#1  Edited By Xeiphyer
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Xeiphyer

I found this article over on 1UP, it mentions that Reggie (of nintendo and E3 fame) has declared that the New Super Mario Bros Wii, will outsell the Xbox 360 version of Modern Warfare 2. 

So which game do you guys think will sell better? Keeping in mind that its only the 360 version of MW2 and not all 3 versions combined. At first I thought it would be Modern Warfare 2, but actually.. there are a ton of mario fans out there, and I am planning on getting both.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Dany

Long run....sure i can see that happening since once someone buys a wii or a ds, the first thing they do is get a mario game so they will get that or mario kart wii

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Diamond

Tricky question to an extent.  I'd guess Modern Warfare 2 in both short term and long term.  New Super Mario Bros for DS hasn't broken 20 million but COD4 on 360 had around 14 million units sold (according to IW).  The DS's installed base is much larger than the Wii's or 360's, and if anything I think NSMBW will sell proportionally less than NSMB on DS.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By calidan777

Definitely Modern Warfare 2 on Xbox360 mainly because most of Nintendo's "casual" audience has already forgotten that they own a Wii and moved on to something else.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Pie

Modern warfare 2 without a doubt

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7  Edited By Black_Rose
@Pie said:
" Modern warfare 2 without a doubt "
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Milkman

What the hell kind of question is this? Modern Warfare 2. It won't even be close.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Brunchies

Modern Warfare 2, its no contest.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ArchScabby
@Black_Rose said:

" @Pie said:

" Modern warfare 2 without a doubt "
"
Without a doubt Modern Warfare 2.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#11  Edited By citizenkane
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

modern warfare 2, i just an article that it is going to break sale records. it was saying that it the dark knight made $155 billion that modern warfare 2 is going to be over that. i read in a newspaper so who knows if it's going to be totally true or not.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#13  Edited By citizenkane

Moving this to General Discussion.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By Willy105

Obviously, MW2 will have the higher numbers in it's first month, maybe even in it's second.

But in a year, NSMBWii is very likely going to have the most sold. It's quite improbable otherwise.

@calidan777 said:

" Definitely Modern Warfare 2 on Xbox360 mainly because most of Nintendo's "casual" audience has already forgotten that they own a Wii and moved on to something else. "

Can you prove it?
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By eroticfishcake

Considering the amount of threads based around MW2 I've seen I'll say it'll be MW 2 based that and other obivious reasons. I guarantee you anyone who buys Super Mario Brothers Wii won't take a picture of it and tell everyone in their forums that they've got it before anyone else has unlike one or two I could care to mention.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By jakob187

Why do you people think that MW2 will have it EASILY?  We're talking about Mario here.  Regardless of MW2 having a shitload of hype, that doesn't mean Mario won't sell.  Plus, it's the Wii.  Top selling system this gen?  Remember when Super Mario Galaxy came out alongside Uncharted and Assassin's Creed?  Those two had MASSIVE hype...but Mario still trampled them. 

I'm not saying MW2 won't outsell NSMB out of the gate.  It will, but it won't be EASILY.  

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

You guys do know that mario kart sold 18 million copies right? 

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pie
@jakob187 said:
" Why do you people think that MW2 will have it EASILY?  We're talking about Mario here.  Regardless of MW2 having a shitload of hype, that doesn't mean Mario won't sell.  Plus, it's the Wii.  Top selling system this gen?  Remember when Super Mario Galaxy came out alongside Uncharted and Assassin's Creed?  Those two had MASSIVE hype...but Mario still trampled them.  I'm not saying MW2 won't outsell NSMB out of the gate.  It will, but it won't be EASILY.   "
Will
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Diamond
@jakob187 said:

Why do you people think that MW2 will have it EASILY?  We're talking about Mario here.  Regardless of MW2 having a shitload of hype, that doesn't mean Mario won't sell.  Plus, it's the Wii.  Top selling system this gen? Remember when Super Mario Galaxy came out alongside Uncharted and Assassin's Creed?  Those two had MASSIVE hype...but Mario still trampled them.  I'm not saying MW2 won't outsell NSMB out of the gate.  It will, but it won't be EASILY.

You bring up an interesting point because Super Mario Galaxy didn't actually sell that amazingly, while Mario Kart Wii sold tons.  Why did New Super Mario Bros on DS sell so well and Mario Galaxy not as well (proportional to installed base, even)?  I think there's a chance that New Super Mario Bros Wii will be somewhat ignored, but I don't understand why that should be.

There's no comparing the hype level of Uncharted or Assassin's Creed, 2 brand new IPs to the hype level of a 10 million+ selling game.  It's the difference between forum hype and real world hype.

I think it could be very tight though.
Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Griddler

Dude, New Super Mario Bros. Wii...

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RsistncE

Reggie's an idiot if he honestly thinks a Mario game will outsell MW2. Whatever floats his boat I guess.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By breadfan

Modern Warfare 2, no doubt. 

I'm sure New Super Mario Bros. is going to be a great game, but there is no comparison.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Belonpopo

I think Call of Duty is overrated and still don't see how that game sells so many.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Belonpopo said:
" I think Call of Duty is overrated and still don't see how that game sells so many. "
Thats ironic coming from a Dragon Ball Z fan.
Gaughan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gaughan

I don't know if anyone pointed it out yet, but Reggie didn't say NSMBWii would outsell the 360 version of MW2, he said NSMBWii would outsell ONE version of MW2 (I mean version as in each consoles version).

So it is possible NSMBWii might outsell, lets say, the Pc version of MW2 and could Reggie turn around a go "HA! Told you so!"

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Romination

Reggie's getting a bit of a big head. I think Dead Space Extraction will come from behind and trump them all!...

damn it's hard to say. bit if Gaughan is correct, then hey, definitely new super mario

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By CL60

MW2

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Phished0ne

I would like to think that New Super Mario Brothers Wii will sell more................................but i know better.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By Mushir

Reggie said that NSMB Wii will outsell MW2 on one of the consoles. He didn't specifically say the 360. So that means that he could be thinking about the PS3 aswell. Which I think it will outsell. Not on the 360 though.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JoelTGM

Funny how this is a hard question... I just have no idea because it's the Wii and mario we are talking about it...

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By nick_verissimo

I don't know if it's fair to put those games side-by-side and say which one will sell better.  They appeal, in large part, to different demographics and it just seems highly unlikely that Mario Bros. will outsell really anything on any other console this year.  If we're talking market share for a particular consoles sales this holiday season, then chances are Mario will take up a bigger chunk of that particular consoles sales,because honestly what the hell is coming out for the wii, however, there is no way in hell that the quantity of copies sold even matches up to Modern Warfare 2.  Ultimately, Modern Warfare 2 will go done as one of the best selling game's ever.  Write that down.
Actually, let's pit NSMBWii up against the pc version of Modern Warfare 2.  That seems like a fair fight, no?
Also, I heard the Koopaling's are in that game.  If that's true I kind of want to buy it now. 

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sgjackson

Day one? MW2 is going to thrash it. But when Mario Kart sold 18 million copies, I am not going to write it off as easily as you guys do . It would not surprise me in the slightest if NSMBW is competitive with MW2, in the long run.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zeforgotten

Who the fuck cares? 
I mean, honestly? Is it really that important? 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario is going to kick Modern Welfares ass.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By Willy105
@Belonpopo said:
" I think Call of Duty is overrated and still don't see how that game sells so many. "
It's a game that appeals to casuals.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By xyzygy
@Belonpopo said:

Agreed. I just see it as another shooter. I've played it quite a few times and it's just way too repetitive for me. I'm sick of the whole Army/guns/plot twists/conspiracy/war games. Regardless if they're based between the 1900's - to 2300's (in years). Now, a first person war game with different types of crossbows and bows and whatever other type of ranged weapons from the medieval times would be cool :P You could plunder villages and there could be a "Capture the Castle" game type! Just kidding, it would take a really great team to actually pull that off.

To be quite honest I can see why people like the game, but CoD is like, the Bro game to get. I've lived on a university residence when the first Modern Warfare came out and I would hear guys with their popped collars, all dressed and smelling the same who would have no interest in games like Mass Effect, God of War, Super Mario Galaxy, Assassin's Creed, etc (games that came out that year) and they'd be like "Yo Brah, you hear about this new game Call of Duty? I've never heard of it before but a bunch of my friends got the game, sounds sick man, it's like World War 2 game but like, now."  

The reason I bring the "Bros" up is because from the Bros that I know, they just seem to be much more casual gamers, or they have more of a social life. Personally, I like to balance my social life and games out... I could never give games up. There is nothing wrong with that at all. It's just why I think these games sell so much - they think that if there is one game to get, it's Call of Duty.

I don't mean to put CoD players in a box, but I just notice that a lot of the guys I know who play CoD are somewhat "casual" gamers, in that they only play Call of Duty. A quote I hear often is "Man when is the new Call of Duty coming out, I'm sick of playing CoD4 all the time". A simple response to that question would be to play other games, but since a lot of other games don't have the accessibility of CoD it would seem like kind of an obstacle to them. Just what I've noticed.

Oh yeah, this is also why I think Borderlands should be Game of the Year.  

On topic, I think NSMBW will sell more in the long run. It's a classic Mario 2D game, come on. This time with co-op!
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By thecleric

a new GTA is the only thing that could potentially outsell MW2 at this point, and since that isn't happening

Pantalooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Pantalooney

modern warfare will sell bajillions

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By rinkalicous

I voted MW2 as almost an instinctive reaction, but they I stopped to think about it. And now that I have, you know what? I honestly think, in the long term at least, Mario is going to pull this one out the bag.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By captain_clayman

look at this. 

Everyone's predicting Modern Warfare 2 to outsell fucking mario brothers. 
the times, they are a-changin'...

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard question, but . . . . 
@MAN_FLANNEL said:

" You guys do know that mario kart sold 18 million copies right?  "
yup, so MW2 certainly won't destroy NSMBW in therms of sales, even if it does win
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hatking

Two games I couldn't care less about, but I guess that gives me the advantage as an objective observer.  I think without a shadow of doubt that Modern Warfare 2 will abosolutely trump New Super Mario Bros Wii, first of all the general public doesn't really even know about New Super Mario Bros Wii, everybody knows about Modern Warfare 2, or at least has had the chance to know about it.  Heck even myself as a gamer I've barely heard anything on the New Super Mario Bros Wii game.  Also I think a big part of the other Wii Mario games success is due to people recognizing it as a N64 sequel, this does not have that, and the name is so fucking convoluted nobody is going to recognize it for what it is anyway.
s3ank1m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By s3ank1m

ModernWarfare 2, because the hardcore gaming audience will likely want something to play that will last them longer in the long run and the fact that MW2 is gonna be played on xbox live competitavily, its a much more attractive pacakage

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I think in the long run it'll be close but Modern Warfare 2 will dominate it in the start.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Binman88

I think MW2 will sell faster than NSMBW, but over time the Wii game will sell equal or more than the 360 game.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By Karmum

Modern Warfare 2 will dominate in short term, but I wouldn't be surprised if New Super Mario Brothers Wii ends up taking the long-term crown. Why? Wii has a bigger install base. Even all of the sales combined of Modern Warfare 2 might not be enough in the long term. How much has the DS version sold? How about other successful Mario-related DS games? Then again, this isn't the DS we're talking about.

Modern Warfare 2 is going to be a ridiculous short term seller. The 360 version will obviously sell more than New Super Mario Brothers Wii, and I think the PS3 version will too.

However, I'm going to stick to my guns and say the consumers want the typical shooting game (which isn't a bad thing -- I'm apart of it), over a Mario platforming game. I dunno, we'll see.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#47  Edited By gingertastic_10

Modern Warfare. Though that being said, no disrespect to New Super Mario Bros. No doubt it will be a fantastic game, it's just not as popular as Modern Warfare 2. I would rather buy Mario Bros, I won't even touch Modern Warfare 2.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48  Edited By Hamst3r
@ZeForgotten said:
" Who the fuck cares? I mean, honestly? Is it really that important?  "
But but but, people's egos are on the line!!
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By zeforgotten
@Hamst3r said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" Who the fuck cares? I mean, honestly? Is it really that important?  "
But but but, people's egos are on the line!! "
OH! My bad, carry on then
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KamasamaK

He specifically said "by the end of the holiday season". Probably MW2.