• 86 results
LordAssinhiemr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LordAssinhiemr
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/02/18/will.wright/index.html?hpt=Sbin

The video game legend, who created "The Sims" and "SimCity," would surely have had no trouble selling his new idea to Electronic Arts or any competing game publisher.

Instead, Wright shopped his project, called "Bar Karma," to television studios.

"Games are not the right medium to tell stories," Wright said in a recent interview. "Video games are more about story possibilities."

What do you guys think? Even though I'm not big on stories in games, saying games are not the right medium, however.....err, I don't know about that.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Well considering nothing he's done in the games industry (which is a lot, mind you) has never focused on narrative and instead allowed the player to build their own narrative (if they wanted to), I can't say I'm surprised by his comments.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By AlexW00d

What I don't get is when people say films are the correct medium to tell stories. ~2 hours is no where near enough time to tell a good story, or convince me the characters we are watching are worth caring about. Whereas 20+ hour video games definitely are the correct medium. Well saying that, 8 hour videogames are i.e. Metal Gear Solid.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By X19

Books will always be the best medium to tell a story.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AlexW00d
@LordAssinhiemr said: 

What do you guys think? 

"
@drag said:
" opinions  "
Well done, when someone usually starts a thread asking what other people think, opinions will inevitably follow.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ProfessorEss

For the time being I kinda have to agree.
My opinion will change the day I play a game that has a truly incredible story.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@X19 said:
" Books will always be the best medium to tell a story. "
I have always thought this as well.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I would kinda agree. If you have a specific story that you want to tell, then video games probably aren't the best medium to do so. If you look at all of the games that are considered to have great stories, the stories require player interaction. Stuff like Mass Effect or GTA IV all have the player influencing the story. Which is great, it really brings the player into the experience. BUT, if you're a writer, and you have written a specific story that you want told in that specific way, a game isn't the way to do it.

PaulRevere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By PaulRevere

I would have to agree. I rarely come across any game that has some specific story the creators were obviously trying to put out there. Games are too flexible for that, or at least most are. Also, I've been watching "Bar Karma" and there's no way in hell that could have been a game... or I should say a coherent game.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By armaan8014

I disagree >:( I love games with a good story. Now I wanna fight

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think games have great potential to tell stories but I think the industry is still how to do it properly and when they do figure it out games are going to tell stories in a unique way, very different from the other storytelling mediums out there. Given the kind of stories Wright wants to tell and the fact that video games are still trying to evolve as a storytelling medium, I think Wright made the right move with Bar Karma.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I disagree entirely.  Silent Hill 1 and 3, combined, are pretty much one of my favorite stories in any medium.  Also, the Legacy of Kain series was amazing excluding some of Blood Omen 2.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kjellm87

It works, but is not the best way. 
Personally I feel like a well written story in a game is a bonus, as long it dosen't have way too long cutscenes or similar things that interupt the game.

Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By Xanth93

Only certain stories can work in a video game. You're not going to see a romance story in a video game, for example. But Metal Gear Solid has proven that a masterpiece of a story can be put within a series of video games. The MGS series is a masterpiece when it comes to its plot. At the same time, some games just don't give a shit about the story. Killzone 3, I heard, has a story that is awful, but the gameplay is good.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By valrog

I beg to differ. Just because his games don't have any kind of story whatsoever, that doesn't mean that games are "not the right medium".

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JCTango
@LordAssinhiemr said:

" http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/02/18/will.wright/index.html?hpt=Sbin

The video game legend, who created "The Sims" and "SimCity," would surely have had no trouble selling his new idea to Electronic Arts or any competing game publisher.

Instead, Wright shopped his project, called "Bar Karma," to television studios.

"Games are not the right medium to tell stories," Wright said in a recent interview. "Video games are more about story possibilities."

What do you guys think? Even though I'm not big on stories in games, saying games are not the right medium, however.....err, I don't know about that.

"
That sorta sounds like a conflicting statement heh.  He's trying to convince you that games lets you create your own stories, yet it might not be the best way to create them; you'd be better off creating your story elsewhere... o_O

I guess it's true though xD.

Video games makes story creation accessible to the masses :)
gazingout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gazingout

People who defend games as storytelling medium are those who like putrid,incoherent,empty blabber such as Metal Gear Solid. Just verifies what a shitty taste our community has.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aetheldod
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @X19 said:
I have always thought this as well. "
No .... there is no better medium to tell a story , the only difference is how you tell a story , what elements can be used and what type of stories you can make , but non is better than the other .
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Brendan

Y'know what's never going to be beaten as a story-telling medium?  Books.  Kind of off-topic but whatever.

gazingout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gazingout
@Aetheldod:  ..except for videogames.
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aetheldod
@gazingout:  Well they have their way ..... but people seem to ignore them and just get into the hate bandwagon. Oh well their loss.
gazingout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gazingout
@Aetheldod: 
You know full well that the genres of video games are named third-person-shooter, first-person-shooter,RPG, plattformer  and not phsycological thriller, drama or comedy, right ?
Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Chop

Games will get there eventually. They haven't really been around long enough for people to crack the code and tell a proper story with them. I can't see the future but I assume at some point somebody will figure it out. 

Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By ApertureSilence
@Xanth93 said:

"Metal Gear Solid has proven that a masterpiece of a story can be put within a series of video games. The MGS series is a masterpiece when it comes to its plot."

@gazingout said:

"People who defend games as storytelling medium are those who like putrid, incoherent, empty blabber such as Metal Gear Solid. Just verifies what a shitty taste our community has. "

GAZINGOUT WINS! FATALITY!!!
JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JCTango
@gazingout said:
" @Aetheldod:  You know full well that the genres of video games are named third-person-shooter, first-person-shooter,RPG, plattformer  and not phsycological thriller, drama or comedy, right ? "
Some of them have good enough stories / vibes to have those other genres tacked onto them..

Take Amnesia for example.. that's not just any regular first person game... it's a scary-as-hell psychological horror/thriller one!
Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By Xanth93
@MurderByDeath: I think people who hate the MGS series have not appreciated its storyline in any possible way. I have a friend who hates the gameplay of the series, but says it has the second best storyline of any video game or series of video games ever.
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Aetheldod
@gazingout:  Those are gameplay genres , not story genres , silly you :P
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By X19
@Aetheldod said:

" @JeffGoldblum said:

" @X19 said:

No .... there is no better medium to tell a story , the only difference is how you tell a story , what elements can be used and what type of stories you can make , but non is better than the other . "
Depends how good your imagination is. With books you have to create the world and characters yourself where as visual mediums do it for you. Also books can put all the effort in to making a good story unlike other mediums which have to put time in to gameplay, visuals and sound etc.
gazingout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gazingout
@JCTango:  Drama-comedy is tacked onto Debbie Does Dallas.
JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JCTango
@gazingout said:
" @JCTango:  Drama-comedy is tacked onto Debbie Does Dallas. "
I am gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that you haven't tried games like Amnesia before? ;D
gazingout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gazingout
@Aetheldod:  No,those are VIDEOGAME genres. My car has snow tires, it's a Jeep. What is the car ,a Snow-Tire-car or a Jeep ?
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Judging from most things I've seen so far, I kinda agree with him.

gazingout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gazingout
@JCTango:  You mean lame games ?
JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JCTango
@gazingout said:

" @JCTango:  You mean lame games ? "

Wow man... what is up with the anger inside you today heh.

Chill out... 

No, Amnesia isn't lame =P.

PS:  As I wrote in my first post in this thread.. I don't have an issue with what Will Wright says in its essence; I do have an issue with your anger-driven arguments though.. they.. sorta don't make any sense =)

Labels on video games, much like in movies and books.. are just that.. they're labels.  They help their audience find them and have a general idea of what they're getting into.

PPS:  Just breathe.. :)
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Aetheldod
@X19:  See this is were you are wrong , you have to tell stories with the aid of visuals and sounds , film and videogames are audiovisual media , media that relies  on visuals and sounds the most , no better and no worse than books. Now people  using those tools correctly , that is up for debate unfortunately :( 

The eternal debate of , "yeah you know in books you have to use your imagination , etc." is pointless , because people dont understand that wardrobes/locations etc. can be used as well to aid the story telling.  Master film maker Kubrick for reference :)   

You see film is = awesome as books , non better than the other , and videogames are learning too ( half life 2 is a good example )
gazingout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gazingout
@JCTango:  Exactly, when you are getting Gears Of War, you know you are getting a third-person-shooter, and not tragedy-drama.
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Aetheldod
@gazingout said:
" @Aetheldod:  No,those are VIDEOGAME genres. My car has snow tires, it's a Jeep. What is the car ,a Snow-Tire-car or a Jeep ? "
Videogame genres of GAMEPLAY!!!!!!!!! NOT story telling. 

Your car is an all terrain vehicle :P
gazingout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gazingout
@Aetheldod:  Videogame is an audiovisual-mechanical medium, not audiovisual.
JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JCTango
@gazingout said:
" @JCTango:  Exactly, when you are getting Gears Of War, you know you are getting a third-person-shooter, and not tragedy-drama. "
Yeah, but you know what kind of 3rd person it is.

Not everyone is into 3rd person satire comedies (ie. Postal)

They're labels.

In any case, we're getting off the thread's tangent. =P
gazingout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By gazingout
@JCTango: Labels which non-fiction-books and movies share, but videogames don't. Just as Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime is a progressive metal album and not political drama.
JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JCTango
@Aetheldod said:
" @JeffGoldblum said:
" @X19 said:
No .... there is no better medium to tell a story , the only difference is how you tell a story , what elements can be used and what type of stories you can make , but non is better than the other . "
I think this sums it up for me.  It's like the phrase, "there are more ways than one to skin a cat."

It's sorta like the movie, Vantage Point.  You can tell a story in more ways than one.. it just depends on your way of telling it.
JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JCTango
@gazingout said:

" @JCTango: Labels which non-fiction-books and movies share, but videogames don't. Just as Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime is a progressive metal album and not political drama. "

Maybe you should edit the concept pages like Survival Horror then, if you keep on with this label argument =/

PS:  Amensia scored a 4.5/5 from its fans here in this community.. that's way above the lame mark =P ;)
gazingout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By gazingout
@JCTango:  Survival Horror is neither a movie nor a non-fictional-book genre.
JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JCTango
@gazingout said:
" @JCTango:  Survival Horror is neither a movie nor a non-fictional-book genre. "
OMG, you're still on this whole label thing?

That's not even what the OP was talking about when he wrote up this thread.
gazingout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By gazingout
@JCTango: 
Stories have genres which don'T share any similarity with those of videogame,not even close.
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Aetheldod
@gazingout said:
" @Aetheldod:  Videogame is an audiovisual-mechanical medium, not audiovisual. "
And is  mathematical , electrical  , mecha-tronic so on and so forth ..... and audiovisual. Dude they are gameplay genres , not story telling genres. In the videogames stories then you can have story telling genres of different kinds  in rpgs you have fantasy (DnD , old school FF) ,  dark fantasy (Dragon Age , the Witcher) Sci -Fi (Mass Effect , Fallout ,  Star Wars , Final Fantasy XIII).  You know what , whatever man be close minded if you like , have good day
JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JCTango
@gazingout: Video games have stories, do they not?  They're not mutually exclusive.  It all boils down to how well they're implemented and written.