Avatar image for theunpopulargamer
TheUnpopularGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheUnpopularGamer

Hey GB, couldnt help myself tonight, wanted to take a night off from writing but I decided to do a write up on THQ seeing as how they unveiled their now logo the other day, I think it looks kinda goofy but they were due for a refresh.  Anyways, in researching stuff for this i realized that I didn't know how much they had going for them. Hope you enjoy reading it. If you don't well im sure youll all tell me about it.

THQ: Doing Big Business The Right Way

THQ just unveiled their new logo that " reflects emphasis on innovation and creativity" THQ isn't just that wrestling game company anymore. They haven't been for some time, THQ to me is a complete games publisher, PC favorites like Dawn of War, console games like Darksiders and Saints Row, casual market with the Nickelodeon brand, new peripherals like the UDraw tablet and even now experimenting in the free 2 play space with Company of Heroes Online. THQ has done a lot in the recent year that has truly impressed me (publishing costume quest!). Say what you want about Darksiders being a rip off of Zelda or God of War, to me they created a unique world for gamers to play in. UFC 2010 sales were way less than expected but going up against Red Dead didn't help, the company also acknowledged that the game would have to go to a 2 year cycle rather than a yearly offering, which to me is a sign that they are listening to the consumer. Now thats not to say they aren't going to help further the franchise, they have a title called UFC Trainer listed as a release this year, assuming this is just another way for them to increase branding with that franchise. The company also secured three big names this year as well and announced partnerships with Patrice Desilets, Guillermo Del Toro and Tomonobu Itagaki, THQ has secured both short and long term business.

Homefront (releasing 3/8) developed by Kaos studios has a rough road ahead, the shooter line up this year is crazy and they are in danger of being swallowed up. The good news for them is the focus on story, crafting a crazy alternate world with what may seem (to some) like a very real danger. The game is releasing around at least 4 different shooters that I can think of. The bleak sci-fi future of Killzone, the crazy kill with skill antics of Bulletstorm, the alien invasion of Crysis 2 and the horror franchise Fear 3. Homefront is right in the middle, two weeks after Killzone and Bulletstorm, two weeks before Crysis and Fear. Thats a small window to make an impact, but the teams commitment to storytelling (having John Milias on board a big part of that) and citing half-life as inspiration certainly can't hurt their chances. Whatever happens with Homefront it shows that THQ isn't afraid to mix it up with the competition. Red Faction as a franchise changed a lot with the introduction of Guerilla and more changes are in store for the series. A new Red Faction game in May, with the XBLA/PSN spinoff also due this year. Throw Saint's Row 3 into the mix for an end of the year release as well and THQ is poised to see a great year. They have showed commitment to existing franchises and a desire to continually launch new IP's, taking risks while playing it safe at the same time. Another interesting thing of note is that their new MX Vs. Atv title will be releasing at $39.99 this year a price point that breaks from the mold, offering a well known franchise at a cheaper cost to consumer is a recipe for success.

Casually speaking

Many hardcore gamers will bemoan things like UDraw tablet and subpar quality Nickelodeon DS games but by now I'm sure we've all realized that these games sell well and kids really like them. These games really fund other projects because of the quick profit they can turn for the company and therefore are a necessary evil. I will give credit for the De Blob franchise and THQ for not abandoning it, I think it's a great game for any age and am excited to see how the new one fares across all platforms. This is an example of how casual gaming can be done right and why THQ's new vision of creativity in intellectual property must be paramount. 

Wheres the bad stuff?

No company is immune from controversy, and I will not forget Cory Ledesmas remark about people buying used games. But in the grand scheme of things, the guy oversees the WWE franchise one of the companies largest sellers and I think as that products brand manager he has a right to be upset over used game sales. However, we are yet to see any kind of earth shattering story about the way they run their business like we've seen from EA, Activision and even that brief controversy from Rockstar games employees. That isn't to say the company is completely innocent, do enough digging anywhere and you'll eventually find something. Until new stories come to light the companies track record so far is pretty good. 

Beyond 2011

We are going to see more UFC and more WWE thats for sure, they are the companies main bread winner. But what else do we get? More Darksiders, more Red Faction, more Saints Row, more Homefront and new IP's like Guillermo Del Toro's Insane and Itagaki's The Devil's Third. Also, Patrice Desilets new project is still unannounced but with the company really hell bent and becoming a major player I'm sure it will be interesting. Having three big names working on separate franchises for you plus already having a stable of intellectual property to rely on is only going to make them bigger. Relic is also working on more projects for the 40K universe, their new shooter Space Marine, the 40K MMO and the eventual Dawn of War 3. This company has changed more than just a logo, they are doing big business they are developing on all fronts and most importantly creating a lot of jobs for the industry and finding ways to keep these people employed through franchising. 

Whether or not you like the games THQ is putting out they are out there doing big things, that being said, the new logo matches their new business plan and I wish them all the best.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

Don't forget Metro 2033! 

I agree. THQ is probably the best under-the-radar publisher out there. They deliver unique, blockbuster quality games that really deserve more attention. They also have amazing support for the PC platform. 

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Seedofpower
@Geno said:
" Don't forget Metro 2033!  I agree. THQ is probably the best under-the-radar publisher out there. They deliver unique, blockbuster quality games that really deserve more attention. They also have amazing support for the PC platform.  "
I second this motion!
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Azteck

Why bold?

But yeah, THQ are pretty cool in my opinion, although I haven't played a ton of games from them.

TheUnpopularGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheUnpopularGamer

DUDES!!! totally forgot Metro, dam that game was awesome

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By beej

Yo Company of Heroes online is kinda shitty when you look at what happened with the CoH franchise. We got a crappy cash in expansion pack that broke the game in all kinds of new and inventive ways and introduced rampant balance issues that still haven't been fixed. We're just now getting a balance beta after over a year without a patch, and absolutely nothing in the way of a substantive patch since tales of valor released 2 years ago. The CoH:O thing mostly feels like an attempt to cash in off of the old CoH name and game. The problem with all of what they've been doing with it is that it's detracted from the time spent on the original game, and the team who made the latest expansion weren't the same as the ones on the original. 

TheUnpopularGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheUnpopularGamer
@beej: really? thats a shame, i havent played it myself yet. 
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By beej
@TheUnpopularGamer: Well with any luck they can make up a lot of ill will with this balance beta, it just happened really recently so I'm excited to see what happens. 
TheUnpopularGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheUnpopularGamer
@beej: its a good thing theyre trying, itd be a shame for that series to go out with a blackeye
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By X19
@TheUnpopularGamer: You should write these in your blog and then link them to the forums. That way users can read all your stuff in one place. 
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By beej
@TheUnpopularGamer: Yeah, although I still think the series will be fondly remembered all the same. I'd love to see it get a fresh revamp (which is part of my concern about CoH:O since it is the sequel to a degree) 
@X19 said:
" @TheUnpopularGamer: You should write these in your blog and then link them to the forums. That way users can read all your stuff in one place.  "
also this.
TheUnpopularGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@X19: will do 

@beej: this is true,  ill always have fond memories of the series