HTC has announced a wireless upgrade kit for the Vive, made by TPCAST

bluemorning104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This article says that they're planning to release it in early 2017, pre-orders are up now on the Chinese Vive website for 1,499 RMB or $220 USD.

What do you guys think? They have a video in the article demonstrating it, but I think it's too short and the monitor's not close enough to be able to tell if there's latency or not. I still haven't decided whether $220 is steep or not either.

Avatar image for rocketblast0063
rocketblast0063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...What do you guys think? They have a video in the article demonstrating it, but I think it's too short and the monitor's not close enough to be able to tell if there's latency or not. I still haven't decided whether $220 is steep or not either.

It's hard to comment on the quality of the product - how it will work in reality - but it should work fine, it's not a super complex thing to do. Assuming it works fine, I think this is great, (all those) cables looks like a hassle - it limits the freedom of movement. To me wireless felt like something they should have done from the beginning.

About the price - depends on how you (in this case I) look at it. $220 is very expensive for something that should have been included. On the other hand, if you already have invested in a Vive and want to get rid of those cables in a neat way, without building battery backpacks and what not, $220 is a deal.

I don't own a Vive because I don't feel it's worth the money as of today. I am however interested in VR and think that it's pretty darn cool and that it can be useful in the future, both in games and in tools.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Pretty cool, but I dunno. I'm no wireless expert, so I don't know what interference would do to this product, both in video and more importantly, headtracking - but, even at a Microsoft Corporate Office, I could see artifacting and frame skipping as they demo'ed Surface Pro to Surface Hub screen mirroring.

And even if it does work perfectly, unless I already had a Vive, I'd just wait for it to be built in.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't think I'll bother with it. Unless the battery in the thing lasts as long as the batteries in the controllers it's useless, the cable is not a real issue to me, and there's bound to be at least a little latency. I'll certainly not bother with the first revision of the thing.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care too much for it being an aftermarket accessory. Unless there's some nasty patents somewhere I want to see everyone trying to solve this nut as it would probably lead to better video compression and wireless speeds.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like something that would come with the eventual 3rd or 4th revision of the hardware when component costs are cheaper.

Assuming it works, thats really cool.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Neato. Don't have a real issue with the wires, though. I know many do, which is why the product was made.