• 98 results
Posted by StarvingGamer (11518 posts) 3 years, 4 months ago

Poll: Life Is Strange - Which ending did you choose/would you have chosen in the moment? (SPOILERS) (614 votes)

I played the game and chose to sacrifice Chloe 31%
I played the game and chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay 28%
I watched the game be played and would have chosen to sacrifice Chloe 20%
I watched the game be played and would have chosen to sacrifice Arcadia Bay 15%
Show me the results 6%

This is just a personal curiosity. We know that it's pretty close to a 50-50 split according to DONTNOD's stats on the ending, leaning slightly in favor of sacrificing Chloe. What I'm wondering is whether the extra layer of detachment might skew the balance further among people who watched the game be played. If you watched someone else play the game, try to remember how you felt in the moment, not how you may feel now with knowledge of both endings.

Also fuck Arcadia Bay #EverydayHeroes

#1 Posted by maginnovision (819 posts) -

I only watched, and I probably would have alt+f4'd because I thought the ending sucked. Out of the choices I supposed you save the town though. You can't bring yourself to let 1 person die so you'll let the whole town go? That's far from the sophies choice moment they made it out to be. The choice should have been let chloe die or both of them jump off the cliff and just take themselves out of the loop.

#2 Posted by N7 (4159 posts) -

Wow did you know that DONTNOD's name is the same forwards and backwards? I just noticed that.

Anyway, I saved Chloe. I didn't want anyone else to die, but, well, that was my decision. My spunky blue haired waifu ain't dying.

#3 Posted by Draugen (978 posts) -

I sacrificed the bay. I figured there'd be survivors, and with Kate being dead, there were no-one left I cared about more than Chloe. It's a shame about Chloe's mom, but she's had a decent run, and Chloe hasn't. It was the thought of the life of this timeline's Chloe that clinched it though. She's had nothing but misery since the death of her dad. She's lost Rachel, and now she's to die in a flithy bathroom, never having met her best friend Max again?

Eff that ess! To hell with the world, we're driving into the sunset, together.

#4 Edited by NeverGameOver (902 posts) -

I think that sacrificing Chloe is probably what the writers intended but I think would have sacrificed Arcadia Bay.

A lot of people seem to think that sacrificing Chloe is the right choice because you are undoing all of the harm that your time reversals have caused. What those people seem to be missing is that you have to manipulate time in order to achieve that, and your time manipulation is what is causing the world to go to shit in the first place. You can't just keep going rewinding time to fix things. At some point, you need to live with the consequences of your choices and stop trying to fix everything because you're only going to make it worse. So when you are standing there at the lighthouse, you should probably recognize -- "hey, I know that I want to rewind time to undo what I've done -- but really, this entire game has been about me rewinding time to fix shit and each time, it seems to get worse. Maybe I should stop abusing my power and just let shit happen." For that reason, I'd have put my foot down and decided to stop using my power forever, even if my intention in doing so was to fix the problems that my power had caused to begin with.

Also, I'll add that the saving one vs saving many argument is such a reductive garbage way of thinking that I almost don't even care to respond to it. You can't just boil these decisions down to numbers. Like if you don't think I'd rather 2 strangers die than my mother, you're fucking insane. It sounds callous but it's true: the reality is that not every person on this planet is equally important to me. If they all were, I'd have donated all of my possessions to charity rather than trying to carve out a life for my family.

#5 Posted by SgtSphynx (2617 posts) -

When I played through, I picked Save Arcadia Bay thinking I could rewind and pick the other ending. Oops. Played the chapter afterwards and picked Save Chloe, and while it obviously didn't get as much attention as saving Arcadia Bay, that is my canonical ending. Fuck fate.

#6 Edited by Firepaw (3134 posts) -

I played through it, and I picked Sacrifice Arcadia Bay - I couldn't lose Chloe, neither as Max or as myself.

Funny that at this moment, I played the game and sacrificed Arcadia Bay and I watched the game and would choose sacrifice Chloe are equal in the lead.

#7 Edited by fnrslvr (579 posts) -

I played the game.

@maginnovision said:

I only watched, and I probably would have alt+f4'd because I thought the ending sucked.

I can see the appeal in this.

I sacced Arcadia Bay. It's not so much that I was in love with Chloe (she's cool and I feel for her, but I normally wouldn't give up a town for her), but rather that DONTNOD did a lot of great world-building early on in Max's interactions with the school and the town and its environments and ensemble of characters and the way that world developed, and I felt like both options were sacrificing that world they had constructed -- the kill Chloe option, in fact, more so than the destroy Arcadia Bay option. I just wish that they didn't go the Butterfly Effect/Donnie Darko route, there was plenty of juice exploring the limits of the local rewind mechanic and just their general attention to domestic/social/women issues to sustain the entire season.

Also, this is probably a tad hypocritical of me, because I consider Majora's Mask to be my favourite game in large part because it so callously scrubs your actions from the world every 72 in-game hours. I think the difference there is that, by living the same 72 hours over and over again (modulo your interactions with it), the game builds a sense of narrative routine that establishes the world and its characters without it having to set a chronology in stone. By comparison, LiS leaves you largely unfamiliar with the state you leave the world in unless you choose to trash it for Chloe, and that just doesn't sit well with me.

EDIT: it helped Chloe's case that Max+Chloe was the OTP and I wanted the lesbian romance in the video game to work out.

#8 Posted by forkboy (1650 posts) -

@maginnovision: I've said this in other threads about this game but the reason to sacrifice the town & save Chloe was...not an easy choice but ultimately the only one I could. I think it's interesting that thus far in the voting more people who have played the game saved Chloe than those who watched it. I suspect that comes down to some of the choices that Vinny, Alex & Austin made during their playthrough & the consequences that they saw. If you saw a game where Kate dies because you couldn't say anything to save her, and where Victoria never has a moment of sincere discussion with Max (among other things that stand out), taking the decision to say "fuck you" to the seeming inevitability of fate/destiny's death wish for Chloe seemed bold and the right thing to do.

Ultimately I thought the bond between Chloe and Max was strong enough to justify making that choice. If I was given the the binary choice you have proposed I suspect I'd have felt robbed: I didn't need finality because I don't think that was the story that Dontnod were trying to tell.

#9 Posted by MikeLemmer (1534 posts) -

I would sacrifice Chloe. The clincher for me is that Chloe was begging Max to go back in time and sacrifice her to save her family. Saving her would not only mean letting thousands die, but also going against her express wishes because you wanted to be with her.

#10 Edited by SilversunZer0 (74 posts) -

Played through the last chapter the day it was released and chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay. I like to role play as a character, and "my" Max couldn't sacrifice Chloe after all that had happened before. It kind of bummed me out that my ending felt a little short-changed compared to the alternate, but I can't be mad at DONTNOD, they did an incredible job. Still think about this game months later - can't remember the last time that happened. Can't wait to see what they do next!

#11 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3848 posts) -

I watched the guys playing it with my girlfriend and we got confused for a bit because we forgot that the thing that set this whole thing off was Max stopping Chloe getting capped at the start. When we realized that it made it the obvious choice that it had to happen.

Have the developers ever said what happens next if you save Chloe? Like Arcadia Bay has to just be the start doesn't it? Keeping Chloe alive must continue to cause these time rift events and ultimately bring more and more chaos to the world right?

#12 Posted by Dave_Tacitus (2459 posts) -

@jesus_phish: I took it as a Thelma & Louise moment. You see them heading off into the unknown in Chloe's truck...

I saved Chloe, didn't give it a second thought either. I've watched my best friend die and wasn't about to do the same thing in some damn vidya game.

#13 Posted by CaLe (4799 posts) -

I had no problem killing those 3 doctors, so you can guess where my feelings on things like this lie. The world can burn in the flames of eternal torment as long as I get my way.

#14 Edited by davidh219 (904 posts) -

Also, I'll add that the saving one vs saving many argument is such a reductive garbage way of thinking that I almost don't even care to respond to it. You can't just boil these decisions down to numbers. Like if you don't think I'd rather 2 strangers die than my mother, you're fucking insane. It sounds callous but it's true: the reality is that not every person on this planet is equally important to me. If they all were, I'd have donated all of my possessions to charity rather than trying to carve out a life for my family.

Exactly. I think when a lot of people pick the altruistic "save many" option they're doing so purely as an intellectual exercise, because it's a freaking video game and the sacrifice isn't really a sacrifice for them. If it was real life, I highly doubt even 50% would choose to sacrifice their significant other for the greater good. To that end, I would've saved Chloe, because that's absolutely what I would do in real life.

#15 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3848 posts) -

A lot of people seem to think that sacrificing Chloe is the right choice because you are undoing all of the harm that your time reversals have caused. What those people seem to be missing is that you have to manipulate time in order to achieve that, and your time manipulation is what is causing the world to go to shit in the first place. You can't just keep going rewinding time to fix things. At some point, you need to live with the consequences of your choices and stop trying to fix everything because you're only going to make it worse. So when you are standing there at the lighthouse, you should probably recognize -- "hey, I know that I want to rewind time to undo what I've done -- but really, this entire game has been about me rewinding time to fix shit and each time, it seems to get worse. Maybe I should stop abusing my power and just let shit happen." For that reason, I'd have put my foot down and decided to stop using my power forever, even if my intention in doing so was to fix the problems that my power had caused to begin with.

I disagree on that. I think what's causing all the harm is that you've changed your timeline with a single action and that you keep altering the timeline based on things that shouldn't be happening in the original timeline, but are because of that initial drop causing a ripple effect. By going back in time one last time, the original timeline is restored. For me, Max going back in time isn't the problem. It's her going back and doing something she shouldn't that's the problem.

You're right that every time she does it, it gets worse, but if she never alters the original timeline, there's no need for her to start altering it further and further and making it worse and worse. So yes, she should stop abusing her power and just let shit happen, but to fix everything she has to use her power one more time and then let shit happen and live with the consequences.

The point at which she has to live with those consequences are when Chloe get's shot the first time.

#16 Posted by Megabattimus (145 posts) -

I Sacrificed Chloe. Whole game to me was about Max learning to let go of Chloe and move on, no matter how hard and heartbreaking that may be.

Also don't really see the other ending staying particularly happy after the credits roll, especially if Max still has her powers. Like yeah, they ride off happy, but who's to say Chloe doesn't eventually develop severe depression over living instead of an entire town?

Maybe it's just the way I am, but I can only conjure up dark possibilities for the second ending, like Chloe trying to kill herself and Max constantly rewinding to keep her alive, refusing to let her die.

I dunno, Saving Chloe feels like the selfish ending that turns them into assholes, especially since it seems like neither of them go looking for any survivors and just drive off. I'm not dissing anyone who doesn't see it the same way, quite the opposite honestly, but that's just how it comes off to me.

#17 Posted by aktivity (461 posts) -

Chloe all day, everyday. Could not care less about Arcadia.

#18 Posted by ottoman673 (1269 posts) -

I sacrificed chloe but the way both endings were written was shit.

That one is the better of the two though, because I'm not a selfish prick and believe in the greater good. Chloe was ready to die anyway.

#19 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7538 posts) -

The game demonstrates repeatedly that Chloe is FATED to die. Max has learned repeatedly that nothing she does with time to retry the variables changes that fact, nor that William must die, or the fact that Joyce will just scrape by financially no matter who she is married to in any reality.

The biggest indicator of that is that when Chloe dies THAT is shown as the happy ending. The ending where Chloe is chosen is dour. An ending of a community with a coming together and Max able to smile...or an ending with a community dead with Max and Chloe SHOWN not talking and not smiling.

You really think they were equal choices? LOL You get to choose, but you have no right to see the characters happy if you choose the selfish ending. If that infuriates you; well, too bad, because that's life. Life is _____________ pain, hard, choices we must make.

#20 Posted by JasonR86 (10246 posts) -

I played and sacrificed Chloe. Not only because of the 'many versus one' argument but also because that was the decision she had made for herself. Also what sort of relationship would they have had with the deaths of hundreds of people hanging over their heads? Her death seemed the only reasonable option. Sometimes it's time for people to pass away and there's nothing we can do about it. Which I think was the game's whole narrative focus for Chloe. She was meant to die the day Max got her powers and at the end I think she knew it. So I, as Max, let it happen because it seemed the only correct thing to do.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
#21 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2961 posts) -

I chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay because I thought the tornado was stupid and wanted to see what happened if you completely went against the whole "letting go" lesson from the alternate timeline and everything everyone asked you to do in the final episode. Then I was appropriately disappointed, went back and did the fleshed out ending instead. And was relatively satisfied.

#22 Posted by Jaymii (195 posts) -

I sacrificed Chloe because that's what Chloe wanted. I couldn't handle the idea of sacrificing Arcadia Bay and still losing Chloe because of my own selfishness.

#23 Posted by L1GHTN1N (1996 posts) -

Saved Chloe. Even in the moment I knew it was the probably "wrong" choice but I couldn't bring myself to let her go.

I also agreed with Joel in The Last of Us so at least I'm consistent.

#24 Posted by wchigo (900 posts) -

I've only watched GBeast's playthrough but I chose sacrifice Chloe, for many of the reasons that have already been previously mentioned in the thread (particular what @megabattimus said).

#25 Posted by Shivoa (1588 posts) -

First time through I saved Chloe. Because in the moment I couldn't make any other choice (because fuck Bury Your Gays). Even if the game heavily pushes you the other way and I didn't listen to Chloe. Unlike previously when I had listened to her in the alternate reality (now that would be an interesting stat that Dontnod don't surface: how many people flipped between Chloe asking to die at the start of episode 4 and asking to die at the end of episode 5).

I basically, upon reflection, immediately went back and completed with the other path. And that was a much more satisfying, if emotionally fraught, ending.

I didn't agree with Joel in The Last of Us (and I read that last look by Ellie as being disappointment in being lied to but the realisation that this is all there is - acceptance through Joel's Love-fueled-deceit that the world is rotten and you keep slogging through it because what else is there), so I guess my second path better reflects where I stand.

#26 Edited by HatKing (7451 posts) -

I hate the sacrifice Arcadia Bay ending so much that I think it actually hurts the game overall by even being an option. Not only does her making, yet another, selfish choice just to keep Chloe alive break some of the best themes present in the game (e.g.: becoming an adult, accepting her grief, lost love), the way it plays out doesn't make practical sense and is really disrespectful to the character they created in Chloe.

As soon as you let her family die, who she just asked begged you to save, she just disarms and says something along the lines of "I'll always be with you." Up until that moment she was always strong willed and never gave a hint of being the type that wants to be rescued. It's so painfully pandering to the people who just want to see them together that it doesn't even consider the fact that they just demonized their two leads. "Too bad about these atrocities we had to commit" they must think as they coast over the corpses of their graduating class on their way off into the perfect sunset.

#27 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7538 posts) -

Just as a side note:
I can see the desire to have "other" options, or not having Chloe live seeming so Pyrrhic. But, think the game becomes meaningless if everyone lives and everyone is happily ever after.

#28 Edited by Butler (452 posts) -

After having watched both endings, more effort was definitely put into the save Arcadia Bay one which was a bummer for me because the other ending was just lackluster. Even if they wanted to portray it as a "bad" ending they didn't really do it that well in my opinion. The resentment felt by Chloe towards Max and the guilt felt by both could have been shown better. It just seemed forced and rushed almost.

I would have personally chosen to save Chloe because at the onset of this game she is out of the life of Max but through this endless and timeless week a relationship buds and I'm a sucker for love. And if it is the kinda of love that transcends physics, time, and space then that is more true for me. So the choice would have been simple for me.

I listened to the soundtrack before the game finished and immediately loved the Spanish Sahara song and it's use as the ending song was amazing for me.

#29 Posted by Shivoa (1588 posts) -

I wonder if the poll will shift or if (8 hours/~150 votes in) we're seeing approximately the end result [current poll numbers: 50/50 for save vs sacrifice Chloe for players; 70/30 split for sacrificing Chloe for watchers].

After playing episode 4 I started to wonder if the extreme length of Life is Strange (whatever you say about the game, being "tightly written" is not one of its attributes) is part of what allows it to land such blows (at least for those who did find it affecting rather than being pushed away by elements of it). The spaces to just sit and think (effectively where Max chats to the player); the 3+ hour episode times; the limited scope which makes a lot of that run-time into the Max & Chloe show: I think this all contributes to what draws some people in. The choices can be hard because players have lived with the characters for enough time to form attachments. Something possible because games typically run much longer (for how much narrative they contain - they generally include far more slack time between beats, often necessarily to give space for gameplay challenges).

It's interesting to see that Dontnod's stats and this GB poll show players are split over the choice while viewers are following the clear narrative prodding of the game that promotes the sacrifice Chloe ending. Playing the game, necessarily being engaged and asked to constantly make choices (because games are choices, even if you don't think they "matter" to the story, your brain is processing these are things to choose, from which way you decide to walk to how you resolve a dialogue chain), possibly increases the chances of forming an attachment to Chloe that makes it harder to accept the story's suggestion of which option to pick at the end.

#30 Posted by isomeri (3120 posts) -

I chose to sacrifice Chloe, because I figured that "the cosmic karma" or whatever force was behind the tornado wouldn't be satisfied until she was dead. Max would just have to save her again and again and again in the future. Also it's what Chloe wanted so I wanted to respect her wish.

#31 Posted by StarvingGamer (11518 posts) -

@monkeyking1969: What if I don't believe in fate?

@hatking: I don't know about you but if someone I loved just made an impossible decision and chose me over the "greater good", my immediate reaction would not be "fuck you bra!"

@butler: I think the point was not to make it into the "bad" ending because the entire game deals in shades of gray. Both endings are shitty in their own ways but both also have some hope.

#32 Posted by DefaultProphet (840 posts) -

I just watched the guys play but I wanted Austin to reach over and hit save Chloe so bad.

That being said I went back and watched that ending and man save the bay ending is so much better it's not even funny.

#33 Posted by StarvingGamer (11518 posts) -

One thing that nobody mentions, it seems like everyone who chooses to sacrifice Chloe is approaching this from the perspective of a person consuming a piece of entertainment. We understand that this is a work of genre fiction and so, of course, sacrificing Chloe would fix the chaos theory pseudoscience mumbo jumbo. That's just how these stories work. But put yourself in Max's shoes. Would you really sacrifice a loved one because maybe it might save an indeterminate number of people who are largely strangers/acquaintances based on a spur-of-the-moment theory a teenage friend who happens to have watched a lot of sci-fi movies rambled at you?

I would never sacrifice my wife and kids, let alone according to random guesswork on a phenomenon that is infinitely outside the grasp of the entire history of human knowledge.

#34 Posted by sodapop7 (657 posts) -

I know why Max would have struggled mightily with it but I didn't connect with Chloe personally much at all. Also I'd interacted well with enough people in town that choosing to sacrifice them would've been pretty terrible.

Also I had a better time accepting the "you can't really change the past" ending (it was rough for sure) than I would have the other ending which I'm not sure what the message was at all. Why would that tornado have been the end of their problems? I would assume they drive off smiling and the universe blinks out of existence so that didn't work out too well.

#35 Edited by odinsmana (982 posts) -

@starvinggamer: To counter that there is also nothing in fiction that says that the storm and other time related weirdness is going to stop with Arcadia bay. That storm could just continue through the country destroying cities along the way.

While I like the choice, the setup for it is really clunky and arbitrary. I think we just kind of have to accept that things are the way Chloe says they are.

#36 Posted by forkboy (1650 posts) -

@jaymii: Did she? I mean I know she said she accepted it but that's because in the situation she was in she saw no alternative. Perhaps she did not understand how strong Max's feelings for her were, but there also seemed to be an element of blaming herself for how fucked up things were and what was happening, because it appeared to be her death which caused the spiral that lead to the twister. But surely nobody would actually blame Chloe for that. Often when people are very emotional and decide that their death is for the best from a utilitarian perspective, and they hold that belief sincerely, we act against that feeling.

@hatking:I really like that perspective, hadn't considered it like that. I still don't actually agree with it & certainly didn't feel that the ending I chose was pandering (there are some dark moments in there & not just the obvious shots of wrecked buildings, but just in the background you see a body out of the window for example), but the idea that it's disrespectful & shows Chloe giving up is certainly an interesting one. I definitely didn't see it like that and new, considered perspectives are always interesting. Though I do think you are seeing the game in slightly more terms of black & white than me, and yeah, I'm not sure selfishness is really a theme that stops being applicable in a coming of age story for example. Just because a choice is selfish doesn't mean it wasn't also the right choice narratively.

#37 Posted by StarvingGamer (11518 posts) -

@odinsmana: Sure, and sacrificing the bay could lead to the invention of replicator technology or sacrificing her could cause the Earth to explode. My only point is that from Max's perspective, literally anything could happen no matter what choice she makes. The only outcome she has 100% certainty of is whether or not Chloe dies in that bathroom. Everything else is a shot in the dark.

#38 Edited by HatKing (7451 posts) -

@starvinggamer: Max let Chloe's entire family die. Chloe begged her not to do it. As detached as Chloe might seem, it's pretty well established that her demeanor is a defense mechanism she's built and that she doesn't actually dislike her family or want the people she knows to die.

Beyond that, the events up to that point are making it clear to Max that she can't stop fate and is supposed to accept her grief. The nightmare sequence can easily be interpreted as her flailing trying to manage the power in a way that gets her the outcome she desires, despite it being impossible. Why would she have the notion that sacrificing the town would be the end of it? They spend the four previous episodes basically hammering in the fact that her running away from her grief is just hurting everybody around her and making everything worse. It makes narrative sense, both thematically and for the character, that the climax would be accepting what was done and facing her grief instead of trying yet another way to fix reality.

Basically, what frustrates me, is that with the sacrifice Arcadia Bay ending, there is no narrative closure. It's just another selfish choice Max makes in a long series of choices. It doesn't say anything other than what was already proven. With that ending, the game could have just as easily ended at any other point she "saved Chloe". The only take away is Max likes Chloe more than other people.

#39 Edited by flameboy84 (893 posts) -

To my mind if I saved Chloe it could have created further problems past the Arcadia Bay storm, for me sacrificing Chloe after she comes to terms with the fact that she has to die was the real way to end that game.

I still have issues with the method in that she has to use time travel to get back to that point so to speak. It seems to tell us that all the time messing shenanigans are causing the problem a large part of which is Chloe dying. She's still time travelling wouldn't that inherently start issue? Even though it was things were intended to be a timeline where Chloe died and there was a funeral etc...never came to exist until Max created it by going back and doing nothing. As those events never played out as Max changed the events instantly in the first episode.

#40 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (7538 posts) -
@starvinggamer said:

@monkeyking1969: What if I don't believe in fate?

The game world certainly does believe in fate. Chloe, in less than a week, gets get shot by Nathan, gets shoot again by her own hand, and get run over by a train. Then, in an alternate time line she is crippled, and is in so much pain she asks to die. Finally, in yet another timeline gets possibly stabbed by frank or attacked by a dog, and finally shot in the head by Jefferson. You can rewind time as much as you want, but if you tell Chloe to shoot the bumper she get plugged in the gut...random chance is not operating to put in anywhere else.

The game doesn't care what we believe or want to believe. I don't believe in time travel or butterfly effect; but I accept -in this story- it exists as solidly as the whales on the beach. The reader/watcher/player can no more deiced to not see fate in the story, than they can not see not see elves or goblins in Lord of the Ring - the reader/player does not get to decide that.

#41 Edited by StarvingGamer (11518 posts) -

@hatking: We have no idea who did or didn't die in the tornado. Also I don't believe in fate so none of that was made clear to me.

@monkeyking1969: That's still only your interpretation. It could just as easily be a series of coincidences, just like when anyone in the real world has a string of horrible events befall them in a short period of time. There is nothing in the game that explicitly presents fate as an existing force. The problem with your example of shooting the bumper over and over again is you are ascribing thematic intent to a design limitation of the medium. Otherwise every adventure game that exists is driven by fate.

EDIT: And to call back to my other post, even if I believe in fate or you believe in fate or even the game explicitly tells us yo, this is fate, the only thing that really matters is, in that moment, does Max believe we are at the mercy of some sort of cosmic destiny? Mine didn't. End of story.

#42 Edited by afabs515 (2005 posts) -

I watched GBeast play through this game, and I'm glad that's how I experienced it. Personally, I would have chosen to sacrifice Arcadia Bay. I like the argument Austin made that Max wouldn't sacrifice Chloe, so they shouldn't sacrifice her either. I personally didn't think of the choice that way, and I would have saved Chloe just because I like her and the game did a great job of selling me on the Max/Chloe friendship/romance. It's too bad I hear that ending is terrible, because the sacrifice Chloe ending was actually pretty good and resonated with me emotionally, and would have loved an equivalent ending on the other side.

#43 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (7538 posts) -

@hatking: We have no idea who did or didn't die in the tornado. Also I don't believe in fate so none of that was made clear to me.

@monkeyking1969: That's still only your interpretation. It could just as easily be a series of coincidences, just like when anyone in the real world has a string of horrible events befall them in a short period of time. There is nothing in the game that explicitly presents fate as an existing force. The problem with your example of shooting the bumper over and over again is you are ascribing thematic intent to a design limitation of the medium. Otherwise every adventure game that exists is driven by fate.

The same outcome even for highly randoms events like a ricochet, until Max changes something Chloe dies. Random evens that are not changed after multiple 'rolls of the dice' are fate. There is no statistical model where you repeat random events like a ricochet to get the same result.

#44 Posted by Cav829 (827 posts) -

@afabs515 said:

It's too bad I hear that ending is terrible, because the sacrifice Chloe ending was actually pretty good and resonated with me emotionally, and would have loved an equivalent ending on the other side.

It's not so much terrible as it's rather ambiguous and the execution of it is is just "okay" versus the "Sacrifice Chloe" ending which is freakin' fantastic. It's a very French ending to be reductive. In some ways it is hurt because that other ending is so damn good that it's annoying there is a disparity in quality. I think it puts the characters in the right spot in the end though. It invokes such a different set of emotions though in the process. It's so hard to compare the two as I almost think they're for two different sets of people. I'm not sure you're meant to love both endings kind of in the way say you're supposed to think one ending of Silent Hill 2 is the "correct" one based on your personal views.

By the way,for anyone interested, this just came in on my Twitter feed:

#45 Posted by StarvingGamer (11518 posts) -

@monkeyking1969: Except it's a video game and functions exactly the same as almost every decision you make in any game ever.

#46 Posted by project343 (2897 posts) -

I sacrificed Chloe. It seemed like the most appropriate, canonical ending.

#47 Posted by The_Nubster (4098 posts) -

Without going into it too much, I chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay. Chloe is a lot like someone I used to know and her personality and outlok on things dredged up some old, painful memories I have. I know it doesn't complete Max's character arc (learning to accept inevitability, letting go, etc.) but I know what I would do with that power and it is 100% saving the person who meant so much to me.

I know people are down on the ending where Chloe survives, but just seeing Max and Chloe together and embarking on whatever it is that they're going to do was enough for me. Painful, sad, bittersweet, but I just couldn't let Chloe go.

#48 Posted by PajamuraiX (30 posts) -

Me as a video game player would have picked Sacrifice Chloe, thinking rationally about the lives in Arcadia Bay that would be lost otherwise. HOWEVER, I think if I were in Max's teen shoes I would have made the opposite choice in the moment. I was a really emotional teenager who got easily swept up in my own feelings and world, and I think within that context, and the context of the rest of the games events, if I had gone through that as the selfish, emotional teenager I was, in that moment I would sacrifice Arcadia Bay and run away with Chloe, believing that our love and friendship is more important.

#49 Edited by NTM (11755 posts) -

I played it, sacrificing Chloe. I saw the other ending after, and it was bad. It only makes sense to sacrifice her. The ending of going back to where you started was predictable from the get-go, when you learn she has time powers, though I thought it was going to be Max dying, not Chloe. This seems weird; I was playing it from directly after the first quick look of Life is Strange went up, at the time it seemed like people didn't care about it, and then after it was all done, while I still really enjoyed it, I feel like other people talked about it way more after I was done talking about it. I guess more people watched/played it after it was all out as opposed to playing them as they came out.

#50 Posted by Damntheman (16 posts) -

I watched it with the Beast crew and personally would have been so utterly destroyed by having to make the choice that I would have left it at the decision screen and gone for a walk. (I think Jeff said GTA IV made him do the same thing once now that I think about it...) Anyway, that alone says to me that the game was done well and has motivated me to go and buy a copy for myself.

In the end I probably would have chosen to save Chloe. I'm stubborn about learning lessons and would have kept trying to change time to save more of Arcadia bay if I could, worsening storms be damned. I don't know what Max would have done but I'm certain that if the roles were flipped, there's no way Chloe would be the practical utilitarian one and let Max die. Self sacrifice is easy, but killing Max I can't imagine. So Chloe will understand Max's choice even if she disagrees.

Also years later I can just come back with three versions of myself and trap Arcadia bay in a pocket universe before the Daleks Hurricane hits.