With 40 or so lists, I wanted to see which games were mentioned the most. I did not do any weighted scoring, a lot of the lists weren't ordered. A mention = 1 vote, honorable mentions were not counted. If a lot more ppl post their lists, I will tally them.
The top 10 games looks like this:
10 Tie: NieR: A & Hitman (9 Votes)
9 Tie: NieR: A & Hitman (9 Votes)
8 Tie: Stardew Valley & Persona 5 (10)
7 Tie: Stardew Valley & Persona 5 (10)
6: Overwatch (11)
5: Bloodborne (14)
4: Doom (15)
3 Tie: MGSV & Zelda BotW (16)
2 Tie: MGSV & Zelda BotW (16)
1: The Witcher 3 (19 Votes)
Original Post (3/22)
I know it's kind of a boring topic but it's been such a good generation, I thought it'd be worth asking.
By this gen I mean:
Games released for the 1st time in your region on or after Nov 15, 2013 (PS4 release) for PS4, XBO, Wii U, Switch, 3DS, Vita, PC, and/or mobile.
Episodic games finished on or after Nov 15, 2013.
Here is my list, honorable mentions, and games I still haven't played but want to.
My Top 10:
10. Night in the Woods - NitW poops on itself in the final 20% or so, which almost makes you forget how powerful most of the game is. But make no mistake, most of this game is fucking gold.
9. Gravity Rush 2 - If it wasn’t for the handful of problems GR2 has, the game might be #1 on my list. Still, its beauty, its charm, its delightful attitude warms my heart like very few games.
8. Hyper Light Drifter - I was mesmerized by the mysterious world and its tone, its brilliant sounds, and its swift strategic combat. Indie masterpiece.
7. Doom - Best shooting ever in gaming period? Probably.
6. NieR: Automata - Great story, great music. Another one that could easily be higher if the gameplay had more depth to sustain a 50 hour game or the game was shorter.
5. Wolfenstein 2:The New Colossus - One of the best FPS campaigns of all time.
4. Life is Strange - Perhaps the biggest surprise of the gen, Dontnod, a promising studio with a promising game under their belt, delivered one of the most impactful games in recent memory. LiS did the unthinkable and pulled me back into a genre Telltale single-handedly over-saturated and ruined.
3. The Witcher 3 - W3 should be one of the best of all time but it has to settle as one of the best of the gen because of it's uninteresting boring combat. Still, the sheer breath of quality content makes it undeniable.
2. The Last Guardian - TLG just clicked with me in ways it just didn't for most ppl. It swept me away the previous Team Ico games almost did but not quite. Trico is amazing and the story delivered in ways I just did not expect. Thousand percent worth the wait.
1. Metal Gear Solid V - I still think it's the best playing game of this gen and it's the game I had the most fun with. I kept dumping hours into it and I don't regret a second of it. Yeah, the story is unfinished but it still has highs most games can't touch.
10. Emily is Away - This was like getting into a time machine. I’m a nostalgic guy and a sucker for this kinda stuff but this one especially hit the right notes.
9. Wolfenstein: The New Order - The start of what’s turning out to be a masterful trilogy.
8. The Beginner's Guide - This one just spoke to me.
7. Undertale - I wish the combat did anything for me but otherwise, Undertale is/was worth its praise.
6. Life is Strange: Before the Storm - Play it to believe it, they fucking did it. It’s great, mostly.
5. The Evil Within - The most under appreciated game of the gen. I don’t care what you think, this game is the shit.
4. Hitman Go - As a fan of the series, I was completely shocked by how they captured the spirit of Hitman. I loved the board game aesthetic, I loved the puzzles, and the deadpan black comedy essence retained.
3. The Wolf Among Us - The only Telltale game I care about. I just really dig the world and I love being a detective. Pretty nice style too.
2. Inside - Limbo was my favorite game to hate last gen so I kinda wrote off Inside even before playing it. What I got was a Uncharted 2 inspired, AAA indie thrill ride at its finest. It’s the Pixar of video games y’all.
1. Hitman - I’m a long time fan of the series and I have played some of it but I haven’t sunk enough time on this game for me to feel comfortable putting it in my top 10 but it’ll most likely eventually be on there.
Games I Haven't Played But Want To:
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Don’t own a Switch/Wii U
- Super Mario Odyssey - Don’t own a Switch
- Dishonored 2 - Playing it. Loving it.
- Prey - Own it. Have to play it.
- Bloodborne - Own it. Have to play it.
- The Evil WIthin 2 - Own it. Have to play it.
- Persona 5 - Own it. Have to play it.
- Into the Breach - Have to buy it.
- Yakuza 0 - Have to buy it.
- Quadrilateral Cowboy - Have to buy it.