Your Worst, Most Unexpected, Startle Scare in a Non-Horror Game?

• 84 results
Avatar image for captainlunchbox
Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Captainlunchbox

So I'm talking a non-horror game here. Everyone who's playing the Resident Evils, Dead Spaces, and Fatal Frames knows that something is out to get them. You are constantly on edge and the games listed previously do their best to build that tension constantly. The real art, here, is crafting a moment that scares you in a game that is otherwise not even trying to. It's almost even more effective to try and execute in a game that isn't scary if only because it is so unexpected. The more pleasant and mellow the game, the more embarrassing this is. So, without further adieu, here's mine:

No Caption Provided

In SNK vs. Capcom: Card FIghter's Clash. No, I'm not kidding. I jumped. 

After your first few matches early on in the game, in the upper right corner of the room you're in- there's a giant space on the floor. It has yellow and black caution borders and is marked "DANGER" in red lettering. You don't even get more than a few spaces from it, and then there's this really loud "BLOOOP" followed by a loud "rumble" as the screen shakes and the floor opens up!!!

... Only to reveal a booth marked "SHOP" That's right, a shop scared the piss out of me. I'm expecting some sort of CARD BOSS ULTIMAGEDDON INSTA-KILL BATTLE- but I get a shop that comes up from the ground. While that is a pretty bad-ass way to make an entrance, it was a bit overkill.

It'd be like peering into a cave, hearing an ear splitting roar, and then a bunny hops out. 

Thanks, SNK.
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

It probably involved a cougar and/or bear in Red Dead Redemption. 

Avatar image for metalgeargeorge
MetalGearGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MetalGearGeorge

Don't know if it qualifies as a scare but i was pretty freaked out when you shove that fang-shaped knife in that dude's brain in Baikonur in Black Ops.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By recroulette

"Check Cable" screen from Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine from Game Gear. 

Thinking back on it, I'm not sure if it was even real or just a nightmare, but that thing used to scare the hell out of me. So much that I stopped playing it.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By jorbear

All the time in multiplayer games. I always get startled when someone comes around a corner, and I'm not expecting it. 

Avatar image for captainlunchbox
Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Captainlunchbox
@RecSpec said:
" "Check Cable" screen from Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine from Game Gear.  Thinking back on it, I'm not sure if it was even real or just a nightmare, but that thing used to scare the hell out of me. So much that I stopped playing it. "
That is a good one.
MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MiniPato

Playing the hardest difficulty in MGS3 where getting caught resulted in a game over. I was crawling through the grass when a soldier was behind me and spotted me. The exclamation point sound scared the shit out of me because I was too focused on being sneaky and quiet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de441812a230
deactivated-5de441812a230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

G-Man bathtub party!
G-Man bathtub party!
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Knife ending in 999 (I even made a thread about it).

Also, playing as naked Raiden. For several reasons.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By FacelessVixen

The music that plays when you first enter the castle in Mario 64.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee
@MooseyMcMan said:

" It probably involved a cougar and/or bear in Red Dead Redemption.  "

This, but also in RDR when I was admiring John Marston's sexy self watching him walk with the camera facing his front and I accidentally walked off a cliff.
Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Clinkz
@TheSilentTruth said:
" The music that plays when you first enter the castle in Mario 64. "
The eels and pretty much any underwater level in Mario 64. Having the calm, tranquil water music playing when an eel jumps out at you is unsettling.
ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By ventilaator

The first time I accidentally got caught and heard the exclamation noise in MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS:PO, MGS:PW, MGA, MGA2 and MGS4

It's something of a tradition.

velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By velucyraptor
@MooseyMcMan said:
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel

This scared the shit out of me when I was a kid:

Damn you, Ganon.  Damn you to everlasting Hell.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EvilTwin

Various headcrab incidents in Half-Life 2. 

freshakiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By freshakiff

In metroid fusion the thing that took your suit would always appear out of nowhere and you'd have to hide, and if you didn't (or you hid bad) it would kill you. always scared me really bad.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kishan6

Id say honestly just being on the beaches for the first time in Medal Of Honor Frontline was more rattleing than almost any other experience in gaming at that time 
and idk if it counts but Bioshock scared the fuck out of me sometimes  
@EvilTwin said:

" Various headcrab incidents in Half-Life 2.  "

This
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Pie

Far cry 2 jeeps

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
@freshakiff:
The SA-X.  That thing was terrifying every time it appeared.

Probably some of the underwater battles in Monster Hunter Tri.  Seeing as I'm already terrified of water, can barely swim, and hate the idea of anything with a mouth big enough to swallow me whole, the game was pretty much a perfect storm of terror for me.
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FacelessVixen
@Clinkz said:
" @TheSilentTruth said:
" The music that plays when you first enter the castle in Mario 64. "
The eels and pretty much any underwater level in Mario 64. Having the calm, tranquil water music playing when an eel jumps out at you is unsettling. "
Dude, that too! I didn't play the water based levels until I was nine or ten, because when I was six I thought that if I drowned as Mario that I would die in real life.
korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By korolev

In the past two or three years - Fallout New Vegas, when near the end of the "they-went-that-a-way" quest, Victor will suddenly just appear behind you and initiate conversation. That made me jump - you're just walking around the mojave wasteland when suddenly "HOWDY FRIEND!". 

Apart from that - COD4 - the dogs - especially when you're too concentrated on something else and you don't really hear them coming and suddenly "BAM" you're down. I hate those dogs so much.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Animasta

The void, I wouldn't call it horror but literally half of the characters are fucking terrifying. FOR EXAMPLE:

No Caption Provided
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Black_Rose

Whenever a Metroid appears for the first time in a Metroid game. Those things creep the fuck out of me. 

Mattxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mattxx

That damn AI in Mass Effect 2 Overlord DLC screaming. Goddamn I had my headphones on and had the sound up pretty high. I almost jumped out of my chair.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TorMasturba

I was playing Oblivion, sneaking in the wilds of Cyrodiil towards a deer, approaching for the kill, when I suddenly, out of the blue, was spoken to by an NPC that was delivering a letter to me. 
Now I'd been sneaking for some time as I just wanted to try for authenticity just this once, and this very one time that I am going for authenticity this NPC pops out of nowhere and says: "You there! I have a letter for you!" (Or something along that line.)
Frightened the burjeezers out of me so much. And needless to say that the deer noticed us and ran off.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Getz
@MooseyMcMan said:
Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By easthill

The poison-headcrabs from Half Life 2...

BackupPanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BackupPanic
@Mattxx said:

" That damn AI in Mass Effect 2 Overlord DLC screaming. Goddamn I had my headphones on and had the sound up pretty high. I almost jumped out of my chair. "

This, but for the entire game. 

I hate Miranda's guttural battle cries so fuckin' much . . .
endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By endaround
Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#33  Edited By Mystyr_E

Getting randomly shot by raiders/super mutants in Fallout 3, especially if you have headphones on. 

Be walking along, listen to the calm music, no red triangles on mini-map then BLAM

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Trebz

If it counts as a non-horror game, the dentist/some kinda doctor in Bioshock. I jumped in my chair the first time. Too bad it was scripted. 

logicfracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By logicfracture

Probably the space pirates in Metroid Prime. They were always hiding in the ventilation.  
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Djeffers03
@MooseyMcMan said:
I would also say this. Playing with a surround sound Astro headset on at almost full volume made it even worse. I would heard the faintest of noises which was the panting/footsteps and then... BOOM!
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#37  Edited By wefwefasdf

The first time you run into a werewolf in OoT I quit playing for the rest of day. Those things are terrifying.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ThePickle

The husks in ME2. When you get hit by one, your feet are glued to the ground. 

Avatar image for thevideohustler
TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By TheVideoHustler

During Hitman: Blood Money, when that crazy bitch dressed as an angle brutality stabs you like 40 times. That crazy cut sense comes out of no where

uhrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By uhrag

Ninja Gaiden on NES...  I was looking for something and when I turned my eyes back to the tv, the face of Jaquio burned into my memory forever... I ran like hell to outside.  That picture got me pretty scared when I was a kid. @ 6:30.  
Still makes my heart pound faster than the heart of a hummingbird 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I distinctly remember a moment in Half-Life 2 where I was walking down a dark tunnel and a fast zombie jumped up into my face, screeching as it went. I must say, it was a little unexpected.

stringbacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By stringbacon

Avatar image for delicious_brains
Delicious_Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Delicious_Brains

Creeping around in Fallout New Vegas and then standing on a bear trap/ trip-wire shotgun trap *HEART POUNDS*

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SSully

Almost every enemy in minecraft has startled me at some point. I will be exploring a cave very carefully and SWISH PLUNK an arrow comes out of the dark and nearly takes me out. Or I am walking underneath a hole from the surface and all of a sudden, SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BOOM a creeper comes out of no where. It is a terrible brutal world in minecraft. 

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By VierasTalo

Back when Morrowind came out, I knew nothing about the game or it's predecessors. I went into it vanilla and got a fresh experience. The combat was easy and I killed everything that moved. Then, one day, I was running around a temple. Everything was musky, dark and gloomy. I come to this corridor, and look down the hallway. In the end, is a dark, wide shape. It turns to me and it starts moving. It's coming closer, and as I pee my pants I can see it's horrible features unfold before my very eyes.

Hell yes I ran. And from there on I've just been scared shitless over every Ascended Sleeper I've seen in the game. They just creep me the hell out.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Nux

In Metal Gear Solid Snake eater I was moveing around a dark cave and out of no ware a snake came out and attacked. I was prone at the time so the snake flew fight at the screen. Man did I jump.
JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JerichoBlyth

The intro to Strider actually scared me witless as a child. As soon as I pressed start, I didn't realise I would hear that high pitched, 16-bit laugh through my speakers :-s

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jack268

Batman Arkham Asylum's Scarecrow parts. The first one, where you're in the morgue, confused the shit out of me because I didn't know I had to investigate the corpses. So first I walked around in there with that pressuring windy sound pushing my ears, and then I investigate the first corpses (moma and pops) and then I decided that what the hell, this is probably just for atmosphere. So I walk out the door and BOOM another fucking morgue. I just do the same thing again with the body bag and WHAT THE SHIT FUCKING SCARECROW OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE. My heartrate had already built from walking around with that sound on loud and when this shit happened I jumped so much I had to pause and get something to drink. 

I mean, I knew Scarecrow was gonna be somewhere around there and I was pretty confident Jim wasn't dead, but I was so dulled out after having walked around for so long that him popping out like that really hit home. I think the sound really played a major part in building it up though. 

Also, dem zombies in Mass Effect. DAT FUCKING SOUND.  

I really shouldn't play video games with headphones on. I'm quite confident I could piss myself playing pokemon or some shit. Playing Metro 2033 is a fucking pain because it also has dat sound which makes me feel uncomfortable because I know some shit will happen but I have no idea WHAT it will be.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By slyspider

mine craft.... fuck you spiders

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Surkov

The elevator scene in Half-Life 2: Episode 1. Still one of the best encounters in FPS history.