BATracer Giant Bomb League - Free web-based racing!

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

During the iRacing tonight, we started discussing BATracer. It is a very simple web-based racing game, where you manage a team and compete against others. It only takes about 10 minutes per day to play (simply setting up your car, and giving your driver orders), and of course it's free. I'm hoping we can get a bunch of us iRacing guys to participate! The league I'm setting up is private, so only us Giant Bomb guys will be racing against each other. Fun!

Firstly we're going to try the German Touring car series, and eventually we can do F1. I have a league set up HERE! The password to join is "duder"

It should be a fun time! Register on the site and make a team!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

DO IT! It may seem silly/simple, but it's a lot of fun.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mouse

Biggest tip I can give to new guys: read the "engineer's advice" before you run practice laps. When you are in the car setup screen, you'll see a link to his advice near the top. It's some basic stuff like "high suspension, low brake bias ect...." that will help you with initial setup. EDIT: and you have a limited number of test laps, so be careful!

The options may seem a bit overwhelming at first, but after a couple races you'll see that this is very simple to play. And just like iRacing, none of us are experts, so we'll have a good time as we learn!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything you need to do for each race is under the "Garage" menu.

One tip for doing setup: do it in steps of 32/16/8/4/2. E.g. If you have it set to 70 and you're told to lower it, lower it 32 or 16. Say you've lowered it 16 (to 54) and then you're told to make it higher, you'd then raise it 8 etc.

So your setup steps would look something like this after each run:

0-70

54-70

54-62

58-62

60-62... then you'd know what your setup value is. Basically you're splitting it every time...

It's really not a difficult game at all. A few minutes every day is all you need.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By slowbird

Yep, the "multiples of 8" thing works really good for the car setup. In fact, getting the setup right was the only part of BATracer I ever got good at. :P Well, maybe making semi-realistic paint schemes on relatively small GIF templates, but that's another story. Speaking of which...here's my website full of semi-realistic paint schemes! (Most of them are for Champ Car, but I have a few DTM schemes at the bottom)

Edit: some of the links are broken, but I fixed the DTM ones (click the picture to get the full-size file for uploading to BATracer)

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I used to play the hell out of this back in 2006/2007ish. So much that I had two accounts with KT. Unfortunately I don't have time to join in on this now but good luck to everyone who does join up.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going to bump this thread, hopefully some more guys want to join us. We need 6 more! :D

Don't be discouraged if you've never played it or any racing management type games. It's so darn simple; you'll learn it in no time! :D

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played an absolute load of this a few years ago. Had 2 fully loaded KT accounts running at the same time. I'll see if I can figure my old username and password out and I'll join in.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Oh wow, BATRacer. I have Kooltools on my account, haven't used it in aaaaages. I'm in.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forkboy: Great! With you and @stinger061 we should only need 4 more to start the races (hopefully I'll have 1 or 2 guys joining soon).

Feel free to invite anyone else if you want. ;)

Avatar image for thesupernatural
TheSupernatural

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheSupernatural

I've signed up and joined

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it seems like the game cancelled (there must be a time limit to launch the game). We only managed to get 7 people, unfortunately.

We'll try again later. Sorry everyone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that's a shame :( Was really looking forward to having a game.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

Yep, this reminds me of the time I tried to start my own private Trans-Am game of Batracer. I was the only one who joined before the time ran out :/