Best "Real" Games for iPad

pappafost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hi everyone, I'm going on a trip and bringing my trusty iPad air. I was shocked to discover that The Witness is on the iPad now, then I started digging and discovered many other "real" video games on the iPad now. I guess my definition of "REAL" is this:

-It's a full multiplatform game that's on PC or console too.

-It's not a sketchy pay-to-win mobile game.

So far I have found these gems, but what other "real" video games are there on the iPad/iPhone? I want to compile a good list.

Steamworld Heist

Don't Starve

Invisible Inc

Banner Saga 1&2

Xcom

The Witness

Transistor

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Zelyre

Legend of Grimrock

Crypt of the Necrodancer

FTL

TitanQuest

Baldur's Gate 2

Knights of the Old Republic

Sword and Sorcery

Halcyon 6

Jade Empire

Heroes of Might and Magic III

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Snakebird is the realest game on iPad/iPhone.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@zelyre: Did they ever fix that Heroes III port? It's a great game, but at launch the app would crash in hotseat multiplayer about every 20 minutes, in single player every hour or so. I'd strongly advise against putting money down for it if multiple patches haven't released since then.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theflamingo352: To be honest, I'm not sure. It was last updated in 2016. Someone 9 months ago on r/homm3 said they had used to have issues with HOMM3 crashing, but that hasn't been an issue for a long time.

I bought it. Only ever played maybe an hour of it. It doesn't have any of the expansions.

And really, I'm not a big iPad gamer. I dislike the form factor and I dislike the touch interface. Outside of Origins, Frontier, Iron Marines, Banner Saga 2, I'd much rather play old PC games on my Surface Pro with a mouse rather than fight through a touch interface.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Full version of Civ VI is on the ipad and its great.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MONSTER HUNTER FREEDOM UNITE.

GrimGlottis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Full throttle

Grim fandango

Broken Age

Day of the tentacle

I want into the breach on ipad.....real bad

anakanemison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy Tactics seems like an OK port. I haven't played it all the way through so I can't say whether it eventually gets bad, but the first five to ten hours of the game play pretty well.

Gorogoa is solid.

Ascension, the deck-building card game, is probably the game I play the most on the iPad. I don't know whether it has any console releases but there's a digital version available on Steam. It's the best for when you want to sink deep into the couch and zone out while playing.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LeStephan

I really like Neuroshima hex! Its really fun&easy to teach to other players too, I was really surprised how quickly everyone I played it with got it because its unlike anything else I've played. Its my go to same screen multiplayer board game on ipad since its release. I almost went as far as buying the real physical boardgame. I love everything about it, the style, the quick but strategic gameplay, the ideas of the units, wildly differing strategies depending on your race, its absolutely awesome. And I have rarely cared for boardgames besides chess in my life.

All Cave shmups (makers of Dodonpachi, Bug Princess etc) also all play like a dream on ipad. Turn up the difficulty to arcade/impossible and enjoy the endlessly fast acceleration & accuracy that touch controls provide.(Its almost an unfair advantage but it feels great, thats why I say turn the difficulty up) I love that you can scale the screen slightly smaller too so that you can keep your fingers out of the action if you'd want. I remember them being strangely hard to find by way of the appstores searchengine unless you'd look for "Cave ltd." specifically.

On that same note, there used to be an awesome darius game on ios. Dariusburst EX I think it was called or something similar.

Dragons pass is awesome on ipad.

Beneath the steel sky, too.

I think the ios versions of gta 3/vc/sa/cw are all pretty great, touch controls arent optimal but I've honestly always thought the ps2 versions controlled absolutely dreadfully (still worse than the ios version imo). Not to mention that it looks and runs better on ios than it ever could on ps2. I believe 3 and vc actually look even better than the pc versions as they took the pc version and then imported all models/object with higher polycount from the xbox ports which were never officially added to the pc version(the xbox ports of 3 and vc on xbox were way later than the pc versions and actually featured a fair amount of improvements exclusive to em.) Loading is also really fast, only thing that sucks imo is the compromised soundtracks.

And yes, you need FTL.

Theres waay more but I forgot a lot. I used to "own" like 600 games on ios and last I checked only 200 of em remained downloadable (that was even before the switch to 64 bit ios, so theres probably even less now). So beware, on ios theres a pretty large chance that whatever your buying now could just be gone in a couple years. In my case literally 2/3rd of all the games I "owned" on ios have dissapeared in less than 10 years time. I honestly dont even know if any of the games I mentioned are still available.

WARNING: slightly off topic ranting incomming:

Btw:There have pretty much always been real games on iOs, at least since the 2nd gen iphone/podtouch, they've just always been burried by the overwhelming amount of shit. I kinda feel like people saying that phone games arent worth it are just protecting themselves from the reality that there actually are a fair amount of great ones but it'd take a great deal of effort to get to em which they need somewhere else (work, homesituation, whatever, everyone has their thing) so to make it easier on themselves they just keep themselves willfully ignorant and take a stance on it. In the grant sceme of things though, with the internet now especially, everything you dont know kinda is willfull ignorance, you can look anything up, you could spend hours studying any subject you could come up with......but nobody is able to look up/remember everything so you kinda have to pick and choose. And being aware of the quality of ios games doesnt seem like it should be a top priority to anyone so I do understand :p....Im not sure where I wanted to go with this, sorry its early, I just woke up :')

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Solid RPGs are on there such as multiple Final Fantasy's, Dragon's Quests, Shin Megami Tensei 1 (highly recommended), Secret of Mana.

Solid recommendation for Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead as well since it is a port of a free PC game ala dwarf fortress in style

Rem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lestephan: none of the cave shmups were updated for iOS 11 so you can’t get them on updated devices. It really sucks since it was the only way to play espgaluda 2.

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkest Dungeon

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LeStephan

@rem: Oh no that sucks :( I totally expected my moms old ipad to be fine(where I kept those cave games ) but it turns out that thing still updates along...fuck.. I hate stuff like this.

But who cares right, let's all go digital only, thats the future! :( No need for pesky shelves or customer rights!