Speech Kinda Guy?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Afroman269

So in RPG games where you have the option to dump exp points into a speech category, do you try to max out that option? I always do because I like to have all dialogue options at my disposal. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Everytime. One of the most vital stats, if it's in there, with all the benefits it usually gains you through conversations, item vendors and such.

Fenrisulfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Fenrisulfr

Yes, I'll max it out almost as soon as I can.  In most games that I've played where speech is an option, I'd rather listen to what people have to say and talk my way out of things rather than fight, since fighting is usually pretty lackluster over all in most RPGs where meaningful dialog is present.  That's not to say that the combat isn't good, but not the best and at times, grating because of it, such as Mass Effect and some parts of Fallout 3.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By cornbredx

More often then not its actually a necessary stat in games that use it. So, yes, I do tend to heavily rely on that stat. I do know of some older RPGs that you didn't NEED it but it was so much more fun (or funny in some cases) having it so you kinda in that sense did need to have it.

Now-a-days you could miss out on whole side quests if you don't have it- so it tends to be a requirement now.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By sixghost

It's usually my priority, but not at the expense of being able to fight. The last thing I would want to do in a game like Fallout would be to not enjoy myself because the combat was too hard.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Not really, first i upgrade my combat stats,then the speech skill, but before i upgrade my speech skill i dont do any quests. And if there is no option to free roam (dragon age) then yeah,i go first with the speech skill.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

Usually, yes. I like to have dialogue options open and I also like to talk my way out of fights. I find it fascinating having the option to talk an enemy out of attacking.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#8  Edited By StarvingGamer

Yeah, you can usually overcome shitty stats in combat with careful planning and tactics in those sorts of game. Not having enough speech skill, however, oftentimes flat outlooks you out of content which sucks.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Animasta

wish more games did the bloodline thing of giving you like 5-6 different types of speech to dump your points into

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Afroman269
@Laketown said:
" wish more games did the bloodline thing of giving you like 5-6 different types of speech to dump your points into "
That sounds kinda bad.
matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By matpaget
@CornBREDX said:
" More often then not its actually a necessary stat in games that use it. So, yes, I do tend to heavily rely on that stat. I do know of some older RPGs that you didn't NEED it but it was so much more fun (or funny in some cases) having it so you kinda in that sense did need to have it.  Now-a-days you could miss out on whole side quests if you don't have it- so it tends to be a requirement now. "
Yeah, back in the day speech wasn't such a huge thing. 
King George VI spent too much of his points on the other stats when he should have spent them on Speech
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By nickux

I took Jeff's advice for Fallout New Vegas and got that Speech stat up pretty high early on. Also big on lockpicking skills.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By melcene

I wouldn't say it's my number one, but it's in my top 5.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I always get it to max.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By SomeJerk

For a laugh, I like to skimp on speech and int if the game takes it into consideration for conversations. I don't want my 1 speech 1 int chump to go "Greetings, I was sent here by somebody to investigate regarding the mystery of the missing cows, may I perhaps ask you a few questions good sir?".

I want him to go "WHERE AM MOOMOO??"

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Azteck

Always.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman

Definitely. I love being able to talk my way out of situations. Gives me more of a sense of control over the world and events, which you don't usually get in video games.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hexx462

It depends on the type of character I am playing. Though I tend to gravitate more towards social characters, I like squeezing everything I can out of an RPG. It would be nice if less games forced you to sacrifice combat prowess for speech skills.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Daveyo520

I sure am. I max it out as quick as I can and talk my way through anything. I do however like to fight even though I don't have to.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By Ragdrazi

I tend to play as myself in nearly every video game I play. As if the character were me. And I know that I could have a better speech stat in real life, so I never find myself making that one out.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By FancySoapsMan
Always. Usually it leads to a more interesting experience.
@Afroman269 said:
" @Laketown said:
" wish more games did the bloodline thing of giving you like 5-6 different types of speech to dump your points into "
That sounds kinda bad. "
It's not that bad because Bloodlines doesn't have that much combat, a good portion of it involves talking to NPC's. 
butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By butano

Always, except for the Elder Scrolls games.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

Combat(ranged or melee), Lock Pick, and Speech. That's generally the order I go in.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Speech is always the way to go for me.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By buzz_clik

Yup, pretty much. I'm too paranoid I'll miss some interesting/useful dialogue or skip complete side missions if I'm not the chatty type.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26  Edited By natetodamax
@somejerk said:
" For a laugh, I like to skimp on speech and int if the game takes it into consideration for conversations. I don't want my 1 speech 1 int chump to go "Greetings, I was sent here by somebody to investigate regarding the mystery of the missing cows, may I perhaps ask you a few questions good sir?".  I want him to go "WHERE AM MOOMOO??" "
XD
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#27  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Yep. I always put points into whatever speech skill there is. It's the OCD-ed out individual in me that wants to get every single dialog option open to me. But I always keep my charisma stat fairly minimal.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By tourgen

nope, never mess with it.  Now the explosives skills in Fallout 3, good times!  All my points into it.  Laying out complex minefields.  Trying to kill questline NPCs with explosions.  Usually killing myself in the process.  Good times.

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Linkin10362

Yep, every RPG that has the option I normally make sure that it is one of the first to be completely maxed out.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By raiz265

Never, I skill to kick asses or rob people.