Gone Home Ending Explanation SPOILERS!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I just finished Gone Home in one go. I became so absorbed in it, that I had to see its conclusion. However, I think I might have finished it a little too soon, as I missed about 5 journal entries and by the end, I feel I might have missed something. Did Lanny kill herself? Did you she run away? If so, why didn't she let her girlfriend know?

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You should really go back and find those journal entries, don't rush it.

They ended up running away together.

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

@jking47 said:

You should really go back and find those journal entries, don't rush it.

They ended up running away together.

Yeah, I got that part. But now it's all making sense, as I just remembered you are playing as the sister. She is coming home to see they've all left. I can't believe it took me a few minutes to process it, but it's all making more sense now. Like how the house is a reck and so on...

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I was real glad to see they went in the " happily running away together route" and not the "double suicide path".

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I was real glad to see they went in the " happily running away together route" and not the "double suicide path".

Who says they didn't both commit suicide after they ran away? :o

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@themanwithnoplan said:

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Never finished the game, slenderman is going to jump out any minute, too scared

Potts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Potts

That's one of the brilliant things about the game. It doesn't give you that "oh, i'm a video game so a monster or ghost is going to pop out at any moment accompanied by screeching violins & lightning flashes" moment, but instead gives you that "I'm home alone, in an unfamiliar house, I'm finding out all this private shit about my sister and my parents, I'm worried they did something stupid, and WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT NOISE" feeling. That eerie, half-creeped out feeling you get at home when the thought of vampires or werewolves or ghosts or slendermen or any number of creepy possibilities pops into your head, and you can't help but KNOW that they are just around that corner.

The game just makes you feel that all the time, and I loved it.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Red12b

@themanwithnoplan said:

yea I was fully thinking it would go down that route aye...

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im confused just finished it and read some post about it on here and im still a bit confused with what people say about it.

Im not sure who is who ? am I kate and if so isn't it me that's a lesbian ? who is sam ?

I found everything I think and still its not really making sense.

I played the start of it a while ago then finished the rest all in one sitting. Have I just forgotten some things from the start ?

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@cabbages: Sam is short for Samantha. Sam is the younger sister, while the player is the older sister that just got back from a Europe trip.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyman04:

Well al the way through it I thought I was the lesbian ? is it sam that's the lesbian ? am I supposed to have thought I was sam ?

I really don't get it.

I think I must have stopped playing it at the start a the wrong time as its totally messed up what I thought was going on.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Monkeyman04

@cabbages: Sam is the lesbian. You know you're the older sister from the start. If you looked in the inventory you have her passport.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Evilsbane

@potts said:

@bigjeffrey said:

The game just makes you feel that all the time, and I loved it.

That was my problem is I felt like the game did Not make you feel that all the time, I was super excited for some awesome ghost story or a least the game playing with you more on whats going on I felt like I figured out that it was just going to be about your sister meeting another girl I could tell that was the story line and ..that was kinda it I figured it out to easily and so I spent 2 hour wandering around a house trying to beat it hoping it would surprise me at some point. It isn't terrible and the high res stuff is nice even though it just makes the Non high res stuff in there look like crap but the puzzles were junk the story was after school special worthy at best. If the game didn't have her being a lesbian there would be nothing to that game and even with it I don't find much there except some cool high res 90's shit. All I can say is how glad I was to hear during the GOTY delibs that they mention that the end of that game could be interpreted as a Bad ending because in real life that situation is going to go Real bad most likely.

Sorry to be the devils advocate I am pretty open to most games but I felt the game was thin and just offer a less than popular opinion for those curious.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@evilsbane: Your opinion, while I disagree, is the best I have read as to why someone didn't like it.

Thanks, I really enjoy reading contrasting opinions that are well thought out and constructive like that =)

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

red herrings from the start. The game opens to a phone message of sam crying on the phone, but by around the end, she never really does give an impression that she's waiting by a bus alone waiting for Lanny. Plus I never got the impression Lanny as a character then what Sam said, as far as I knew she could have killed her because of dumb horror movie trope in which sexuality equals death. The red herrings got distracting by the time the bath tub because I felt confident in knowing Sam was a lesbian and no one was in the house.

The game is more designed through progress audio logs get said, and anything you pick is more about those little things that color this romance. So how did some people skip audiologs? How much interactivity is there in this game then just pushing on to find key into next section. You can't activate the side rooms without reading the note? I tried the library and it didn't activate till after reading it.

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By newhaap

@cabbages said:

@monkeyman04:

Well al the way through it I thought I was the lesbian ? is it sam that's the lesbian ? am I supposed to have thought I was sam ?

I really don't get it.

I think I must have stopped playing it at the start a the wrong time as its totally messed up what I thought was going on.

Oh no! It's too bad that you're that confused about the premise. I don't know how appealing it would be for you to go through the game again, but if you're interested in the story then it's probably worth it.

As @monkeyman04 has mentioned, you're the older sister who just returned from Europe, the note you found on the front door is from your younger sister Sam, who you later find out is a lesbian. The voice you hear over the course of the game is Sam telling her story, and I can see how this can be confusing since there's no context to where you as the older sister is getting this story from, but it's all explained in the end.

beryllium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

The game opens to a phone message of sam crying on the phone, but by around the end, she never really does give an impression that she's waiting by a bus alone waiting for Lanny

I think that's actually Lonnie on the phone cause Sam said she missed her first two calls, hence the crying during the second one. So I see them going off happily ever after in the end. There's something about these stories for me though, I always want to know more about the characters after the end.

I'm pretty curious about the parents too. From the clues it looks like they're on a couple's therapy sort of trip as their anniversary trip. I wonder if they'll make it. Seems like Terry's luck is working out better for him with the new publisher and Jan's probably not looking to homewreck Ranger Rick's new marriage.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce said:

@beryllium said:
@crithon said:

The game opens to a phone message of sam crying on the phone, but by around the end, she never really does give an impression that she's waiting by a bus alone waiting for Lanny

I think that's actually Lonnie on the phone cause Sam said she missed her first two calls, hence the crying during the second one. So I see them going off happily ever after in the end. There's something about these stories for me though, I always want to know more about the characters after the end.

Exactly, It's Lonnie leaving a crying message for Sam, although I think that by missed the first two calls she was talking about the first two calls on the answering machine, not that it effects the story any but I think she just meant that Lonnie called, left the crying message, and then you the older sister leave the "is anyone there?" message and then on the third call Sam picks up and it's Lonnie.

Anyways, with that said I think the ending over all is a bad ending (emotionally not written/game wise) two young girls in love/lust running away from their home/the military realistically probably wouldn't work out well, we make some pretty dumb declensions when we are young and something like that would bite you in the ass eventually.

But returning home would mean returning to parents and a school system that wants to shun or just ignore who they are. So it's kind of bad for Sam all around and maybe worse for Lonnie if the military forces some sort of awol charges on her or something.

But I'm just glad the ending didn't Thelma and Louise them or something so that part is good.

a lot happens in that small amount of time. Plus also kinda one tone the whole audios are just through Sam's perspective I forgot even what the main character sounded. Picking up notes about the mom cheating on the ranger or the dad getting a book deal are interesting because they are placed well and don't really ruin the flow of the exploration. I just don't how they organized I didn't accident access to sam going "Yup I'm a lesbian." from the start. Instead I infer she was a lesbian early on from her voice acting and obsession with Lonnie

I don't know if I would say the ending is bad, but if the whole there are ghosts in this game would actually have satisfy some people. But it was a simple ending just to throw people off much like a lot of the red herrings of the entire game.

Going to art school, I knew a lot of gay men who went through the military just to pay for college. So yeah, I just didn't buy Lonnie even leaving military for "love." Again it's simple design you'd find in a movie to make you feel something, again the whole red herring design of the game.

JesterArbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally played this game two days ago and even though it was spoiled for me, instantly one of my favourite narratives of the year. Everything was great, the illusion of the house being haunted to the realistic storytelling and the way that the story reveals itself to you as you search more of this house. What a wonderful game.