Noises *spoilers*

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

So I beat the game last night. It was phenomenal. Loved it.

One thing I noticed, though, is that when I was looking around in the basement I could hear footsteps on the upper floors. It actually really creeped me out even if the game ended up being completely different than I originally thought (not a spooky ghost story).

I also had a couple of different instances where I was reading a note and it sounded like something was moving around in another room.

I'm probably not the only one that noticed this, right? I think it's brilliant.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Coafi

I posted something similar on the spoilers thread, I thought I was the only one. Or that my mind was playing tricks on me. Did you also hear doors creaking as if someone was opening and closing them? The strange thing is that I was constantly closing doors and never left them open and yet, I still heard noises.

SuperTess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SuperTess

Definitely heard some noises. And the shadow cast from the plant at the end of the hall looked like a shadow of a person from a certain angle.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4  Edited By WightnNerdy

Definitely heard some noises. And the shadow cast from the plant at the end of the hall looked like a shadow of a person from a certain angle.

Oh man, I never noticed that! I'll have to check that out.

And yeah I did remember hearing doors creaking and stuff. I tried to close most of the doors I opened.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was creepy as hell, but I just put it down to floor boards creeking and rain tapping on the roof. That game is constantly fucking with you.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supertess said:

I noticed that, too. It freaked me out for a microsecond a couple of times. Overall, this game's atmosphere is very creepy, maybe even TOO creepy for what the game is. But about half-way through I was so engrossed in the stories and plots that I managed to tune all that stuff out.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By spiceninja

I heard noises too that creeped me out but then I found a paper from an electrical company explaining that the house was old and the wiring was weird so you would hear strange noises when you stepped on certain floorboards or something to that effect. I don't remember it in detail but it explained why you hear what you hear as you play.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely noticed that stuff. I scare fairly easily in games (the light going out when you pick up the cross got me more than it should have), but I think it didn't go too far. In a way, any fear I had from noises and dark rooms I had mirrored my fear of what I would find next in Sam's story, as I powered through both of them to see what happened next.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supertess said:

I noticed that, too. It freaked me out for a microsecond a couple of times. Overall, this game's atmosphere is very creepy, maybe even TOO creepy for what the game is.

I totally agree. Really liked the game but the tonal inconstistency between the story and the atmosphere was quite jarring.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma2ot3sg991rrdvx9o1_400.gif

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hunter5024

There was one part very early on where I turned around to see an open door that I was almost certain I had closed, and just as I looked at it lightning struck. Was this another one of their fake creepy things, or am I just totally fucking stupid and forgot to close the door?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not a brave guy, but i played halfway through Amnesia, and i was about to stop playing this half way through because of the sounds i was hearing, and the tone i was getting.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

There was one part very early on where I turned around to see an open door that I was almost certain I had closed, and just as I looked at it lightning struck. Was this another one of their fake creepy things, or am I just totally fucking stupid and forgot to close the door?

Tough to say. I left all the doors open on purpose to help keep track of where I had already been.Though I suppose if I turned around and saw a bunch of doors closed that I knew I had already opened, I might have shit myself

Avatar image for deactivated-63da6af5022c5
deactivated-63da6af5022c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Walking down the steps to the basement, I definately heard other footsteps. Brilliant.

unequivocable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That damn TV in the family room with the emergency weather broadcast really fucked with me. I could swear I heard talking in the background but I wasn't sure if it was outside my actual house or from the game. I ran in there any turned that off.

Also, had to play this during the day. Even knowing it wasn't about jump scares or ghosts, damn did that house creep me out.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mildmolasses said:

@hunter5024 said:

Tough to say. I left all the doors open on purpose to help keep track of where I had already been.Though I suppose if I turned around and saw a bunch of doors closed that I knew I had already opened, I might have shit myself

Dude yeah. That part convinced me this was going to turn into a horror game any second. I nearly pissed myself.

Gregalor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a bit of a cheat on the game's part, but I think they were trying to replicate how you actually would start misinterpreting noises as footsteps, etc. The only way they can convey that in the game is to actually have the sound of footsteps.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I heard whispers, footsteps and doors creaking. Definitely spooked the shit out of me.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

$20 noises.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

House is old, rickety, has had a previous possibly insane occupant, it's been raining like no tomorrow and you're all alone. I remember visiting my aunt's mansion as a kid and it was creepy as heck with all the cold marble and quiet, dark corridors that lead to who knows where....

Yeah, it's definitely intentionally spooky and if you were in a real house like that you would be creeped out too. Some might not like that it went for that atmosphere but I loved it cause that's how I think I would feel if I were in a place like that. I would totally be hunting for ghosts and shit like Sam and Lornie.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Milkman

I swear to god I heard someone whisper "hey, you" while I was in the basement.

anarchyzombie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That part where you grab the crucifix and the light goes out fucked me up worse than any noises I heard

TheCebass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: I just finished the game a few minutes ago and I did hear that too! When I was looking at the safe in the basement! It creep me out. I actually found this thread in relation to that whisper since it got me curious.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Really late to the party on this game. I just finished it and had to read if anyone else experienced what I had.

I knew beforehand that there was nothing supernatural going on after reading a review, plus as mentioned above you do find an invoice detailing electrical problems.

That said, I most definitely heard other footsteps occur on a few occasions. I too heard the whisper "Hey you" in the basement. It was definitely a girl's voice (Sam?). Lastly, a room I had yet to enter had the lights off, checked another room, came back to it a moment later to discover the light turned on.

I'm convinced these were deliberately placed to plant the idea that you may not be alone in the house.

armedpatriots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too am super late to the party on this game...but man is it great. I probably would have called this my game of the year, had I played it. What a way to introduce characters without ever putting a character on screen. So elegantly done. Can't wait to see Fullbright's next game.

envelope91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By envelope91

I have extracted the sound files from the game asset files and uploaded them in a youtube clip.

The screenshots are taken by me in 3840 x 2400 resolution.

The first sound is a female sigh. It might just come from your character, though. (Filename is "Sigh Female Exhale.ogg")

The second sound is a "Hey, you!". I can't really explain this, but i'm sure there is a logical explanation. (Filename is "WhisperHeyYou.ogg")

The third sound can only be heard in the basement, it sounds like someone is moving around upstairs? The floor in the basement is concrete, so it has to be from upstairs. (Filename is "Floor creaks wood board squeak basement perspective_BLASTWAVEFX_24569.ogg")

The fourth sound is really interesting, you can clearly hear someone dragging or pulling some kind of wooden furniture around. (Filename is (desk_Drag.ogg)

I have boosted the volume of the sounds.

Loading Video...

Thanks for watching!

LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

cool, thanks for posting that!

I was sure I wasn't imagining those sounds.

Great game, awesome atmosphere, looking forward to playing Tacoma