God of War Needs a New Game Plus Mode Added

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think just about every RPG needs a new game plus mode and this iteration of GoW is a RPG. I'd like to play the game again and I'd switch it from normal to hard, but I don't want to unlock skills, collect resources to craft, open chests to earn runic attacks, learn languages, etc again. I'd just like to experience the story and battles again. Also, I have to question the design idea of only allowing you to fully upgrade your weapons after you beat the main story. Depending on the order of how someone beats the main story, side missions, and fog & fire realms there might not be anything (or much) for someone to do once they beat the campaign, so they can now fully upgrade their weapons, but they might not have anything to do with them.

I guess adding a photo mode and whatever else is nice, but I'd rather focus on something more crucial like a NG+ option and gamers might need to pressure them on Reddit, Twitter, their forums, and other places for that to get done. I think the game director said they wanted to do one, but didn't have time, but then I read someone saying they tweeted that there are no plans for this addition anymore. To me, it feels incomplete and a shame if it's not added, because I probably won't ever replay the game from scratch. I love the game, it's definitely a 9 point something to me, but this (among other things) would prevent me from giving it a perfect score and probably should've stopped game critics too IMO.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MiniPato

Gear progression in general seems a bit bunk. I agree with Jeff in last week's bombcast that the crafting system feels oddly paced. Also I think the whole seamless presentation with no cuts puts me off of even wanting to replay it again. If there were a way to fast forward through cutscene sequences, that would be great, but in general I've felt no desire to run through it again.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato: I'd play it again immediately if it had NG+. I think the story and gameplay are top notch, but gameplay wise I wouldn't want to go 4 to 8 hours just to find the find the rune attacks I liked and unlock attacks. Story wise, I think it would be interesting to see things after knowing the twists like Baldur really looking for one of the last giant (Kratos' wife) not confronting him for being a Greek god. His son asking if he can turn into wolf or bird is a hint at him being Loki. I'm curious if there are other easter eggs.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should email the developer.

taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@deathstriker: Yeah I would jump back in the moment an NG+ mode is added. I really wanna see the story again but I don't feel like rebuilding Kratos from the ground up after having put so many hours into it already.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The question then would be how to balance things: if you played the game on normal and got plenty of gear, then starting a hard NG+ would be way easier, at least before you would approach the endgame again. I played the game twice and had a blast both times, I will want to try the hardest difficulty at some point, but need a couple of months cooldown first.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quipido said:

The question then would be how to balance things: if you played the game on normal and got plenty of gear, then starting a hard NG+ would be way easier, at least before you would approach the endgame again. I played the game twice and had a blast both times, I will want to try the hardest difficulty at some point, but need a couple of months cooldown first.

As long as the enemies scale to Kratos I don't see why that would be hard to manage. For example, if your Kratos is a level 7 then enemies are levels 7 to 9, if you're a level 8 then enemies are 8 to 10, and so on (I don't know what Kratos' level cap is).

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker:

Yea, but you don't get new gear to raise your level.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's the thing about new game + modes. Or rather, here's the thing about games in general - they take a long time and they're really hard to make. In a big budget game like this, and I've heard this from several developers, adding a NG+ mode is far more complicated than it may seem - especially if it is something with a more "scripted" experience. Dad of Boy is already a mish mash of various systems that are meant to be presented in a fairly specific order - but hey let's just dump in things that simply aren't meant to be accessible at certain points in the game! I'm sure nothing will go wrong...

I'm sure it's hard to do, just like doing anything with such a complex piece of software, but replayability is fundamental when it comes to a single-player only game and it's pretty normal in the genre - it's not like this is an odd request - every Mass Effect game, Witcher 3, Horizon, etc have done it.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quipido said:

As long as the enemies scale to Kratos I don't see why that would be hard to manage. For example, if your Kratos is a level 7 then enemies are levels 7 to 9, if you're a level 8 then enemies are 8 to 10, and so on (I don't know what Kratos' level cap is).

Sure, but that would mean changing one of the fundamental design elements of the game. Nothing scales as far as I know now, which influences the power curve of the game, the feel. Skyrim scales (up to a point) and that results in a same-y feeling characters throughout the game, Kratos gets significantly stronger as he gears up, making investing in side activities meaningful. But yeah, it could be done of course, but it would definitely require some work.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I wish the fast travel system didn't take as long as it does. Admittedly, I generally lost interest in the game once it was finished. It's long enough as it is, and the gimmicky other realms aren't very fun. I wanted to beat the Valkyries at least, but I cannot be bothered with Niflheim. Gives me a reason to go back to the game at a much later date, though.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like I've felt that way about every God of War game.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like a mode that lets you carry over everything for purposes of experiencing the story again yes.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OurSin_360

I wouldn't say rpg but every arpg should have one, which i would probably classify this(from what i have seen as i havent played it yet) and games like darksouls.

Last game i played that needed one badly was mgsv.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't finished the game yet but hearing there is no NG+ option is a real bummer.