First screen of Grimrock 2 puts you outside

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

Almost Human posted the first screenshot of Grimrock 2 this morning, showing that the game will take place at least partially outside. They've clarified that their won't be a open world or big hub cities per say, but that you will spend some time outside of dungeons this time around. Looks amazing, over 40 hours into the first game, can't wait for this.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Interesting. I wonder what the setup for this will be? It was interesting how the dungeon was structured because you could have puzzles and traps that spanned multiple floors. I wonder if there will be any of that.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Interesting. I wonder what the setup for this will be? It was interesting how the dungeon was structured because you could have puzzles and traps that spanned multiple floors. I wonder if there will be any of that.

Based on the tiled walkway in the picture, I'm guessing you'll be be on a pretty narrow path, and that the surroundings are mostly just a cosmetic thing. Still, I love how it looks.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

Eye of the Beholder 2 also started outside, if I recall correctly. Either way, I really should finish the first one.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Wouldn't mind seeing Grimrock take a page from Might and Magic VI-VIII. If that's the case, good for them. Otherwise, I'm sure I'll still play the hell out of it.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I loved the first one.With there being outside environments, I wonder if this will have the same sort of creepy isolation that the first one had. @krakn3dfx: Any idea when this is coming out?

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the first one.With there being outside environments, I wonder if this will have the same sort of creepy isolation that the first one had. @krakn3dfx: Any idea when this is coming out?

No idea, they don't mention a release date, but the wording used in the blog post on their site makes it sound like they're earlier in development than later, so I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

davo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, can't wait for this.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Reminds me I still need to finish the first one.

befo72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By befo72

This is great news, I didn't know a sequel was already in the works. Loved Grimrock, brought back the most sublime Dungeon Master Amiga memories...

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Huh, didn't even know about a sequel existing. That's great, I really enjoyed the first. Really nice look in the screen, too. I dig it.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Hmm, I like this a lot. The old environments were a little too barren to really keep my attention.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Wow, they're making a sequel? Awesome; must mean the first one did well for them. I should probably go finish it, but IIRC I got stuck somewhere a couple hours in for a few days and didn't want to look up how to get past it because that seems like it would kinda defeat the purpose.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They keep up a blog with updates about the progress of the new game. Pretty cool for anyone who enjoyed the first game! I, for one, am very excited for it.

http://www.grimrock.net/

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Random necro, but whatevs.

Anyway, I thought the whole point of this game, and Shadowgate, and games of that nature, was to look for all kinds of hidden bullshit like one random brick on the wall that opens a secret door or something. So it seems weird for them to set the game outside. I guess I'll have to look at exactly how they implement it.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Random necro, but whatevs.

Anyway, I thought the whole point of this game, and Shadowgate, and games of that nature, was to look for all kinds of hidden bullshit like one random brick on the wall that opens a secret door or something. So it seems weird for them to set the game outside. I guess I'll have to look at exactly how they implement it.

They can still do similar things outside. Weird looking branches on tree's, out of place vegetation, and hidden traps that can drop and bring you to an underground area or something.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully: Yeah, that makes sense. Still, doesn't have quite the same atmosphere as approaching a singular keep that has a bunch of scary monster stuff in it. Dungeon crawls that take place outside just feel weird to me.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no idea this game existed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I couldn't really get into the first one for some reason. Maybe this will be able to grab me.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steadyingmeat said:

I had no idea this game existed.

Can't blame you, it doesn't seem like anybody in the press really talked about its announcement very much except for Rock, Paper, Shotgun (its announcement was kinda just "Hey, we're making it, here's a single screenshot"). The devs haven't done much marketing/PR yet.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#21 sgtsphynx  Moderator

This is the first I've heard of a sequel to Grimrock. Also I think it is awesome because I loved Grimrock. One final thought, nothing is to say that the entire game is spent outside, I would not be the least bit surprised if you ended up in a cave or dungeon at some point in the game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

@ssully: Yeah, that makes sense. Still, doesn't have quite the same atmosphere as approaching a singular keep that has a bunch of scary monster stuff in it. Dungeon crawls that take place outside just feel weird to me.

Eye of the Beholder 2 and Lands of Lore had significant outdoor sequences, iirc.

Also this thread has successfully reminded me that Grimrock exists, I still haven't finished it, and I guess there will be a sequel at some point maybe.