Hows the game on standard ps4 / normal HD tv?

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As title? With everyone saying how great this is on a pro and 4k tv, its put me off buying the game. However after reading up on the game and the praise its getting, I am considering getting it. Would love to know what people are thinking :)

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The benchmarks i saw had it running just as steady as tge pro version, and minus resolution it looked pretty damn good. Haven't played myself though

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By rethla

4k TV doesnt matter, cant say how it runs/looks on standard PS4 however.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It looks great and runs super smooth. Nothing to worry about here

anden4300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't noticed any issues the first 15 hours of the game. It looks, plays and feels great on the original PS4

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It looks fine, it runs fine. I certainly don't think the difference could possibly be stark enough to jump for both a 4K and Pro just to have it look slightly nicer.

Just my 2c.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Still the best looking game ever

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Just started it on my reg PS4 and 1080p tv and it looks amazing and runs great. Really cool game so far.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By MachoFantastico

I to had this fear before purchasing, have a standard PS4 on a 1080p HDTV. Thankfully I can happily say that Horizon is one of the best looking games out there. Don't think I've ever used a Photo Mode as much as I have in Horizon. If you don't have a 4K TV, the pro doesn't justify the price in my opinion. I can confirm that Horizon looks spectacular no matter how you play it. The lighting in particular is breathtaking throughout.

If I were to be especially picky, I'd say that framerate drops can occur in super intense battles but no where near bad enough that it affects gameplay. Not sure if this is the same for the Pro version. I've loved every minute of it so far.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I watched my brother play chunks of it on my standard slim PS4 and it runs at a very smooth 30FPS. If you're interested in this game and you're holding off because you don't know how well it runs on a standard PS4, don't hold off anymore, go get it. Performance is not an issue here.

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you all ?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By RonGalaxy

It looks good and runs well. I think the draw distance leaves something to be desired, but I don't think the ps4pro fixes that.

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No complaints on my end. I know a PS4 pro and a 4K tv so I often opt for the performance over resolution option on any game that offers it. Buy it. So good.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rethla

@machofantastico: On the pro you can run it in "focus performance mode" which eliminates frameratedrops or you can run it in "focus resolution mode" which adds better anti aliasing. Both those modes features some small graphical upgrades over standard PS4 but you probably wouldnt be able to tell them apart unless you watch them side by side.

Heres an great in depth video if you wanna see how it looks and run before you buy. Spoilerfree.

Loading Video...

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Trilogy

Gorgeous game with a pretty solid 30fps. Only once or twice in my 50 hours with the game did it drop under heavy load. All in all its probably the second best looking game I've seen behind Witcher 3 on PC. I can only imagine Horizon on PC with all the settings turned up and buttery smooth 60+. Anyway, I definitely recommend it.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Game looks and runs great, but sometimes the loading after fast traveling is brutal. I don't know if the Pro makes that any faster though.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's great and fine on my PS4 Slim and old 1080p tv.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM

That's what I'm playing on, and it's superb. It's one of the most beautiful open world games to date. It's probably (maybe definitely) the best-looking console open world game to date. I can really only imagine that The Witcher 3 at max settings on PC is perhaps better. As for the game itself, I am loving it. The more I play, the more I love it honestly, at least when I've been exploring and then get the chance to use new weapons and what have you. There's no loading other than when you die or fast travel. There aren't many frame rate hiccups, and where there has been it was negligible and only happened for a second. The thing I will say however is that as beautiful the game looks, and the faces as well look amazing in detail, the animations look pretty odd most of the time, and the head movement doesn't match the expression on the face; it just looks a bit too robotic. The sound design is exceptional as well with movie-quality sound effects, and a really good soundtrack (quiet moments are often better than the more action-oriented tracks, but the action ones are good too), but not every voice you hear will be great. Sometimes it sounds like a non-English speaker is trying their very best to have an American English accent, and yet there are one or two words in there that slip that isn't pronounced correctly. That's beside the point that the voices just aren't on par with the rest of the sound design. It's not very detracting of the experience, but it's not the highlight of the sound design.

marzz4967

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing it on my (gold) PS4.

It runs solid. I've seen exactly one instance of frame-drop, and that was while I was moving very quickly through a lot of areas while a lot of enemies were chasing me. Apologies for being vague, don't want to spoil anything. But, it's not something you'll see often, if at all.

It's a breathtakingly gorgeous game, even on a standard PS4. You'll love it.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

It looks outstanding on a normal PS4 and a 1080p TV.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ripelivejam

neither here nor there, but i'm curious what happens when you try to play an hd console on an sd tv? (there appear to be composite adapters for the ps4) would it accomodate? would it be like dead rising where you can't read the text? just a blank screen telling you, "naw"? i've always been curious and don't have a tube tv anymore to test it out on.

it would be funny running a graphical showcase like horizon at 480p.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I'm mostly a PC gamer and Horizon looks absolutely incredible on a standard PS4 at 1080p. Runs at a solid 30 too.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

neither here nor there, but i'm curious what happens when you try to play an hd console on an sd tv? (there appear to be composite adapters for the ps4) would it accomodate? would it be like dead rising where you can't read the text? just a blank screen telling you, "naw"? i've always been curious and don't have a tube tv anymore to test it out on.

it would be funny running a graphical showcase like horizon at 480p.

The main problem with gaming on those old TVs is not the resolution but the poor quality of cable, 480P can still look nice and sharp depending on your screen size and how far away you are

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well you weren't joking. Just two hours in and its gorgeous. This and zelda will keep me busy for a long time! ☺

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well you weren't joking. Just two hours in and its gorgeous. This and zelda will keep me busy for a long time! ☺

Just wait until you get to some areas deeper into the game. It looks ridiculous.

MasterSwanny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easily the best looking and best performing game I've played. Initial/fast travel times are slow but other than that its great.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes skin looks a little too doll-like, too smooth for my tastes and wet skin and clothes are a bit shiny. Other than that, I think the game looks fine. This is the type of game I wish came out on the PC so I could run it through something beefier than the PS4 (standard), but it's also the reason I still have my PS4, so I can't really complain. Sony's doin' their job.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By maxszy

Get the game. Hands down. Don't worry about it and don't over analyze it. The game is great in 1080P on a regular system.

I'm playing on a PS4 Slim and have rarely run into any framerate issues and the couple times I've noticed something its truly been very minimal and only lasted a second or so.

The game is absolutely gorgeous. Yes I am sure the 4K version so to speak looks even better but honestly, I think not playing the game is you missing something, I would worry about having a "subpar" experience by not playing on the PRO or a 4k TV.

As title? With everyone saying how great this is on a pro and 4k tv, its put me off buying the game. However after reading up on the game and the praise its getting, I am considering getting it. Would love to know what people are thinking :)

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great!

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's amazing, both looking and playing. I will admit that young Aloy freaked me out, but once it got beyond that i was super happy.

Avatar image for chrisndonnaplay
ChrisNDonnaPlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm currently playing on a 55" in 1080P and on the original Playstation4. It looks amazing, and I've been wanting to invest and get the Playstation pro since I have a 55" 4K TV as well but it's honestly still an absolutely breathtaking game. I'm one for loving the complex scenery in games, I'm currently in school for Video Game development so knowing what went into mapping out the game, rendering the scenes and making it to where you see Aloys reactions as if she were a real live human being is absolutely astounding to me. Sure, the game probably looks even cooler on a 4K TV and the PS pro since the resolution is roughly 3.7x that of 1080P but it's still an absolutely gorgeous game otherwise and I do not believe it's a necessity to hold off just to experience it in that degree. But, if you insist on experiencing a game at it's full potential than be my guest, but all in all this game is incredible.