Close Combat + Men of War = <3

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By gpbmike

Last night as I was falling asleep, it occurred to me why I've been enjoying the Men of War beta so much recently. Back in the 90s I played a lot of the Close Combat franchise. This was back when it was a WWII RTS. My brother and I played the first four or five iterations which were all roughly the same game. Eventually we got bored with the series as they didn't do anything to improve it. Even the most recent version released this year has the same flat graphics.  

Close Combat in 2010. Looks the same as 1996. That's all flat btw.

Close Combat action. Bullets are represented by red and green lines. Like Star Wars.
 Close Combat action. Bullets are represented by red and green lines. Like Star Wars.

What I'd love to see is a merge of the strategic campaign map of the Close Combat games, with the gameplay of Men of War: Assault Squad. The campaigns in the Men of War series are rubbish and we won't even talk about the voice acting, but all they need to do is make a campaign map of Europe that you can fight your way across like in the Close Combat series. Keep persistent damage to the environments you fight in. Manage your units from a higher strategic level. It could be great! 

I want Close Combat strategy, but Men of War action like this.
gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gpbmike

Last night as I was falling asleep, it occurred to me why I've been enjoying the Men of War beta so much recently. Back in the 90s I played a lot of the Close Combat franchise. This was back when it was a WWII RTS. My brother and I played the first four or five iterations which were all roughly the same game. Eventually we got bored with the series as they didn't do anything to improve it. Even the most recent version released this year has the same flat graphics.  

What I'd love to see is a merge of the strategic campaign map of the Close Combat games, with the gameplay of Men of War: Assault Squad. The campaigns in the Men of War series are rubbish and we won't even talk about the voice acting, but all they need to do is make a campaign map of Europe that you can fight your way across like in the Close Combat series. Keep persistent damage to the environments you fight in. Manage your units from a higher strategic level. It could be great! 

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By s7evn

I really did love the close combat games, now I think company of heroes has taken the torch ( I haven't played men of war, is it any good).

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake
@s7evn said:
" I really did love the close combat games, now I think company of heroes has taken the torch ( I haven't played men of war, is it any good). "
I haven't played Men of War for a particularly long time but from my time with it does have a lot of micro managing in it. I'm a big fan of the Close Combat series but yeah I think Company of Heroes has really taken the charge in terms of WW2 strategy games.
gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gpbmike
@s7evn: Men of War: Assault Squad is good, previous Men of War titles were pretty frustrating for me. 

@eroticfishcake: There is much less micro-management in the beta for me. The AI seems vastly improved over the previous versions. However, from what I've seen, those who micro well will dominate against those who don't. 

I like Company of Heroes but it's too arcady for me. I like the complexity that's offered in Men of War with limited ammo and the damage models for vehicles. That said, if Company of Heroes were to bring in the campaign map stuff from Close Combat, I would be all over that.
Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By Forcen

Hey, i just realized that you haven't done any quick looks for a while. Looking forward to potentional new ones.

Like this game for example.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#6  Edited By kalmis

Close Combat was a great franchise. Didn't know that they've done remakes to all of them.

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gpbmike
@Forcen: Yeah, maybe we'll do one when it's released. 

@kalmis: Yeah, it's a bummer they didn't do more with the graphics or something.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mikemcn

Holy crap, Someone else other than me plays the Men of War beta! IM NOT CRAZY! Yes!

@gpbmike:
I only ever played the demo of one of the close combat games, and that was quite awhile ago, seemed interesting at least. But i'm surprised you didn't enjoy the Men of War campaign, the voice acting is garbage but the scenarios and the feeling of accomplishment after completing as section of the game is fantastic. What do you think about the Skirmish mode in Assault squad?

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gpbmike
@Mikemcn: I enjoy the skirmish mode but the problem is that it's the same every time. I'm sure there will be more than two maps in the final release, but I've memorized where all the enemies are and it has become more of a speedrun than a strategy game. I've been enjoying the randomness that comes with playing other humans brings to the table. Even if most of the games I've played are pretty one-sided. I think the sense of accomplishment that comes from destroying a well positioned tiger or pershing in multiplayer outweighs that of getting through the frustration of a campaign level.
Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I was expecting jellyfish.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#11  Edited By kalmis
@gpbmike said:

" @Forcen: Yeah, maybe we'll do one when it's released. 

@kalmis: Yeah, it's a bummer they didn't do more with the graphics or something. "

Just checked the remakes on Matrix Games site. Bit bizarre to release game in 2010 like the last Close Combat that still runs on same hardware (400MHz!!). And still charge a full price.
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Soldiers: Heroes of WWII was a really awesome squad-based WWII strategy game from way back that no one played. It let you literally control each dude, so I ended up playing parts of it like a WWII isometric shooter, but there was a really nice balance of strategy, fully destructible environments (Anti-tank grenades do wonders to dutch houses) and intense actiony stuff. Never seen anything like it since, but the screens you're showing really reminded me of it for some reason. 

EDIT: no wonder. I just looked at the men of war page, it's made by the same dudes. 

WhiskeyMcGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By WhiskeyMcGhee

Don't worry, Men of War has strategy.

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gpbmike
@ShadowConqueror: 
No Caption Provided

@kalmis: Matrix games just churns those suckers out. Look how many games they have on their site. Every month is something. 

@MarkWahlberg: I've played most of them so far. They're getting better. You should try the beta. 

@WhiskeyMcGhee: As far as I can tell, it doesn't have the high level strategy that the close combat games offered; a larger world or region map to move armies and supplies around.