Is anyone else enjoying Heaven's Vault, or is it just me?

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This feels like one of those adventure games that'll slip straight under the radar, but Heaven's Vault is really fascinating. It's got some rough bits (although a fast travel patch just smoothed some of those out), but the main plot and the translation mechanic are both fantastic. There also appears to be a significant variance in how your playthrough can go based on what decisions you make, although this is never communicated especially clearly. Perhaps that's thematic, though, as a lack of clear communication is pretty core to the entire concept.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

This is on my radar and I plan to get it soon.

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finished the game for the first time last night and can honestly say it's one of my favourite games ever. Maybe the best of its type.

I don't think I've ever played a narrative given game with a scope as large and compelling as this one. On the Steam discussion boards the developers have posted a heavily spoiler-filled list of 10 questions to try to answer after you have finished the game. I felt I had a good grasp on all the subjects when playing the game, but clearly there is a lot I didn't see.

I'm surprised that it has barely been mentioned here at all. Abby mentioned it briefly on the Beastcast last week, but doesn't seem to have got back to it this week. It doesn't surprise me that she hasn't completed the game in that time, as in hindsight the game is intimidatingly long. But I do get the feeling that this game will be in my list of "This will either be completely ignored or force its way into the top 10/GOTY categories" games along with Dujanah, Paratopic and The Hex.

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope nobody thinks you're being hyperbolic, because I agree. I just beat the game for the third time, myself; it's that good. And engrossing. I just started a fourth playthrough and busted out a pad of graph paper to establish not one, but two dictionaries. This thing is alternately spooky, fascinating, beautiful, nostalgic, but occasionally frustrating; the possibility space is wide and their internal testing didn't really account for every permutation, although they're pushing patches regularly.

At any rate, this thing is already alongside Fez and Riven in my adventure game pantheon. I hope it gets more attention.

Avatar image for lobster_johnson
lobster_johnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been playing this for the past couple of weeks and finished it last night. I enjoyed it very much, despite a few nitpicks. However...

Most of the mysteries in the game remain mysteries. I know it's meant to be played multiple times to discover everything but the slower pace of this game, that I actively appreciated the first time around, just seems like it'd start to grate on subsequent playthroughs. I've been to the Steam discussion forum, and some people there talk about having played it six or seven times. My playthrough took 23.7 hours. Am I really going to have to put 100+ hours into this thing to unlock all of its secrets? I'm considering just hitting the wiki/Youtube instead of starting a new game+. How has anyone else here found they enjoyed it after their first run?