snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By snide

Hey guys -

I'm currently fooling around with some homepage ideas for GB. If you have a moment, lemme know what you'd like to see on it. What would make you check that one page every hour, or every day? What would make you want to check it on Sunday when we don't necessarily have a lot of content up.

I'd like peeps to think about it outside of what's happening on giant bomb. What would make it your top gaming homepage in general. Assume we had unlimited resources to build it.
thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By thebeast

For it to be something I'd check every hour/day it would have to offer something along the lines of Google Reader for gaming, so:

• Games out today/this week for my chosen platforms.
  • Latest reviews from around the web.
  • Latest game trailers.
  • News tidbits that I can flick through (My Google Reader games section lists 20+ gaming sites and blogs, Kotaku, Joystiq, Eurogamer, etc.)
  • Latest Forum Posts/Blog Posts (a la www.neowin.net).
  • User submitted news?

I think for the majority of people, the main thing that keeps them coming back to a site to check on it is community features - to see if their forum post/blog has been replied to, to see what new comments their friends have posted etc. - Twitter & Facebook prove this quite nicely - so anything that gets user comments and content out to the front would be great to have.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Karmum

I was going to promote my own idea about a tracked secion being added to the top, but that is actually a stupid thing to do. But I would like to see more community-based features on the homepage, perhaps links to some of the top blogs? (which could be rated on by the staff and/or user base).

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By BiggerBomb

I would like it to look more professional. I know that is an incredibly vague statement, but hopefully you "know what I mean." I'd like to see something with a little more shine, something a little more modern, something...awesome. Get on it, fella's!

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sushbag
snide said:
"Hey guys -
What would make you check that one page every hour, or every day? What would make you want to check it on Sunday when we don't necessarily have a lot of content up."
What would make me check the page a lot? Lots and lots of news updates, but with the ol' GB twist of humor. Basically Kotaku, but w/ Jeff Gerstmann and company instead of those people.

On Sunday when there's no content? Nothing, I would be going straight to the forums.
Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Icil

Some things:

-A webcam feed (lol)
-Rotating the 'top story' banner between 3-5 stories
-New releases calendar would be nice
-Some videos and trailers don't get a blog post, so I don't see them until I click on the 'Videos' section. Is there a way to show some of them?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By OmegaPirate

Maybe  lin into the user held "Tournaments" that get put up quite regularly - when creating a tournament the user doing it should be able to forward the details top one of the site staff members, and just have like a small box on the front page , a calender or something showing all the gaming goings on on Giantbomb at that particular time - or a results page as such.

I already check GB every day multiple times for game info and news, so the only real 'improvement' i can really think of woud be to make it easier for us Bombers to arrange, play and view the results?
Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Gameboi

The only way you are going to get a large amount of people to check it several times a day (outside of the small, core group here) is to add gaming news on the fly, and exponentially increase the number of reviews and editorials for the site. In essence, to offer what "the other guys" offer, and to do it better (while making enough money to stay afloat in the process).

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By albedos_shadow

A community events calendar would be nice, for Bombing Runs and tournaments. Definitely top blogs and popular threads, too.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By serbsta

I would like to see more:

- User related content on the homepage.
- News displayed which rotated on the top banner.

Basically MORE news, i think its nice the way it is though.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I like user customizable homepages on sites. Something along the lines of igoogle or bbc.co.uk, but with the focus being on sections of the GB site. And the abilty to change the size of sections too, so you're not stuck with that 3 columns design like on igoogle. And possibly the ability to add RSS feeds from other sites too. That would be cool. I would imagine different people visit giant bomb for different things, so let them put what they want on their homepage. You could have sections for trivia, forums (both latest and your own forum posts), news, video's, reviews, bombcast, guides, new releases, the top pages, and all sorts of stuff from profile pages, all arangable how the individual user wants.

I understand all of this might be on the verge of impossibility, and probably won't ever happen, but that would be my ideal homepage, something I could add what I want too, and arrange how I want. Failing that, any sort of addition of community features to the homepage would be a step forward. The community is the main reason I visit the site, and I would love to see community stuff on the homepage. Maybe staff picks of community stuff (blogs, forum posts etc.) would be appropriate.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Coltonio7

-Community Spotlight Thingy

-The ability to reskin it to your liking

-A big-ass picture of a random game/company/developer

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BoG

I check Kotaku a few times every day. That's about all I can really say.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14  Edited By Lies
  • featured blogs/newest blogs area (user blogs)
  • more content obviously would make me visit more, but that's more the editors than the design
  • video playable directly from the homepage without having to load over to the videos section
  • Some sort of community header/text containing countdowns or info about upcoming Bombing Runs or tournaments, giveaways, or whatever

All I can think of right now. The obvious thing to drive more hits is an increase in content, but again, that's not really in your hands :|
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

More VIDEO reviews.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By BawlZINmotion

Something similar to Gametab's RSS news/reviews feed to compliment the stories the GB crew post, integrated with a Gamespot styled tracking system. Basically I'd like to see a feature that allowed me to add X number of games to a tracking list that would update daily with information specific to all titles on that list from around the web. In other words, I'd like to have my daily gaming dose handed to me by GB.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Endogene
OmegaPirate said:
"Maybe  lin into the user held "Tournaments" that get put up quite regularly - when creating a tournament the user doing it should be able to forward the details top one of the site staff members, and just have like a small box on the front page , a calender or something showing all the gaming goings on on Giantbomb at that particular time - or a results page as such.
I already check GB every day multiple times for game info and news, so the only real 'improvement' i can really think of woud be to make it easier for us Bombers to arrange, play and view the results?
"
That would make things so incredibly easier.
tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By tokyochicken
albedos_shadow said:
"A community events calendar would be nice, for Bombing Runs and tournaments. Definitely top blogs and popular threads, too."
Something like this although I understand how hard that can be since we have so many bombing runs out a week (3 this weekend woo!). But maybe a community tab or something like a community forumn where people can post anything community focussed like the many tournaments we have or game nights or the irc etc...  Just really a page where any one new or old can go to check it on Game nights and Tournaments with an easier acessability, we try to do something like that with the Community thread but it's hard to organize all of that kind of stuff in one forumn post. Also something like Lies had said. It would be cool to have a small tab in the side showing the most recent user blogs that aren't on our friends list on the front page or on our user page.
Shinryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shinryu
  • More Video Reviews
  • Giant Bomb Community Tournaments
  • Release Schedule for your region this week (US/UK etc.)
  • A user-hub showing information pertaining to you such as messages etc.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Endogene

Oh and a little Luchadeer drawing that says a different quote from the staff every time you press him.
No it has no use.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Hamz
  • List of games released this week / month for all platforms.
  • Reviews, Previews, Interviews and News on the industry from across the web getting centre stage on the homepage is a must. Thats the big draw to any website, not just gaming ones, and what keeps users returning to a homepage to see whats been updated.
  • Podcast and Videos / trailers getting some more of the limelight aswell. Like the above this sort of stuff is some, if not the most, important aspect of a gaming website. Its what defines the website itself as a podcast is really very personal and what keeps people coming back for more each week.
  • Links to Staff and Moderator profile pages so its easier to figure out who to contact with whatever problem or question. Nothing worse than having to make a topic on the forums or randomly search through them to find out who to contact with a question or problem. Would be more simple to hit the homepage and find the list from there.
  • Site update information needs to be on the homepage aswell. If something happens on the site such as a bug fix or a new feature being added then it should be made as easy to find out information on as possible. Not everyone looks on a sites forums for updates to the site itself, so it would be great to see that information on the homepage when it occurs.
  • Keep information up to date, as in if something just happened or was announced, try and get it up on the front page ASAP. We don't want to see the latest news story is a few days old, we want to see its a few minutes old!
  • Community Spotlight section listing the most popular Forum or Blog topic on the site. This would be a nice addition I think in keeping the community constantly striving to perfect their blogging and posting habits for the hope of being popped onto the homepage.

For the most part I like a gaming website to have a clean and tidy homepage. Too much information on the homepage and it becomes cluttered, clogged up and somewhat overwhelming to browse. Also do not fall into the "we must have a rotating flash box of all the recent information and updates" thing a lot of sites seem to be going for. Its not only unattractive but also insanely annoying.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By brukaoru

Definitely would like to see a community spotlight feature, which has already been stated by several people. Perhaps a "user of the day/week/month" or something to highlight users that contribute to the community.

Also, pretty much everything that Hamz said! +1

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By snide

Guys this is very helpful. Please keep giving us your ideas.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OmegaPirate

Also, i know those weekly 'bomb drops' may take a while to do - but if one of those was knocked up weekly, and left on the front page as a 'highlights of last week' kinda thing, if i went away for a few days, i would be ab le to return and see all the improtant reviews/vids/community stuff i had missed - all in one location 

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Player1

More videos would be a great addition. More shoutouts to the users. For example that thing where you show some recent reviews, I love that.

Also like people have said maybe a top 5 blog section?

Or a user soapbox section? cough sweep cough

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By kush

I may just be rehashing what's already been said, but...

• A list of games coming out on that day/week/month etc.
  • Featured user reviews on games that the staff won't review themselves (picked by the staff or users).
  • Having a section for trivia questions.
  • Besides the user reviews...A section devoted to popular blogs, threads, and other similar things.
  • It would also be nice to see a little panel with the staff and their profile pics/status.

...I'm sure there's more, but this is what I've got so far. It's also difficult to think while recording a podcast. :P
mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mattbodega

I think that having featured community blogs/forum posts on the front page would be a HUGE boost to the community side of the site. Seeing blogs pimped on the front page gives blog writers the motivation they need to keep writing cool blogs and forum posts. Anything we can do to build a strong community of blog writers and blog comment writers is going to keep this community growing and prospering.

Maybe a Wikipedia-styled random wiki page button could direct users to some random concept/game/franchise/character/console page? That might be a fun way to just see all the community content, and learn something along the way!

Also, more advertising! Anything you can do so we can be sure that the money is rolling in!

And more Luchadeer! That's a MUST, especially so people know the character when it comes time to make Giant Bomb Merch dolls. I'll be buying the Bomb, the Luchadeer, and the Ryan dolls!

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By RHCPfan24

Like Karmum says, more community features, or just this:

Kush said:
  • Besides the user reviews...A section devoted to popular blogs, threads, and other similar things.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BoG
Kush said:
"I may just be rehashing what's already been said, but...
  • A list of games coming out on that day/week/month etc.
  • Featured user reviews on games that the staff won't review themselves (picked by the staff or users).
  • Having a section for trivia questions.
  • It would also be nice to see a little panel with the staff and their profile pics/status.

...I'm sure there's more, but this is what I've got so far. It's also difficult to think while recording a podcast. :P"
Totally agree with all of these ideas. Featured user things would be awesome! 
Other ideas I have -
  • A 'Game of the Day,' and that featured game will reward any edits made with 1.5x the normal points. could have chracter, concept, etc. of the day as well, and possibly do one for each every day.
  • return of the Friday Bomb Drop
  • a tab for popular forum topics
  • a tab for comunity events, like the tournements and bombing runs
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kush

It may be nice to have a "Featured User" each day as well. Highlight one specific user who may have contributed a great guide/blog/wiki-edits the previous day. I think giving recognition to the community will definitely keep people interested in the homepage. Also maybe show the "Question of the Day" on the homepage as well, maybe a daily/weekly poll to keep people coming back to check the results etc.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kush

A shameful bump to try and get some more ideas...and I also have another horrible idea (that is pretty much only cool to me). That whole "Don't Press the Red Button" thing...I just think it would be funny/cool/stupid to have a "Don't Touch the Giant Bomb" thingermajig somehow implemented on the homepage.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Endogene
BoG said:
  • A 'Game of the Day,' and that featured game will reward any edits made with 1.5x the normal points. could have chracter, concept, etc. of the day as well, and possibly do one for each every day.

Not to sure about that one, i am afraid that multiple users will start editing it at the same time and that we will have to deny all except one of the submissions since they will probably all say the same. If the game shown would be a different one for every user then it would be fine though.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Karmum
snide said:
"Guys this is very helpful. Please keep giving us your ideas."
If you insist:

Karmum said from his topic nearly a week ago:
"I'm not going to lie -- I made this post about 5 minutes ago in the Suggestions Topic. But I think this can be a really nifty idea. Here is how it works, you track a game and when new articles are posted up, you get a number to indicate how much new articles are up. Click the link and you are brought to your tracked games page and you can pick what article you want to read. Don't get it? Let the pictures talk for me. Very crude, and there are many mistakes. Sorry!

Page showing you the new articles (not in this case)
Page showing you the new articles (not in this case)
Page indicating where the
Page indicating where the "Tracked Games" would be.
"

I mean, it involves the homepage. This can also pertain to people, game developers, etc. Or for instance, if you tag a game, you can also be asked if you want to tag the developer, console, etc.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think a web cam feed of the office or what games they are currently playing would be awesome, some reviews compared to there recently reviews games, maybe some more shine to the design like what bigger bomb said, I would love to see someone review old school games on a weekly basis for a special.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#35  Edited By LordAndrew
Endogene said:
"BoG said:

Not to sure about that one, i am afraid that multiple users will start editing it at the same time and that we will have to deny all except one of the submissions since they will probably all say the same. If the game shown would be a different one for every user then it would be fine though."
Yeah, that seems like it could get out of hand with sub-1000-point users submitting. And even if it was just people with live edit ability, there's still a chance that someone could end up overwriting another person's edits that were submitted before them.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LordAndrew said:
"Endogene said:
"BoG said:

Not to sure about that one, i am afraid that multiple users will start editing it at the same time and that we will have to deny all except one of the submissions since they will probably all say the same. If the game shown would be a different one for every user then it would be fine though."
Yeah, that seems like it could get out of hand with sub-1000-point users submitting. And even if it was just people with live edit ability, there's still a chance that someone could end up overwriting another person's edits that were submitted before them."
Well instead of game of the day make it, Games of the day, have about 10-20 games picked and let users get 1.5 point bonus towards editing, or something along those lines, I don`t edit much, I`m a forum dweller so maybe this is a bad idea :P
Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

On our profile pages right?

If so:

• The ablility to spotlight one of your lists, so it's easily viewable on the profile page, wish some sort of scrolling option, like you can do with the images.
  • A place to fill in various User ID's for different platforms, (Gamertag, PSN ID, Steam name, etc.).
  • Game releases of the day, again with the image scrolling thing.
JoblessTerence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JoblessTerence

I didn't read any other suggestions so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned:

• Have the RSS feed a lot more organized
  • Have a more iPhone friendly version of the site available
  • End of the week video podcast which summarizes the week's news.

Now I know that the last one is EXTREMELY demanding, expensive, and probably never going to happen but Hey!, I'm just throwing it out there.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By AndrewGaspar
TheBeast said:
"
  • News tidbits that I can flick through (My Google Reader games section lists 20+ gaming sites and blogs, Kotaku, Joystiq, Eurogamer, etc.)
"
I was thinking of saying that, but I'd rather just use Google Reader in that case. =P
Mevvem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mevvem

It would be coloured a black, and dark gray, have plenty of fun trivia, user content, active forums, and a smiling bomb at the top left corner. ^^

Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Stealthoneill
  • A Tournament page would be awesome. What better way to bond with a community than to fight hordes of Zombies or Locust?!

• A place where people can easily see new releases and reviews. (Staff and User) Sometimes I come on thinking of a new game I wanna get but it becomes a pain searching for indivual games. And the release calender isnt the easiest place to get too.

• Star ratings. Alot of people dont want to sit around writing long reviews for people to read. Perhaps a feature where users can go to a game page and rate that game with a star rating, without writing a review. Then have pages with top rated games and users could have there profile home page with a section to there own personal favourites.

• Something to make the wishlists a little more useable/useful. Dont see many people adding things to these areas in there profile. Maybe something can be built that suggests games for the user going on the type of games that they have put in there wishlist

Just a few things I thought of on the spot..
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By jakob187

My ideal gaming home page?

Tits.  Amazing tits.

Anyways, in all seriousness, a slick layout is all I want to ever see.  I'm so sick of the typical thing:  news on the right hand side, features on the left side, recent reviews on the bottom with news articles and previews....man, it all just looks the fucking same, Snide.  It drives me fucking nuts!!!

Mix it up, dood.  Put the action bar that's on the top down the right hand side.  Put the news on the left hand side.  Put some more user content on there, like "recent achievement guides added" and "recently updated Wiki pages".  The podcast isn't presented in a big way on the front page, so make people notice that.  It's a great feature of the site, so it deserves a little more attention.  Video stuff on the left, definitely, stacked like it is now but near the top.  People like to watch videos of shit, right?  Features in the dead center.

Hell, what the fuck do I know?  I think you've got this under control, so what the fuck do any of us know?  We're not the ones making the money.  However, it's kick ass that you want some suggestions from the community.  That's the horribly sloppy stuff I can think of.  I'm sure you can find some way to clean it up.

And hey, you know what?  We need to get a couple of people to guarantee doing Bombing Runs on a weekly basis, and you could feature THOSE on the front page!!!  WOOTZOR!!!