• 66 results
#1 Posted by BeachThunder (14581 posts) -

What highly-regarded/classic/important/etc... games haven't you played within your favourite genre(s)?

For example: I love adventure games, but I still haven't gotten around to The Longest Journey.

#2 Posted by Turambar (7996 posts) -

Never played any of the Dragon Quest games unfortunately. The art style is very much a turn off.

#3 Posted by RE_Player1 (8010 posts) -

I love kart racers but never played Crash Team Racing which I hear is great.

#4 Posted by joshthebear (2704 posts) -
#5 Posted by Bishna (339 posts) -

I guess my favorite genre would be RPGs, of all kinds. To pick one from either side of the Pacific, I haven't played more than an hour of ether Xenogears or Baldur's Gate.

#6 Posted by SgtSphynx (2420 posts) -

I've never played the Tales Of games or Xenogears for RPGS, and I've never played Grim Fandango (not that i don't want to, I just can't) for adventure games

#7 Edited by ExplodeMode (851 posts) -

Earthbound is my shame.

I know I would like the Mother games. I like everything about them, except the part where I have to emulate them. Doesn't feel right. I don't mean morally or ethically -- I just mean it feels weird playing them that way.

#8 Posted by Daroki (772 posts) -

Final Fantasy 4 through 6. And I even have 5 sitting on my PS3 and could shuttle it onto my PSP if I wanted to.

Avatar image for godlyawesomeguy
#9 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6421 posts) -

Far Cry 3.

#10 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5919 posts) -

I love JRPGs but I have never played Final Fantasy VII.

#11 Posted by nintendork666 (209 posts) -

Xenogears

#12 Posted by audioBusting (2520 posts) -

I like RPG and I did buy them but I still haven't played Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2. They seem a bit daunting.

#13 Posted by ShaggE (8398 posts) -
#14 Posted by Nottle (1933 posts) -

FF5, and 8. Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade, the Fire Emblem Series. Chrono Cross.

Grim Fandango.

#15 Posted by Hizang (9358 posts) -

Donkey Kong 64, I love Super Mario 64, banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, Conkers Bad Fur Day but I just never played much of Donkey Kong 64.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
#16 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6651 posts) -

@Turambar said:

Never played any of the Dragon Quest games unfortunately. The art style is very much a turn off.

I will gut you.

#17 Edited by LackingSaint (2170 posts) -

Not so much blind-spots in my "genre of choice", since I don't think I really have one, but I adored Silent Hill 2 and XCom: Enemy Unknown and have yet to play pretty much anything else in those genres.

#18 Posted by Justin258 (14374 posts) -

Quake 1 and... uh...

Well, I can't think of any significant first person shooters that I haven't touched. All the Far Cry games, all the Crysis games, the Halo's, System Shock 2, Doom 1 and 2, Half-Life, Duke Nukem 3D, Marathon, I've played all of those in some capacity...

I have not played Wolfenstein 3D, so that I guess.

Avatar image for video_game_king
#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

I have yet to finish the original Warsong. I'd get right on that, but...

Uhhhhh.......
Uhhhhh.......
#20 Edited by mylifeforAiur (3506 posts) -
#21 Posted by Bollard (7560 posts) -

@msavo said:

It's the best cart game that isn't Mario Kart. Oh my you need to play it.

#22 Edited by Sooty (8193 posts) -

Haven't played Final Fantasy 10 because 7, 8 and 9 did nothing for me. I can think of nothing more deserving for the word overrated.

#23 Posted by Wakka (96 posts) -

I'm a little surprised to have seen Xenogears mentioned multiple times already; I've yet to play it, too.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
#24 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2748 posts) -

I need to play Final Fantasy IV and finish VI.

#25 Posted by JoeyRavn (5219 posts) -

There are way too many games for me to list. I love RPGs, but I've never played Baldur's Gate, for example. And that's weird, because I bought the Enhanced Edition and have it installed and ready to go.

#26 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4748 posts) -

I got into JRPGs a little late. So there are many classic of the genre I have yet to play.

#27 Posted by Nux (2759 posts) -

I love JRPGs but I have never played Chrono Trigger.

#28 Edited by cloudymusic (1881 posts) -

I wouldn't call myself a big FPS fan anymore, but even when I was, I never got more than a few hours into Half-Life 2. And now, I have zero motivation to go back and revisit it.

Other ones for me include the Baldur's Gate games, Xenogears, and Chrono Cross.

#29 Posted by C2C (899 posts) -

Being a fighting game fan, the newest Mortal Kombat is my biggest blind spot right now.

#30 Posted by NinjaBerd (230 posts) -
No Caption Provided

@msavo said:

#31 Posted by gogosox82 (452 posts) -

I haven't played any of the tales games or dragon quest.

#32 Posted by OldGuy (1669 posts) -

Fighting games (SF, MK, etc.) I stink at them... so I don't play 'em. :-)

#33 Posted by DarthOrange (4178 posts) -

I enjoy games of all genres but for some reason have yet to play any Zelda game. 

#34 Posted by PenguinDust (12994 posts) -

Witcher 2. I just haven't gotten around to upgrading my PC yet. There's always another bill to pay which pushes the luxury off another month. I bought the game on Steam Sale for a few bucks, so I have it but I need a better PC to play it. I can wait.

#35 Posted by cmblasko (2386 posts) -

I've been on an RPG kick lately, so: Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate series, Arcanum, Neverwinter Nights, Xenogears, Dragon Quest 3, ANY of the Shin Megami Tensei series, just to name a few.

#36 Posted by paulwade1984 (493 posts) -

Witcher 2. Its that god damn download of the enhanced edition. I have shitty slow internet. I need to get on it asap.

#37 Posted by Yummylee (24646 posts) -
#38 Posted by Yummylee (24646 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@msavo said:

That and Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed. I hadn't played a Kart Racer in a long while, so it's tough for me to efficiently detail where it fits in comparison to its forbearers, but damn is it a fine Kart Racer all the same.

#39 Posted by MiniPato (2821 posts) -

@Nux said:

I love JRPGs but I have never played Chrono Trigger.

Same here. What's mostly stopping me from playing it is all the praise people give it. People are constantly calling it one of the best games in any genre ever! So now my expectations are so damn high that I know it will not live up to whatever imagined expectations other people's nostalgia has built it up to be. I played FF6 because people keep saying it's the last great Final Fantasy game or some hyperbolic bullshit and when I played it, I thought it was okay.

#40 Posted by Tennmuerti (9082 posts) -

Kind of embarrassing, but as a humongous RPG fan i have never actually played Baldur's Gate 1.

My rpg experiences started with BG2, Fallout2 and Planescape, so while i went back and played Fallout1 after 2, i never actually got around to playing the actual first Baldur's Gate, even tho i've payed through BG2 and it's expansion like 3 times.

#41 Edited by crusader8463 (14757 posts) -

Turn based strategy is my favourite genre. I guess Fire Emblem would be the one, but I don't feel bad about missing it or anything. I just never had the systems when they came out and the medieval setting doesn't really do much for me. I'm hoping they do a nice big system one and get away from handhelds. I hate playing games on those tiny screens and my hands always feel cramped after holding one fore awhile.

#42 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (2696 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I have yet to finish the original Warsong. I'd get right on that, but...

Uhhhhh.......
Uhhhhh.......

Does anyone else find it kinda funny that it says "for ages 7+", yet the game is rated T?

Avatar image for video_game_king
#43 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

@ll_Exile_ll:

It says 3D mode is for ages 7+.

#44 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (2696 posts) -

@Video_Game_King:

My bad, I need new glasses.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
#45 Edited by ClairvoyantVibrations (1572 posts) -

Would one call Jagged Alliance 2 a RTS? I love RTS games but I've never played it.

#46 Posted by kalibr (123 posts) -

Never played a Forza game.

Also used to be a big space sim fan but I never got around to Freespace 1 or 2

#47 Posted by Raven10 (2186 posts) -

I dunno what my favorite genre is but there are quite a few games I haven't played. I really like 2D platformers for example but I've never played the Donkey Kong Country games. It's mostly old stuff I guess. I'm pretty good at playing most modern games in genres I enjoy.

#48 Posted by BeachThunder (14581 posts) -

@Skyfire543: Turn-based tactics.

#49 Posted by RE_Player1 (8010 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@msavo said:

That and Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed. I hadn't played a Kart Racer in a long while, so it's tough for me to efficiently detail where it fits in comparison to its forbearers, but damn is it a fine Kart Racer all the same.

I played the original and it is up there with my favorites. Have heard nothing but good things about Transformed so will probably pick up either the PS3 or PC version.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
#50 Posted by ClairvoyantVibrations (1572 posts) -

@BeachThunder: Well I really like Turn Based Tactical games as well.

So I guess it still counts.