I miss the Amico and really wish it had come out

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By bigsocrates

The Intellivision Amico lives on as a project in a zombie state but it is, for all real intents and purposes, a dead idea. Many will argue that it was dead upon announcement; the idea of a follow up to a long moribund brand that sought to compete in the console space by positioning itself as a more expensive Ouya with a weird controller and a lot of hoops to go through to get games onto the platform. I agree it never had the ingredients for any kind of market success, but it was funded with well over $10,000,000, which is enough to put a product out into the market (as the Ouya showed) and I thought we would at least get to see it released and people check it out and review it. That a console is a bad idea has not been a bar to its release in the past, though most of those releases like the Apple Pippin and the PCFX had deep corporate pockets behind them. I had hoped that the Amico would come to market and take its rightful place as an oddity beside the Matel Hyperscan and the Amiga CD32. Instead it turned out to be another piece of vaporware, like the Phantom.

I'm old enough to have grown up at a time when the console race was not solidified into 3 major players as it has been for the last 20 years. I remember seeing the 3DO and the CD-I in stores. I remember the release of the PlayStation and the buzz of confused anticipation at Sony entering the game market to go up against then titans Nintendo and Sega. I remember when different consoles really were different with strengths and weaknesses that don't really exist anymore (the PS5 is slightly better than the Xbox at some things and slightly worse at others but it's hard to tell much of a difference, and the Switch is just weaker at everything.) like the PS1 being better at 3D and the Saturn excelling at 3D. That's part of why I ought both PSVR headsets; because they reminded me of weirdo add ons I never had like the Sega CD and the 32X.

The Amico stimulated the part of my brain focused on those things and excited me in a way that pretty much nothing in gaming does anymore. Gaming has gotten so corporate and standardized that its lost a lot of the weirdness it used to have. Even Nintendo has mostly given up on gimmicks, with motion controls mostly being optional and implemented in logical ways. The Amico was going to be different. It was going to have screens on the controllers with no face buttons. It was going to allow you to use a cell phone as a controller for action games in a way that obviously was never going to work well. It was ambitious in all the wrong ways while being underpowered and completely superfluous in the market. It boasted of having half a dozen "pack in" games (despite having no physical media) like a virtual version of Farkle, as if it was still 1992 and there weren't ubiquitous free games on every single platform. You probably have better free games than Farkle available on your TV at this point. Every console has access to free to play juggernauts like Apex Legends and Fortnight, and various weekly sales where you can pick up amazing indie and even AAA games for pocket change. Games are astonishingly cheap these days. Right now on Xbox you can pick up Pankapu for under $2.50. That may or may not be your cup of tea but it's probably a better version of what the Amico was offering for less than the cost of a coffee and they were trying to sell a now $300 console by packing in 6 of these things while Xbox and PlayStation are offering pack ins like Forza Horizon 5 or God of War Ragnarok. It was mind blowing.

Meanwhile the level of shenanigans were also pretty incredible. From running multiple crowd funding campaigns with absolutely awful investment terms (I actually feel bad those happened because people got bilked out of real money) to selling boxed copies of digital only games with neither hardware nor software ready to go (included as an unencrypted RFID card in the box) to declaring each game license was an NFT with no apparent plan on how to implement that nor any thought about what a bad idea that was in a console pitched as family friendly. The console was often touted on the things it wouldn't have, including T and above rated game, DLC and Microtransactions, and games with 3D gameplay (something that even the Super Nintendo and Genesis had.) All of those things that the market has shown that gamers want and will buy, and more importantly that developers need as tools to maintain profitability. The system had LED lighting to go along with your games, which seems like something that would be fun for about 30 seconds and then extremely annoying from that point onwards. It was fascinating how they managed to pile bad ideas on top of each other like a Jenga tower of stupidity until it all came crashing down.

I just wish it had come out. I wish units existed in the wild so we could marvel at the crappy software lineup in the same way we look at Plumbers Don't Wear Ties all these years later. I would have loved to pick one up for like $50 just to experience playing Finnigan Fox (a reskinned version of the platformer Fox 'N Forests) with that weirdo controller. I did my best to approximate the experience by playing both Fox 'N Forests and Rigid Force Redux on the normal consoles I have, but stripped of their Amico context they are both just pretty average indie games mostly notable because they have already faded in the background on the consoles they were released on and yet someone was trying to launch a new machine with them as prominent games. At least when Sega tried to launch the 32X with a bunch of ports of old games they were best in class versions of pre-eminent enormous hits like Space Harrier and Mortal Kombat II. This is like if someone tried to launch a console based on having a version of Aero the Acrobat or Clay Fighter. All filler no killer.

Alas what did the Amico in was not its horrible ideas or even what appears to have been pretty bad execution but a combination of grift and incompetence. The company opened a bunch of expensive offices despite having no revenue stream, hired a large number of employees, and generally ran as if it were a new iteration of a megacorp like Sony or Microsoft launching their debut consoles rather than an independent company with limited funding. $17,000,000 is a lot of money but it's not ALL the money, and unlike Microsoft it couldn't afford to lose billions of dollars to break into the games market. They spent money that should have been dedicated to finalizing hardware and getting it manufactured on renting commercial real estate in sweetheart deals with company executives and buying an advertising slot on E3 to market a product that would never be available for consumers to buy. We don't even know how many games were finished, but judging by their consistent showing of titles with "placeholder" stolen assets it doesn't seem to have been that many. Maybe their version of Astro Smash will launch some day, but who actually cares when current consoles have multiple versions of Space Invaders that are far superior. Space Invaders '91 on the Invincible Collection is great, as is Infinity Gene (backwards compatible on Xbox, as are Galaga Legions and Legions DX) and why anyone needs a 6/10 at best version of a forgotten game like Astro Smash is unclear, but it's a better value proposition at $10 or whatever on PSN than it is as a pack in for a $300 console.

But I had a lot of fun watching the car crash and I would have deeply enjoyed watching people puzzle over it. It felt like a revival of something I miss from my gaming youth. Not the simplistic games or the bad controllers (Hello Jaguar, how you doing?) but the bad ideas and weirdness. Oh well it was fun while it lasted. Except for people who actually invested money. Probably not fun for them.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It’s a modern day tragedy that we won’t get to see Jeff Gerstmann talk about this system for an hour during his GOTY podcast. Dolphin Quest!

As always, thank you for these reports, and while I know it’s probably the last, I hope Tommy wins the lottery or something and puts it all into reviving this idea.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone will carry the torch. C'mon, Atari. You know you want to.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allthedinos: Jeff streaming this thing would have been AMAZING. Sadly I think Tommy has moved on from Intellivision and is apparently into backgammon now. If he lucks into a billion dollars we may get an all backgammon console though. That would be...a thing.

@shindig: Atari did put out a 'console' in the last few years which was really a mini PC with a Linux based custom OS (but could also boot to Windows or a more normal Linux if installed.) It looks cool but was pretty disappointing as an oddball product. It has some old and recent Atari games and a few indies but I think nothing actually exclusive (though some of the Atari stuff has extra content.) On the plus side it actually exists!

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I feel so sorry for you as you were so anticipated for this console. I do love retro-style gaming consoles as it gives me the vibes of golden-age gaming.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@gtxforza said:

I feel so sorry for you as you were so anticipated for this console. I do love retro-style gaming consoles as it gives me the vibes of golden-age gaming.

The Golden age of gaming is now

cozmicaztaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Oh no, have you finally abandoned the Amico faithful for the "gaming racists"?

Seriously, this thing was an enormous sh*tshow and looking at it from the outside was hilarious, because at least it failed in an interesting way, unlike something like Stadia.

Would I ever buy one? Heck no, I'm still trying to justify a PS5 and Switch (having skipped.. everything since the PS3 slim came out? Or the Xbox 360 Slim. Anyway, like 2 generations), but I get what you're saying. The odd systems are fun, even if the insane dev costs of things mean we'll never get anything amazing yet niche doing cool new things like the RCI Halcyon or a LaserActive or whatever

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Yeah, the Amico is such a tragedy, but there is an important lesson to learn. Never hired a conman to sell your product. Once Tommy "the fraud" Tellarico got involved, it was already over.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@av_gamer: Nobody hired Tommy to sell the Amico. It was his baby from the get go, which is why it was such a weirdly idiosyncratic system with a massively underpowered chipset but all kinds of bells and whistles like LED lights on the casing and the insane controller.

Where Tommy really conned people was not so much about the system (which they never made much money on) but the state of the company. And I think that while he knew he was lying about a lot of it he thought for a long time that he was going to pull it off in the end.

He personally guaranteed a loan for their furniture, which you don't do if your goal is to loot the company and make a dash. He thought he was going to slick talk his way into putting out at least a niche hit and he did get enough money to do it, then instead of putting out the product he spent that money on offices and E3 slots.

beggary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo has abandoned gimmicks? Labo wasn’t that long ago and they still have room for your oddball GameBuilder Garages.

siamesegiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amico had real Tiger Game.Com and Hyperscan energy to it.

As others have said here, Nintendo is still putting weird ideas out there with things like Labo and that AR Mario Kart game. Given their track record of following successes with ill advised wild swings, their next console will probably be the Wii U 2. Did Atari not recently put out a bad console too?

kuttahai585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kuttahai585

I almost feel bad eating popcorn as this train inevitably goes off the rails. This thing is a super low powered Ouya level of console with multiple gimmicks that don't seem to serve any purpose. Even if it was designed, manufactured, and marketed under budget with an initial investment, it still was never going to make any money.

https://ppssppgold.one/

https://pikashow.fyi/

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@siamesegiant: Those gimmicks are not baked into their console so if they fail it has no real effect. Mario Kart AR is no different than Sony's various experiments with cameras, which didn't really work but did nothing to derail PlayStation because they weren't inherent to the thing. It's totally different than baking them into the console.

As I mentioned earlier Atari's VCS wasn't really a console. It was just a PC that came with a slightly reskinned version of Linux attached to an online store but could be booted to normal Linux or Windows and has no exclusive software.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone should take the one working unit and turn the controllers into functional iPod Classics.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: There are two working units, but you'd basically be reshelling iPods because those controllers have ancient tech in them. I think 1 megabyte of RAM. They're closer to VMUs than they are to iPods.