Now I wish the entire Xbox One console was able to utilize mouse and keyboard.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm installing Metro Exodus back onto the Xbox One X to try out the mouse and keyboard support. I'm not a huge fan of movement in games with the keyboard, and I'm totally fine with the right analog stick for aiming in games, but if it was up to me, I'd use a mix of all of the above where the keyboard is simply there for different action buttons while the left analog is for movement, left trigger is for ADS, mouse for looking around, etc. I hope I can do that on console here, but I'm doubting I can. Anyways, has anyone tried the mouse and keyboard support?

I wish all games supported it, at least the games that are also on PC. I tested Microsoft Edge out, and it's unfortunate that it's not more similar to something you can get on a PC; you're not even able to use the mouse. I signed into Giant Bomb and looked through some forum pages and typing with a keyboard is nice, but it's a bit delayed. I get that it's not a PC so 'get a PC if you want PC functionality' yadda yadda, but still, it'd be cool if everything on the console supported it because it feels close. Even navigating home with a mouse would at least be interesting. The UI on the console has always been a little slow, but it feels even more noticeable when using the keyboard as I'm used to the keyboard reacting to each button press immediately.

I hope Microsoft implements more mouse and keyboard functionality to the console. If nothing else, it's fun and interesting to test out even if it's not the go-to thing to use (or heck, maybe it can be). Above all though, I just wish more games utilized it. Just because it's one of the games I'm playing more of right now, I'd like to see how The Division 2 feels. As someone that has a not-so-good PC for games and has no intention to buy a gaming PC any time soon, it's just something I desire right now. The Xbox could feel more like a PC (a less powerful gaming PC that you can't really customize, but a PC nonetheless) if they could get the browser portion of it down.

The Xbox One X is pretty much my main all-encompassing entertainment box as it has my streaming services, 4k Blu-ray disc drive, and games to play. I'm just thinking, adding a good, fast internet browser to that would be convenient. More recently, I've been thinking about getting a decent tablet so I don't have to have a desk and computer in my room so I have more room to situate things, so I guess the better browser on Xbox is a part of the reasoning. Are there any specific games you'd like to see support mouse and keyboard on the Xbox One, or does it even matter to you? Maybe it'll be better on next-gen consoles?

Red Dead Redemption 2 comes to mind...

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like you need a trackball with a keyboard, mouse and controller is just to weird unless your one of those guys who played Counter Strike with the Numpad.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

@soulcake: It didn't work too well with Metro Exodus (aside from it really not working properly as in you can't aim with left trigger and shoot with the mouse). There are older games that work okay with it, like NOLF which I was just doing last year. The mouse and keyboard support need work. It was interesting, but I probably won't be trying it again. I didn't play a lot of Counter-Strike on PC. I don't think a trackball would feel good compared to left analog for walking since I'd be using my right hand and using my index finger or right thumb. Using a trackball to move a character would be weird, which is why I use the controller. Using a left-handed trackball wouldn't really be worth it either.

That said, I try to do it, not that it actually often feels good to do it. If I'm playing PC and I can, I'll just opt to use a controller for the game and ditch the mouse and keyboard. I don't like moving characters with wasd since the lack of pressure put onto the keys doesn't change the characters speed, and having a dedicated 'walk' button isn't a great alternative. I wish there was a pressure sensitive keyboard; that'd be cool. The only set of games that I actually might prefer on PC for its controls is the original Splinter Cell trilogy since movement speed is set onto the mouse scroll.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I get the feeling that m&k on consoles isn't widely supported for two reasons

1) It's a niche feature

2) It throws some real balance problems into multiplayer games, especially shooters. Rainbow Six Siege on consoles, from what I understand, has problems with this.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: Pretty much

There are some serious questions as to whether mouse or stick+aim assist is noticeably better. Games like Titanfall showed the benefits of high speed precision aiming. For even something like a CoD where it is more about slow movement and map awareness it gets murky. And I vaguely recall anecdotes from the gfwl Shadowrun suggesting gamepad dominated (not sure how legit those were though)

But mouse+aim assist? Ridiculously unfair and destroys balance.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This got me thinking, what if the next Xbox let you install Windows 10 on it and fully supported a mouse and keyboard? So it would pretty much be an Xbox and Steam machine in one. I would actually consider buying one.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@gundato said:

There are some serious questions as to whether mouse or stick+aim assist is noticeably better. Games like Titanfall showed the benefits of high speed precision aiming. For even something like a CoD where it is more about slow movement and map awareness it gets murky. And I vaguely recall anecdotes from the gfwl Shadowrun suggesting gamepad dominated (not sure how legit those were though)

So I haven't played Siege on console, just on PC. I can tell you that back when Halo 2 came out on PC and supported the gamepad, there were complaints about how gamepad players had all the aim assists and mouse players didn't. I did play that version and yeah, controller players had an advantage because of all the assists (also because mouse control in that port was garbage, but that's a different story). It was somewhat like giving a one-legged man a moped in a foot race.

Anyway, yeah, I would not want to be the person saddled with the job of balancing mouse and keyboard players and controller players. I have a hard time believing there's a balance there where everyone has fun.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

For the sake on continuing Microsoft's accessibility initiative: Sure, especially with accessibility in games being pretty topical these days, especially in regards to Sekiro. The more people that can enjoy games, the better in that broader sense.

But from my selfish perspective as a PC guy who doesn't see a reason to even own an Xbox because of Play Anywhere, Halo MCC eventually coming to PC, and most of the console exclusives that I care about being on PS4: Can't say that I care.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundato said:

So I haven't played Siege on console, just on PC. I can tell you that back when Halo 2 came out on PC and supported the gamepad, there were complaints about how gamepad players had all the aim assists and mouse players didn't. I did play that version and yeah, controller players had an advantage because of all the assists (also because mouse control in that port was garbage, but that's a different story). It was somewhat like giving a one-legged man a moped in a foot race.

Anyway, yeah, I would not want to be the person saddled with the job of balancing mouse and keyboard players and controller players. I have a hard time believing there's a balance there where everyone has fun.

Yes, what you guys said is true. Personally, I don't really play a whole lot of multiplayer so it doesn't matter to me in that regard. That said, wouldn't developers be able to implement a way for players to customize their game in matchmaking so people can play with just m&k, just gamepad or if people don't care, both?