Kingdom Come: Deliverance Game Discussion

• 161 results
Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@brunothethird: Ha, that's funny! Based on what I've read it would seem The House of God is one of the buggiest in the game. Thankfully that's the only one I've come across so far (that I know of anyway).

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah, I've not had issues otherwise...

Since the new patch today, that is. I've been unable to sleep, or put my torch away by holding left on the d-pad. Weird. Just been munching food to keep my energy up anyway, but the torch thing is a bit weird.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, this game is sooo buggy. Crash bugs, graphical glitches, busted scripting, broken animations, it's all there. In a variety and overabundance I've personally never experienced in any other game. Plus a really nonsensical save system that will sometimes save several times during a random side mission but not after finishing a major main quest.

But I still love it and can't stop playing it. I was expecting more a hardcore survival game with some rpg elements, but it's really a pretty traditional western rpg with some survival elements. Love me an rpg where I can talk myself out of most situations. Combat does not beat what MnB does imo, but its ok. Love, love, love the no fantasy historical setting.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By soulcake

I finally got into lockpicking it's neat once you get how it works but seems impossible on consoles any console players tried lockpicking yet ?

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunothethird: If you're having weird issues since the patch it's been recommended to remove any mods you're using, and add them back one by one after checking for new versions. The installation procedure is different now so mods will have to be updated.

@hans_maulwurf: I'm at 110 hours, and it's been running quite well for me, even on Ultra settings. The worst thing has been the House of God quest I mentioned before, but the rest has been little things like the cows popping into existence right in front of my eyes, or "Game Saved" getting stuck on the screen. It's weird how people's experiences can be so different.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

@soulcake said:

I finally got into lockpicking it's neat once you get how it works but seems impossible on consoles any console players tried lockpicking yet ?

I'm playing with a controller on PC so essentially experiencing it the same way. I just banged my head against a very easy one for awhile until my skill leveled up. Once that happens it becomes more forgiving. I can reliably pick up to easy right now. Definitely want to have a ton of lockpicks on you though.

Anyone have any tips on how to level up stealth semi-quickly? It seems to take forever following around enemies and even successfully pickpocketing?

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By BrunoTheThird

@bane: I figured it out soon after my post, it was indeed the mod I used to get my stats back. Thanks for letting me know man.

I just finished the main questline. I felt we were given a very satisfying, charmingly simple (yet sweet) approximated slice of 15th century Bohemia. I became very fond of the cast, to my surprise, and their interactions with Henry were pretty endearing, as was Henry himself. There's been a consistent rumbling of disdain towards him, but I found him sympathetic, and a breath of fresh air, mostly. His journey is a classic Cinderella story, really. Much like Fable, you go from an orphaned nobody to a somebody, and I like that. He retains his innocent ambitions despite having all these risky tasks unfairly placed on his shoulders. I don't feel he got the vengeance he wanted, not quite -- it felt a bit anti-climactic -- but the after-credits cutscene healed that hole adequately. I loved the world, down to every little path, church, castle and fresco, plus the stunning aesthetics, especially the menus and map. Masterfully done.

The combat, ironically, did nothing for me, I have to say. I found it clunky, poorly animated -- especially in larger battles, dayum -- and pretty flimsy-feeling. Getting the better of your foe is satisfying, and the individual mechanics are strong, but the way it comes together in actual battle is not polished enough, in my opinion. I preferred getting headshots with a bow by far. Seeing a poorly-aimed arrow bounce off a helmet and using it as a marker to plant the next in their face was never not cool.

I enjoyed alchemy a lot, unlike some, and by the time you get good enough to autobrew potions, it stops short of becoming a chore. Even picking flowers has big benefits if you focus on it early on, like the perk that lets flowerpicking increase your strength, or the one where having fragrant flowers on your person increases your charisma. The game has so many neat little ideas like that tucked away in itself.

I like that some of your skills are so bad before you gain experience in them, like lockpicking, horseriding, reading, etc. It's not fun out of the gate, but it's interesting, and I always felt great relief when I started to master them. I especially liked how they handled the reading skill. Books just look like a jumble at first, and gradually become more legible level by level. I thought it was really neat to see illiteracy emulated in this dyslexic-like manner.

Quest-wise, I found the game memorable. I have a bunch of favourites, but I dug the monastery quest most of all; the game felt like it became The Name of the Rose suddenly, which was dope. I wish I'd maxed my stealth skill, because I see it being very handy in hindsight.

I have so much more to say I feel, but yeah, really liked the game overall. I'm going to polish off some side-quests and call it, but I give it a solid 7.5.

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Rasrimra

@brunothethird: It's interesting to me that so many people's conclusion on the combat is it looking silly with them holding out their swords out in a way and stuff. XD And it totally does, I get you. But they were also the most realistic sword fights I've had yet in a videogame because the attacks weren't super telegraphed (the stance is, of course, and it is slowed down to give you time to respond) using semi-realistic motions, and defending would actually move the weapon to the attackers side (the weapons actually connect). Your character even uses the shield to protect the sword-arm, something I've never seen a game do properly. I really think a game series like Elder Scrolls can learn from the physicality and animations in this game.

Every single skill that feels 'too hard' in the beginning (archery, lockpicking, archery on horseback, saving, carrying stuff around, etc.) annoyed me greatly in the first hour and after that I 'got it' and Henry got better too and it actually felt rewarding. At the end I was very happy they did it this way because it's completely what the game is about. In hindsight, I would not advise the use of mods to make things easier.

And I love you know The Name of the Rose ^_^ I had the same feeling.

I felt like the random events you run into while fast traveling repeated too often. And while the quests were cool overall, they often worked in unpredictable or bugged ways that made me look things up online to complete them. (Fugitive disappearing in thin air, room hard to locate, keys required that were weirdly placed, etc.)

If there were no bugs that made the game crash and a little smoother quests I would give it a 9.5 But as it stands right now it's an 8 from me. If they fix those bugs I could totally see this ending up in my top 3 this year. And with the bugs I still absolutely love that someone made this game. It's using a different focus and systems that work well for a game while being more realistic in very interesting ways. This game is important to me.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main quest "A Needle in a Haystack" that takes place in the monastery is both insane and genius. I feel the need to talk about it, but I'm not even sure what to say.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#161  Edited By armaan8014

Quest-wise, I found the game memorable. I have a bunch of favourites, but I dug the monastery quest most of all; the game felt like it became The Name of the Rose suddenly, which was dope. I wish I'd maxed my stealth skill, because I see it being very handy in hindsight.

I've been hyped for that monastery quest ever since they showed it off in some trailer years ago. I haven't reached it in my game yet but I'm loving the anticipation of getting to that part. I hope it's not a limited time type of quest (don't tell me if it is!) because I'm planning to spend days chilling in that monastery and just living the life. I also love the name of the rose, so I double - can't wait.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By BrunoTheThird

@rasrimra: I hear what you're saying about the combat being much more realistic than a lot of other games, and it works, especially in one-on-one fights. Even when it's two vs. one, it feels as satisfying, I have no problem with that. My only issues are the way the enemies scuttle awkwardly when there's more than two or three of them. I wish they would slowly strafe and adjust their weapons with deliberate, intimidating movements, out of each other's way, but it's a bit inelegant and frenzied. They just come at you swords blazing, which doesn't give the game's more subtle fighting mechanics room to breathe; I had to keep sprinting away after every other hit to maintain an effective distance, otherwise it's flail city (which is still probably realistic among bandits). The mechanics themselves I love, and one-on-one duels are the best.

I agree with all of your other points on top of that. And I love that you and @armaan8014know The Name of the Rose also, it's a great book and great film! I'm sure Warhorse must've been influenced by it somewhat. God, I would even play a whole game in that kind of setting... Where do I sign?!

If they fix some of the more annoying bugs, I will feel good about giving this game a shiny 8/10. If they fix some technical/mechanical issues as well, it's pushing a 9.

sk3pt1kal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@bane: I was excited to play that quest but

I did everything there was to do in the monastery, only to still have no clue who the target was, and no way to continue. I was too afraid to mention my true intentions to anyone, and was looking for other clues. It was disappointing that there were no ways to handle it that way. I spent a huge amount of time on this mission only to give up and consult a mission guide.

That mission had a lot of promise, and I'm sure there was a good time to be had in it, but I got stumped on it.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sk3pt1kal: The quest seems to have multiple paths, but if they all funnel down to confiding in Antonius that is disappointing. That might be the only way if you want to keep him alive?

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

@brunothethird: Haven't read the book, but loved the film :) I haven't had time lately to play the game, but reading the conversations here has me dying to dive back in. Agreed about the story and the cast - and though I love story etc in games, I didn't expect this one to do it so well (I was interested because of the world, exploration and role playing aspects) I was really surprised to see in the first couple of hours that on top of building such a good game, they'd put so much time and effort into the story, characters and cutscenes as well. In fact, I think it's my favorite aspect of KC:D, more than the stuff that I was excited for - which is really surprising.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've finished KCD. What a good game. Who would've thought that a medieval peasant simulator would be such fun?

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#167  Edited By TreeTrunk

I just started playing this game and it is absolutely fantastic. It's the only game from memory where I'm actually thinking of what I would do if I was really there, as opposed to what video-game things does this video game want me to do so I can progress.

There are many moments already, but for example, in the first area when you get the side quest to throw manure on the blasphemers house with Henrys friends. I refused to do it, but I could still follow them to see them discuss how to lure his wife away from the house, and see them throw the manure, and I even saw the cut-scene of them being confronted by the blasphemers guards, but without Henry in it. I'm guessing that if you agreed to throw the manure, the cutscene would have included Henry, and I'm guessing if I didn't follow them, I would not have seen the cutscene at all. After I gained control of Henry again, the two parties were fist-fighting and that's when I walked away to the tavern.

Also when I went to Skallitz, in the kitchen a random woman wants to talk to you about what happened, because this is a video game, I thought that I would pick up all the food first and be done with the room before I talk to her. While I was picking up food, she said "I know what happened to you, but that's no excuse to be rude" and sat down, and I couldn't talk to her anymore. Also when I finally convinced the guy to open the gate, I went to get a horse and so the gate closed again, when I asked the guy to reopen the gate, he was mad, there was unique dialogue even just for that.

Also none of the dialogue seems boring, I'm hanging on every word like I was with the Mass Effect games or even more so. It's very genuine how Divish was able to convince that Cuman leader to take his army away, for example.

I'm still very early on, but I feel like this is another step up in video games being able to make the player feel like they are really visiting this other place.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I just started playing this game and it is absolutely fantastic. It's the only game from memory where I'm actually thinking of what I would do if I was really there, as opposed to what video-game things does this video game want me to do so I can progress.

There are many moments already, but for example, in the first area when you get the side quest to throw manure on the blasphemers house with Henrys friends. I refused to do it, but I could still follow them to see them discuss how to lure his wife away from the house, and see them throw the manure, and I even saw the cut-scene of them being confronted by the blasphemers guards, but without Henry in it. I'm guessing that if you agreed to throw the manure, the cutscene would have included Henry, and I'm guessing if I didn't follow them, I would not have seen the cutscene at all. After I gained control of Henry again, the two parties were fist-fighting and that's when I walked away to the tavern.

Also when I went to Skallitz, in the kitchen a random woman wants to talk to you about what happened, because this is a video game, I thought that I would pick up all the food first and be done with the room before I talk to her. While I was picking up food, she said "I know what happened to you, but that's no excuse to be rude" and sat down, and I couldn't talk to her anymore. Also when I finally convinced the guy to open the gate, I went to get a horse and so the gate closed again, when I asked the guy to reopen the gate, he was mad, there was unique dialogue even just for that.

Also none of the dialogue seems boring, I'm hanging on every word like I was with the Mass Effect games or even more so. It's very genuine how Divish was able to convince that Cuman leader to take his army away, for example.

I'm still very early on, but I feel like this is another step up in video games being able to make the player feel like they are really visiting this other place.

There's some absolutely outstanding writing and some great character design in this game. If it wasn't for the crashing (on Xbox One at least) I would recommend it unreservedly to fans of the genre.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By TreeTrunk

@extintor: There's a game breaking bug on PC now after the recent 1.4 patch that hard crashes the game during the quest 'Pestilence', which is a side quest that is tied to the main quest. Specifically when players enter Straws house. It doesn't feel right doing side quests while that particular main quest is active so I'm rendered to playing other games in my backlog until they fix that.
It's a shame about the technical issues because aside from those it really is a fantastic game.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#170  Edited By extintor

@treetrunk said:

@extintor: There's a game breaking bug on PC now after the recent 1.4 patch that hard crashes the game during the quest 'Pestilence', which is a side quest that is tied to the main quest. Specifically when players enter Straws house. It doesn't feel right doing side quests while that particular main quest is active so I'm rendered to playing other games in my backlog until they fix that.

It's a shame about the technical issues because aside from those it really is a fantastic game.

If there was an award for best overall writing in a game, this would be my vote for 2018 so far. Such a bummer that it is broken in other inexcusable ways.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By TreeTrunk

@treetrunk said:

Bug is fixed now, I can finally progress. https://steamcommunity.com/games/379430/announcements/detail/1671274008642604764

mmarsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just bought this for pc, ridiculous how there is no quicklook on this amazing game.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mmarsu: my cousin messaged me the other day and told me something might have knocked The Witcher 3 off the top of his GOAT list... I asked what and he replied this game. Man, tall praise to be sure. Haven't got round to checking it out myself yet but defiantly want to!

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins:

Best way to think of it is that KCD is an 00s Eastern European "Kitchen Sink" style RPG (think Gothic) with all of the gamification and feedback of a CoD.

If you want a feedback reward for every single thing you do, then, barring stuff we don't talk about in this thread, it may be your dream game. There are LOTS of meters and perks to get and a lot of interesting ideas, but a very weak execution and not much substance.

If that sounds tedious and obnoxious to you, move on

From my limited experience with this: It is a fun concept and I'll probably get the GOTYE when it is <20 USD or part of a Humble Monthly. But it is a Gothic. There is lots to do and lots to miss out on, but it just takes one distraction and I'll never come back because the day to day gameplay loop is so tedious prior to the mid/endgame period. Its the kind of game where the idea of going back to see what I missed is more interesting than actually doing it.

And it takes all of that and adds on "it is totally historically accurate" while being "based on a true story" and choreographed by star wars kid after watching the intro to a schola gladiatora video. Which is actually a fairly big turnoff to me as it feels like Braveheart without the awesome mullets.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#175  Edited By shivermetimbers

The save system stopped me from finishing this game. It's a bad idea made for people who pride themselves on being 'hardcore' when really, it's an annoying off putting mechanic on top of a sea of annoying off-putting mechanics. Every option or gameplay route I picked was me saying to myself 'how do I approach this the easiest way possible while avoiding the game's mechanics' and that's a sign of a bad game, IMHO. I was charmed at first at the Euro-jank, but my rating is a: fuck this game/10.

I will say that I appreciate the game giving me easy options as long as I'm inquisitive, but really, the game was more trying to appeal to the immersion crowd and its Skyrim/Gothic inspiration contradicts the fact that they're trying to make a set character with his own personality. Meaning that you can choose to be a thief in the game and Henry (the protagonist) will bicker that 'thieving is for scoundrels!' They have all these RPG systems in place for immersion's sake, but they bit off far too much IMHO.

I should clarify, I don't mind things like having to take off shoes before bed lest I'd get laughed at or scolded at or catch a cold or whatever. I like Gothic and PB games because the immersion they provide comes from world building and NPC interactions and when KC:D does it, I'm cool with it. I don't mind eating food either because it makes sense in the world they're making to have to eat food. The stench bonus thing doesn't really make sense, but okay? The combat can be fun, but it wasn't built for massive battles, so I avoid combat. The game is just easier and more fulfilling if you ignore most of its mechanics by talking your way out of situations and finding ways to make the stuff that's designed to be a pain in the butt less of a pain in the butt.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had nothing but annoyance with all the jank and 'pretending to be realistic when actually just having bad game design' decisions but man...still think back fondly on the bizarrely satisfying weapon maintaining mini game.