• 102 results
Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Well, we had a good run. Now go buy the magazine!

Here's a brief overview of the text.

Soap is in the game as a "grizzled vet" NPC.

Single player enemies will have "customized" weapons similar to the multiplayer component of COD4.

The ice mission shown to GI demonstrated the game's open-ended approach to combat, showing how stealth can be implemented if the player chooses.

While the gameplay is open-ended, the story is "on-rails".

Infinity Ward realizes that the "invisible line" where enemies will stop coming in COD4 wasn't great, so they're trying hard to eliminate that. Also, they are lengthening the single player past the 6-10 hour mark of COD4.

"Special Forces Mode" is a major part of MW2, a series of missions in the spirit of the Mile High Club from COD4. It will also have co-op in this mode. Gears-style bleed-out-and-partner-revive will be used.

Co-op apparently won't exist in Story Mode.

Riot shields will be implemented in the game.

Zakhaev's former associate, Makarov, is the "new face of global terrorism."

Snowmobiles are used as a form of escape in the demonstration. Unclear whether or not the player will drive, shoot, or both.

Players will alternate using the two triggers to climb ice-walls.

Movable turrets will be used in SF mode and Single Player, no official word on online use.

IW wants to implement an accomplishment system to online, as they want to make their players famous.

Online mode will use a "Live-Patching" system, where IW can manipulate spawn logic or certain parts of a multiplayer map without doing a full-blown patch.

Another demoed area shows an enormous desert setting where Task Force 141 drops into a wasteland and must navigate a "lengthy trek" to a fully-rendered valley with scattered caves, reminiscent of Iron Man.

IW is focusing on details for the COD4 sequel, citing iced-up tire treads in the Russian level.

The game will run in 60fps (duh).

[LINKS TO SCANS REMOVED]

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By The_Dude

Nice, wish I could read the text.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Giantsquirrel
@The_Dude: 

Sorry about that, I originally uploaded them at 600dpi and they got resized pretty badly. I'm trying again.
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Steve_C

Yeah, it's a little shame about the resolution, but thanks a lot man. I haven't been able to find these anywhere else on the internet.

In the mean time i can still have a nose at all the images. Seems interesting from what i can see so far. At least with the british side, you're playing alongside soap from COD4.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jeffsekai

Thats awsome, thanks!

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Giantsquirrel
Here's a brief overview of the text, until I can get a higher-res gallery out.

Soap is in the game as a "grizzled vet" NPC.

Single player enemies will have "customized" weapons similar to the multiplayer component of COD4.

The ice mission shown to GI demonstrated the game's open-ended approach to combat, showing how stealth can be implemented if the player chooses.

While the gameplay is open-ended, the story is "on-rails".

Infinity Ward realizes that the "invisible line" where enemies will stop coming in COD4 wasn't great, so they're trying hard to eliminate that. Also, they are lengthening the single player past the 6-10 hour mark of COD4.

"Special Forces Mode" is a major part of MW2, a series of missions in the spirit of the Mile High Club from COD4. It will also have co-op in this mode. Gears-style bleed-out-and-partner-revive will be used.

Co-op apparently won't exist in Story Mode.

Riot shields will be implemented in the game.

Zakhaev's former associate, Makarov, is the "new face of global terrorism."

Snowmobiles are used as a form of escape in the demonstration. Unclear whether or not the player will drive, shoot, or both.

Players will alternate using the two triggers to climb ice-walls.

Movable turrets will be used in SF mode and Single Player, no official word on online use.

IW wants to implement an accomplishment system to online, as they want to make their players famous.

Online mode will use a "Live-Patching" system, where IW can manipulate spawn logic or certain parts of a multiplayer map without doing a full-blown patch.

Another demoed area shows an enormous desert setting where Task Force 141 drops into a wasteland and must navigate a "lengthy trek" to a fully-rendered valley with scattered caves, reminiscent of Iron Man.

IW is focusing on details for the COD4 sequel, citing iced-up tire treads in the Russian level.

The game will run in 60fps (duh).

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Giantsquirrel

BTW, anyone know how I can get full-res jpgs onto Imageshack or something similar? I'm struggling.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
Giantsquirrel said:
"BTW, anyone know how I can get full-res jpgs onto Imageshack or something similar? I'm struggling."
Try imgur or Tinypic.
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Steve_C

Oh nice. Thanks for the write-up. Game sounds hot, as expected really. Good luck with the images.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cheapoz

Happy to hear about the live patching, which they promised for COD4.'

Hope that extra campaign length doesn't feel artificially stretched out.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

I assume open ended gameplay just means there's no more enemy respawning but instead proper AI, so you can approach any mission as you see fit, be it stealthy or all guns blazing. Not open ended as in, choose your own missions, play with factions relations, etc, yeah? The former is what I hoped for (and people were all like LOLZ it's COD dood, it won't have that, keep dreaming) but the latter would be a little silly...

Riot shields are awesome, loved them since I first saw them used in MGS 2 :P

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Giantsquirrel
@Al3xand3r: 

Apparently only the player's decisions as to how to approach a situation is "open-ended", not the level design or story. Think MGS4's stealth-or-combat option, but obviously less stealth.
lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By lamegame621

Oh, wow. Thanks, you are awesome :D

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

Sweet then, exactly what I wanted. It should make it much more replayable than COD4. I do hope stealth can be emphasised more than people expect from a COD game though, if you so choose. But hey. whatever, even a little bit of it is much more than in other COD games.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Too bad about the no co-op Story Mode, but I guess I'll live. Customizable weapons for the Story Mode sounds cool though.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#16  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The Special Forces Co-Op sounds pretty awesome, and if they can pull off  "open ended" gameplay (which is something Far Cry 2 tried to do but failed miserably at) it will be badass.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r

You misunderstood what they meant by open ended gameplay, Giant has already explained. They just meant it's not 100% scripted as in COD4. telling you when to rush when to snipe etc, you can now approach situations as you see fit, it has nothing to do with roaming a huge world.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Bump, first 5 pages resized.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By hexogen

I think I might love you.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By dsplayer1010

I need to finish the first one still

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TwoOneFive
is this from ptom or what?

the lighting looks like its been improved a lot actually.
Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By pirate_republic

Nice, thanks for this.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TwoOneFive

nobody gives a shit about the campaign, if this big article will be worth anything, its any details about the MP that is has. i mean, sure the SP will kick ass, and thats really all we need to know right? Everyone and their mom knows the real reason this game sold so well is because of the multiplayer. 

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Giantsquirrel
@TwoOneFive: 
It doesn't say much of anything about the online, and I already mentioned what it did say.

I bought COD4 for the single player, I think the sniper mission really sold it to people.
hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By hexogen
TwoOneFive said:
"nobody gives a shit about the campaign"
I do.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By meteora
Hexogen said:
"TwoOneFive said:
I do."
Seconded.

I mean shit no first person shooter has ever made me been so immersed even if the story wasn't a masterpiece.
Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gambit
TwoOneFive said:
"nobody gives a shit about the campaign, if this big article will be worth anything, its any details about the MP that is has. i mean, sure the SP will kick ass, and thats really all we need to know right? Everyone and their mom knows the real reason this game sold so well is because of the multiplayer. "
I for one give a shit about the campaign I enjoy COD4's single player alot. I really didn't play that much online.
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cheapoz
Meteora said:
"Hexogen said:
"TwoOneFive said:
I do."
Seconded.I mean shit no first person shooter has ever made me been so immersed even if the story wasn't a masterpiece."
Thirded. Played it through several times and loved the crap out of it.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Al3xand3r

Eh, COD is known for both SP and MP, COD4 was hailed as one of the greatest and most cinematic single player FPS experiences (if short), what are you on about who cares of it >_>

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
Cheapoz said:
"Meteora said:
"Hexogen said:
"TwoOneFive said:
I do."
Seconded.I mean shit no first person shooter has ever made me been so immersed even if the story wasn't a masterpiece."
Thirded. Played it through several times and loved the crap out of it.
"
Yeah, what the hell are you talking about twoonefive? I played through the story mode a good number of times, as well as with my friends (we took turns).

Sure the multiplayer was great, but the story is what made me buy the game in the first place, as I'm sure for many others as well.
mussbus999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mussbus999

Sounds so raw, can't wait

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Alexander

Giantsquirrel you are amazing

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By get2sammyb

This was just put up on Joystiq.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#34  Edited By ArbitraryWater
Al3xand3r said:
"You misunderstood what they meant by open ended gameplay, Giant has already explained. They just meant it's not 100% scripted as in COD4. telling you when to rush when to snipe etc, you can now approach situations as you see fit, it has nothing to do with roaming a huge world."
Nope. What I mean by open ended is that you can approach a scenario from a number of different ways, which is does not require an open world. Far Cry 2 tried really hard to accomplish that, but really just ended up looking stupid as a result.
Puffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Puffles
Giantsquirrel said:
...they are lengthening the single player past the 6-10 hour mark of COD4.
No, they're not.

Try reading that part of the article again; it says that they're sticking to their guns despite the criticism, and that the single player for MW2 will be pretty much the same length as the single player for CoD4.
joslop500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By joslop500

Now I'm really interested in the new "Special Forces Mode" which seems is going to allow co-op play. Wow, can't wait!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By penguindust
Giantsquirrel said:
Infinity Ward realizes that the "invisible line" where enemies will stop coming in COD4 wasn't great, so they're trying hard to eliminate that.
This is the best news ever as far as I am concerned for the single player.
jhosaphat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By jhosaphat

wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant

Chin35char

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Chin35char

Can't wait for the next 5 images!!

DarkSynopsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DarkSynopsis
Chin35char said:
"Can't wait for the next 5 images!!"
You and me both! :D
Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

Giantsquirrel said:
"Here's a brief overview of the text, until I can get a higher-res gallery out.
  Soap is in the game as a "grizzled vet" NPC.Single player enemies will have "customized" weapons similar to the multiplayer component of COD4.The ice mission shown to GI demonstrated the game's open-ended approach to combat, showing how stealth can be implemented if the player chooses. While the gameplay is open-ended, the story is "on-rails".Infinity Ward realizes that the "invisible line" where enemies will stop coming in COD4 wasn't great, so they're trying hard to eliminate that. Also, they are lengthening the single player past the 6-10 hour mark of COD4."Special Forces Mode" is a major part of MW2, a series of missions in the spirit of the Mile High Club from COD4. It will also have co-op in this mode. Gears-style bleed-out-and-partner-revive will be used.Co-op apparently won't exist in Story Mode.Riot shields will be implemented in the game.Zakhaev's former associate, Makarov, is the "new face of global terrorism."Snowmobiles are used as a form of escape in the demonstration. Unclear whether or not the player will drive, shoot, or both.Players will alternate using the two triggers to climb ice-walls.Movable turrets will be used in SF mode and Single Player, no official word on online use.IW wants to implement an accomplishment system to online, as they want to make their players famous.Online mode will use a "Live-Patching" system, where IW can manipulate spawn logic or certain parts of a multiplayer map without doing a full-blown patch.Another demoed area shows an enormous desert setting where Task Force 141 drops into a wasteland and must navigate a "lengthy trek" to a fully-rendered valley with scattered caves, reminiscent of Iron Man.IW is focusing on details for the COD4 sequel, citing iced-up tire treads in the Russian level.The game will run in 60fps (duh)."
consider this pre-ordered.
Soap_McTavish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Soap_McTavish

What Magazine was this from?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Soap_McTavish said:
"What Magazine was this from? "
Game Informer. It says in the bottom corner of the pages.
Soap_McTavish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Soap_McTavish

Is this copy of Game informer available in the UK anywhere?

if so what issue is it and where is it available ?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Nah GI is US only. Somewhere will probably import it to you, but it'll probably cost a fair bit. Why would you want to buy it though? GiantSquirrel has provided the scans so you don't really have to.

andyman5022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By andyman5022

awesome!! thanks!

EvolutionX0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EvolutionX0

im a bit dissapointed with the no co-op mode but i see that this game will be the game of the year.

i need more info eh eh and BETA

Thanks for posting them
Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

EvolutionX0 said:
"im a bit dissapointed with the no co-op mode but i see that this game will be the game of the year.
i need more info eh eh and BETA

Thanks for posting them
"
There's no co-op in the STORY mode, not the Special Forces mode or whatever.

Thanks for the post.  A lot of it sounds promising but a lot of it doesn't really make sense yet.  I'm very happy to hear about the customization in single player.  I hope they take a page from Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and let you have one upgradable character across all game modes.   Then add in the story mode, some co-op modes (maybe something like terrorist hunt, horde type defend modes) and then the multiplayer.   That's what I'm really hoping for.
Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Nice upload man, the quality is good enough to read.  Are you going to add the rest of the pages here?  I can't get Game Informer here in the UK and I'm trying to absorb every tiny bit of information.

This is definetely one of those pre-order the special edition games.  I honestly couldn't tell you if I'm more excited for the single player, spec ops missions or the multiplayer.  They'll all be gold.

BTW Giantsquirrel you made the front page of Joystiq (click the pic)

EDIT:  From what I read: 
  • There won't be customisation in the single player game, enemies will carry customised weapons.  I.e. have GLs and Scopes instead of just standard weapons.
  • They also suggest that there will be co-op mode in the special forces mode althought 2bh I could care either way about co-op
Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

btw the giantbomb guys have to be thrilled with the traffic.  And he's staggering the scan posts?  It's too good to be true.  This has to be Jeff or Ryan or someone behind a secret name.  :)