• 92 results
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Edited By FrankCanada97

Hello again fellow denizens of Giant Bomb! If you are reading this, you probably know what's coming because it's yet another instalment of....

Notable and Interesting Events from the History of the Giant Bomb Community

Previous instalments in this series include:
1. Persona 4 Endurance Run Ep. 50 Uproar
2. The Modelling Gig
3. ItalyCanadian9 Gets Exposed

It was June 21st, 2009 when one user's final blog post left a legacy, but will this legacy be one recognizing his major contributions, or one of a melodramatic farewell?

My name is Endogène,

I'm the 6th most important contributor to GiantBomb.com out of a total of 42985 members with a total of 57329 points that i got on 3523 different pages. I joined the site July 21, 2008, the day the site was launched. Including this final blog post i will have posted 3858 comments on the site. I am in the top 10 poster rank of both the "delete and combine" forum and the "editing and tools" forum. After I was chosen to become a moderator I moderated over 6000 submissions and posted  232 times in the "moderation hangout" placing 3rd on the top poster list. Today i turn my back to this all. 

His name isEndogène

A user of many qualities; knowledgeable, witty, inexplicably random at times.  Endogene was a Giant Bomb regular that undoubtedly had an immense passion for the site, most of his attention focused on the site's Wiki. He is not quite the 6th most important Wiki contributor this site has anymore, but he is still up there as one of the Wiki's main contributor at 12th place. Notable for his defence of NAKED CARTOON PUSSY, he laid the precedence for allowing all games in the eroge or H-game category in the site. But not only that, he was outspoken and strongly defended his views. It was a no-brainer that he became a Wiki-mod. Even in reviewing submissions, he scrutinized every user's contribution. Ensuring the info was original and accurate. Apparently this was all for nought as he came to a realization.

His name isEndogène   

He had concluded that the site's Wiki, the main feature of the site as advertised, was neglected by the founders and staff. Whilst responding to users' submissions, he had found that the reply button in the submission queue for mods was broken since launch. Devoting as much time as he did, he felt that with the giant influx of new content on site, including the ongoing Persona 4 Endurance Run and linking achievements to your profile, the staff have ignored the key component of the site. Witnessing many suggestions from users concerning improvement of the Wiki; experiencing and trying to rectify a Wiki issue; and seeing no response from the staff, he decided to tender his resignation. He sees this as an example of the staff ignoring the Giant Bomb community.

" Do the founders live in a tower so high above ground that they do only see clouds under them and not those below struggling? "

His name is Endogène 

Unfortunately, his final blog may be most remembered for his melodramatic style of including a detailed backstory, interspersed with exclamations of what his name is. In the unfortunate event that the reader forgot what his name was, Endogene would remind them. Pride and self-appraisal abounds as he listed what he thought had gone wrong with the site. His point would have undoubtedly been made clearer if the reader weren't confronted with the statement of Endogene's name after every paragraph. Of course, to end it all, he posts a symbolic poem. All before reminding everyone one last time with an exclamation that his name was Endogene.

" I didn't read any of that because its a fucking wall of text but one thing i do gather: his name is apparently endogene."

His name is Endogène

Considering how much the site has changed in nearly a year, would you think that Endogene would come back to the site in its current state? Do you agree with his assertions concerning the staff and Wiki? What would he make of all these new features notably; the Wiki Tasks and Quest System? How did you react to Endogene's departure and farewell? How would he be received if he were to return? All things considered, he was a hardworking contributor with nothing but love for this site. But people will remember one thing and one thing only...

His name was Endogène!
The blog can be found here.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By FrankCanada97

Hello again fellow denizens of Giant Bomb! If you are reading this, you probably know what's coming because it's yet another instalment of....

Notable and Interesting Events from the History of the Giant Bomb Community

Previous instalments in this series include:
1. Persona 4 Endurance Run Ep. 50 Uproar
2. The Modelling Gig
3. ItalyCanadian9 Gets Exposed

It was June 21st, 2009 when one user's final blog post left a legacy, but will this legacy be one recognizing his major contributions, or one of a melodramatic farewell?

My name is Endogène,

I'm the 6th most important contributor to GiantBomb.com out of a total of 42985 members with a total of 57329 points that i got on 3523 different pages. I joined the site July 21, 2008, the day the site was launched. Including this final blog post i will have posted 3858 comments on the site. I am in the top 10 poster rank of both the "delete and combine" forum and the "editing and tools" forum. After I was chosen to become a moderator I moderated over 6000 submissions and posted  232 times in the "moderation hangout" placing 3rd on the top poster list. Today i turn my back to this all. 

His name isEndogène

A user of many qualities; knowledgeable, witty, inexplicably random at times.  Endogene was a Giant Bomb regular that undoubtedly had an immense passion for the site, most of his attention focused on the site's Wiki. He is not quite the 6th most important Wiki contributor this site has anymore, but he is still up there as one of the Wiki's main contributor at 12th place. Notable for his defence of NAKED CARTOON PUSSY, he laid the precedence for allowing all games in the eroge or H-game category in the site. But not only that, he was outspoken and strongly defended his views. It was a no-brainer that he became a Wiki-mod. Even in reviewing submissions, he scrutinized every user's contribution. Ensuring the info was original and accurate. Apparently this was all for nought as he came to a realization.

His name isEndogène   

He had concluded that the site's Wiki, the main feature of the site as advertised, was neglected by the founders and staff. Whilst responding to users' submissions, he had found that the reply button in the submission queue for mods was broken since launch. Devoting as much time as he did, he felt that with the giant influx of new content on site, including the ongoing Persona 4 Endurance Run and linking achievements to your profile, the staff have ignored the key component of the site. Witnessing many suggestions from users concerning improvement of the Wiki; experiencing and trying to rectify a Wiki issue; and seeing no response from the staff, he decided to tender his resignation. He sees this as an example of the staff ignoring the Giant Bomb community.

" Do the founders live in a tower so high above ground that they do only see clouds under them and not those below struggling? "

His name is Endogène 

Unfortunately, his final blog may be most remembered for his melodramatic style of including a detailed backstory, interspersed with exclamations of what his name is. In the unfortunate event that the reader forgot what his name was, Endogene would remind them. Pride and self-appraisal abounds as he listed what he thought had gone wrong with the site. His point would have undoubtedly been made clearer if the reader weren't confronted with the statement of Endogene's name after every paragraph. Of course, to end it all, he posts a symbolic poem. All before reminding everyone one last time with an exclamation that his name was Endogene.

" I didn't read any of that because its a fucking wall of text but one thing i do gather: his name is apparently endogene."

His name is Endogène

Considering how much the site has changed in nearly a year, would you think that Endogene would come back to the site in its current state? Do you agree with his assertions concerning the staff and Wiki? What would he make of all these new features notably; the Wiki Tasks and Quest System? How did you react to Endogene's departure and farewell? How would he be received if he were to return? All things considered, he was a hardworking contributor with nothing but love for this site. But people will remember one thing and one thing only...

His name was Endogène!
The blog can be found here.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By fwylo
@FrankCanada97: These Notable Events are pretty awesome man I read them every time.  Thanks, and please do keep it up.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By StarFoxA

Endogene made some great points about the general neglect of the wiki. I love this site, but there are so many things that go unattended. Not only has the editor been broken since launch (markup text consistently changing, headers not working properly, poor image and table formatting, etc), but the fact that the rules fail to be clearly established even nearly two years after launch is a little ridiculous.

Now, I understand that the team is likely busy with another site (with Screened on the way and Tested still in its preview state), but honestly, guys... I would prefer to see the current group of sites tweaked to perfection before launching another equally buggy site. There are so many glitches and bugs that keep popping up that take weeks to get fixed, and at times it just feels like there is no staff involvement at all.

I love Giant Bomb, but it really needs some revision.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FrankCanada97
@fwylo: Thank you for your praise. With an important video-gaming event coming up, I think you know which event I'll chronicle next.
BackpackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By BackpackKat

Great Job Man! I love these things

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Pie

His name was Endogene.....

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FrankCanada97
@StarFoxA:  Agreed, there are still some issues to be worked out, there is an exploit with the wiki that can generate massive points, how point values are defined and the images issue. It's been a work-in-progress since the beginning.
emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By emkeighcameron

People on forums very rarely mean a damn thing to me, and Endo-whatever is no exception. That being said, I think some of the points you raise are valid. However, I think that most users (such as myself) hardly ever use the wikis, so these issues probably aren't given much concern by the staff.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By TheHT

that was pretty fuckin lame (his blog post, not your awesome documentation).

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake
@StarFoxA said:
" Endogene made some great points about the general neglect of the wiki. I love this site, but there are so many things that go unattended. Not only has the editor been broken since launch (markup text consistently changing, headers not working properly, poor image and table formatting, etc), but the fact that the rules fail to be clearly established even nearly two years after launch is a little ridiculous.  Now, I understand that the team is likely busy with another site (with Screened on the way and Tested still in its preview state), but honestly, guys... I would prefer to see the current group of sites tweaked to perfection before launching another equally buggy site. THere are so many glitches and bugs that keep popping up that take weeks to get fixed, and at times it just feels like there is no staff involvement at all.  I love Giant Bomb, but it really needs some revision. "
Took the words right out of keyboard. I love the site but it's a total clusterfuck of errors and bugs (hence my bugs list I compiled.) New stuff is always nice but the fact that it's broken for months is a real knock to the morale.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FrankCanada97

Truly, I am humbled by all the positive responses. I think I'll document the "Giant Bomb Civil War" some time before the Memorial Day weekend and after that during the major video-game event, you know...

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax
@FrankCanada97 said:
 I think I'll document the "Giant Bomb Civil War"
Don't do that. Seriously, no. That was the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen in my life.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FrankCanada97
@natetodamax said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
Don't do that. Seriously, no. That was the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen in my life. "
But, the unknowing masses deserve to know what transpired that afternoon!
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By Cube
@natetodamax said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
Don't do that. Seriously, no. That was the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen in my life. "
Because you cried and "left" the site? 

Or is that a soft spot?
Avatar image for nikoalexander57
NikoAlexander57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NikoAlexander57

His name is Robert Paulson... 

+1 if you got that

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By sweep  Moderator
  • The banning of Supermooseman and Disgaeamad.
  • That time when Snide yelled at me.

Edit: Also Endogene did have a point, one that has been repeatedly raised since his departure and is still (apparently) being ignored: There are a lot of existing features of the site which are badly neglected. My only criticism is in the high level of drama resulting from his pathetic notions of martyrdom. 
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By Cube
@Sweep said:
"
"
And it was well-deserved. 
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StarFoxA
@Sweep said:
"
"
I don't remember the second one.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FrankCanada97
@Sweep said:
"
"
I'll need to read up and research on the bannings, they took me and a lot of other people by surprise. Also, I'm not sure if the mods will allow discussion on the banning of other users.
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This series is great, it's really fun reading about these things
But yeah, I hear his name was Endogene

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@StarFoxA: It was over the facebook connectivity thing. I wrote a blog saying I wasn't going to use the new feature and everyone mistook my lack of interest for criticism. Snide wrote a big post telling me to fuck off. He still loves me though ;)
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By toowalrus

...these events should be savored by people who were there.

Colf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Colf
@Cube said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
Because you cried and "left" the site?  Or is that a soft spot? "
Nate and sunny both said that they were going to leave the site. (I think Ajay did too.) But then one day later they were back acting like nothing happened. The mods should have banned them, since they were not coming back they would not have needed their accounts right?
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Azteck

I take some pride that I was around in these memorable times.

Colf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Colf
@Sweep said:
"

Edit: Also Endogene did have a point, one that has been repeatedly raised since his departure and is still (apparently) being ignored: There are a lot of existing features of the site which are badly neglected. My only criticism is in the high level of drama resulting from his pathetic notions of martyrdom. 
"
The two bans were well deserved.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Colf said:

" @Cube said:

" @natetodamax said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
Nate and sunny both said that they were going to leave the site. (I think Ajay did too.) But then one day later they were back acting like nothing happened. The mods should have banned them, since they were not coming back they would not have needed their accounts right? "
If we are going to name and shame all the members who said they were going to leave at one point but then never actually did we are going to need a whole new thread.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Azteck

I would actually like to know more about the bannings. I just heard about it one day in the IRC and got hella confused. Anyone feel like sending me in a particular direction?

Colf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Colf
@Sweep said:
" @Colf said:

" @Cube said:

" @natetodamax said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
Nate and sunny both said that they were going to leave the site. (I think Ajay did too.) But then one day later they were back acting like nothing happened. The mods should have banned them, since they were not coming back they would not have needed their accounts right? "
If we are going to name and shame all the members who said they were going to leave at one point but then never actually did we are going to need a whole new thread. "
Yeah and all the mods should ban them. If they say they are never coming back, then they do not need their accounts right?
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Colf: You have much rage, Colf. I approve. We need people like you if we are going to survive the zombie apocalypse.
Colf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Colf
@Sweep: 
I just hate the fact that they bitch and moan and say "I hate you guys I am out of here", then the next week they are back acting like nothing happened.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By StarFoxA
@FrankCanada97 said:
" @StarFoxA:  Agreed, there are still some issues to be worked out, there is an exploit with the wiki that can generate massive points, how point values are defined and the images issue. It's been a work-in-progress since the beginning. "
The point values are determined by how much HTML there is, I believe. That means that tables get you ridiculous amounts for just formatting it (160 for just one row, I believe), while text gets you much less (around 6+ paragraphs gets you about 300 points). The whole thing needs to be restructured.
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#32  Edited By kishan6
@FrankCanada97: These are completely awesome you need to continue doing these events things
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hamz

Sorry folks but any topic speculating and gossiping about the moderation(s) of any user(s) on the site will get locked or deleted. It's how a clandestine operation like ours rolls!

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FrankCanada97
@Hamz: Thanks for the heads up, now I know which topic I won't be doing.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Claude
@Hamz said:
" Sorry folks but any topic speculating and gossiping about the moderation(s) of any user(s) on the site will get locked or deleted. It's how a clandestine operation like ours rolls! "
If he does it as a blog and doesn't attach it to the forums, he's cool. Right?
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hamz
@Claude said:
" @Hamz said:
" Sorry folks but any topic speculating and gossiping about the moderation(s) of any user(s) on the site will get locked or deleted. It's how a clandestine operation like ours rolls! "
If he does it as a blog and doesn't attach it to the forums, he's cool. Right? "
Nope. I'm afraid he isn't!
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#37  Edited By bed
@FrankCanada97 said:
 I think I'll document the "Giant Bomb Civil War" s
oh dude yes. i had no internet at the time so i missed out on that. only Aaox told me about it. 
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Red12b
@Sweep said:

" @Colf said:

" @Cube said:

" @natetodamax said:

" @FrankCanada97 said:
If we are going to name and shame all the members who said they were going to leave at one point but then never actually did we are going to need a whole new thread. "

@Colf said:

" @Sweep said:

"

"
The two bans were well deserved. "
There is a whole heap of shit that went down that we don't know about, and also Moose circumvented his ban and had q&a with a list maker,  
Plus I highly doubt that anyone could make something documenting it,  
And that time that Snide yelled at you was apart of that "CIvil war"... 
bloody civil war who came up with that term I went to bed and woke up to find people bitching, this year has been already a powder keg of "drama"  

@FrankCanada97

said: 

@natetodamax said: 

@FrankCanada97 said: 

But, the unknowing masses deserve to know what transpired that afternoon! "
Heh, yep, every last detail,  

@NikoAlexander57

said: 

" His name is Robert Paulson...  +1 if you got that "

Too easy fight club.  

Edit: damn you hamz beat me too it,
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Hamz said:
So we can't gossip about the moderation but we can gossip about the moderators

I heard the moderators eat live squirrels. Is that true?

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By bed
@Colf said:
" @Cube said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
whaat. i don't even know about that o-o 
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#41  Edited By Claude
@Hamz said:
" @Claude said:
" @Hamz said:
If he does it as a blog and doesn't attach it to the forums, he's cool. Right? "
Nope. I'm afraid he isn't! "
You mean I can't spam my blog with speculation about the goings on of GiantBomb and the moderation at hand. 

It sounds like a job of a mass PM then.
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Steve_C

Excellent write-up. Tastefully handled.

He had some good points, but for me they were completely overshadowed by the ridiculosity of the whole thing. He was a good user seeing him around, but then that self-important rambling of his really left a sour impression.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Claude said:
" @Hamz said:
" @Claude said:
" @Hamz said:
Nope. I'm afraid he isn't! "
You mean I can't spam my blog with speculation about the goings on of GiantBomb and the moderation at hand.   It sounds like a job of a mass PM then. "
That's what the IRC is for, Claude. What on earth do you think we talk about in there? Videogames? Not for fuck.
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44  Edited By bonbolapti

and this, was my first memory of giantbomb. haha

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#45  Edited By natetodamax
@Colf said:
" @Cube said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
If you think I should be banned direct your complaints to the mods instead of the forums.
sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By sopranosfan
@AjayRaz said:
" @Colf said:
" @Cube said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
whaat. i don't even know about that o-o  "
I think you were without internet but some people said that you left because of the "civil war". 
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#47  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Oh man. I remember when that happened. For as overly dramatic and self-pitying as that post was, he did have a point, and the wiki is still kind of broken. It also doesn't help that the quality of it is all over the place. Sure, there is the Wiki tasks tab, but that thing has faded faster than trivia.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bed
@sopranosfan said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" @Colf said:
" @Cube said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
whaat. i don't even know about that o-o  "
I think you were without internet but some people said that you left because of the "civil war".  "
i had no internet at the time, but from what i'm hearing it sounds dumb and over dramatic. i want to know about it! 
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#49  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I don't really remember this "Civil War" either, what happened?

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#50  Edited By kmdrkul
@creamypies said:
" I don't really remember this "Civil War" either, what happened? "
Pretty sure one of the mods (Matty I think) posted nudes of himself.