Which Of The 3 Main id Software Series Is Your Favourite?

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

Poll Which Of The 3 Main id Software Series Is Your Favourite? (244 votes)

Wolfenstein - Killing Nazis is my business and business is good 19%
Doom - I survived hell and I keep coming back for more! 67%
Quake - Rocket jump extraordinaire since 1996 13%

As a PC purist, I adore all these three gaming franchises from id Software. Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake may have their ups and downs over the years but you can't deny the sheer impact they have made into the lives of gamers. I'm proud to say I have played every game these franchises have to offer; from Wolfenstein 3-D to last year's release of DOOM. To choose a favourite series is not an easy task. It's like asking who's your favourite child (and in this case, grandchildren even!).

No Caption Provided

After channeling through my highly-sophisticated filtering funnel, I've reached to the conclusion that Quake is my favourite series. The original 1996 Quake was my first introduction to First-Person Shooter and despite its linear design, the game still holds up to this day as a five star status. I originally wasn't a fan of the direction Quake had gone from being a Lovecraftian-Industrial hybrid to a generic Strogg space-shooter but the concept has since grown on me. Quake 4 is another game I enjoy playing with its mindless shooter concept, military jargon and in-your-face action. I seem to have both Quake 1 and Quake 4 installed on my PC and Mac every time. Talk about being a fanboy.

Having said all this, I unfortunately am not the biggest fan of online play but more of a single player kinda guy. That means I did not play Quake III, Quake Live, and Enemy Territory as much as I ought to. It was just not my thing at the time but as time went on, I've since developed a great taste for multiplayer and I cannot wait for Quake Champions.

Now it's your turn to tell us your favourite. Feel free to elaborate. Cheers!

• 
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Doom. I have played and finished all of the main entries more than once.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 46

Don't forget Rage! Haha, but seriously I really liked Rage, but DOOM is my favorite. The gameplay is awesome and still holds up for the 1st two games. DOOM from last year was soooooo good.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't forget Rage! Haha, but seriously I really liked Rage, but DOOM is my favorite. The gameplay is awesome and still holds up for the 1st two games. DOOM from last year was soooooo good.

Unless Rage gets a sequel, I will not include it in this poll just yet. But yes, Rage is pretty solid.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Commander Keen...

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I was never a huge fan of original Wolfenstein, but every iteration since I've absolutely loved. Return to Castle Wolfenstein was my absolute favorite. Normally I don't care for multiplayer, but that was beyond fun, especially with the flamethrower.

Hell, I even liked the one on 360.

I liked the first two Quakes, and I like Doom 1, 2, and expansions, but never quite as much.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Definatly Wolfenstien. Not fond of the other two.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definatly Wolfenstien. Not fond of the other two.

Fair enough. May I ask which Wolfenstein do you particularly enjoy?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psykhophear: Return to Castle Wolfenstien and The New Order are my favorites.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent choices. Wolfenstein 2009 is also pretty good too. I used to play it numerous of times when it first came out.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wolfenstein and its only because the last game. Got no interest at all in the other ID games.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#11  Edited By isomeri

It would have been Quake before the release of last years' DOOM. I played loads of Quake 3 Arena back in the day and Quake was the first FPS I ever played, on my dads' work PC. But that new DOOM is just so good!

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psykhophear: yeah that one wasn't bad. That and enemy territory are the only other two I've played.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By TobbRobb

My favorite game is Quake 3 by far, but it's also the only Quake I have any real fondness for. I like Doom 1,2 and 2016 a lot so in theory that should just win by having more games I like. But Quaaaake 3 thooooooough.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BrunoTheThird

Original Doom is just classic, of course. The PSX version I prefer, as it has a better soundtrack than other ones I believe. Not sure if that soundtrack eventually became the standard on newer versions, but it's the best.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is the first Wolfenstein I have proper memories of and I liked it, but the campaign wasn't anything that amazing. Online gaming just wasn't a thing for me at that point either, so I never really tried the praised multiplayer. I got the 2009 Wolfenstein for cheap a few years ago, but never dug too deep into it. But The New Order I was hyped for since it's reveal trailer and it even managed to exceed my hype. I really hope Machine Games has been working on a sequel all this time.

I think Quake was the first ID game that I played on my own PC. It was a fun experience and obviously the graphics were a big deal back then, but it doesn't hold a special place in my heart. My friend bought Quake 2 and I recall we played through the whole thing through during a weekend or so and it was great. Quake 3 Arena I just played against bots 'till Unreal Tournament absolutely crushed it, at least in my case. Quake 4, uh...only ever played the demo of it and I know of the whole "turning you into a Strogg" sequence, which I guess was the only highlight of that thing.

I can't recall when was the first time I played Doom. It definitely wasn't around it's release year and even when I played it, I'm pretty sure it was on someone else's pc. I think I had played a few other shooters by then already, so it didn't blow my mind to bits. Doom 3 I remember looking amazing, but the game itself really wasn't anything special. Doom (4) finally knocked it out of the park, though!

Wolfenstein still takes the cake, though, because I just like the story and world of The New Order more, even if the new Doom puts up a good fight with it's tongue-in-cheek writing.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots said:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is the first Wolfenstein I have proper memories of and I liked it, but the campaign wasn't anything that amazing. Online gaming just wasn't a thing for me at that point either, so I never really tried the praised multiplayer. I got the 2009 Wolfenstein for cheap a few years ago, but never dug too deep into it. But The New Order I was hyped for since it's reveal trailer and it even managed to exceed my hype. I really hope Machine Games has been working on a sequel all this time.

I think Quake was the first ID game that I played on my own PC. It was a fun experience and obviously the graphics were a big deal back then, but it doesn't hold a special place in my heart. My friend bought Quake 2 and I recall we played through the whole thing through during a weekend or so and it was great. Quake 3 Arena I just played against bots 'till Unreal Tournament absolutely crushed it, at least in my case. Quake 4, uh...only ever played the demo of it and I know of the whole "turning you into a Strogg" sequence, which I guess was the only highlight of that thing.

I can't recall when was the first time I played Doom. It definitely wasn't around it's release year and even when I played it, I'm pretty sure it was on someone else's pc. I think I had played a few other shooters by then already, so it didn't blow my mind to bits. Doom 3 I remember looking amazing, but the game itself really wasn't anything special. Doom (4) finally knocked it out of the park, though!

Wolfenstein still takes the cake, though, because I just like the story and world of The New Order more, even if the new Doom puts up a good fight with it's tongue-in-cheek writing.

I'm replaying Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I think it's the only one in the series I haven't finished yet.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WheresDerrick

@frodobaggins said:

So non-id developed games then :P

Doom is simply the best. Doom, Doom II, Doom 64, Doom 3 and RoE (love it or hate it), and new Doom as well as the mobile Doom RPG's are all solid games. The other two series have had middling game releases at some point, while Doom has always remained quality.

Wolfenstein 3D was a great base while Doom revolutionized and fine tuned the concepts and gameplay and introduced deathmatch. Quake was great, but it was essentially just Doom with polygons and an ode to the color brown and some minor improvements overall, but it hasn't held up as well as Doom.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread just made me realize the last id game I played was Quake 2. I spent a lot more time with Doom 1 and 2 though. I really ought to get around to last year's Doom.

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DOOM by a landslide

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I am not super into id properties, I would say that Doom would be my top.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

doom, it got me into pc gaming... where i had to beg my parents to buy me that expensive 25mhz 486 so I could play games like it on MS DOS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've only ever played the reboots of Doom and Wolf (didn't play PC games growing up). I (shamefully) haven't beaten either of them.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

The only game I've played is Doom (2016) and I enjoyed it, so let's go with that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'd say Quake. I love the original DOOM, I think DOOM II is great but a step down, DOOM III isn't anything special, and I didn't really enjoy the new DOOM very much. Can't say I have played much of Wolfenstein 3D, I like Return though.

But I love Quake 1-3. 4 is the only one I don't care for.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wheresderrick: I have no idea who developed them. I haven't enjoyed a single doom game so my answer still stands.

saturn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted Doom, I also love Rage and Wolfenstein, especially the 3D one and New Order.

Quake always had a thorn in my side, the first game was technically advanced when it came but I never got the feeling of fun that Wolf. and Doom gave me. It was just brown, brown, brown and felt kind of uninspired, most of the enemies I encountered made me say to myself "What the heck is that suppose to be?". I respect what it did for online gaming but I never was a pvp-player so for me that had no real point. Quake 2 just felt weird, guns felt strange to fire, enemies reacted and moved very awkward and most of all, by then I realized how much I really wanted a Doom 3 instead.
The rest of the Quake-series was just multiplayer and that was just as well, I never wanted any more of it anyway.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By OurSin_360

I don't know, i've never really beaten any of them i don't think. I played wolfenstein wayy back but not much, same with the original doom. Only played quake a few times and it was cool.

I played and enjoyed the new wolfenstein and doom(not sure if wolfenstein is id still?) but never finished either of those as well. I guess the games are cool but nothing they've made yet has inspired me to finish it. Also like rage a lot beside the racing stuff, but it fits the same cycle as the rest.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Doom, and in particular Doom 3. I haven't played the newest Doom yet though, so I might like that more. Doom was never about the speed or "Metal" to me, it was always about the atmosphere, so I creeped around in Doom 1 and 2 soaking it all in, and was pleasantly surprised when Doom 3 made the creepiness and slower style of play the focus.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wheresderrick: I have no idea who developed them. I haven't enjoyed a single doom game so my answer still stands.

Gray Matter made Return to Castle Wolfenstein; before that, they were known as Xatrix, and the two most notable games from this period are Redneck Rampage and Kingpin: Life of Crime

After RtCW, they made an expansion to the first CoD, and after this they became Treyarch

New Order/Old Blood were made by Machinegames, a group of developers from Starbreeze; the founders all worked on Riddick: Butcher Bay and The Darkness. It definitely shows in their Wolf games.

I'm also in no way critiquing your choices at all, just found it humorous your favorite id franchise games weren't made by id themselves.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 2009 Wolfenstein is where my interest in id games begins and ends.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I wasn't much of a PC gamer until Half-Life 2 came out, I feel unqualified to pick. I've messed around with Quake here and there, and I played a little bit of a freeware version of Doom. Mostly my experience is with Wolfenstein, so that's what I'll go with. I actually liked Return to Castle Wolfenstein on the original Xbox of all things, and The New Order is one of the best fps I've ever played. I've played Doom (2016) also, but I prefer TNO.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By SamanthaK

I freakin love Wolfenstein but Doom is my favorite one.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Commander Keen

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Quake has always been the series that had me coming back. I'm simultaneously excited and anxious about the new one they're doing. Quake 1 had what I thought was the most satisfying rocket launcher, but the real most satisfying thing about Quake 1 was getting maxed out on lightning gun ammo and having someone chase you into a pool of water where you then discharge the lightning gun and both kill yourself and him. :)

Let's not forget the mods. I adored playing the original Quake Team Fortress and Headhunters mods.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#35  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Only one of these three series has actually had games made by id software themselves in the last 15 years, and it's not Wolfenstein or Quake.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Heretic.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heretic.

That's technically a Raven Software game but yes, Heretic is brilliant. I hope the series gets resurrected in the near future.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom for the campaigns and Quake for the multiplayer. It's impossible to choose between the two. It's like choosing between food and friendship.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Marcsman

Been hooked on Doom since the PSOne

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't choose. I CAN'T CHOOSE!

beanswater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Quake - I loved Q1 and QuakeWorld was my first real online multiplayer. I still love Quake 2 even though I can see it's flaws more clearly. Quake 3 was great, though I don't think I played that much of it. We were lucky enough to have two PCs when that came out or shortly after so I played with my older brother sometimes. Our house was out in the boonies though, so dial up didn't cut it for online. It didn't for QuakeWorld either but it was magic at the time.

The Doom series I've played mostly in the last few years through Brutal Doom (which is amazing, you should definitely try it if you haven't) but deep down Quake is always what comes to mind.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was never a huge fan of original Wolfenstein, but every iteration since I've absolutely loved. Return to Castle Wolfenstein was my absolute favorite. Normally I don't care for multiplayer, but that was beyond fun, especially with the flamethrower.

Hell, I even liked the one on 360.

I liked the first two Quakes, and I like Doom 1, 2, and expansions, but never quite as much.

Curious, did you play Wolfenstein 3D when it was new, or before other, better FPS's came out?

I loved the hell out of it, but it was one of the first FPS's I ever played (maybe THE first, except possibly Ultima Underground... I forget), had the "adult" themes and violence that any 12 year old boy would drool over, and actually had great sound and voice samples for the first time that I knew of. I'll never forget the sound of the SS dudes yelling "Schweinhund!", and then "Mein Leiben!" when they died. It's where I learned to speak German at a toddler level, after all!

But if I had played it after Doom, I would have been quite disappointed I think... I would've played through it and liked it, but the leaps in technology and game design were SO BIG back then that it was hard to go back very far without it seeming like I should be using a wooly mammoth as my shower each morning (Flintstones reference, FTW!)

TakyonDG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DOOM for sure! Some of my earliest gaming memories are of classic shareware Doom. Quake never got its hooks in me, but I was probably too young. I remember Unreal Tournament being the first multiplayer-centric game I got really into. Also Tribes 2. So much Tribes...

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PurplePartyRobot

Quake, because Quake 3 Arena sucked up countless hours of my life.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I wish I liked Doom 4 more than I do, I actually had more fun playing Quake 4 when it came out. Doom 3 too. (I know i'm a monster) That last Wolfenstein was solid. I'll go with that.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BojackHorseman

Rage, obviously.

No but seriously though, it's the only one I've completed. Never had a connection to the other series, as they were big before my time in gaming. Yeah, I'm a 90's kid. Early 90's though, if that makes it any better.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BojackHorseman

Commander Keen

That's riiiight, always forget that id developed those games. I fucking luuuuv Commander Keen though. One of my first experiences with gaming.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombievac: To be honest, I don't remember. I know that I liked Wolf-3D, it just didn't do quite that much. I had tons of fun with the mods though. Street Figter Wolfenstein and Nightmare3D were two favorites.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I like Rage better than anything else they have made. The New Order wasn't them and it is the only Wolfenstein game I have played since Return To Castle Wolfenstein which I did not like too much.