Your Halo Killer Definition

DE235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By DE235

While I don't here this term a lot I was wondering what is your definition of a Halo killer. If there is a game that has already come out that you consider to be your Halo Killer then state why. My definition is based on what I think defines a Halo experience.

My Definition: The game has to do what Halo does better. It has to inter great vehicles seamlessly into infantry combat, also the vehicles have to be easy to control. It has to have epic moments in the campaign like in Halo 3 when you fight the two scarabs and give you different options on how to tackle any combat situation you may face. It would have to have features like saved films and forge to be used by its community and a website with frequent updates by its developers.

While I don't here this term a lot I was wondering what is your definition of a Halo killer. If there is a game that has already come out that you consider to be your Halo Killer then state why. My definition is based on what I think defines a Halo experience. My Definition: The game has to do what Halo does better. It has to inter great vehicles seamlessly into infantry combat, also the vehicles have to be easy to control. It has to have epic moments in the campaign like in Halo 3 when you fight the two scarabs and give you different options on how to tackle any combat situation you may face. It would have to have features like saved films and forge to be used by its community and a website with frequent updates by its developers.

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Tuggah

a game that makes people move on form Halo.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@Tuggah:
Pretty much sums it up
FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By FreakAche

"Halo killer" is a marketing buzzword that was popular last console generation. It doesn't mean anything.

Goldenroad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Goldenroad

yeah atm its meaningless cos halo is no longer the biggest fps online game, its moved onto cod now, tho reach might change tht, 'halo revival' <-- might be slightly inappropriate as i know alot of ppl still play halo odst and even 3, just its nowhere near as popular anymore
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ArchScabby

Call of Duty 4 was the Halo killer which is why the word isn't used anymore.  Halo was the biggest game franchise, Call of Duty 4 made Call of Duty the biggest game franchise, so Halo Killer is no longer a valid term.  Halo is still a really big franchise, it's just not the biggest anymore.  If anything the term now would be COD killer.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@Goldenroad said:

" yeah atm its meaningless cos halo is no longer the biggest fps online game, its moved onto cod now, tho reach might change tht, 'halo revival' <-- might be slightly inappropriate as i know alot of ppl still play halo odst and even 3, just its nowhere near as popular anymore "

The 3 million+ players currently logged into Halo 3, as of this post, say hi.
Call of Duty may have surpassed it (at least in terms of sales), but Halo is just as popular as it ever was.
Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Eidderf
@ArchScabby 

Well COD seems to be doing a good job of killing itself at the moment.
Goldenroad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Goldenroad
@WinterSnowblind:
yeah i know alot of ppl still play it, im not completely oblivious to tht hence the addition to my comment, but it just doesnt match up to the popularity of cod nymore, it used to be the biggest thing and now it just isnt, and im sorry but its not as popular as it ever was thts a completely stupid thing to say, halo 3 is far from its prime!! youre either high or a complete idiot if you cant recognise tht (sorry but when ppl say dumb stuff like tht just to fight their point it annoys me) of course more ppl are playing cod, for example (ik this is small scale before you say its irrelevant) ALL my friends used to play halo, now ALL of them play cod instead, cos it surpassed halo, and like none of them have played halo since, very few people have actually stuck with it.  

halo reach might change tht and the reason more ppl have been logging into odst is to play the beta.  (sorry about the rambley-ness of all tht)
JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JiuJitsuka85
- 4 player splitscreen
- Allow GUEST's for Xbox Live play

I think halo is the succes it is, because it allows 3 friends to log into guest accounts and play online.
carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By carlthenimrod

A Halo Killer is a serial murderer who leaves a copy of ODST with the body of his/her victims. He/She only strikes on Double Exp weekend, so remember to stay inside.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@Goldenroad said:
" @WinterSnowblind: yeah i know alot of ppl still play it, im not completely oblivious to tht hence the addition to my comment, but it just doesnt match up to the popularity of cod nymore, it used to be the biggest thing and now it just isnt, and im sorry but its not as popular as it ever was thts a completely stupid thing to say, halo 3 is far from its prime!! youre either high or a complete idiot if you cant recognise tht (sorry but when ppl say dumb stuff like tht just to fight their point it annoys me) of course more ppl are playing cod, for example (ik this is small scale before you say its irrelevant) ALL my friends used to play halo, now ALL of them play cod instead, cos it surpassed halo, and like none of them have played halo since, very few people have actually stuck with it.   halo reach might change tht and the reason more ppl have been logging into odst is to play the beta.  (sorry about the rambley-ness of all tht) "
I wasn't simply making up figures.  Halo 3 currently has 3 million people playing.
Not ODST to boot up the beta, not the Reach beta itself, Halo 3 matchmaking.

Again, I'm not denying that COD took away a good amount of it's player based, but claiming that "very few people stuck with Halo" is frankly, stupid.
The stats are their to see for yourself.  Halo 3 is still, by far, one of the most popular online games currently being played.  

I'd also garuantee that Reach will retake the top spot from COD, if the beta hasn't already.
(Which it almost certainly has, we just won't know until the end of the month)
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Rhaknar

modern warfare 2 was the halo killer. now we need a MW2 killer. It's all about sales and popularity

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho

Halo killer. Derivative of Halo but marginally better. Halo killer. "____ killer" is a talking point of frothing at the mouth idiots anyway, idiotic terms don't require defining parameters.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Karmum

A game that I enjoy more than Halo, which isn't that hard to do.

Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Blueman
@ArchScabby said:
"Call of Duty 4 was the Halo killer which is why the word isn't used anymore.  Halo was the biggest game franchise, Call of Duty 4 made Call of Duty the biggest game franchise, so Halo Killer is no longer a valid term.  Halo is still a really big franchise, it's just not the biggest anymore.  If anything the term now would be COD killer. "
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kishan6
@Tuggah said:
" a game that makes people move on form Halo. "
exactly and this happened with cod4 sooooooooooooooo 
this topic is now changed to 
YOUR CALL OF DUTY KILLER
mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By mattbodega

Halo Killer definitely fells like antiquated terminology, since it's technically been usurped in sales by Call of Duty. but even still, "Game X" Killer is marketing terminology, and not an effective way to judge the merits of a game. 

RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RedneckedCrake
@FreakAche said:
" "Halo killer" is a marketing buzzword that was popular last console generation. It doesn't mean anything. "
I second this.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@ArchScabby said:
" Call of Duty 4 was the Halo killer which is why the word isn't used anymore.  Halo was the biggest game franchise, Call of Duty 4 made Call of Duty the biggest game franchise, so Halo Killer is no longer a valid term.  Halo is still a really big franchise, it's just not the biggest anymore.  If anything the term now would be COD killer. "
Yep, exactly.
CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By CoolDrMoney
@FreakAche said:
" "Halo killer" is a marketing buzzword that was popular last console generation. It doesn't mean anything. "
Yeah, it's a hype term relic from to early-mid 00s. 

I remember when EGM reviewed Halo 2 they said that "the Halo killer has finally arrived", I thought that was clever, and timely being in the same issue as a coolly received Killzone.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By crunchUK

i was under the impression it meant killzone?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#23  Edited By EpicSteve

The term "Halo Killer" doesn't really exist anymore since the Call of Duty franchise has succeeded it in terms of popularity.

Goldenroad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Goldenroad

@WinterSnowblind:
well i know its not stupid cos i know evryone i know has stopped playing halo to play other games, infact evryone i have ever tlked to about it have agreed with me, im not hating on halo im just saying that people are realising there are other games out there. obv alot of ppl play halo im not denying that, im just saying that there are nowhere near as many playing it as there were when it first came out. halo also sucked alot of fans in with 1 and 2 so there are alot of fanboys out there, which im gunna guess makes up a whole chunk of the support. by the sounds of it youre abit of a fanboy and so ofcourse you arent gunna let your pride slip and admit halo isnt as big atm as it once was (halo reach might be changing that however) i dont know where you got these figures from but considering the ganme sold about 10 million copies maybe abit less/ abit more, i highlyyy doubt 3 million of those are still playing it. i would like to be proven wrong tho so send a link please :) x

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrSnow

Halo is for kids who voices havent broke

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By JJOR64

Wow, I haven't heard the phrase "Halo Killer" in ages.  Do people still use that phrase?

gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By gabha
@carlthenimrod said:
" A Halo Killer is a serial murderer who leaves a copy of ODST with the body of his/her victims. He/She only strikes on Double Exp weekend, so remember to stay inside. "
I'm quoting this post to give it it's due attention.
fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fishinwithguns
@carlthenimrod said:
" A Halo Killer is a serial murderer who leaves a copy of ODST with the body of his/her victims. He/She only strikes on Double Exp weekend, so remember to stay inside. "
This man is right
Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing can do halo better than halo, numerous multi player FPS's are better than halo (TF2) but they wont "kill" it. 

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Karmum said:
" A game that I enjoy more than Halo, which isn't that hard to do. "
Same here. Halo is garbage, I can name countless superior FPS games, single and multiplayer.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#31  Edited By wefwefasdf
@MysteriousBob said:
" @Karmum said:
" A game that I enjoy more than Halo, which isn't that hard to do. "
Same here. Halo is garbage, I can name countless superior FPS games, single and multiplayer. "
I bet you can.
JayDubya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By JayDubya

Personally Halo does nothing for me so if a game is a FPS and not completely crap it's a Halo Killer in my book.

Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lambert

Every single AAA shooter in existence?

Unless you are talking about sales, but in terms of quality, there have been so many games on the consoles that have surpass the overrated Halo games.

And on the PC, shooters have always been better than Halo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I think we should just move on from Halo and Call of Duty for just a little bit. Im not saying "OMG GUIZE HALO SUKS AMMIRITE?", but developers should put something a little more fresh on the market rather than recycled sequel after sequel, and we should support new IP's by actually buying them and stop buying sequels to milked to death games.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JCGamer

Halo-killer eh?  I'm pretty surprised that EA executive used that term.  Like most people said, it is really a last-gen term.  COD killer would probably be more appropriate, but still.  I'm still waiting for my "mario-killer".

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Andorski

The game that kills Bungie/343 Industries employees when played by them.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

It's all about the multiplayer. Bungie does a hell of a job with matchmaking, policing the game, and staying on top of glitches and bugs. All of which are problems in other multiplayer shooters. It will be interesting to see what happens when they move on from Halo and Microsoft takes over.