Your opinion on handheld/mobile gaming in general?

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gtxforza

Hello

To me, handheld and mobile gaming, in general, are pretty good, but the bad thing is some genres such as Sim Racing, Simcade and fighting both feel uncomfortable compared to PC gaming and home console in my personal opinion.

The gripe for me with sim racing on handheld/mobile gaming:

About a decade ago, I used to play Gran Turismo PSP, the handheld console lacks analogue triggers which I can't proportionally control the cars' throttle and brake, unlike in Forza Motorsport 3 for Xbox 360 and Gran Turismo 5 for PS3, both support racing wheelset and their respective controller pads have analogue triggers which I can proportionally control the cars' throttle and brake.

For fighting games on handhelds:
They have smaller button compared to home consoles' controller pad and arcade stick which resulted for me harder to press the buttons while performing combos. For Switch's fighting games, I'd rather use the Pro Controller.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I just don't have a spot in my day where handheld gaming works or is needed. I don't often have long commutes or time on a train, plane, or bus where I need to be occupied. When I had a PSP, it was a time where I did have a commute. If I'm at home I just so much more comfortable playing my big console.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't have a spot in my day where handheld gaming works or is needed. I don't often have long commutes or time on a train, plane, or bus where I need to be occupied. When I had a PSP, it was a time where I did have a commute. If I'm at home I just so much more comfortable playing my big console.

PSP was a good portable console, and for the Nintendo Switch, I personally treat it as a home console and I usually leave it docked.

In these days of gaming, I barely even play games portable on anywhere ever I go out.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Nodima

If I hadn't been gifted a Switch last month, I'd have last played a game in my hands when Pokemon Yellow came out. Now, I sometimes play Hades or Breath of the Wild on my couch while hungover. It's nice, but hasn't rewired my brain or anything.

trh5001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a switch and a switch lite and lite gets way more use.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trh5001 said:

I have a switch and a switch lite and lite gets way more use.

I agreed that Switch Lite sounds more suitable for portable gaming.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have a lot of nostalgia for handhelds. Even if I'm just setting on the couch, I'm more likely to play the Switch in handheld mode.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i played the switch in handheld when i was travelling a lot- and it was pretty awesome for that purpose.

these days- not so much travel, so...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The last handheld I played a significant amount of was my 3DS. I have a Switch but very rarely take it out of the dock.

It's not that I dislike the concept, it's that I don't travel and when going somewhere, I'm always driving. When at home, I'd rather play on the TV.

I do want one of those Analogue Game Boys, though, those things look sleek. And also have a dock for playing games on a TV.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Let's just say that my PlayStation Vita has been getting some use recently.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

There was a brief moment in my life when I was in college and my daily commute by subway took 45 minutes each way and thats when I got a lot of play out of my PSP. I remember that God of War game quite fondly. Other than that, like others have mentioned in this thread, at this point I no longer have time for gaming on the go and when I'm home I rather just play on a big TV or my PC instead of a handheld.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

It's nice if you got a job where there's a lot of downtime/standby. Otherwise, as an adult, I don't find much use in mobile and portable gaming. If I'm traveling, I'm going somewhere with a purpose to do something and won't have time or be in the mood for games. If I'm going to be extended away from my home, I just bring my laptop and can game on that. As a kid, though, portable gaming is very nice to have as an option, when you're getting dragged to places where you gotta kill time.

plinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This might be unusual but I use my Switch in portable mode a whole lot while at home. I like having podcasts or videos in the background on my TV while playing Switch games that I don't really need to think too hard about, like Tetris or Lumines or stuff like that. I do it a lot but unfortunately I get a bit too addicted to this way of playing things and I have trouble playing games with story or narrative because I can't pay attention to the game or the videos if I do that. It's a nice way to relax though. That's how I've been playing portable recently. So I guess I'm kinda playing portable a whole lot even though I'm not going anywhere? It works for me so I really love my Switch.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Handheld good

Mobile bad

Avatar image for senorsucks2suck
senorsucks2suck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

It's absolute trash. All of the:

• different controllers
    No Caption Provided
    • once apple standardizes a controller that slips on like their external battery that has 2 clickable joysticks, bumper, shoulder, and all the bells and whistles of a 360 controller I am 100% in to the point of possibly only playing games on my phone. Until then we are in a dark age of everything being a mad katz controller. Parity with 360 is a must, no psp nubbins. I would absolutely go apple arcade. Let the case charge my phone too.
  • clips on
  • forced touch screen controls
  • free to start
  • free to play
  • I am not carrying around Nintendo Switch with a purse for it. So don't care about a Switch
gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gtxforza

@senorsucks2suck: @rebel_scum:

Not to mention that majority of free 2 play mobile games has so many microtransactions and pay to win elements.

tradee9691

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never been able to get into any mobile gaming. It seems like it is all free to play. The ones that aren't, i can never get past the touch controls. I really like the switch but since I almost always play games at home, I would much rather be playing games on PS4/5. I think it is a lack of games from Nintendo that make me NEED to play them. GIve me BOTW2.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never been able to get into any mobile gaming. It seems like it is all free to play. The ones that aren't, i can never get past the touch controls. I really like the switch but since I almost always play games at home, I would much rather be playing games on PS4/5. I think it is a lack of games from Nintendo that make me NEED to play them. GIve me BOTW2.

I hope Breath Of The Wild 2 will be good.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gtxforza

@facelessvixen said:

Let's just say that my PlayStation Vita has been getting some use recently.

I used to like PlayStation handheld since the PSP until when PS Vita come out which most games have bad optimizations (Running roughly between 15-30 FPS ish), a poor library of games and expensive memory cards which made me lose interest in PlayStation handheld.

While the 30 FPS optimization on PS4, Xbox One, Wii U and Switch, they are much more stable.

I'd personally much more prefer PlayStation and Xbox home consoles more than handhelds in general.

For Nintendo's consoles, they're okay in my opinion but I can admit their library of games is incredible.