#1 Posted by OrzBlueFog (38 posts) -

So this design was sort of an improvement with some real deficiencies remaining. The raw power of 6 massive SRBs will get you to space but are a huge waste at the same time - you're fighting the air most of the way up! I took their exact design and did a few staging and piloting tweaks to get there and back with a reasonable amount of fuel... and then decided to do a little bonus mission based on an offhand comment in the video!

The latest revision of the Luda Lander
The latest revision of the Luda Lander
Liftoff!
Liftoff!
I staged the SRBs a little differently to avoid wasting so much thrust
I staged the SRBs a little differently to avoid wasting so much thrust
Stage separation!
Stage separation!
Burning straight for the Mun
Burning straight for the Mun
Mun arrival!
Mun arrival!
Burn for landing!
Burn for landing!
On a landing trajectory
On a landing trajectory
Almost there...
Almost there...
Touchdown! Time for an EVA.
Touchdown! Time for an EVA.
She's so happy! *Note to Vinny - your Kerbalnaut was female...
She's so happy! *Note to Vinny - your Kerbalnaut was female...
Liftoff from the Mun!
Liftoff from the Mun!
That's a weird orbit... but we're just interested in reaching Kerbin
That's a weird orbit... but we're just interested in reaching Kerbin
Detatch pod! You REALLY shouldn't have so much junk below the pod... there's no need for it any more
Detatch pod! You REALLY shouldn't have so much junk below the pod... there's no need for it any more
Re-entry and a good chute!
Re-entry and a good chute!
What a lovely spot for a picnic
What a lovely spot for a picnic

BONUS MISSION TIME!

During the video they happened to spot a distant moon on the map screen and commented 'we're never seeing that in this series'... so let's go see it!

Since this one is DEFINITELY never coming back I replaced the pod with a probe body
Since this one is DEFINITELY never coming back I replaced the pod with a probe body
Liftoff!
Liftoff!
Burning to escape Kerbin
Burning to escape Kerbin
Gravity slingshot out of the Kerbin system!
Gravity slingshot out of the Kerbin system!
It's the Mun again... but this time we're not stopping!
It's the Mun again... but this time we're not stopping!
Setting up a Jool encounter! Jool is the equivalent of this system's Jupiter.
Setting up a Jool encounter! Jool is the equivalent of this system's Jupiter.
Not a perfect encounter, but good enough. Very little fuel left!
Not a perfect encounter, but good enough. Very little fuel left!
The best Jool capture I could manage
The best Jool capture I could manage
Fine-tuning with monopropellant... and we have a flyby of our target!
Fine-tuning with monopropellant... and we have a flyby of our target!
A nice shot of our probe and Jool, with the moons Laythe and Vall on the right. None of those are our target, though.
A nice shot of our probe and Jool, with the moons Laythe and Vall on the right. None of those are our target, though.
This is! The moon Tylo!
This is! The moon Tylo!
Tylo flyby achieved! We don't have nearly the fuel to establish orbit, though.
Tylo flyby achieved! We don't have nearly the fuel to establish orbit, though.
Still, this little probe made it all the way out here!
Still, this little probe made it all the way out here!
The final orbit of our intrepid probe after it was flung out of the Jool system
The final orbit of our intrepid probe after it was flung out of the Jool system

#2 Posted by Heycalvero (289 posts) -

F'ing awesome.

#3 Posted by OrzBlueFog (38 posts) -

@heycalvero: Thanks. I'm glad at least someone liked this! :)

#4 Posted by briguyd (29 posts) -

These are awesome. I don't have much to add other than to say that I hope you keep doing these!

#5 Posted by TanookiSuit (716 posts) -

Awesome stuff! Kerbal is not a game(sim?) that I'd particularly get into, but I've enjoyed the BEAST crews adventures and glad that others are getting ambitious with it. Well done.

#6 Posted by Shivoa (1588 posts) -

These are soo good.

Love the bonus mission.

#7 Posted by DGBruin08 (171 posts) -

This game looks like a ton of fun, yet difficult to master.

#8 Posted by two_socks (516 posts) -

These posts are some of my favorite on the site. I love seeing someone else try their ideas. Awesome work duder!

#9 Posted by OrzBlueFog (38 posts) -

@shivoa said:

These are soo good.

Love the bonus mission.

Thanks, it was a lot of fun to try and pull off!

#10 Posted by NoelVeiga (1392 posts) -

Yep, these are great. Not sure why they aren't featured more prominently. It really helps me understand how much of their ongoing crashing and burning is down to design and how much to piloting and navigation. There's always a moment in every episode when I think they're making sense and then Vinny gets a crazy idea, so these tell me if he was right or not (because their flying sure doesn't).

#11 Posted by DeiNile (125 posts) -

These are always super entertaining. Keep up the good work!

#12 Posted by AlmostSwedish (933 posts) -

Good job!
I think these expeditions of yours make it clear that while their construction skills are improving, B.E.A.S.T still has a lot to learn about flying the damn things!

#13 Posted by OrzBlueFog (38 posts) -

Yep, these are great. Not sure why they aren't featured more prominently. It really helps me understand how much of their ongoing crashing and burning is down to design and how much to piloting and navigation. There's always a moment in every episode when I think they're making sense and then Vinny gets a crazy idea, so these tell me if he was right or not (because their flying sure doesn't).

Aw shucks, I'm just happy some people seem to like them. Kind words are encouraging!

Sometimes I do see disaster coming a mile away... like during landing when Vinny kept his SAS locked to 'retrograde' - meaning when he started going up his rocket whipped around to point straight down! At least change it to 'stability assist'!

#14 Posted by zedprime (68 posts) -

Keeping SAS to retrograde is fine as long as you don't flip signs on your vertical velocity. If you perfectly zero it out, either by inhumanly good throttle control or cutting the throttle when you contact the ground, it will even swap to stability assist for you as it fails to recognize retrograde as a direction anymore. Back when ASAS was all there was I feel like I did a lot more flips during landing trying to track everything by hand.

Also you mentioned SRB staging, but are you aware you can right click SRBs and scale their thrust?

#15 Posted by OrzBlueFog (38 posts) -

@zedprime said:

Keeping SAS to retrograde is fine as long as you don't flip signs on your vertical velocity. If you perfectly zero it out, either by inhumanly good throttle control or cutting the throttle when you contact the ground, it will even swap to stability assist for you as it fails to recognize retrograde as a direction anymore. Back when ASAS was all there was I feel like I did a lot more flips during landing trying to track everything by hand.

Also you mentioned SRB staging, but are you aware you can right click SRBs and scale their thrust?

Wow it has been a while since I've played Kerbal - I didn't know that! Thanks! It will help when I finally decide what I'm going to do with their current video.

As for SAS you're right, I was more commenting on their propensity to overcook things, in which case switching to stability assist was the way to go for added safety.

#16 Edited by rethla (3725 posts) -

You can limit SRB throttle and in real life you can actually vary the throttle aswell, The Spaceshuttle SRBs lower their thrust when passing max Q as an example. It is done in the buildingphase by using different fuel compositions so if you are gonna use the rocket project BEAST built it would strictly be cheating by going back to the VAB and changing stuff ;)

It rarely makes very much sense to limit their throttle instead of just removing one booster however. If you have to do that its usually a sign of a bad rocket design :)