Your most favorite IP introduced in the last-gen era?

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gtxforza

Hello, gamers in Giant Bomb forums!

My personal favorite IP introduced during the 8th-gen gaming era is Assetto Corsa, the first installment in the series is an ultra-realistic sim racing game that features fun and addictive gameplay for those who love circuit racing simulators while having a racing wheel with force-feedback support, but however PS4 and Xbox One version is inferior to the PC version, due to having a different physics engine which feels less accurate to the real-world physics plus A.I opponents appear to be rougher too.

Luckily, I've bought the PC version since 2016 which I had quite a lot of fun with it even I was a controller pad user until in mid-2021 where I've bought the racing wheel that supports force feedback which is even better than using the controller pad so I enjoyed it way even more than before plus this made me prefer this franchise over Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport series.

Differences in terms of sub-genre:

• Assetto Corsa = Sim Racing
  • Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport = Simcade

Not to mention that the developers had an easier time with Simcade when it comes to physics programing and controller pad optimization.

Also, I have a feeling that I will prefer Assetto Corsa 2 more than Gran Turismo 7 and Forza Motorsport Reboot too.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

hmm- personally i tend to favour worldbuilding over gameplay when it comes to IP, so i think i'm naturally drawn towards IPs that have good potential for character and expansion. if were talking strictly created during 8th gen- i'd probably say my top picks are Horizon Zero Dawn, Control, and maybe Hollow Knight

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I can't say i have found a deep connection to most new IP, or necessarily have seen new IP that i expect to be used heavily in the future. The indies tend to switch things up fairly regularly, while the big boys tend to lean on tried and true formula's. That said, some of the standouts are probably

• Titanfall / Apex
  • Bloodborne
  • Undertale
  • Disco Elysium
  • The Sexy Brutale
  • Outer Wilds
  • Control
  • Hollow Knight
  • Moss
  • Superhot
  • Horizon
  • Slay The Spire
  • It Takes Two
  • Nioh
  • Stardew Valley
  • The Hex
  • Inscryption

I probably feel the most connection with underdogs like Sexy Brutale, Nioh, The Hex & Inscryption.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

In terms of pure gameplay, Horizon: Zero Dawn by a country mile. I've said it dozens of times on these forums at this point but I clicked with that combat in a way that was so visceral I actually had a better and better time the more I upped the difficulty and replayed the game pretty much immediately just to experience Ultra Hard+. Then I replayed it again a couple years later since I never got to Frozen Wilds and figured, eh, why not? Just an absolute perfect presentation of controlled chaos IMO and I could play games like that for the rest of my life.

...But it does feel a little flimsy as actual intellectual property, if you know what I mean. I'm skeptical that the story will be all that interesting this second time around despite the world itself being exceptionally well considered and designed. I suppose because the concepts tower so mightily over both characters and actual plot there's always potential for something incredible but as it stands the game is so tied to Aloy and Sylens I just don't know how much flexibility they have to tell unique stories after putting everything out in the open the first time around.

SO, also have to give a huge hat tip to Bloodborne. I've watched Aegon of Astoria's 30-40 hour Youtube Let's Play / Let's Talk in which he plays through the game mostly sequentially while breaking down pretty much every item, weapon and piece of architecture (!!) in the game piece by piece and it's never not fascinating. Even the tombs are full of interesting lore, actually! I've watched multiple narrations of various characters' storylines, watched Brad, Jan and Natalie over at Waypoint play through the game in full (or as much as they'll give us in Brad's case). I immediately got giddy about Borne to Run for the inevitable (???) Danny and Tam Bloodborne run ten years from now. I just can't get enough of that game's vibe and world building - hell I've done all that and I myself haven't beaten the last three bosses of the main game or any of the DLC!

Lastly, shoutout to Control, which actually seems the most potentially evergreen of the three here, I just don't have much to say about it other than "wow, neat."

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By FacelessVixen

I'm just going to say Senran Kagura because I play the games on Steam and console and handheld generations barely mean anything to me these days.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ARMS. Took me back to the days of the Dreamcast, when goofy arcade games reigned supreme.

Slice, Dice, and Rice also got a lot of playtime out of me considering how little content it has.

Nuttism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knack, obviously.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rich666

Bloodborne, with NieR Automata as a close second. Then probably MHW and Control.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Does Rogue Legacy count? It came out on PC before PS4 launched, but didn't come to consoles until after.

Otherwise it looks like Horizon (as in Zero Dawn), Shovel Knight and Control (which I'm not sure counts, since it ties to Alan Wake). I'm struggling to think of others, let alone others I really liked.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ARMS. Took me back to the days of the Dreamcast, when goofy arcade games reigned supreme.

Slice, Dice, and Rice also got a lot of playtime out of me considering how little content it has.

ARMS is a good looking boxing game and I'm pretty sure this IP will have the potential to become even more popular since a character appeared as part of Super Smash Bros Ultimate DLC.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Rogue Legacy count? It came out on PC before PS4 launched, but didn't come to consoles until after.

Otherwise it looks like Horizon (as in Zero Dawn), Shovel Knight and Control (which I'm not sure counts, since it ties to Alan Wake). I'm struggling to think of others, let alone others I really liked.

You can count Rogue Legacy as an IP introduced during the 8th gen-era (Judging its initial release date: June 27th, 2013, while the Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation Vita and Nintendo Wii U are already released since 2011 and 2012 respectively).

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horizon Zero Dawn and Control were my favorite new IP launching games of last gen. I loved Outer Wilds, but that to me just feels like standalone a game not a "new IP." I just feel like there's a difference between a game that is creating a new universe and one that is just a game that isn't a sequel to something else. Although, since Control takes place in the already established "Remedy Universe" which includes Alan Wake and (possibly) other games like Quantum Break, is Control even really a new IP?

asylumrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@onemanarmyy: This comment hammers home how hard a time I have thinking about games as generations anymore. Are It Takes Two, Inscryption, and Disco Elysium 8th generation IPs? All three of them only came to consoles once the ninth generation consoles were out. But also Disco came out before the ninth generation consoles came out? Do games that were in early access in the 8th gen but reached 1.0 in the 9th count as 8th or 9th?

Arbitrarily declaring the 8th gen to end at November 10th, 2020, here are the big standouts for me:

• Titanfall
  • The Evil Within
  • Outer Wilds
  • Death Stranding
  • Control
BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Control, Prey, and Until Dawn.

eukara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really think Sea of Thieves could be something more. They need to get that Monkey Island crossover tho.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Control, Until Dawn, and Horizon Zero Dawn

Gyratyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hades and Into the Breach.

I had high hopes for Indivisible. While I enjoyed my time with it, it's way too flawed to be a favorite. The misconduct at Lab Zero definitely makes it sting all the more.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hellblade was a huge surprise for me. I played it over the course of about 3 long play sessions while my partner watched, and they loved it too.

Control, Prey, and Until Dawn.

Also these one, for sure. They were all spectacular. Until Dawn in particular was a revelation.