Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Granblue Fantasy: Relink

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Feb 01, 2024

A 3D action-RPG based on the mobile game "Granblue Fantasy" by Cygames.

Platinum making a Granblue Fantasy RPG

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By TheChris

Saw someone post a gameplay trailer for this today, and didn't know it was a thing! Probably because there is no plans for a localization yet, I do hope they do it as it looks pretty rad.

Apparently Uematsu is doing the music composition too so it feels like a match made in heaven.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Get a good Dragon's Dogma feel for the combat, looks more RPG than Dogma. Let's hope it gets a western release!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I was thinkin this looks pretty and pleasant when she was walkin around the town, but then they showed combat and holy shit I want it. Nier: Automata's combat and movement feel so fucking good, so combining that with primary colours = A+.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The battle music intro really got that final fantasy vibe going. Looks really cool, though jrpgs for me are always story first and this didn't show much of that.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yeah it's a project to keep tabs on. I'm also interested it as a mobile developer looking to make the jump to full console level project. Hope it turns out well.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

I remember seeing some alpha footage awhile back, good to see this isn't just vaporware.

Say what you will about Granblue, but that franchise is printing money over there. They even have an English version, though I guess they decided there weren't enough whales to catch here in the states to officially export it over here.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Do I want to see more Platinum style combat in RPG games? Yes.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That looks awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

I enjoyed Nier:Automata's combat with those light RPG elements immensely.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

So, what are the chances of this coming out outside of japan? Maybe even on PC?

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@forcen: the main game doesn't have a proper english release despite being fully translated, you have to play it in a browser. So very low, but who knows, some crazy shit has happened lately

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By imhungry

This looks like a cool thing to check out, though the more important thing probably is a game in this franchise will probably print money for Platinum with sales in Japan to let them keep making games which is always a good thing.

The chain combo of ultimate skills at the end of the boss fight gave me flashbacks to Tales of Symphonia which is always a good thing.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Forcen

@dinosaurcanada: Still, someone over there must be noticing that people really enjoy and buy these platinum games on Steam and on other platforms?

Anyway, I assume there has been no news pointing one way or the other? This will be a normal non-free2play game right? Not some hybrid lootboxy thing?

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mobile properties becoming big budget titles is the kind of development I wanna see too.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

What the hell is a Granblue? (This looks cool, good to see Platinum still getting work)

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: It’s a popular fantasy gacha game in Japan, which is getting a full fledged action rpg title from Platinum now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nice cel-shaded look to it. You could have said this was a new LEVEL-5 RPG and I would 100% believe it. Maybe not so much with the combat actually, it looks too fast and flashy for that.

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Rodin

this looks pretty cool and i'm always up to try new platinum stuff.

My only complaint is that that's not how breastplate should look on a women. but i guess style over function is what matters in games.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Redhotchilimist

Hmm, I dunno. Platinum's adapted a ton of other companies' properties at this point, and I'm not sure if this is Legend of Korra level or Metal Gear Rising level. I'm also not sure what Granblue Fantasy brings to the table. They've got a lot of beautiful designs in the game(the same designer/artist that designed 2B, I believe?), but it's generic stuff, filling a pretty anime traditional fantasy niche that just wasn't occupied by any big JRPG franchise. What I'm saying is, I don't think "Platinum Games makes an okay action RPG with a pretty but generic style" is something that's gonna get me all hype until they show something cooler. I hope it's good, of course, but I'm not expecting it to come out and blow me away yet.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I'm glad Platinum continues to stretch itself and is growing into a more dynamic studio. I was kinda worried after Mikami left and they put out a bunch of watered down licensed character action games and Scalebound got cancelled. But after NieR and now this, I like the developer they seem to be turning into. I don't know anything about this series but I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this one. I just wish they would invest more into their engine. They started off with games like Mad World, Bayonetta, and Vanquish which all looked solid to awesome at the time but when I think about Platinum today, I don't think of good looking games. This one looks decent but it can and should look much better.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Oh wow, that looks great!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#21  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Hey, as long as this game is "Good Platinum" and not quick and dirty mercenary work like Legend of Korra, I'll be more than happy to check it out.

MeesterO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is my first time watching any footage, and to be honest I didn't think they could encorporate the mobile game battle systems into the game so well. My only question is why out of all the non-main story characters they pick Percival for that slot in the trailer.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to be so upset if this doesn't come out in english. I don't know the mobile game and am not really interested, but this just looks fantastic. I love the look of it but THAT COMBAT. The problem I get when I play most ARPG's is that you can feel the studio is rpg first action second. Tales of Berseria is cool but it's mashy, the attacks are sometimes really awkward and the fights are contained in a tiny little arena.

This game I can see the weight of the strikes and the speed and ease of use of the character being played. The video shows a big arena with nice fodder enemies you can react to with dodges and a boss with moves that need to be reacted to faster or learned. Ugh, I hate seeing games that I badly want but not sure if it'll even come out in a language I can read.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Sign me up! Granblue has great style and music, and I at least trust Platinum to make something feel good!

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@forcen: And interest level went from 5 to 100 instantly.

What the Hell even is Granblue, anyway? I just showed up because I saw Platinum in the title. Time to do research, I guess.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen: And interest level went from 5 to 100 instantly.

What the Hell even is Granblue, anyway? I just showed up because I saw Platinum in the title. Time to do research, I guess.

Crazy popular japanese mobile gacha game. Has good art, it has an english like localization for the asian version or something so western players use that.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Yeah I heard the news too! Super excited. :) Guess that means 2019 at the earliest though. Maybe fall at that

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vortextk: I knew about the Japanese-only release, but didn't consider an asian-based English version. Reminds me of finding "Animax", english-asian dubs of anime from torren- I mean completely reputable, legal sources.

Knowing its a "crazy popular... gacha game" explains why I felt like I had heard its name countless times before, even though it's just a mobile game and an anime adaptation (and this). Weird.

I couldn't find any info on whether the story/characters are part of the appeal. I mean, I'm certainly not expecting Nier Automata over here, but it'd be cool if this new game actually had some semblance of plot.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By vortextk

@poobumbutt: UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I bet there's a plot. I bet it's bad? Maybe I'm wrong. I know fans sure like characters and stuff atleast whenever I'd stumble on a reddit or other forum for the game looking up the console game. I doubt their love of the characters extend much past looks, character tone and game function though as a general guess. We'll see. I think I'm going to watch the anime of it because it's short, probably very pretty but complete fantasy anime fluff and might give me an idea of the world and what's going on.

Also, watched Card Captor Sakura with my girlfriend with the Animax dub. Woof. She liked Cardcaptors, a crazily censored and cut up version of the original. The animax version is more or less japanese perfect, with extremely bad acting, a tiny roster of voice actors doing multiple main characters and multiple actor switches(even for the same character). She's not really into subs, unfortunate for the both of us on this one.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By poobumbutt

@vortextk: Okay, so first, that first line made me laugh a good deal, so thanks for that. And you're right, I'm not holding my breath on a mobile-game's lore being deep and intriguing or its characters layered. It was just a hope. But hey, its not like I played Bayo for the story, right?

Second, weirdly enough, I've also been watching Cardcaptor Sakura to catch myself up before watching the Clear Card arc. This is all pretty off-topic, but hoo-boy yes that Animax dub is not great. I tried, like REALLY gave it an honest go because I think voice acting is a fascinating occupation and generally prefer to view and listen in my native language, but... I just couldn't. And yeah, the NA aired version "Cardcaptors" is insulting at best. A Li who doesn't crush on Yukito is not a Li I know. But yeah, I ended up wholesale switching to the subbed version. That ended up being for the better though, as that show's emotionally gripping moments deserve quality, even if I can't understand the language. I'm a huge baby, so I've probably teared up a half dozen times and I'm only halfway through that show. Rainbow of Memories? The Injured Card? Oh, man. That show's pretty kick-ass. Okay... Time to jettison out of this off-topic rambling.

edezaran64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By edezaran64

Heyo, long time lurker here, but since I've spent the better part of two years now playing Granblue Fantasy. Figured I'd try sharing a little of why I'm cautiously optimistic on this release.

Real quick rundown of Granblue Fantasy is kid gets entangled with a mysterious girl who can capture primal beasts. They journey across islands floating in the sky on an airship and gather an ever growing crew (mostly from the gacha machine). Altogether, it's the usual main plot thread is more a glue that sticks together character/location/event stories that are relatively self-contained. From what I've seen of Re:Link, it seems to ditch the main character (typical semi mute player self-insert) for the other characters such as Katalina (Miyuki Sawashiro ❤) shown in the gameplay trailer.

Like others, I would be relatively content if the game just played well. As Platinum is certainly capable of doing. And while I would be okay with a relatively faithful rendition of the world. I do have some hope in that the mobile game has produced some wackier moments, that are in Platinum's wheelhouse I'd say.

From the Deadliest Catch crab(man)boat expedition to the Platinum Sky event featuring a racing event similar to the 2009 Redline film by Madhouse, there's been occasions that Granblue Fantasy has been wacky, but also above most other mobages. Least for me, the recent Persona 5 collaboration stands out. Despite my misgivings overall around P5, Granblue Fantasy was able to recapture some of my appreciation with P5. It did it not only calling back to P5, but also placing the P5 cast with chars from Granblue. The casts interactions especially Morgana and the similar Vyrn from Granblue traveling with their human compatriots while worrying/doubting their true inner nature was the highlight of the event. If nothing else, it was good to get a new Persona-esque song.

Overall I'd say the capability is certainly there, along with the money (Cygames please). If Platinum is able/willing to flourish their usually stellar gameplay with the trappings of Granblue's better moments, I do think at least the game could appeal to both fans of the mobile game and Platinum Games.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@edezaran64: Hm, sounds kinda charming actually. Thanks for the rundown!

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By vortextk

Well fuck. The contract thing seems not to be the worst thing ever if it was mostly done, but the credit/game name being removed? Don't be cancelled...or honestly worse, bad.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

My only complaint is that it looks a little "JRPG generic" for my tastes.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game seems to be shaping up well, it kind of looks like Kingdom Hearts without all the baggage which is okay with me. (I know nothing about Granblue but it cant be more convoluted than KH, surely?)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.