The Lack Of Promethean Weapons In Halo Infinite's Multiplayer Says A Lot About How 343 (And Everyone) Views Halo 4 And 5

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Author's Note: There are spoilers in this blog related to Halo 4 and 5.

Yo, Where Did All The Prometheans Weapons Go?

Where the Hell is all of this shit?
Where the Hell is all of this shit?

It would appear the internet is still buzzing about Halo Infinite's multiplayer. A glance of any video game forum or social media platform will unveil a smattering of largely positive chatter about the game's many modes and customization options. If there is one significant negative talking point, it is the general sense that the multiplayer's progression system still needs some work. That being one of the few complaints is a bit of an accomplishment for 343 when you consider where the franchise was with Halo 4 and 5. While both games were generally well-received by critics and the franchise's most ardent fans, there was a clear sense that both games were chasing after dragons and zeitgeists it had no real hope of catching. This is partly why many people have enjoyed Halo Infinite's rollback of several features and gimmicks from prior Halo games. I understand people are bound to cite the Grapplehook as a "game-changer." Still, I'd argue it is more in line with the identity of what a Halo game plays like than some of the Promethean weapons in Halo 4. As we will discuss shortly, calling Infinite a "return to the basics" is an understatement, and 343 Industries have seriously parred down some of their experiments from previous games.

However, to return to my earlier point, there are only three Promethean/Forerunner weapons in all of Halo Infinite's multiplayer (i.e., the Cindershot, Heatwave, and Sentinel beam). Of these three, only one, the Sentinel beam, has appeared in previous Halo games. With Infinite, 343 have emphasized UNSC and Banished weapons and left the Promethean weapons from 4 and 5 mainly in the dust. Furthermore, I found it slightly funny that when introducing the Cindershot and Heatwave, 343 altogether avoided using the word "Promethean" and instead favored the term "Warrior-Servants" when discussing the original users of said weapons. Likewise, it is incredibly telling that while 343 were happy to bring back icons of the series, the weapons most likely to get axed debuted in Halo 4 and 5. While I think there's a pretty apparent reason for this when discussing Halo Infinite's multiplayer, what this absence could mean for its campaign is anyone's guess.

This leads me to a final admission before we jump into the "meat" of this blog. I am now, and always have been, someone who plays Halo games for their campaigns and single-player modes. I have nothing against Halo's multiplayer and, over the years, have come to appreciate what the franchise has contributed to the gaming landscape in terms of online matchmaking, alternate control schemes, and match customization options. There's also something to be said about the enduring legacy of Halo and the fact it is the last multiplayer shooter of its kind still standing. Simply put, they are not making open-world arena shooters anymore. Not with the unforeseen retirement of Tribes, Unreal Tournament, and even Quake. That said, I remain someone who comes to Halo games for their scripted single-player campaigns and high-budget science fiction storytelling. A lot of this has to do with the Halo franchise being something that caught me at the right time and place when I was young, and I haven't been able to shake it away since. While many people advocate for the multiplayer progression system to be tweaked, I have been sitting here idly twiddling my thumbs for any signs that 343's era of Halo storytelling will be less of a mess.

Explaining The Absence Of Promethean Stuff In The Multiplayer Is Incredibly Clear-Cut

Remember all of the attempts 343 made to make Halo multiplayer faster in 4 and 5?
Remember all of the attempts 343 made to make Halo multiplayer faster in 4 and 5?

Before I attempt to speculate what the axing of Promethean weapons could indicate about Halo Infinite's story, let's discuss their absence in the game's multiplayer. The reason for this is pretty straightforward, as 343's messaging has been the same for a while. Halo Infinite is intended to be a "return to form" after a brief period of experimentation for the franchise. Rather than make all of the speed and item-based mechanics "work" a third time, 343 ditched those ideas in favor of a multiplayer experience that echoed the Bungie-era games. Fuck, remember when one of the first things 343 did to get some skeptics of 4 and 5 back on board was to prove Master Chief's armor in Infinite more closely mimicked his armor in Halo 3? Yeah, that's what they did with the parred-down weapon list in Infinite! They shit-canned a ton of Forerunner energy weapons most people did not like and replaced them with a bunch of slug-based UNSC and Brute/Banished weapons. And if we are being honest, these weapons play better into the stiff but deliberative feel of Halo than the sleek and glass-canon-like weapons of the Prometheans.

From a practical standpoint, I don't think these weapons can work in Halo Infinite unless the movement-based additive and customization mechanics in 4 and 5 return. When you go back and look at the Promethean weapons in Halo 4, you also realize how inconsequential they are in the grand scheme of things. Most were different interpretations of long-standing icons in the series, but in a different shell that allowed 343 to ease people into the many item and weapon-based gimmicks they were selling at the time. Likewise, most of the weapons were never especially well-received from the greater Halo multiplayer community. They certainly looked nice, but by Halo 5, they were a clear indicator that 343 was attempting to chase after the popularity of other multiplayer zeitgeists rather than celebrate the distinctive look and feel of the series. So, if Infinite is an honest attempt to bring back long-time fans, 343 needed to revert to series standbys.

If you ask me, I always felt the Promethean Weapons worked far better in the campaign and Spartan Ops missions than the multiplayer. Most of them worked best when you were down on your luck and had nothing else to use. Ultimately, they were fun last resort options while traversing larger Forerunner-based environments when ammunition for other weapons was hard to come by. And if Infinite isn't going to launch with the single-player campaign and with no indications of a Spartan Ops or Firefight equivalent coming any time soon, why put more on 343's plate than needed? What people are buzzing about right now is only possible if 343 tackle a bite-sized chunk of what is normally included in a Halo game. They needed this game to resonate with Halo fans, both new and old, and that is what happened.

Does This Mean Anything For The Campaign?

I really want to like this campaign more than I do. It looks great and I enjoyed what I saw in the Quick Look.
I really want to like this campaign more than I do. It looks great and I enjoyed what I saw in the Quick Look.

Now we get into the section of this blog that is more speculative. Again, as someone who comes to the Halo games primarily seeking single-player and cooperative experiences, my opinion of the "343 Era" is even more mixed than the multiplayer community's impressions. First, the current state of the Halo canon is a complete mess. Halo 4 and 5 didn't help matters in that both games failed to commit to the "Reclaimer Saga" 343 initially billed as the next big thing for the franchise. With it, we have seen the Forerunner and Prometheans go from being a huge selling point to second-fiddle to remnants of the Covenant as well as the Brutes. The Didact initially appeared to be a possible figurehead for a pivot for the franchise, and then 343 offed him in a less than ten-minute boss battle. Both Halo 4 and 5 struggled to strike an effective balance between providing new enemies or factions as well as doling out fanservice. And the less said about both games struggling to engage in even the most basic worldbuilding and instead relying on computer terminals to explain essential plot points, the better. But the most significant point of failure for the "Reclaimer Saga" continues to be its downright awful attempts to humanize Master Chief. I have always argued 343 should have used Dr. Catherine Halsey as the focal point for an entire game as a massive thorn in Master Chief's side. And yet, 343 completely squandered Halsey as a character after building her up for literal years. It's a fucking mess.

So here we are, with the two most prominent factions in the multiplayer being the UNSC and Banished, a breakaway resistance faction from the Covenant Empire. You also have to consider the larger emphasis on Cortana's "Created" faction. For those who may have forgotten, at the end of Halo 5: Guardians, Cortana founded a collective of rogue A.I. called the "Created," which seek to use the Mantle of Responsibility to take over the galaxy. It's a pretty contrived plot beat, but Halo, even during its "Golden Age," wasn't exactly a bastion of original science-fiction storytelling. Nonetheless, with the campaign demo 343 released, one thing is for certain. The Prometheans and Forerunners are taking a backseat... again. After spending the better part of Halo 4 and 5 building up the return of the Forerunners as a significant plot point, Master Chief is instead going to tango with a Covenant resistance movement and a rampant Cortana. Yet again, 343 responded to negative fan input about their creative decisions in previous Halo games by ditching their experiments and shotgunning new shit to fill in the gaps. This is odd considering the last time 343 invested in supporting media for the Halo franchise was for a trilogy of books called the "Forerunner Saga."

That last point leads me to my most pressing quibble with 343's strategy whenever they make a new game. Often 343 repackage a bunch of enemy types from previous games, give them a new name, and then use characters from these factions to present a bunch of subplots. Besides the lack of creativity, the issue here is that Halos 4 and 5 still have completely unresolved plot threads. 343 have a bad habit of never remaining too married to any of their creative ideas, and that's a concern I have going into Infinite. Even if Halo Infinite's campaign strikes a balance between open-world environments and scripted levels, there's no telling if anything from this game will represent a tangible real-world change for the franchise. And this impacts those of you who seek Halo games for their multiplayer-based experiences as well. There's no telling if any of the current multiplayer mechanics or gimmicks this time around will persist.

Why Single-Player Halo Fans Should Still Wait

God... I really hope this stuff with Cortana actually goes somewhere and is not just a huge red herring or a massive disappointment.
God... I really hope this stuff with Cortana actually goes somewhere and is not just a huge red herring or a massive disappointment.

I forgot to note I'm not opposed to any of the fundamental changes 343 are proposing with what they have shown and released thus far. I'm glad they are trying to shake up the structure of a Halo campaign because I think even die-hards will admit 343 is not equipped to copy the format that Bungie pioneered with earlier games. We know this to be true after two mainline games attempted just that, and the major structural and storytelling issues that entailed were not exactly secrets. However, I don't think for a minute that moving things into an open-world format or adding on a tech tree will absolve 343 of some pretty glaring design and narrative mistakes that they made in Halo 4 and 5. For example, the four missions they have provided to the press don't clarify if 343 will YET AGAIN use terminals to convey fundamental aspects of Infinite's worldbuilding. Also, even if the campaign in Infinite is "perfect," that doesn't change the fact that the franchise is a narrative mess. There are still characters that populate the world of Halo that feel half-baked or still have yet to get their complete character-defining moments.

I hate to say it, but part of me is expecting the Prometheans to make a sudden unwanted re-appearance at the butt-end of Infinite's campaign. It would be the absolute worst thing 343 could do, but it is not outside of the realm of possibility. Nowadays, writing the story for a Halo game seems more like a plate-spinning circus act. With each game, the writer needs to keep five or six plates spinning at all times or otherwise risk them falling to the ground and breaking. Not seeing their perilous position, 343 keeps adding new dishes to their circus act and has no signs of slowing down. My point is I'd like them to relax and reflect on what they have added to the Halo universe rather than keep adding in more shit that they cannot conceivably prevent themselves from breaking. But alas, that's not what people want. People want big guns that shoot eleven laser beams and rip apart Brutes like a hot knife through butter.

All that aside, it is fantastic to see people excited about Halo again. As I mentioned in the first section, Halo is all that remains of a very particular style of FPS campaign and multiplayer design. They simply are not making arena-style multiplayer shooters like they once did, and Halo's level-based shooter puzzles are rarely replicated these days. I know I am guilty of saying "I want this game to succeed" a lot, but I honestly do want Halo Infinite to "work." The diversity of styles of FPS games has taken a pretty dramatic dip in the past ten years. Hopefully, if this game captures even a portion of the series' highs, while also blazing its own path, 343 will finally feel like they can make a Halo game on their terms rather than those demanded of them from unflinching fans. I know portions of this blog might make it seem like I fall into that camp, but the opposite is true. All I wonder is if 343 can finally shake away their indecisiveness and commit to what they pioneer in a game for once, and only time will tell if that is the case. But I swear to fucking God, if two games down the line, the Didact comes back from the dead and leads a group of Prometheans called "Titans," I'm going to fucking die. Mark my words, I'm going to fucking die.

galasonron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Bad take, bad post, do better

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Based purely on the "and everyone" part of the title, here to say that I loved 4 and 5.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@csl316: There was a point, sliding down the side of some giant structure in 5, that I realized I was having a great goddamn time with the campaign for the most part. 4 never really gave me that and I'd put it at the bottom of my little Halo stack, but 5 gets a bit of a bad rap. I imagine in coop it's even better.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely loathed the promethean weapons in Halo MP the boltshot was crazy op in H4 which 343i took an age to fix, the scattershot was frustratingly inconsistent and the binary rifle/incineration cannon were just easy mode. The promethean arsenal was cool to use but very unfun in MP.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeffrud: Yep, I replayed it earlier this year and had an awesome time. Not perfect but very fun. My first playthrough was iffy but I grew to really like its mix of set pieces and fun combat setups

And I loved the speed of the gunplay and movement (more than Infinite so far), and had a fantastic time with Warzone. After an hour you were never short on cards to play. But whatever, I'm glad people are enjoying Halo again this year.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Count me in with the people who think Halo 4 is great. I've enjoyed it more every time I've played it. Sure, the Didact is underutilized and the entire hinges on understanding a rushed infodump from someone you know nothing about, but the set pieces are amazing and everything dealing with Cortana fighting AI dementia and Chief trying to figure out how to deal with it is really compelling.

5 really does suck, though. I mean, gameplay wise it's fine, I guess, but I don't find anything about that game worthwhile.

Still, I'm pretty excited about Infinite. I'd love to comment more... but I'm on a phone.

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrPlatitude

I'd rather fight Prometheans than Covenant again, personally.

(Also, I like 4 and 5)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It’s a series that has been remaking the same exact game for 20 years now and any attempts to stray from the formula have been met with a vocal outcry from the community. The promethean weapons were not in the original Halo, so they have no right to be in any other future Halo.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the release of 4 on PC i was finally able to play it and catch up with this franchise that i feel compelled to experience, mostly because there are people who think the story is phenomenal and that confounds me.
I remember mention of prometheans in the games before 4 but barely anything really, then when you're suddenly knee deep in them no one seems all that surprised, i don't like bad guys who think they are gods because of technology and fighting mindless robots isn't really interesting, it's like you're achieving nothing since they're just manufactured, so that's my promethean experience... underwhelming.
The weapons themselves feel tailored to those specific parts of the campaign, they'd function elsewhere but i spent most of the time running up to prometheans and holding the fire button, besides long range rifles which... Halo already has those, they just do the same job as existing weapons but for fans of lasers.
5 isn't on PC so i don't know if they're different, but i'd be fine never seeing prometheans again, like the rest of the story in Halo there isn't much to them anyway.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What little I remember about the Promethian weapons, and the Promethains in general, was that they weren't very "readable" from a gameplay perspective. Not only did they fail to find a niche not already covered by the Human or Covenant weapons, I always had trouble keeping track of which weapons were which. Is this the silver and orange future weapon that works like an assault rifle, or is this the silver and orange future weapon that works like a sniper rifle? Or is it the one that works like a shotgun? They all kind of looked alike in the moment. Same thing with the enemies. From a distance, I always struggled to figure out whether I was looking at a standard grunt enemy, or one of the tougher, lieutenant enemies.

As far as the story goes, I always thought it would have been far more interesting to just leave out the Promethain stuff altogether. Trying to have both the Promethians and the Cortana angle just split the story's attention so that neither side of it was really developed that well. Personally, I think there was a much more compelling story that focuses just on Cortana and her going nuts. It could have been kind of a good twist if you ended up mostly fighting humans during the campaign. Like, they try to delete Cortana and Chief goes rogue to stop it only to have her go fully crazy and become the villain.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk: Well, Chief does go rogue with Cortana and she goes fully crazy and becomes the villain. That kinda happens exactly.

But having Master Chief shoot good humans wouldn't really make sense for who he is. I'm curious to see if they take the bot AI in Infinite and use it for evil Spartan equivalents, though.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Can't speak for 5 still (put it out on PC, dammit!), but I really liked 4's campaign. I had issues with some broader aspects of the multiplayer, but it was still running on fumes from Reach, and was quite good as a result.

I think you're dead-on about Infinite's MP being an attempt on 343's to get "back to basics", though. I just don't think it's a good idea! Reach MP was such a phenomenal culmination of Bungie's various ideas, and while I appreciate that 343 wants to put their own stamp on the franchise, it's hard to get excited about it when I feel like a previous game already found the best possible version of this series' multiplayer.

Luckily, a "back to basics" Halo MP is still a good time.

Kyary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I basically think you're right. I thought the weapons were cool and fun to use in the singleplayer, but that they were emblematic of a drift towards the more popular style of shooter (and away from Halo's "clunkier" feel). They were probably removed for another reason (that some people have alluded to) - they're from the "bad" Halos, so they had to go.

I never actually finished 5, but I liked 4 well enough. Your point about 343's writing and habit for dangling threads rings true, they just can't seem to tell a story people care about. It's hard to speculate about how the plot will be this time around, but there is at least a confidence I'm seeing in the game that I just didn't feel in 4 and 5. Honestly I think I would tell them to do the opposite of what you suggest though - forget the dangling threads and just tell an interesting story. Treat it as a bottle episode, isolate it from everything else and see if it works out. But that's coming from someone who couldn't care to finish what story was in 5, so maybe I just think that plotline was bad and want to see it over already.

Avatar image for ithas2besaidkvo
ItHas2BeSaidKVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I felt the trouble with the Promethean weapons in 4 and 5 was that you drowned in Suppressors (which were just reskinned assault rifles that I always got rid of as soon as I could because they're only good for up-close spray and pray situations like when the dog-like enemies get up in your grill) and Boltshots (which I naturally assumed would work like a plasma pistol where you could charge it up and strip a Knight's armour in one shot, but that was not the case). I liked the LightRifle as hanging back and engaging people at mid to long range is how I like playing shooters, but then they suffered what most of the weapons in Halo went through since around 3 where they were stingy AF with the amount of ammo you could hold for them (I know that's an intended choice to force you to use a variety of weapons, but it still didn't mean it wasn't annoying). The splash damage on the Rocket Launcher analogue was a bit OP as well (made clearing some of those last enemy situations a pain in the arse when you got one-shotted by a Knight and had to do a section all over again), but I can't lie was pretty handy when you gave them to all of your squad and their infinite ammo when trying to take down the POS Wardens (seriously, why did 343 think adding those sections to 5 was a good idea?).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Justin258

The diversity of styles of FPS games has taken a pretty dramatic dip in the past ten years.

I'd like to comment on this one further.

Halo is a mega-franchise, of course, so none of what I'm about to mention is on the same popularity level. Still, I don't think the genre has ever been more diverse.

Over the past ten years, shooters have been a lot more than just Call of Duty and Far Cry. We've had both Doom games, Metro: Exodus and Last Light, Prey, Deathloop, four Wolfenstein games if Old Blood counts as its own thing, Bioshock Infinite, and Titanfall 2, all of which are at the very least "pretty good" AAA shooters, most of which are genuinely great. We've also had smaller stuff, like Superhot, Dusk, and Amid Evil, while some interesting stuff like Wrath: Aeon of Ruin and Prodeus are in Early Access and have proven themselves pretty fun already. There's also been a handful of notable "FPS adjacent" games, like Dishonored, Alien: Isolation, and Deus Ex HR/MD.

Is that as diverse as the 90's? Eh... maybe not. I feel like there's a lot more here than there was in the 2000's, though, where everything was quickly converging on the "brown and gray" subgenre of slow and barely interactable, spectacle shooters that we got in the late 2000s.

Vorked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, no. Halo 4 had a fantastic story and some of the best character work in the series. While Halo 5 was a step back in that scenario, it had some of the best sandbox work of any video game. My all-time favorite multiplayer game.

The over-correction by 343 is a known one and something they've done for everything they have ever worked on, at this point. It becomes old when entire plotlines are dropped cold-turkey or decisions made overcorrect so badly that they remove 10+ characters.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#17 ZombiePie  Staff

@vorked said:

The over-correction by 343 is a known one and something they've done for everything they have ever worked on, at this point. It becomes old when entire plotlines are dropped cold-turkey or decisions made overcorrect so badly that they remove 10+ characters.

Yeah... this is kind of the point of the blog and the main thesis? the games themselves are good, but 343's habit of over-correcting themselves continues to be a bummer. I would rather they just live with their decisions and learn from them than cut bait. Their stories are only going to get better if they are allowed to do this or, more importantly, allow themselves to do this.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vorked said:

Yeah, no. Halo 4 had a fantastic story and some of the best character work in the series. While Halo 5 was a step back in that scenario, it had some of the best sandbox work of any video game. My all-time favorite multiplayer game.

I thought I was the only one! *virtual high five*

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They were redundant additions to the sandbox in both multiplayer and singleplayer.

antime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had managed to avoid pretty much all coverage of the game, so the Quick Look was my first real exposure to it. When Jeff said that the enemy were some breakaway Covenant faction, my reactions were 1) ugh, how lame, and 2) of course it is.

John Halo and the Covenant are the safe choices. For people who don't spend a lot of time thinking about Halo except when a new one is released, they're familiar and comforting, they don't want Nathan Drake and strange glowy aliens. So as long as 343 will keep pumping out Halo games, they will find new reasons for you to shoot Covenants. They have no other choice.

Zeepzorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zeepzorp

@mrplatitude: Why not have Halo go back to its roots and fight insurrectionists? Or more interesting, fighting against the UNSC as rebels. The final boss can be a team of Spartans