Final Fantasy XIII - The second two hours vs The Uncanny Valley.

smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Edited By smokemare

Well, I had the luxury of playing for two hours last night.  My 3 year old being off and grandparents, my wife considering FFXIII to be slightly less violent than Left 4 Dead, coupled with the fact that apart from boss battles and cut-scenes - I can idly chat while playing.... Meant I got a good two hours.

I'm now at the Spires of Despair or whatever it's called, finished Lake Bresha - have things improved?  In a word - YES!  I am starting to warm to the game.  The introduction of the Paradigm shifts and 'techniques' has livened up combat a little - even though in reality it seems you can win most fights in the defensive paradigm and the relentless attack is just there to speed things up if you get bored.  I at least feel like I'm able to influence the outcome more than just hit attack - use a potion, rinse and repeat.  I even did the first summoning battle with the Shiva Sisters - which was sort of itneresting and a different approach again so...

The disconcerting fact is I still have absolutely no bloody idea what the blazes is going on.  The plot makes less sense that volunteering to have my testicles nailed to table and it's probably more painful to try and understand at this stage than having your testicles nailed to a table.... Although I can't say I have a personal experience as a comparitor... I'm getting that the writers are going for a sort of 'who dunnit' approach, where part of the objective of playing the game is figuring out WTF is going on.  At the moment I'm still deeply in the WTF stage, but I'm at least interested in knowing how all this wierd crap fits together enough to play on now.

Despite my criticisms though, I recognise FFXIII as a technical marvel and a very clever game.  I'm beginning to think the combat system might end up being ridiculously compliocated by the end and that's the reason everything is so slowly spoon-fed to the player, just to make sure they get it.  I've been gaming for 30 years so it seems to slow to me, but I guess a player who picked up FFXIII for their first game might appreciate the slow learning.  The visuals are awe inspiring at times too, and although I actually loathe all the characters, finding each one irritating, unrealistic, over-stereotypical or all three - visually they are very cleverly designed.  Particularly in that i don't get the feeling of being taken into the uncanny valley, yet the avatars are very realistic, and have some human qualities to them.  The high definition and realistic proportions (For an FF game at least.) combined with subtle movements - like characters blinking, their hair flapping in the breeze... They can be a joy to behold at times, even if you have no idea what's going on in their heads as the story is so baffling and you hate them because they are so irritating. 

What I don't get is why they don't take you into the uncanny valley.  Characters as realistic as these, I would think WOULD!  I can only imagine that a long time was spent trying to make them as real as possible, then as much time toning them down to get the balance perfect so that they steer clear of the uncanny valley.  The other possibility is that the world is so alien and baffling that this keeps your mind off it.  I do wonder if technology is part of the solution - if FFXIII had been released ten years ago - would it have caused the uncanny valley effect?  If you watch classic examples like the panned Polar Express film by Disney, then I don't know... I still find that a little uncomfortable, whereas I  had no such feeling from FFXIII.  

Now anyone who hasn't an interest in media psychology might be thinking 'WTF is this guy on about?  What is the uncanny valley?' Well, you can wiki it for a simple explanation.  The basics are that as artificial life be it robotic, or computer sprites - anything like that becomes more human-like we tend to feel happier with it.  We like things that mimic human behaviour and seem human.  The interesting thing is this - that it only works up to a point, then the level of realism dips a character or robot into what is known as 'The Uncanny Valley' where how comfortable people feel with characters plummets.  Even a carefully filmed video of a human that is altered so they move slightly robotically - causes this effect.  I can only describe it as how you might feel watching something hideously deformed close-up.

Is it a barrier to developing character graphics to their full potential?  It's cited as causing the flop of Disney's Polar Express.... I used to think so!  But playing FFXIII I don't know... It'll be interesting to see where Video Game industry created characters are in ten years time, and whether the uncanny valley has been bridged.

smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By smokemare

Well, I had the luxury of playing for two hours last night.  My 3 year old being off and grandparents, my wife considering FFXIII to be slightly less violent than Left 4 Dead, coupled with the fact that apart from boss battles and cut-scenes - I can idly chat while playing.... Meant I got a good two hours.

I'm now at the Spires of Despair or whatever it's called, finished Lake Bresha - have things improved?  In a word - YES!  I am starting to warm to the game.  The introduction of the Paradigm shifts and 'techniques' has livened up combat a little - even though in reality it seems you can win most fights in the defensive paradigm and the relentless attack is just there to speed things up if you get bored.  I at least feel like I'm able to influence the outcome more than just hit attack - use a potion, rinse and repeat.  I even did the first summoning battle with the Shiva Sisters - which was sort of itneresting and a different approach again so...

The disconcerting fact is I still have absolutely no bloody idea what the blazes is going on.  The plot makes less sense that volunteering to have my testicles nailed to table and it's probably more painful to try and understand at this stage than having your testicles nailed to a table.... Although I can't say I have a personal experience as a comparitor... I'm getting that the writers are going for a sort of 'who dunnit' approach, where part of the objective of playing the game is figuring out WTF is going on.  At the moment I'm still deeply in the WTF stage, but I'm at least interested in knowing how all this wierd crap fits together enough to play on now.

Despite my criticisms though, I recognise FFXIII as a technical marvel and a very clever game.  I'm beginning to think the combat system might end up being ridiculously compliocated by the end and that's the reason everything is so slowly spoon-fed to the player, just to make sure they get it.  I've been gaming for 30 years so it seems to slow to me, but I guess a player who picked up FFXIII for their first game might appreciate the slow learning.  The visuals are awe inspiring at times too, and although I actually loathe all the characters, finding each one irritating, unrealistic, over-stereotypical or all three - visually they are very cleverly designed.  Particularly in that i don't get the feeling of being taken into the uncanny valley, yet the avatars are very realistic, and have some human qualities to them.  The high definition and realistic proportions (For an FF game at least.) combined with subtle movements - like characters blinking, their hair flapping in the breeze... They can be a joy to behold at times, even if you have no idea what's going on in their heads as the story is so baffling and you hate them because they are so irritating. 

What I don't get is why they don't take you into the uncanny valley.  Characters as realistic as these, I would think WOULD!  I can only imagine that a long time was spent trying to make them as real as possible, then as much time toning them down to get the balance perfect so that they steer clear of the uncanny valley.  The other possibility is that the world is so alien and baffling that this keeps your mind off it.  I do wonder if technology is part of the solution - if FFXIII had been released ten years ago - would it have caused the uncanny valley effect?  If you watch classic examples like the panned Polar Express film by Disney, then I don't know... I still find that a little uncomfortable, whereas I  had no such feeling from FFXIII.  

Now anyone who hasn't an interest in media psychology might be thinking 'WTF is this guy on about?  What is the uncanny valley?' Well, you can wiki it for a simple explanation.  The basics are that as artificial life be it robotic, or computer sprites - anything like that becomes more human-like we tend to feel happier with it.  We like things that mimic human behaviour and seem human.  The interesting thing is this - that it only works up to a point, then the level of realism dips a character or robot into what is known as 'The Uncanny Valley' where how comfortable people feel with characters plummets.  Even a carefully filmed video of a human that is altered so they move slightly robotically - causes this effect.  I can only describe it as how you might feel watching something hideously deformed close-up.

Is it a barrier to developing character graphics to their full potential?  It's cited as causing the flop of Disney's Polar Express.... I used to think so!  But playing FFXIII I don't know... It'll be interesting to see where Video Game industry created characters are in ten years time, and whether the uncanny valley has been bridged.

Godot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Godot

The thing about The Polar Express is that it was the dead-looking, barely moving eyes that helped plunge the characters down into the uncanny valley. It's one of those invisible things that doesn't get noticed when it's correct, but when it's done wrong it's incredibly noticeable.

I'd like to think Square learned a lot about avoiding the uncanny valley when they made Final Fantasy: Spirits Within; like The Polar Express, people also put the poor box office performance down to the unnaturalness of the characters.

moomoomashoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By moomoomashoo
@smokemare said:
" I'm beginning to think the combat system might end up being ridiculously compliocated by the end and that's the reason everything is so slowly spoon-fed to the player, just to make sure they get it.  I've been gaming for 30 years so it seems to slow to me, but I guess a player who picked up FFXIII for their first game might appreciate the slow learning. "
Yes, that's pretty much it. Although I would never go as far to say it's "ridiculously" complicated, it is indeed a new and different style of gameplay from any other FF (and really, from most other games). Even at the end of the game, it's more about strategically setting up your party and changing paradigms than actually choosing abilities. Most of the time you still end up using Auto-battle, but it starts to make far more sense near the end, simply because sometimes you don't even have time to start picking specific abilities, and the game is actually good at picking the right ones anyway.

As for the characters and story... Well, that's usually the thing that turns people on or off about JRPGs. And honestly, FFXIII is not one of the best in that regard. Some of the stuff is very cliched or played out. Though I have to say I ended up feeling far more fond of most of the characters by the end of the game than when I started. The overall story though, like it or love it, DOES start making more sense as you go. Like I said in your initial blog post, it seems like they made it purposely confusing to start with, then drip feed you exactly why certain things happened the way they did. That is, right up until the hilariously baffling ending that I still can't comprehend. But I suppose you'll have to get to that!

I suppose the real thing to say again is that it is a VERY SLOW game. Despite the battles looking flashy and fast-paced, and even though for most of it you are indeed running in basically a straight line, it's quite methodical in it's pacing. But by the end, you do realise you needed it to be that slow. I showed my friend some post-game play when she was on about chapter 6 and she had no idea what the hell was going on. Both story-wise and gameplay.

As for your points about Uncanny Valley, I think every game company purposely tries to avoid it as much as they can. This is why even though some games clearly star humans, if you actually met someone who looked like Marcus Fenix for example, you'd think he was freaky as hell. It's a design choice purposely to avoid that weird feeling. I'm sure even games like Heavy Rain, if you compare the actor and character, there are subtle differences simply to avoid it. Until we can get literal movie-realism from our games, I don't think we'll ever have games that don't slightly alter a traditional human to avoid the Valley.

I do hope you don't decide to give up in FFXIII though. Keep at it! You might end up hating it... I can see why some might, but it seems you're having similar views on it as me so far, so you should love it :D
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Don't worry, for the game opens up as it goes on. You'll find out what l'Cie and fal'Cie are.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Demyx

Sazh is a fantastic character. The others are w/e. I like the game enough.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By kerse
@Demyx said:
" Sazh is a fantastic character. The others are w/e. I like the game enough. "
Sazh is the best.
smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By smokemare
@kerse: Thats the dude with the little bird living in his hair right?!  I don't know whether FFXIII really bridges the uncanny valley, in some respects I don't see why it has to.  I became very fond of the little boy in Limbo, and felt very sad at the ending - yet he never says a word and you never see more than a simple silhouette of him.  I thought Red Dead Redemption struck a nice balance between realism, human traits and the uncanny valley.  I suppose one way to combat it while striving for detailed, realistic characters is to make characters 'larger than life' like Marcus Fenix and maybe to a lesser degree Lightning and Sazh?
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Glad to hear somebody else is playing it. This is yet another
game on my damn back log.