Graphical Hubbub

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JasonMasters

Apparently there is something going on with the graphic in the Redux version. People are complaining that it actually looks worse than the original. Missing particle effects, lighting, etc.

Has anyone experienced this? I only spent a few minutes playing it and didn't really notice much of a difference.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yeah there is some videos on youtube showing that the game does in fact look worse.

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carryboy: Welp, that's a bummer. While I don't mind that I already gave them $3 it is still kind of absurd.

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Flying Wild Hog came out and explained what the dealio is. PCGamer has a decent breakdown of it here, but essentially a number of lighting and post-processing systems were baked-in in the original release, and they've since been converted to dynamic systems in the team's new engine. As a result, performance has seen a huge increase (up to 3x FPS in parts, apparently), but some visuals have appeared to take a hit. Other stuff seems to be more of stylistic changes that people aren't agreeing with.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#5  Edited By extintor

I have a hugely overpowered system relative to the system specs stated on Steam but it wouldn't even launch for me. After several hours of unsuccessful troubleshooting I got a refund. Is this version of the game coming to console? I might pick it up on Xbox or something... especially if it is no graphical beast?

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

I think a lot of the change is stylistic. Effects aren't missing, they are mainly just altered. It's a stylistic change. The removal of the sharpening filter, though, is a huge improvement in my mind. I recall the aliasing in the original game being quite distracting, but the Redux version has no noticeable aliasing whatsoever. So while they removed the option for MLAA, their current FXAA solution works perfectly. There might be some texture bluring going on as I did notice some oddly blurry texture work, but if people want they can use their graphic's card's control panel to force MSAA or SSAA. I can confirm that the game runs far, far better than it did before. In the original version I rarely could hit 60 fps, and framerates occasionally tumbled to below 30 fps. In this version the game ran at 60 fps from beginning to the point I am at (just beat the big robot statue). And that was fully maxed out and downsampling the game using Nvidia's built in downsampling options. So really solid improvement visually.

The addition of the dash move does make the game much easier. Parts that took me a dozen tries the first time around I am getting through in a single try with full health to boot. So anyone who liked the difficulty of the original should start on the hardest difficulty.