YouTube finally rolls out 60FPS, here's a Mordor sample

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

It's about freaking time, YouTube. There is a Kotaku article up (yeah I know, I know) that has a few details, but the only real details it has are that you need Google Chrome or Safari to see videos in 60 fps, and the video must be set to 720p or above.

Here is a quick Shadow of Mordor clip I made using Nvidia ShadowPlay strictly to test how this actually looks - excuse the rusty combat. I can't wait to see what others are going to do with their videos now! What do you think? Have any plans for anything now that your videos aren't going to be cut down to 30 fps?

This was recorded in 1080p60, so try it in that quality on YouTube in full screen and see how it looks! Remember this only works in Chrome and Safari for now (possibly IE? Definitely not Firefox)

and the recent Quick Look for Lords of the Fallen!

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Baillie
Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Strife777

Thank fucking god.

To think that the most used video service *EVER* has only implemented it now, is just mind boggling. I get that they're all about "efficiency", low bit-rate and all, but man.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie: Hm I'll just move the embedded QL you put in over here

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@mb said:

it has are that you need Google Chrome to see videos in 60 fps, and the video must be set to 720p or above.

It plays just fine at 60 fps in Safari 8 on Yosemite for me.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

@mb: The Quick Look is definitely running at 60, your SoM video seemed to lock at 30 for me though.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

it has are that you need Google Chrome to see videos in 60 fps, and the video must be set to 720p or above.

It plays just fine at 60 fps in Safari 8 on Yosemite for me.

Great! The only comments I saw on the Kotaku article were from Firefox and IE users and they were all complaining it wasn't working. I didn't even think about Safari.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mike

@creamypies: Yeah it was at 60, then dropped back down to 30 for some reason. I removed it for now, I'll keep checking back over the next few minutes though.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mike

Well the 60 fps-ness of my video seems to be back. May be a bug or that YouTube is just overloaded right now, who knows. At any rate I edited it back into the top post.

Here's a quick clip of DmC - never played it before but I think I may just start!

Loading Video...

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shame it's chrome and safari only but YT/flash has been so dreadful on firefox for a while now. Entire systems grinding to a halt because of 1 youtube video is not a good time.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now people will start complaining that they don't have 4k support.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

weird, video locks a few seconds in as the audio continues in the Mordor video. The quick look seems to run fine, though.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It looks good, it really does make a big difference. I didn't realize how much I wanted it until it happened.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mike

weird, video locks a few seconds in as the audio continues in the Mordor video. The quick look seems to run fine, though.

Weird, are you using Chrome? I just tried it again and it's still working for me.

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FajitaBoss

Looking good

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks really good.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for fighting game videos to start utilizing this.

hacksword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like it. It might be OK for a shooter type game, but it's inappropriate for action games like Mordor or DmC. Please re-render your videos to 30 FPS to make them more cinematic and thus look better. Thanks in advance.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By Hamst3r

I wish Youtube would up their bitrates.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#21  Edited By Sin4profit

@mb: Weird, I am using Chrome. The audio streams, no problem, but the video freezes about 3 to 4 seconds in, regardless of where i start it from. Checked another video and it does the same thing at 1080:60fps but works fine at 720:60fps.

Could be a video card issue. I'm using a Radeon HD 5800 series with the latest drivers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Christ... Is that what (compressed) 1080p solid 60 fps looks like? I really... really need to upgrade my motherboard and cpu.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't like it. It might be OK for a shooter type game, but it's inappropriate for action games like Mordor or DmC. Please re-render your videos to 30 FPS to make them more cinematic and thus look better. Thanks in advance.

hah

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Now publishers are going to have many more problems marketing a 30fps title if a competitor's game runs at 60fps. If this leads to graphically less impressive console games with better frame rates, I'm okay with that.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, that's 60 fps alright. Good on them.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks so much more fluid. I can't believe some devs recently have argued that 60 is better than 30.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Slaegar

The compression doesn't really do it justice; what it feels like to play from 30 to 60 back to 30 in a game, but some of the scenes where there is little movement like at the end with just the rain, look real nice.

Also I can't seem to play them at all on firefox+silly addons. Chrome ran them fine, though.

xagefu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xagefu

Man I had forgotten how bad youtube compression really is. But now that I can see videos in 60 fps on there it's really apparent.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

Now people will start complaining that they don't have 4k support.

I'm pretty sure Youtube already has 4k support.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Huh. I knew that Lords of the Fallen looked smoother than your average Youtube video. Glad to hear this is finally a thing.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Made another Mordor clip in better light.

Some artifacting is definitely apparent, especially at the beginning when the character is running quickly. Other than that the quality seems fine, especially for a totally free service.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

HERE THEY COME!

adulfzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By adulfzen

@hacksword said:

What ?

I don't even know if you're joking or not..

Anyway here is Yoshi Wooly World trailer in 60 fps :

Loading Video...

Midjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Midjet

Just going to dogpile onto the 60 FPS hype train, previously appreciating something like audiosurf was a bit difficult as you really need proper framerate for it to look/feel good.

Now you can show it off on youtube at an acceptable frame rate.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Only game that matters:

Loading Video...

Shakey1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sin4profit: It appears as though people with a graphics card from the AMD Radeon series, possibly all AMD cards but people are still figuring this out so I can't say for certain, are having a variety of issues with Youtube's 60fps option ranging from hitching and glitching as it has for you or frame rate hitting no higher than 30fps, sometimes going as low as 15fps, as it has for me.

Some people have fixed it by turning off hardware acceleration in chrome, go to chrome://flags/#disable-accelerated-video-decode and click enable, though that only effects the flash video not the HTML5 video. Some have also apparently fixed it by installing AMD Catalyst 14.9.2 BETA drivers, found here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst14-9-2BetaWINReleaseNotes.aspx

I've tried both and am still getting no more than 30fps but maybe you'll have more luck.

Midjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shakey1245: That seems crazy that it would be affected by your video card, don't they do most of the processing CPU side for HTML5 players? Does 60FPS work in the GB player for ya?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By cornbredx

I've just gotten around to having the chance to see some of these. Yep, they definitely look way better now.

Shakey1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@midjet: That was my initial reaction but whilst trying to work out why I couldn't get 60fps out of youtube I stumbled across a couple of places with people having issues with it and the one thing they had in common was AMD Radeon HD cards, same as myself and @sin4profit.

Just tried disabling and re-enabling hardware acceleration in chrome again and that seems to have done the job. Still a little jittery now and again but definitely getting 60fps now.