Has anyone played God Eater Resurrection?

absolutelybri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By absolutelybri

Has anyone played God Eater Resurrection? I would like to play a monster hunter esque game, and would like to know if this is a good place to start.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

I've been playing God Eater Resurrection!

I'm not very experienced with the Hunting genre and the only other Monster Hunter esque game I've played is Freedom Wars, which was made by the same studio as God Eater. But I'm about 7 or 8 hours into the story and I can at least say I'm enjoying it more than Freedom Wars so far, God Eater is just a lot more straight forward in terms of interface. If you would like a more in-depth review I'd recommend Classic Game Room's video on the original PSP game. They are both basically the same game but Resurrection has an improved presentation along with new content.

If you want a Hunting game that has more of a story to it, God Eater seems like a good place to start with the genre from what I can tell. The game is also only $20 so it is not a huge financial investment.

Avatar image for peanutbuttersadness
PeanutButterSadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a bit of Gods Eater: Burst which was the PSP version, only I played it on the Vita and I couldn't deal with the camera control. I liked what I played of it, but as soon as I learned it was going to be rereleased it on PS4 I stopped playing. I wasn't that far in and the combat felt a little easy, but I didn't mind that as I was learning the systems and crafting.

Not sure how much that helps, but I bought it and plan to restart it as soon as I get through a few other things I have started. Edit: Also, I've only played a bit of Freedom Wars and have not played a Monster Hunter game.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, fan of both here (playing Resurrection and 4U right now); just wanted to point out some of the disparity between the two games. While both share a similar design of "fight the big bad guy and use his/her parts to make new gear", they don't really feel the same. God Eater is much lighter, with less commitment to each strike (and shot, I guess, but everybody gets hybrid weapons in this game, unlike MH). I'd liken the feel more to something like Dynasty Warriors than MH. Where it differs from Dynasty Warriors is the actual challenge enemies can present. There's also a good amount of cut scenes and dialogue, making God Eater more story-driven than the Monster Hunter games. Weirdly enough, though, I'm pretty sure the missions in GE are generally much faster than MH's.

MH, by contrast, has very Souls-like combat (or, I guess, it's more prudent to say Souls has MH-like combat, but the West didn't really fall in love with Monster Hunter until recently). Animations are very heavy in these games, and the sounds do a great job of adding to that weight. Every single strike feels like a meaningful decision, as there usually isn't an easy way to cancel into a dodge or block.

So, ultimately, I guess what I'm saying is: God Eater's a fun game. So is Monster Hunter. You kill big, bad dudes in both of them, but the actual moment-to-moment feels very different. If you jump from one to the other thinking that combat was going to be the same, you might be surprised.

That said, to answer your initial question, I'm not sure GE is a good place to start if your intent is to carry that knowledge to MH, as GE tries to do more of its own thing. However, if all you want to do is play a hunting-style game (and, for $20, that's pretty awesome), then I can't see why not.

absolutelybri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nonused:Thanks for the feedback. This was very helpful. There has been seemingly zero media coverage, and I wanted to know it wasn't shovel-ware.

absolutelybri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lentfilms: I bought into Freedom Wars, and bounced off pretty early too. I also bounced off of Soul Sacrifice. On paper I really like these games. Those were both Vita games, and with my large hands it hurts to play grindy games. I'm hoping being on teh PS4 will be a better fit for me.