The Community Spotlight Redux

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

No Caption Provided

Welcome To the Community Spotlight!

Welcome to the Giant Bomb Community Thread! Here, you can find links to user run content like the IRC channel and podcasts. Join in on a Game Night sometime. If you have a suggestion for improving the thread, PM me.  

Game Nights/Bombing Runs/Tournaments

It wouldn’t be a video game website without people who play video games….   

<Bomb Squad> Giant Bomb WoW Community Guild! For more details check out THIS THREAD!

User Content

Ravishing User Review

Author's note : If you've written a review (or read a review) that you think is deserving of front page honors, feel free to PM erinfizzwith a link to the review and if it truly is a kick ass review it may very likely end up becoming the next featured review! Good luck and keep up all the good work. :)

Wonderful Wikis

• These wikis are wonderful and should be used by all users as a guidance on how to make well written wikis!
  1. Sid Meier's Civilization V
  2. Duke Nukem
  3. Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
  4. Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online

Lovable Lists

• These user created tabulations are surprisingly informative and hilarious.
  1. Video Game Adaptions (By: S_t_i_n_g_r_a_y)
  2. Most Annoying Video Game Characters (By: CL60)
  3. Game Songs I'd Totally Love to Conduct (By: Sleepy_Insomniac)

Fantastic Forum Posts/Best of Blogs

• These are threads of humor to serious discussions on video games and those who play them.
  1. Official Big Live Live Show Live Animated GIF Thread (By: CitizenKane)
  2. Official Block Party Live Stream Thread (By:RiotBananas)
  3. Serious Issues - Whiskey Facial Fuzz Competition (By:Matthew)
  4. Style in Games: Where do we go From Here? (By: Lokno)
  5. Giant Bombcast Animated (By: Hirashin)

Great Guides

• Some users feel compelled to lend a helping hand to their fellow gamers in a great way by writing guides.
  1. Dead Rising: Case 0 Survivor Guide (By: PNut_Buttr_Panda)
  2. Dead Rising case Zero Timeline/Ending Guide (By: onegear)
  3. List of all Combo Weapons with Item Locations (By: WalkerTR77)

User Created Podcasts

Author's Note:  To get content on the Spotlight just post on this forum or send me a PM, and then I'll review it. All content (threads, guides, wikis and podcasts) will be showcased for a max of two weeks and then removed

Features/Useful Content

Quest System

• New to the site and have no idea what the quest system is about? Then head on down to this thread to learn everything you need to know about the quest system!

Wiki Tasks

• Find a game whose wiki is less than satisfactory but you don't have the time to write the wiki yourself? Request a wiki task and have someone else amaze you with their writing talents!
  • Or if you are looking to score some wiki points you should try to complete a wiki task!

GiantBomb IRC

GiantBomb Twitter 

GiantBomb Steam Group 

Gamertags/IDs/Friends Codes 

No Caption Provided
Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I am still amazed by some of the people here that put so much work and time into GB related activities.

Good for you, guys.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz

Pinned / stickied / anchored for people to see.

Thanks for stepping up to the challenge.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Coltonio7

ZombiePie turns me on.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Karmum

Good luck dude, you will probably want this link, to the banner that was in that topic.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By RedSox8933

Oooo! How exciting!

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Lies

This is iteration 4 methinks? Maybe 5?

Well, time marches on. Good luck ZombiePie, have fun maintaining it until you get tired and turn it over to someone else, as seems to be the routine.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8  Edited By natetodamax

I would suggest making the text smaller and unbold it so it's a bit easier to read. Other than that, nicely done.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Systech

Good luck, friend-brother!

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
natetodamax said:
"I would suggest making the text smaller and unbold it so it's a bit easier to read. Other than that, nicely done."
There we go! I thought people would like the bigger text but I got a lot of complaints saying that it made things harder to read. Well that marks my first experimental failure.

By the way.... anyone have any recommendations for new content I could put in here?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By natetodamax

I'm just going to throw a completely random idea out there. Perhaps maybe links to some of the more popular Guides on Giant Bomb?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
natetodamax said:
"I'm just going to throw a completely random idea out there. Perhaps maybe links to some of the more popular Guides on Giant Bomb?"
Sounds GREAT! A guide of the week feature would fit nicely with the user content I'm trying to plug on this!
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RedSox8933
ZombiePie said:
"natetodamax said:
"I'm just going to throw a completely random idea out there. Perhaps maybe links to some of the more popular Guides on Giant Bomb?"
Sounds GREAT! A guide of the week feature would fit nicely with the user content I'm trying to plug on this!"
I put up Lies, Jayge, natetodamax, and systech's Fallout 3 Megaguide for guide of the century.
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Disgaeamad
ZombiePie said:
"Don’t worry unlike most IRC chat rooms the GiantBomb isn’t full of weird people…"
Dude...what?
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By brukaoru

I think the size of the text for the podcasts is too big, but other than that, looking good. Here-here!

Disgaeamad said:

"ZombiePie said:
"Don’t worry unlike most IRC chat rooms the GiantBomb isn’t full of weird people…"
Dude...what?"
LOL. Really... :P

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By StarFoxA

Kind of a random out of the blue question; what happened to the Sunday Bomb Drop?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hamz
StarFoxA said:
"Kind of a random out of the blue question; what happened to the Sunday Bomb Drop?"
Staff handed it over to the community, the community sort of bottled it I think. Not sure exactly but some folks did it, then they stopped doing it.
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
brukaoru said:
"I think the size of the text for the podcasts is too big, but other than that, looking good. Here-here!

Disgaeamad said:
"ZombiePie said:
Dude...what?"
LOL. Really... :P"
You see kids this is why you shouldn't attempt to be funny when you've only had 4.5 hours of sleep. But chatrooms are still filled with perverts nonetheless.

On the puffy text don't you think it would be good to have larger text for the podcasts? They kind of are important.
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Okay so users can now nominate game guides that they feel are worthwhile for me to post on the spotlight. All I need are three people who weren't involved in the production of the guide and I'll decide if its worth plugging. Like I said in the Spotlight I don't want plagiarized achievement guides. What I want are guides that show that someone put a lot of time and effort into them. It isn't called golden guides for nothing!

Edit: Changed so now it only requires one nomination from an uninvolved user.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By kush

The larger text for podcasts is not a good idea...it just makes that section stand out in a negative way.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
Kush said:
"The larger text for podcasts is not a good idea...it just makes that section stand out in a negative way."
Okay that's the second complaint, I'll change it then.

Out of curiosity, have all of your other complaints, the crowded presentation and unnecessary content been addressed?
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kush

I think the spaces between certain sections are ugly on the eyes...ie. the space the Twitter and Steam section. The images in those sections aren't needed either, but this is all just my opinion.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RedSox8933

The format looks a lot better now, ZombiePie.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Hamz said:
"StarFoxA said:
"Kind of a random out of the blue question; what happened to the Sunday Bomb Drop?"
Staff handed it over to the community, the community sort of bottled it I think. Not sure exactly but some folks did it, then they stopped doing it."
I'll answer this question since I was organizing it. The last two that people actually wrote and sent to snide never went up on the site. I meant to check with snide to see what was up, but I never got around to it. To be honest, I can't be bothered with it anymore. I was fine with scheduling it, but when I've got to chase up snide for reasons why they didn't go up, I end up forgetting and before you know it it's 3 weeks ago so there's not much point anymore. And people put a lot of effort into writing them, I feel guilty when they don't go up and I forget to chase it up.

Anyway, SuperMooseman PMed me about it a few days ago, and he said that he might take over organizing them or something, so the ball's in his court at the moment.

Also, Good work on the thread Zombie Pie.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kush

It definitely looks a lot better...also, I cleaned it up just a tad bit more because I just find extra spaces/etc to be rather bothersome for the eyes.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By StarFoxA

You could also post notable wiki pages that single or several users have put a lot of effort into.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By brukaoru
MattyFTM said:
"I'll answer this question since I was organizing it. The last two that people actually wrote and sent to snide never went up on the site. I meant to check with snide to see what was up, but I never got around to it. To be honest, I can't be bothered with it anymore. I was fine with scheduling it, but when I've got to chase up snide for reasons why they didn't go up, I end up forgetting and before you know it it's 3 weeks ago so there's not much point anymore. And people put a lot of effort into writing them, I feel guilty when they don't go up and I forget to chase it up.Anyway, SuperMooseman PMed me about it a few days ago, and he said that he might take over organizing them or something, so the ball's in his court at the moment.Also, Good work on the thread Zombie Pie."
That's unfortunate, but it was good while it lasted. Perhaps it will return someday.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
brukaoru said:
"MattyFTM said:
"I'll answer this question since I was organizing it. The last two that people actually wrote and sent to snide never went up on the site. I meant to check with snide to see what was up, but I never got around to it. To be honest, I can't be bothered with it anymore. I was fine with scheduling it, but when I've got to chase up snide for reasons why they didn't go up, I end up forgetting and before you know it it's 3 weeks ago so there's not much point anymore. And people put a lot of effort into writing them, I feel guilty when they don't go up and I forget to chase it up.Anyway, SuperMooseman PMed me about it a few days ago, and he said that he might take over organizing them or something, so the ball's in his court at the moment.Also, Good work on the thread Zombie Pie."
That's unfortunate, but it was good while it lasted. Perhaps it will return someday."
Speaking of the devil, Moose just created a thread about them, so it looks like it might be returning soon.
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
StarFoxA said:
"You could also post notable wiki pages that single or several users have put a lot of effort into."
Okay lets do this! The Spotlight will now have a feature called Wonderful Wikis. It will feature the same nomination process as the Golden Guides feature, someone who is uninvolved in the making of the wiki must nominate it to be plugged on the Community Spotlight.

Keep the original ideas flowing guys, these are great!
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Lies
Beastly guide

Beastly guide

I had a complete list somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Shame, really. Those two are great though.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RedSox8933
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hamz
RedSox8933 said:
"This is a great wiki, with three users with over 4000 points each on the page."
Do not use that page.
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
Lies said:
"Beastly guide

Beastly guideI had a complete list somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Shame, really. Those two are great though."
RedSox8933 said:
"This is a great wiki, with three users with over 4000 points each on the page."
Wow over the course of maintaining the Spotlight for little more than 24 hours, the content on this site just now is starting to amaze me!
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
Hamz said:
"RedSox8933 said:
Do not use that page."
Why?
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By StarFoxA
Hamz said:
"RedSox8933 said:
Do not use that page."
Well, for one, the guy in first now has 0 points. But I have put a lot of work into that page, so thanks for the nomination... :P

Edit: And not to mention the fact that MasturbatingBear and I had a huge thing about that page, where he kept erasing everything I had written, and replacing it with something he had written. There are several threads about it, I think.
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
StarFoxA said:
"Hamz said:
"RedSox8933 said:
Do not use that page."
Well, for one, the guy in first now has 0 points. But I have put a lot of work into that page, so thanks for the nomination... :P"
Exactly, regardless of the articles past its obvious that some users like yourself put in a lot of effort into the wiki, and in the end that's what I'm looking for.

The nomination is accepted.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By StarFoxA
ZombiePie said:
"StarFoxA said:
"Hamz said:
"RedSox8933 said:
Do not use that page."
Well, for one, the guy in first now has 0 points. But I have put a lot of work into that page, so thanks for the nomination... :P"
Exactly, regardless of the articles past its obvious that some users like yourself put in a lot of effort into the wiki, and in the end that's what I'm looking for. The nomination is accepted."
I still want to write a super-mega guide for that game...
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RedSox8933
StarFoxA said:
"ZombiePie said:
"StarFoxA said:
"Hamz said:
"RedSox8933 said:
Do not use that page."
Exactly, regardless of the articles past its obvious that some users like yourself put in a lot of effort into the wiki, and in the end that's what I'm looking for. The nomination is accepted."
I still want to write a super-mega guide for that game..."
You should write it and get it in the Golden Guides section of this thread.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By StarFoxA
RedSox8933 said:
"You should write it and get it in the Golden Guides section of this thread."
Maybe I will over spring break.

Edit: Also, this wiki goes very in-depth on the history of the release of the game, which I find pretty cool. Apparently, somebody involved in the release of the game helped with it.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By natetodamax

I'd like to nominate this guide for Golden Guides.

Right here

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#41  Edited By Claude

No Caption Provided
ZombiePie great job, big thanks to Systech.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RedSox8933
natetodamax said:
"I'd like to nominate this guide for Golden Guides.

Right here"
I second this.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By StarFoxA

Oh, wait about that awesome Metal Gear guide: http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/the-metal-gear-scholar-walkthrough-to-metal-gear/789/

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RedSox8933
StarFoxA said:
"Oh, wait about that awesome Metal Gear guide: http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/the-metal-gear-scholar-walkthrough-to-metal-gear/789/"
Oh wow, this is really good! Strange game to have a guide for, though.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By StarFoxA
RedSox8933 said:
"StarFoxA said:
"Oh, wait about that awesome Metal Gear guide: http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/the-metal-gear-scholar-walkthrough-to-metal-gear/789/"
Oh wow, this is really good! Strange game to have a guide for, though."
Who cares? Those maps are amazing. If I ever get around to playing a ROM--I mean legitimate copy--of the game, I might use the guide.
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Disgaeamad
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RedSox8933

Also, Metal Gear Guide LINKED!!

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By StarFoxA
RedSox8933 said:
"Also, Metal Gear Guide LINKED!!"
Oh, sorry. I have a Firefox app that automatically links things for me, so I don't notice when I don't link things... :P
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RedSox8933

Should there be a limit on how many guides are in the Golden Guides section and how many wikis are in the Wonderful Wiki section?

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Systech

This thread has really got it together now. Here's a pretty good description of how I feel:

No Caption Provided