Your Personal End Of The Year Asshole Awards!

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By algertman

This is the place to post your very own awards! It can be anything video game related!

Most Ridiculous "Celebrity" In A Game - Oliver North for BLOPS2

Best Viral Site - NeoGAF for SONY

Best Bought Off Gaming Site - Polygon for Microsoft

Biggest Hypocrite - Jim Sterling! Self proclaim feminist who works for Destructoid who got bought off on Lollipop Chainsaw. You know the game that had an ad campaign of a glorified booth babe. Jim gave the game 9.0 review score and the D'toid had a contest giving away swag boxes they got. Nope, nothing questionable there!

Best Punchline - Kotaku

Biggest Entitled Bitches - People who had problems with the Mass Effect 3 endings. How dare you question art you little shits!

Best Use of Kickstarter - TIE! Tropes v. Women in Videogames for still not releasing any videos after making more money than she knew what to do with. Don't question her though or you will be attacked by her white knights. Also Penny Arcade for being allowed to break Kickstarter rules so they run their front page of their very successful site without ads and ran a smear campaign against OUYA which had its Kickstarter going at the same time and raised far more money than Penny Arcade.

The Worst Thing In Gaming This Year - Videogame Journalism.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Getz

Forum Asshole Award: Probably doesn't go to you but you're runner-up for calling a game journalist "bought off" without a hint of irony.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Getz said:

Forum Asshole Award: Probably doesn't go to you but you're runner-up for calling a game journalist "bought off" without a hint of irony.

That's funny, I was about to post pretty much the same thing. Seems so obvious.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Nentisys

algertman is my asshole of the year because your list is full of stupid.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By crazyleaves

Also no cussin' in titles, asshole.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By crusader8463

Elisha Cuthbert. Not only does she have a great ass but a great everything.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By L44

This could have been done a little more tastefully. But I think I kind of agree with how ridiculous some people were when it came to the Mass Effect 3 ending.

SemiDetached

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By SemiDetached

@crusader8463 said:

Elisha Cuthbert. Not only does she have a great ass but a great everything.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By impartialgecko

@Getz said:

This thread is over. You have articulated all that needs to be said.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By vaiz

The too cool for school cynicism and/or irony is strong in this thread.

Also your first category is wrong. Obviously it's Avenged Sevenfold in Blops2.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Branthog

@L44 said:

This could have been done a little more tastefully. But I think I kind of agree with how ridiculous some people were when it came to the Mass Effect 3 ending.

Even the GB crew have come around to realizing what a lazy (probably spurred by EA bullshit) utter "fuck you" the ending is to players and the poster seemed like he was being pretty clearly sarcastic in his comment on that point.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By algertman

@punkxblaze said:

The too cool for school cynicism and/or irony is strong in this thread.

Also your first category is wrong. Obviously it's Avenged Sevenfold in Blops2.

See I thought that as well but the Ollie North thing is just so bizarre I had to give it to that. It's like Dick Cheney voicing himself in a Cabela's hunting game.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By L44

@Branthog: I got the best Control ending and thought the ending was overwhelmingly average but not terrible. But hey lets not turn this thread into another one of those threads.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By nintendoeats

I'm not too worried about it. You get shot halfway through the movie for being an idiot.

Spikenzie talk?

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Ryan Davies, every year.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaggE

Those folks that think everybody is either horribly biased or on the take should probably get a mention.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Branthog

@ShaggE said:

Those folks that think everybody is either horribly biased or on the take should probably get a mention.

They're the equivalent of nutty conspiracy theorists. When you have an ocean of morons going on about how the president and his administration are all secretly grey aliens from the Andromeda galaxy, it taints anyone who raises any strange government issues at all (like the people who talked about the government having performed hideous medical tests on prisoners before it was eventually released and admitted to). Likewise, by having an ocean of morons on the internet saying that *everyone* is bought off in every circumstance (using things like "that game got an 8.0 but only deserved a 7.5!" as evidence), it makes it easier for "journalists" across the board to dismiss everyone questioning even the most egregious behavior.

Also, the OBVIOUS WINNER OF BIGGEST ASSHOLES goes to every person and company that supported SOPA, ACTA, and everything since that attempts to enact small bits of it (and worse) in other legislation, since then.

It's hard to think that was only months ago. It feels like that happened a decade ago!

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By breadfan
@nintendoeats

I'm not too worried about it. You get shot halfway through the movie for being an idiot.

Spikenzie talk?

You win.
Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#19  Edited By Kidavenger

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

Ryan Davies, every year.

The guy has been dead for 35 years, maybe you should give it a rest.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By laserbolts

@Getz said:

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By themangalist

I almost thought from the thread title that we'd be pointing fingers at each other on the forums. You know, that's where the assholes are really at.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShaggE

@Branthog: Oh man, that's right, SOPA/PIPA/ACTA/FUBU/CNBC happened this year! There's my non-snarky vote, then.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By h0lgr
@algertman said:

Biggest Entitled Bitches - People who had problems with the Mass Effect 3 endings. How dare you question art you little shits!

Oh, hold on guys, I need to take a moment to step outside and laugh. 
I'll be back in this thread in a minute.
deinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deinos

I think Phil Fish has to make it somewhere in these awards:

a) for fucking over his fans with the Xbox 360 patch shit

b) for his comments toward Japanese developers (whether there is some truth to it or not)

What an asshole...

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25  Edited By Levio

@themangalist said:

I almost thought from the thread title that we'd be pointing fingers at each other on the forums. You know, that's where the assholes are really at.

Yeah, I was hoping it would be a list of forumers and I would have to nervously check to see if my name was on it. What a letdown!

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jerseyscum

Jim Sterling is a good duder. He's a complete troll at times, but he's an entertaining one. Baseless accusations that somebody is "bought off" is just lazy cynicism masquerading as intelligence.

kadayi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kadayi

@algertman said:

The Worst Thing In Gaming This Year - Videogame Journalism.

Agreed with that. The amount of angst and misplaced anger caused by some occasional games writer (strictly a side line to his principal career of being a TV comedian/personality BTW) throwing a wobbly over an editorial decision regarding a piss poor article he wrote that had every gaming conspiracy theorist reaching for the torches and pitchforks to hunt down the 'corruption' in the gaming press was frankly hilarious. For a couple of weeks everyone was convinced Rab Florence was the second coming, and then he wrote an article basically outline that Pete Molyneux was the devil and would destroy kickstarter......people weren't so convinced on that score strangely enough.

Couple that with the whole Arthur Gies/Colin Moriarty 'entitled whiners' thing it's not exactly been a great year as regards 'games journalism' for sure

I'm kind of with the GB guys in that 'journalism' is not what they do, or what Jeff Keightley does either, so trying to hold the entire industry to these notional standards of excellence is a nonsense, least of all from a guy whose largely outside the industry and isn't reliant on it to make a living. If people believe that a writers a shill for a company, a game or a platform then that's going to reflect in their writing, and people are going to assess it accordingly. If a writer wants to maintain an audience then honesty of opinion is the only currency they have. I think the bigger insult is really that people like Florence believe, We the readers are seemingly too stupid to spot a bad review at the end of the day, or we don't shop around for opinions.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jerseyscum

I do agree with you with the Tropes VS Women bullshit. What a massive and obvious scam that turned out to be right? So a Womyn's Studies Major who wrote her bullshit thesis on Joss Whedon isn't the self-appointed authority on gender issues in gaming? Shocking! And thanks for completely poisoning the well with an obvious and patronizing cash grab and making any meaningful discussion about women's issues in gaming now near-impossible.

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#29  Edited By mcmax3000

@algertman said:

Best Use of Kickstarter - TIE! Tropes v. Women in Videogames for still not releasing any videos after making more money than she knew what to do with. Don't question her though or you will be attacked by her white knights.

If you're going to call her out for not hitting her release target on a Kickstarter project, you should be calling out almost every successful Kickstarter project.

Just look up & down the list of successfully funded Kickstarter games: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/28/the-kickstarter-successes-where-are-they-now/

Many of them that have either had their release date pass, or are nearing their release date, have given no indication that release is coming anytime soon (including many that were funded well beyond what they asked for), and some haven't posted any update in months.

Calling out one specific project for missing their release date, when so many others do the exact same thing, really just says that you have something against that particular project, and are looking to attack it for any reason you can.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Winternet

Asshole Of The Year: Ryan Davis, maintaining his undefeated streak for 11 years. Ryan Davis is therefore known as The Undertaker of video game journalism.