The Most Painful Cut From Your GOTY Top Ten

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Mezmero

The community voting dead line is at hand. I was curious what everyone's most regrettable cuts from their Game of the Year lists are. The hardest game to cut from my list would be my 2012 2011 game of the year Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective for iOS. Hands down the most entertaining thing I've played on my phone. In the end I made my peace with excising it as I felt comfortable in saying I enjoyed every game on the bottom of my list just a little bit more. I also kind of wanted Darksiders 2 on my list because it felt like it was created for the 12 year old version of me. If the story pay off was better it could've made the cut. To get all these regrets out of my system I just went and made a list for numbers 11 to 20 and called it "Guilty Pleasures of 2012". We all cope somehow right?

So let everyone know: What was the hardest game to exclude from your Top Ten Games of the Year.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

Interesting thread idea.

Anyway, #11 on my list is Endless Space.

Also, Ghost Trick is awesome :o

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Jayzilla

Number 1 for me was a no brainer: GW2. I mean, the world itelf feels lived in and it is enough for it to be my GOTY. Just as Skyrim was for me last year. The rest of the list was tough. JTL at #11 sums it up best though.

kre8havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By kre8havoc

Farming Simulator 2013 was a pretty deep cut.

I am thinking of all of the games that I really liked, and as far as I know, they at least got mentioned.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

If I had room, I'd have likely put Street Fighter X Tekken on my Top 10. I know that game gets a lot of flak for the way it handled the character DLC and the gem system, but I think it's fun. Also:

Poison is fucking awesome and if you disagree you're mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries.
Poison is fucking awesome and if you disagree you're mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries.
jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By jimi

I cut Hotline Miami, that really sucked.

Avatar image for just_an_other_muffin
Just_an_other_muffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The last 4 games on my list were darkness 2, Asuras Wrath, Spec Ops and Dust. I could only pick two. Asuras wrath and the darkness were so fun but just couldn't hold up.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By jacdg

Gotham City Imposters, Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Spec Ops: The Line, loved those games to death, but I had to make the cuts.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By kerse

Far Cry 3, but after finishing the story it wasn't really that painful of a cut.

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 30

#10  Edited By brownsfantb

The last game I cut was Need for Speed: Most Wanted which was a tough one to cut. It was also tough dropping Trials Evolution and Spelunky from my list.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By mclargepants

I guess Asura's Wrath would be mine. It was a ton of fun, but the brawler aspect was so bad compared to the awesome QTEs and cutscenes, plus Binary Domain provided enough crazy for my top 10.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By rjayb89

Asura's Wrath. Wasn't that hard really considering I haven't played the Part IV DLC. I'll work on that stuff later, in 20... thirts.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By MildMolasses

None. It actually became hard to fill in the 10 games without rounding out the list with games I thought were just ok.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Hunter5024

I had to cut Persona 4 Arena, and it was hard to see it go, but in the end I just didn't really like the fighting very much, and I had some problems with the way the story was presented. I really need to hurry up and finish writing this, I've only got a few hours left...

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Superkenon

I would've had Gods and Kings on my list, but that was a bit of a stretch as an expansion anyway.

It was more painful that I didn't play Journey in time.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Animasta

Mark of the Ninja; I really do like it and if I had completed it it would've gone up there, but alas...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By Justin258

Dishonored. The gameplay, level design, mechanics, and atmosphere are mostly great... but the story is terrible and after a few upgrades I felt like I was as powerful as I needed to be.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#18  Edited By Little_Socrates

Probably Tokyo Jungle. It was on the short version of my list, but I just really didn't enjoy the "confirmation" playthrough. Its concept is absolutely incredible, though. I'm absolutely DYING for a sequel to Tokyo Jungle, but the original game just has too many issues. I'd rather remember how good Fortune Street is instead.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Jrinswand
@MildMolasses said:
None. It actually became hard to fill in the 10 games without rounding out the list with games I thought were just ok.
Same here. My most painful cut (Fez) wasn't actually painful at all.
abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By abdo

Tokyo Jungle. It just couldn't compete with Sleeping Dogs, Asura's Wrath and Binary Domain.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pr1mus

I actually had a really hard time including 10 games on my list. I did play more than 10 good games but everything after number 7 on my list really wasn't that memorable. Good games sure but i won't be returning to them often if at all and pretty much just forgot about them as soon as i was done with them. Possible exceptions would be FTL and Mass Effect 3. I'm replaying the 2nd one and will probably give 3 another go eventually along with Leviathan.

I guess i would say Torchlight II. It would be number 11 and it really is a toss up between that one and Diablo III. The two just ended up being equally disappointing.

I guess there's really only 5 memorable games on my list since Alan Wake really is a 2010 game and Gods & Kings is an expansion.

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By benjo_t

Path of Exile, because it's not "out", but my god if you want the best action RPG since Diablo 2 that succeeds everywhere number 3 failed (saying that as a fan), then go look it up and get ready for open beta in 2013 or plonk down a few pounds now for early access. It's going to be huge.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

To be honest, I struggled coming up with ten games that came out in 2012 that deserved to be on a top ten GOTY list.

Jabbawocky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jabbawocky

It wasn't so bad for me, out of the 11 new games I played from this year I had to choose between Star Wars Kinect and LEGO Lord of the Rings. The deciding factor in the whole thing was that Leog LOTR had annoying background blur which would strain my eyes.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, with my list I kind of had to 'cheat' by including a bunch of betas- and even an alpha.

If I had stuck with fully-released titles, I probably wouldn't have been able to reach 10. (The fact that XCOM: Enemy Unknown managed to render itself completely unwelcome to my top 10 list certainly didn't help in that regard. :\ )

This was a REALLY good year for betas and alphas I'll say. :P

Whatever the case- my #11 ended up being Worms Revolution. But it wasn't a painful cut by any means. >_>

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By musubi
@Hailinel I rocked a Poison Avatar for a long while on PSN so I concur.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#27  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I didn't get far enough into Dear Esther to put it in my list, but that game definitely would have made it to my top five otherwise. I hemmed and hawed about including Minecraft for the 360 too, but since that game has essentially been out on the PC for much longer, I decided not to include it.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By TobbRobb

It was pretty hard to add Rhythm Heaven and Sleeping Dogs to mine. But sacrifices were made.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By DarthOrange
tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By tread311

After playing Far Cry 3 I had to bump The Secret World out of my top ten. I had some fun for that game and played a lot of it but it couldn't quite top my other 10.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Ramone

Sleepy Dawgz

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Asura's Wrath, Binary Domain, Max Payne 3, Mass Effect 3. But in the end I gave the number 10 spot to Rock Band Blitz.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33  Edited By recroulette

This year was pretty easy because there was a clear gap between my number ten game and everything else.  

Probably would've been Hot Shots Golf World Invitational. The online through the first month that game was out was great, with the daily tournaments and all.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#34  Edited By Svenzon

FTL. Tokyo Jungle to a degree, as well. I've played much more of FTL though.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By UitDeToekomst

Probably Journey. I have only played through once, but probably had the ideal experience; one partner the whole way who had the knowledge and patience to show me where just about all the secrets were. Having just started Fez, though, I am having some regrets that i didn't get around to it in time to add it to my list before the end of the year.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By C0V3RT

Rock Band Blitz stung and was my first runner up to my top 10.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

The closest game to getting into the top 10 that did not was Spec Ops. Besides that one my top ten was not difficult to decide. The order on the other hand was not easy.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#38  Edited By Kidavenger

Only played 11 games that came out last year and one of them was ME3, it was a fairly easy cut.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#39  Edited By Wemibelle

I had more trouble coming up with the ten games, not cutting enough to fit them on the list. I did end up cutting a few things like Fez, but the games I was replacing them with were clearly better.

The one thing I regret cutting is Persona 4 Golden. I wasn't doing it because I don't think the game deserves to be there (in fact, it deserves to be on top). I only cut it because it didn't originally come out this year and I hadn't finished it yet. Even still, the farther I push into the game, the more amazing little changes I see. It absolutely enhances the experience and makes it better. I really wish it was on my list.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MikeGosot

@Hailinel said:

If I had room, I'd have likely put Street Fighter X Tekken on my Top 10. I know that game gets a lot of flak for the way it handled the character DLC and the gem system, but I think it's fun. Also:

By saying "fucking awesome" you mean "fucking hot"? Also, i love the fact that Hugo is in the game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hailinel

@MikeGosot: You are correct, sir!

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MikeGosot

@Hailinel said:

@MikeGosot: You are correct, sir!

Knew it! Poison kinda reminds me of Bianca Freire, a Brazilian transsexual.

No Caption Provided

Also, i didn't had to cut any game from my list because i didn't play 10 new games this year.