excited. I put it in my drawer, thinking that would replay it someday. Then I lost it. Have no fucking clue where it went. I don't remember moving it. I think someone stole it.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#104  Edited By huntad

Earthbound

sdmitch16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By sdmitch16

My only JRPG was FF X-2. I thought I hated turn based games before that. Now that I've gone a while without playing one and have played facebook games, I don't think I'd like one anymore.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#106  Edited By viking_funeral
STUVNING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#107  Edited By STUVNING

Final Fantasy VII or Suikoden, not entirely sure what I played first.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

First: Final Fantasy VI (Known at the time in the US as FF III)

And yeah, it just might be my favorite, perhaps tied with Chrono Trigger and a three player co-op playthrough of Secret of Mana. It's too close to call. Feels like I haven't played a good JRPG in ages, though. :(

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By jayjonesjunior

phantasy star for the master system

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#110  Edited By myniceicelife

I don't know the name of the game, but it was on either on the genesis or nes and the only thing I can remember about it was that the combat screen was vertical (player on left, bad guys on the right). It was a very long time ago and i've been trying to figure out the title for some time now.

Avatar image for deactivated-643fcf03a370c
deactivated-643fcf03a370c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pokémon Gold Version! I played that game so much when I was 7, one of the few games I've put 200+ hours into (one of the other two being Pokémon HeartGold).

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By M_Shini

Final fantasy 8 or 9 was my exposure to it, i remember bugging my friend to play co-op ff9 constantly.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Vexxan

Pokémon Yellow.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#114  Edited By DeF

@Turambar said:

Hmm...probably Secret of Mana.

Same here. Back in the days when every game was still "just another game to play" and not so much "a JRPG".

I took a long break after the SNES-era was over and only picked it up again with Tales of Symphonia in 2005/6 (can't remember when I bought it). Well no, i guess I should probably count Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Sword of Mana in 2004 but that's still very close together and about 6-7 years since I last played a Japanese RPG.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#115  Edited By Hunter5024

The first final fantasy. I played the hell out of that game but couldn't bring myself to actually beat it until about a year ago. Definitely not my favorite, in fact I'm pretty sure I don't even like that game. The first one I ever beat was Final Fantasy 5 I think, which would probably be around the middle somewhere if I had an ordered list of JRPG's I enjoyed. Although there may be something to your theory of degenerating JRPG enjoyment. Everytime I pop a new one in, even if it's supposedly amazing, I just kind of groan and give up about 3 hours later.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Levius

FFVII after being told by the guy at the store that it was like Zelda, I didn't know what the fuck was going on. The first JRPG I finished was Persona 2: Innocent Sin this year, after half finishing a shitload of other JRPGs.

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Either Skies of Arcadia or Final Fantasy X. I know I didn't finish either of them.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#118  Edited By MudMan

Heh. As I said, elsewhere, I bet none of us read any other responses (or cared about them).

It's a trickier question than it seems, though. What's a JPRG? I played Zelda 2 a bunch, and that Willow NES game. I also remember that Robin Hood RPG on the Game Boy. When I was a kid JRPGs weren't even called that, so the dividing line there is a bit fuzzy for me.

Pikawai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Pikawai

My first was Pokemon yellow... yes, Pokemon is an rpg.

seagaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By seagaia

@InfiniteSpark said:

Super Mario RPG

I'm pretty sure this was mine too. I can't even remember how I came across it. If not this, then pokemon Red (or blue?).

Super Mario RPG stands the test of time, I think. It felt fast paced enough and was kind of a neat world to explore.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#121  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Final Fantasy VII. I don't have much nostalgia for it, but it's still among my favorite JRPGs.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By gamefreak9

Final Fantasy 8. My second was 7, my third was 9 and my 4th was 6. I prefer 9 then 8 then 6 then 7. Though all of these are better than ALL other FFs, which I have also completed. So I was kind of unlucky that the first 4 I played were the best ones... all downhill from there.

ShrimpDino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#123  Edited By ShrimpDino

Breath Of Fire 1 on Game Boy Advance

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b
deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

My first JRPG was Final Fantasy VI, known to me then only as Final Fantasy III. I remember seeing the box on the shelf at a rental store and thought that the metallic font seemed really appealing. I rented it and was immediately blown away by the soundtrack and the mature story/characters. I think the following year was a struggle and panic to ensure that I kept renting it whenever I could, hoping that my save was still on there. I even had a friend in my school who provided me audio cassettes of the game's soundtrack (somewhat poorly edited, too) that I listened to ALOT.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#125  Edited By Ace829

If we're counting the Pokemon games then it's Yellow, and it's also one of my favorites. If not, then my first would actually be Grandia 2 for the Dreamcast. I didn't play the Final Fantasy games until X came out although right after X I did play VII, VI, and IV and loved them all.

RandyTandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By RandyTandy

I started with Final Fantasy X and I really didn't get on with it. The story and characters didn't grab me at all and the Bliztball stuff just pushed me away further. I dabbled with Dragon Quest VIII and thoroughly enjoyed Nier but I loved FF XIII which hooked me with the very pretty visuals at first and then the combat and then I actually started caring for the story. I eventually completed it at 50 hours and was eagerly anticipating FFXIII-2 but found it to be a huge let down where it largely removed the precursor's driving story. Now I'm playing through FFVIII and although the combat seems rather limited, I'm finding it all very charming. So JRPGs for me are a bit of rollercoaster, where my arms and legs are kept in at all times. I don't know what that last sentence means.

Soap_of_Death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Soap_of_Death

Final Fantasy 8. It was recommended to me by a friend and I really enjoyed it, I've been a fan of JRPG's since. FF8 has lost its appeal to me after several playthroughs but it'll always make me feel nostalgic.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By soldierg654342
CyborgDuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By CyborgDuo

One of the (perhaps made up) problems with being a young gamer is that there isn't a great way to play the old JRPGs that you weren't around to experience. So far, I have only enjoyed Chrono Trigger and Dark Souls.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By monetarydread

Ultima Underworld was my first RPG; but to answer your question, my first JRPG was Earthbound.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By QuistisTrepe

Dragon Warrior for NES. I thought it was neat, until I saw what the Sega MasterSystem was packing in the form of Phantasy Star. Suddenly my game felt so inferior by comparison.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#132  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Does Pokemon count? If so it was Pokemon Red. Otherwise I think it was FF6.

shermanatorek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#133  Edited By shermanatorek

I think it was Paper Mario.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#134  Edited By Red

I watched my brother play Final Fantasy VII a lot, but my first JRPG was Pokemon Silver.

mot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By mot

Pokemon Red if that counts, otherwise it would be Final Fantasy IX.