It appears that Bustin' no longer makes Justin McElroy feel good (New Ghostbusters game is a river of slime)

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bigsocrates  Online

This review is very good:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/12/12167508/ghostbusters-2016-video-game-review-xbox-one-ps4-pc

Apparently the game is not.

I don't understand why making a good Ghostbusters game has proved so difficult for so many developers. The whole concept of Ghostbusters is pretty much just a shooter, including unique mechanics of capturing ghosts in traps and avoiding 'crossing the beams. Throw in some spooky locations/ghost designs and you're donezo.

Yet time and again this movie franchise that seems tailor made for video games has resulted in total garbage. I know that the 2009 game has its fans, but there are just so many terrible Ghostbusters games out there you'd think the franchise was haunted.

By the way, does this and the Ninja Turtles game mean we are firmly back in the era of terrible licensed games on consoles? For awhile the terrible licensed games were all going to mobile and it seemed like lots of the licensed stuff on console was at least passable, if not always inspired, but this feels like a real return to the halcyon days of LJN and barely playable crap coming out for full price with a license slapped on it.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We've already had the best licensed Ghostbusters game we're probably ever going to get, so this isn't that big of a deal.

Edit: This thing is $50 on Steam, fucking what.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bigsocrates  Online

@adequatelyprepared: Yeah, it's $50 everywhere I think, like the Turtles game was.

I agree it's not a big deal that an individual game was bad, but I don't want to return to the days of licensed games being all overpriced crap. I don't know why big publishers would want to be in the "tricking grandma into buying something bad for little Timmy because she doesn't know better" racket. THQ needed to do that to survive, and that was LJN's whole business model back in the day, but surely the profit from that can't compare to what Activision is raking in from Overwatch and Call of Duty. Plus they're already in the kids video game market with Skylanders, where they put out a product that grandma can buy and little Timmy might actually want.

Avatar image for bashymcbashbash
bashymcbashbash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bashymcbashbash
No Caption Provided

It's $65.00 in Canada.

What's frustrating is that if this was 5-8 dollars it would be harmless. Get it on sale on PS+ or Live Gold and it would be crappy but still 4-player co-op couch game which people can make fun...but...oof. 50-65 dollars...blech.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@bashymcbashbash: $65 CAD = $50 USD

But yeah, too much. I bet the price plummets quickly--just after they sucker some early adopters but before the hype for the movie completely dies.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

just reminded of a Bombcast where Ryan and Vinny just declare that Luigi Mansion is a better Ghostbusters game.